Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-15, 15:42   Link #1061
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Last Waltz

What a beautiful ending to conclude such an immersive, enthralling, and insight sci-fi drama.

The use of long pauses and silence, coupled with cinematographic shots made me to feel very personally Sara's loss and painful tears at the conclusion of the climax.

I do also like to commend the use of the soundtrack for the set up, the last battle, and the epilogue. The animators treated us first with the string-guitar rendition to Last Waltz, and then with the jukebox rendition of the same song, it was very enchanting.
However, I also disagree with the choice of music they inserted when the reparations on the RAMDASS were made. I felt that particular music track did not fit with the scene or went off timing. It is the kind of music that plays when a leader of hero(ine) makes long speech of encouragement for the crew or once victory is achieved.

Anyways, this episode was a solid finish to tie all loose knots around the story of Sara, Emily, and Ralph. Everything else about the everlasting war among Union and Deague is out of consequence, and I do not mind of all.
The theme of the plot was for Sara to recover back her desire for friendship, to care for another person, to struggle against any let downs to reunite with Ralph again and bring him back home.
Spoiler:

Spoiler for For the ending sequence:

I can say with proud that Strain was everything that I liked drama, personal introspectives, action, sci-fi mecha content, and a believable quasi-tragic heroine and tragic, redeemed antagonist.
Old 2007-02-15, 15:51   Link #1062
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
My biggest objection by the end is how Ralph's philsophy made about as much sense as what they did with Zechs when he joins White Fang and declares war on the Earth. In fact there's a lot of similiarities between the way they dealt with Ralph in this show and how Zechs evolved in Gundam Wing in that the characters were never really given any reason for their changes of heart. Other than that, most of the plotlines that needed to be tied up were. I'd actually have to say that Ralph is the weakest and mostly poorly written character in recent memory for me, topped only by the main cast of Gundam Seed Destiny when combined together as a whole. When there are side characters who are better written than the main antagonist (Lottie, Emily, The Mechanics), you know you have a problem. Luckily it just managed to hold together by a thread in the end on the Strength of Sara and her friends.
Old 2007-02-15, 19:13   Link #1063
LionsMane
Courageous Guardian

Send a message via AIM to LionsMane
I really enjoyed the end and even though it was somewhat predictable I though it was all tied together very nicely. I absolutely loved the art and the music which complimented the show well. Voice acting was good too.

I think the series hit a few themes I generally enjoy but even so Souko no Strain really suprised me in the end.

I loved it---at least an 8.5 on the ten scale from me.
Old 2007-02-15, 19:29   Link #1064
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
My biggest objection by the end is how Ralph's philsophy made about as much sense as what they did with Zechs when he joins White Fang and declares war on the Earth. In fact there's a lot of similiarities between the way they dealt with Ralph in this show and how Zechs evolved in Gundam Wing in that the characters were never really given any reason for their changes of heart. Other than that, most of the plotlines that needed to be tied up were. I'd actually have to say that Ralph is the weakest and mostly poorly written character in recent memory for me, topped only by the main cast of Gundam Seed Destiny when combined together as a whole. When there are side characters who are better written than the main antagonist (Lottie, Emily, The Mechanics), you know you have a problem. Luckily it just managed to hold together by a thread in the end on the Strength of Sara and her friends.
Actually Zechs had a reason and it was given. His so call change of heart happen when he used the zero system to figure out a way to end the wars. His goal in joing White Fang was to make war so terrible that no one would want to go to war again.

As for Ralph, he became derange when the other Emily fused with him giving him first hand experience of what happened to the Emilys.
Old 2007-02-15, 20:21   Link #1065
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
In my opinion, Ralph's descent to madness was both misguided and miscarried. He went on taking hasty assumptions and brash decisions, but obviosly if anyone experienced what Ralph went through from the Emily that in itself would be enough to lose your mind or breaking down.

His motivations were not let's say properly handled, "I ended hating my own species, because I saw and felt for myself what they did to a group of harmless, alien girls in order to turn them all into raw materials to develop better technology to kill themselves."

I know it is cheesy, but I personally think Ralph's drive to change to the dark side was reasonable and believable, way better in comparison to how Kokushou's descent was handled in the Jinki:Extend anime, -"I hate the world, and I want to destroy it because my best friend and mentor stole the woman, who I have a crushed on, away from me."

Seriously, that latter's excuse was the corniest, campiest, and most worn out to factor the course of Kokushous' actions.
Old 2007-02-15, 20:34   Link #1066
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Personally, I actually found Ralph's "bad guy-ization" to be believeable considering the circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
I know it is cheesy, but I personally think Ralph's drive to change to the dark side was reasonable and believable, way better in comparison to how Kokushou's descent was handled in the Jinki:Extend anime, -"I hate the world, and I want to destroy it because my best friend and mentor stole the woman, who I have a crushed on, away from me."

Seriously, that latter's excuse was the corniest, campiest, and most worn out to factor the course of Kokushous' actions.
AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH, you just reminded me of one of, if not the, biggest reasons the J:E anime failed to animate the manga properly. >.>

EDIT: Guido, you must be a god of fortune or something. Right after you remind me of one of the most horrible points of the J:E anime, I go to take a look at Tsunashima's diary page....and he has reported that he has received more than 10 mails offering to pick up the J:E manga! Yes, this rant edit is off-topic, but I just couldn't help but mention that because of the fitting-ness of it.

(geez, I'm so wound up now )

Last edited by Shinji103; 2007-02-15 at 20:57.
Old 2007-02-15, 23:45   Link #1067
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH, you just reminded me of one of, if not the, biggest reasons the J:E anime failed to animate the manga properly. >.>

(geez, I'm so wound up now )
There There....There There.
Old 2007-02-16, 04:30   Link #1068
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
In my opinion, Ralph's descent to madness was both misguided and miscarried. He went on taking hasty assumptions and brash decisions, but obviosly if anyone experienced what Ralph went through from the Emily that in itself would be enough to lose your mind or breaking down.
exactally basically the girl that he saved has mind hax into ralph's head and shattered his soul into tiny tiny pieces ~ brainwashing?

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-02-16, 06:07   Link #1069
Guppy

Well, what a ride.

Spoiler for ep. 13:
Old 2007-02-16, 12:18   Link #1070
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
exactally basically the girl that he saved has mind hax into ralph's head and shattered his soul into tiny tiny pieces ~ brainwashing?
Damn loli's! Taking down perfectly good men with their brainwashing and manipulative ways.
Old 2007-02-16, 12:22   Link #1071
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I hope I understand Japanese. Being in my state, so far, however, I simply have to wait. :'(
Old 2007-02-16, 19:10   Link #1072
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Loli brainwashing has been around forever we just keep falling for the cuteness and getting our minds wiped. Not this time no i will swear i will remember what that little girl did to Ralph.

Its been a long time since i agreed with a character who has turned to the darkside. Im not saying what Ralph has done is completely right. But all the people he has killed have been military personal if iv not mistaken. I sympathize with him, i dont know what actions i would have taken if i found out the truth as he did. Being a human the race that tortured and used these being as experiments he feels responsible cant hate the guy for that. When i saw him cough up blood in episode 11 I instantly thought that the cause of his illness was the result of the last alien opening her gate. Im sure the human body was not made for that type of travel it must have inflicted bodily harm on him which would go right along with the mental
Old 2007-02-16, 21:45   Link #1073
Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
But all the people he has killed have been military personal if iv not mistaken.
It's true that signing up to be a soldier means that you've accepted the risk of death. But that doesn't automatically make it okay for someone to kill you.

If Ralph was, say, gunning for the researchers who'd dissected doll-Emily or the top brass who gave the order, so that the aliens could live in peace, then that would be one thing. If the Union military opposed him and he had to kill some of them, he could at least attempt to justify that in the name of his cause. But it's clear by the end that what he would like is to inflict collective punishment on the entire human species for the suffering of the Emilies, which occurred generations ago. To answer one atrocity with another is morally indefensible, even more so when you're taking revenge not on those who committed the original wrong, but on their children and grandchildren.

I do feel sympathy for Ralph, but not for his viewpoint. Sara had the right idea. Sometimes there's nothing else you can do.
Old 2007-02-17, 16:40   Link #1074
neverlife

It is war what du you expext ? rules? If I am not mistaken if so much as one soldieer is in a city you can go ahead an nuke the city. And what about the lowering of the enemy moral by a little terror bombing hmm I think all out war means no rules!!
Old 2007-02-17, 18:04   Link #1075
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverlife View Post
It is war what du you expext ? rules? If I am not mistaken if so much as one soldieer is in a city you can go ahead an nuke the city.
Errrr.......I am quite certain that human beings are not so stupid as to see any gain in nuking a city with one enemy soldier in it....and that's not even considering the insane public backlash of doing using a nuke to take out a city with one soldier in it....the guys who use the nuke would either be incredibly stupid or just plain evil, literally.

And yes there are, to a certain extent, rules of war.
Old 2007-02-19, 01:30   Link #1076
Flame-X
Anti-fan

umm hello? what about that lost pendant?
Old 2007-02-19, 05:22   Link #1077
ccardoso
Banned

I don't understand why the main focus of the interesting in Emilies is their capability to communicate immediately no matter where they are and not the warp gate itself.
I mean that thing is able to connect two points in the universe no matter how far they are: it's teletrasportation, which is more important than instant communication by far...
Old 2007-02-19, 13:37   Link #1078
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamp-X View Post
umm hello? what about that lost pendant?
Gone.
Spoiler for ep 13:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-02-19 at 18:32.
Old 2007-02-19, 15:48   Link #1079
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccardoso View Post
I don't understand why the main focus of the interesting in Emilies is their capability to communicate immediately no matter where they are and not the warp gate itself.
I mean that thing is able to connect two points in the universe no matter how far they are: it's teletrasportation, which is more important than instant communication by far...
I dont think anyone besides the ppl Sarah told about it knows about the warp gate. I suppose the research ppl in that asteroid all died when that warp gate opened for the alien ship.
Old 2007-02-20, 03:47   Link #1080
neverlife

So the show ended. I still think the Union Bastards got of too ligthly. You dont just start expermenting on people by youself, there have to be a framework and a willingnes to do it. What I mean is that it could not have been taken place whitout somebody higher up approval. You dont do it unless you are Nazi bastards and/or about to loose a war.
It is interesting to note that they have not won the war, even thought they received at huge tech boost ( the strains) it suggests that the Deauge was winning anyway. the nearest thing that comes to mind is the Nazi-germany in WW2 they developed Jets, missiles, helicopters, and tanks that was years ahead of anyone else, but they stille did not have the ressourses to win.
Closed Thread