AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-11-13, 13:01   Link #881
Sides

Fam is so adorable.
As for the episode, it was kind of weird how they manage to takeover the ship.
I don't really get what function Teddy serve. Is he some kind of private secretary/butler?
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 13:06   Link #882
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Fam is so adorable.
As for the episode, it was kind of weird how they manage to takeover the ship.
I don't really get what function Teddy serve. Is he some kind of private secretary/butler?
He's Millia's butler.
Old 2011-11-13, 14:25   Link #883
ookamigirl

Fam sure took on a pretty hard task.
I just wish there was a little more action and little less everyday stuff.
Well, at least the princess fit in well into their merry little group ^^

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 16:16   Link #884
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Nice to see the old man still playing chess. Nice job by Fam and Gisey to get the warship, 1 down and 14 t go. Lol Millia in the maid outfit and taking over the kitchen.
Old 2011-11-13, 16:17   Link #885
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
He's Millia's butler.
But he calls her Princess though, he feels more like a servant.

Anyways, how old is Millia again? Seems awfully inappropriate for all those grown engineers to be creeping over her. Taking over that Ades ship felt a bit 'too' easy. I guess it's good that they set up the captain as incompetent from an earlier episode though. I bet he's going to be demoted after this now.

Also, anyone else love how they wear clothing that actually makes sense for what they're doing? Granted, they should be wearing helmets with mouth guards too, but it might make it hard to tell who's who in a battle.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 16:51   Link #886
TheKage

Teddy is more like a servant than a butler. He's not in charge of any other servants and he's Millia's personal assistant. I don't know how his calling her Princess means anything though.

Millia's 15. I don't think they're not creeping over her. She's a Princess. They're not doing anything over the fact that she's a young girl but the fact that there's a Princess on-board the Silvius. Age is weird in Last Exile. I always forget that Sophia was only 19 in the first series, 21 now.
TheKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 18:10   Link #887
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Touch and Move

I found it even funnier Millia's seizing of the kitchen in exchange for a shower room, three rooms, and a little part of the galley to begin the Exiled Kingdom of Turran onboard the Sylvius, taking too literally to heart Fam's advice that everywhere is the home, as long as you have government (Millia), people (Teddy), and land (Millia's granted concessions onboard)

They even threw a party in conmemoration of the birth of new Turran, in spite of being too micro of a state, and being a state withing a moving ship.

By the way, in my last episode's post I chose not to touch the subject between Dio and Tatiana, thinking it was unnecessary to post a trivial thing about those two characters having met beforehand in the previous series, but pleasantly this episode did touch the subject.

This makes me wonder if the Sylvius is....
Spoiler:

I really wonder how short of a time took them to return to Earth, since Tatiana and the other veteran characters just aged barely a couple of years?
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 18:59   Link #888
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
This makes me wonder if the Sylvius is....
Spoiler:

I really wonder how short of a time took them to return to Earth, since Tatiana and the other veteran characters just aged barely a couple of years?

Frankly there's nothing on just how fast the Exile really is, and how far Prester is with relation to the Solar System. The bridge manga alludes though that the transit time was very brief though.

As for the Silvius, evidence for the time being point to it being an entirely different ship, though the fact
Spoiler for This episode:
Old 2011-11-13, 22:24   Link #889
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
I found it even funnier Millia's seizing of the kitchen in exchange for a shower room, three rooms, and a little part of the galley to begin the Exiled Kingdom of Turran onboard the Sylvius, taking too literally to heart Fam's advice that everywhere is the home, as long as you have government (Millia), people (Teddy), and land (Millia's granted concessions onboard)
I am of the impression that Millia didn't get what she demanded and was given just that one mess table in the end (notice how the booth was specially marked out with yellow tape; also take note of what Fam said, that Millia's "new kingdom" would begin from there). The result isn't surprising — it's hard to take a powerless princess seriously. It's even harder to take a powerless princess who dresses as a maid seriously. Why should a captain, who's the sovereign of her own ship, cede anything more than necessary to a princess in exile?

Despite its somewhat unnecessary "cutesy" moments, Ep5 was enjoyable thanks to Fam's lovable antics. This is anime after all. I can easily forgive the moe elements as long as the story and characters continue to gel as a whole.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2011-11-13 at 23:13.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 01:31   Link #890
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

1. A butler is a servant. Just a fairly high servant. But I see Teddy more as a personal servant or footman than as a butler.

2. I love a lot of things about this show, but Fam herself is not making the impact on me that I expected. Maybe the voice isn't there for me, and maybe it's the fact that she looks too young and too much like Mickey Mouse for me to take the character seriously in context.

3. And I thought putting Milia in a maid outfit was quite silly. It did not fit the situation, and was just a servicey trope imported from very different anime. How on Earth would an actual princess be willing to dress as a maid? It undercuts her whole program.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 01:48   Link #891
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
I'm not worried, it's only episode 5. If anything, this series is one episode ahead of its predecessor. In the first Last Exile, episode 5 was when Claus and Lavie first make it aboard the Silvana.
Yeah we are aren't we? This show is in no way slow, I find it funny because after the first two episodes were non-stop story and action some were like "give us some slow non-crisis character time/build-up" so if you think about it now we get basically the utterly excellent 3 which was real strong character growth stuff and also was packed with other big things like how it showed Fam seriously take in all the events that had occurred showing her other side for the first time in a quiet moment (and the real intro of her past and Giselle and the Sky Pirates and how they really live) and maybe merely half of 4 and 5 being light character stuff while still paired with nice action and story in 4-5's other halves with the half in ep 4 even being really important action/story with the introduction of the Silvius itself and the first time seeing it in action and Fam getting beaten for the first time, and the supposedly lighter half of ep 4 having the huge scene for Giselle's character where she deconstructs the Silvius, just can't please everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ookamigirl View Post
Fam so doesn't look 16 at all! A bit weird.
The story is developing really slow and it's kinda starting to annoy me.
The flying around parts were actually pretty interesting and so was the ending.
I dunno I just see Fam a bit like Ed in FMA, shorter than his age, I think her old-school flight gear helps too.

I disagree, there were a lot of bits slipped into this episode, and the capturing of the ships will obviously serve a double purpose, not to mention Dio catching Tatiana and Alister up on the huge events he (and we) witnessed in the first two eps which brought some surprises for them.

Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I am of the impression that Millia didn't get what she demanded and was given just that one mess table in the end (notice how the booth was specially marked out with yellow tape; also take note of what Fam said, that Millia's "new kingdom" would begin from there). The result isn't surprising — it's hard to take a powerless princess seriously. It's even harder to take a powerless princess who dresses as a maid seriously. Why should a captain, who's the sovereign of her own ship, cede anything more than necessary to a princess in exile?

Despite its somewhat unnecessary "cutesy" moments, Ep5 was enjoyable thanks to Fam's lovable antics. This is anime after all. I can easily forgive the moe elements as long as the story and characters continue to gel as a whole.
Indeed

Yeah, it was still pretty enjoyable and the other parts of the ep were really good.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-11-14 at 02:22.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 02:03   Link #892
hoarfrost

I...am beginning to have problems here. You're losing me now, GNF. Beginning with the Silvius and her crew. Let me just say emphatically that the Silvius is no Silvanna. The crew all appear to be a bunch of pretty teenagers, not the seasoned professionals one would expect from a ship called the Reaper, feared by all in the sky. I guess we can chalk this up to Gonzo being tryhards as of late. The maid thing was insultingly transparent. It's like I can vividly see a bunch of Gonzo staff sitting in a room:

"What can we do to make sure that people buy this?"

"Let's make the whole main cast young girls! In fact, let's lower the age of everyone. We can even throw in maids. That'll get those impressionable mouth breathers valued customers buying the DVD/BR releases!"

The only highlight of the episode for me was the Ades Federation's announcement that they are annexing Turan and the accompanying speech. Millia has become so enthused about leading Turan, I'd like to see how her vision reconciles with the fate of the people of Gonia. In fact, I'd love to see an exchange of words between Millia and the Ades girl.

But man, right now I'm just not feeling this at all. All of these things are too distracting to me.
hoarfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 02:15   Link #893
djmaca
My Girl ↓

(╯°□°)╯︵ ʎɹɐʇılıW sǝp∀

The Ades has total wuss for soldiers. I mean who the hell would fall for a con so obvious?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ︵ Millia

I wonder if the cosplay was for as Millia said it was for, or she just wanted to try making Fam all buttery down there. And how did that even get there?
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 02:16   Link #894
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I wonder....how much of that adoration for Augusta was real....
Old 2011-11-14, 05:07   Link #895
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
As for the Silvius, evidence for the time being point to it being an entirely different ship, though the fact
Spoiler for This episode:
just a quick reply on what i think.

I think Dagobert is the most qualified (non-evil guildsman) CLU operator in Prester at the moment, he may have knowledge of the Clauda Jamming Technology in use and can better address the situation if such jamming is inplace (he may be the reason why Gisey's perfectly aimed shot failed). Despite being very valuable, Dagobert himself may have asked Sophia for the posting, as he is probably interested in Earth as well.

He may have convinced a few of the remaining qualified Guildsmen / trained some Alliance Engineers the basics of CLU operation, since basically it would only consist of:

- startup and shutdown
- maintenance
- altitude control
- thrust control
- emergency response
- separation procedure (just in case )

well or he may have written a manual of operation- given his years, and that is being used back home for training CLU operators.
Saint X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 08:00   Link #896
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Head of State

Millia’s sheltered lifestyle is probably partly to blame for her unconventional approach to convincing the male dominated crew to give her some ship space to set up her domain. She’s fully serious now, if only to make a symbolic declaration that Turan continues to exist. Her seriousness includes dressing in a manner that would be considered too embarrassing for more regular folk, so it probably doesn’t dawn on her that most girls wouldn’t be caught dead on a maid uniform, at least in our (the viewer’s) day and age. Probably acceptable behavior in their era.

This doesn’t diminish her intentions for her people and her nation though. Silliness aside, she didn’t do it with the excessive amounts of sugar coated moe that most attempts in such attire would have demanded. She had a very serious air and intent with her, just too bad that being in that get up makes it kind of difficult to take her seriously. In the end she succeeds in claiming a small section on the Sylvius as extended domain of the Kingdom of Turan. It’s pretty obvious that Tatiana and the crew gladly gave her the space, and even a good dinner with it to boot, but you can’t say she didn’t try to earn it. If you perhaps just imagine that she wasn’t wearing a damned maid outfit when she made the speech to the ship, you’d see a very determined princess behind the frills.

Just like the original crew, there’s a reason (albeit hidden) that the ship is just flying around seemingly doing nothing. And just like the original series, we don’t know it yet. This is a brave new world for the ship’s crew so it’d be strange and pointless for the crew to just be flying around on what amounts to be one of the most high tech and powerful ships in the known planet. Alex Rowe and much of the original crew had a purpose as they flew around in search of Exile. Now that they’re back in the land of their ancestors, I surmise that they fly around not only to survey the world around them, but to also get a first hand view of the conflicts in their ancestral planet and to find out where the newly returned prodigal children stand. The purpose of securing ships for the Sylvius and by extension Turan seems to serve more than a simple military one, but they are tools of war, so combat is inevitable.

There is the question of whether the newly returned exiles have their own land or nation to call their own, and I believe that they probably do, and the crew of the Sylvius have realized that this is a war torn planet like their old one, and one that necessitates that they defend themselves once again.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 08:25   Link #897
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

I've only recently finished marathon-ing the first series of Last Exile to get some background on this new series, and I can see why many people considered the original to be a classic. The OP of the original series feels unique, matching the somewhat dark tone of the conflicts of Anatoray, Disith, the Guild and the Sylvana crew... whilst this new OP seems to show the somewhat lighter tone of the show, one of hope.
(Admittedly, I don't think I know everything needed to fully understand and enjoy this show...)
Spoiler for Episode 5:

Spoiler for Misc. questions and thoughts (original series spoilers):
Old 2011-11-14, 08:35   Link #898
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Millia’s sheltered lifestyle is probably partly to blame for her unconventional approach to convincing the male dominated crew to give her some ship space to set up her domain. She’s fully serious now, if only to make a symbolic declaration that Turan continues to exist. Her seriousness includes dressing in a manner that would be considered too embarrassing for more regular folk, so it probably doesn’t dawn on her that most girls wouldn’t be caught dead on a maid uniform, at least in our (the viewer’s) day and age. Probably acceptable behavior in their era.
Truth be told, Gonzo is rarely known for telling a plausible or coherent story, so I don't see a pressing need to rationalise Millia's odd decision to dress as a maid. As is usually the case in anime, the rule of cool (or, in this case, the rule of moe) overrides all logic.

Quote:
Just like the original crew, there’s a reason (albeit hidden) that the ship is just flying around seemingly doing nothing. And just like the original series, we don’t know it yet. This is a brave new world for the ship’s crew so it’d be strange and pointless for the crew to just be flying around on what amounts to be one of the most high tech and powerful ships in the known planet. Alex Rowe and much of the original crew had a purpose as they flew around in search of Exile.
Similarly, the original series had its fair share of plotholes and unexplained circumstances. The Sylvana may have been searching for Prester's Exile, but it was never explained how Alex came to be in possession of such a powerful warship. Fans can only guess that his high-level connections (he was a cadet of some prestigious military academy, after all) made it possible, while his personal vendetta against the Guild provided the motivation to steal or claim the vessel.

Though I loved Last Exile, time and nostalgia have not blinded me to its many flaws. Fam may or may not suffer the same fate, but it's still enjoyable at the moment.

Quote:
There is the question of whether the newly returned exiles have their own land or nation to call their own, and I believe that they probably do, and the crew of the Sylvius have realized that this is a war torn planet like their old one, and one that necessitates that they defend themselves once again.
Personally, I'm reminded heavily of the second season of the original Battlestar Galactica, in which the colonial fleet finally reached Earth after a long exodus and decided to covertly explore and protect the planet. Whether or not the Prester immigrants face a potential conflict with Ades remains to be seen.
Old 2011-11-14, 08:41   Link #899
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
I've only recently finished marathon-ing the first series of Last Exile to get some background on this new series, and I can see why many people considered the original to be a classic. The OP of the original series feels unique, matching the somewhat dark tone of the conflicts of Anatoray, Disith, the Guild and the Sylvana crew... whilst this new OP seems to show the somewhat lighter tone of the show, one of hope.
(Admittedly, I don't think I know everything needed to fully understand and enjoy this show...)
Spoiler for Episode 5:

I would prefer if the Ades were not being manipulated by the Guild though....gives a more poignant Earth vs "them" feel to the story
Old 2011-11-14, 09:01   Link #900
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
Spoiler:

Tags
adventure, science fiction