AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-04, 17:32   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Nanoha - Theories & Speculation

The purpose of this thread is to allow free discussion of theories and speculation of the Nanoha series, but be warned since it may contain unmarked spoilers. Having a central location may help focus the discussion instead of spreading speculation over the various episode discussion threads.

Acceptable post topics
  • Personal theories, speculation, guesses and such. No spoiler tags required.
  • Posting magazine previews (such as from Animage). Spoiler tags required.

Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2010-08-04, 17:41   Link #2
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Well then, let's start with the big one shall we? Can or can a mage not wield two intelligent devices at once?

I say yes. We already know it's possible to wield several devices of different types (Hayate holding the record at 3, one storage, one armed and one unison) so the only difference would be that both devices have intelligence, which might create conflicts (and even that is a big if) but that is something that is should be adjustable.
Old 2010-08-04, 18:17   Link #3
Heinekochan
Nyaa! ^w^

Yuuno had compatibility issues with Raising Heart. Perhaps Intelligent Devices require certain traits in their masters for them to be compatible? If so, it might be that such devices would not only require compatibility with their master, but with each other as well.

I think using 2 IDs at once is improbable, but not impossible.
Old 2010-08-04, 19:10   Link #4
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
I almost think such a question might be better fit in the magic and technology thread.

But we already have such examples: Subaru and Ginga. They each have two devices: a "Caliber" and a Revolver Knuckle. And now Subaru is getting another device for her other hand. So I think it's possible, just that such devices would need to be tuned to their master and most likely with each other.
Old 2010-08-04, 19:38   Link #5
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
I almost think such a question might be better fit in the magic and technology thread.

But we already have such examples: Subaru and Ginga. They each have two devices: a "Caliber" and a Revolver Knuckle. And now Subaru is getting another device for her other hand. So I think it's possible, just that such devices would need to be tuned to their master and most likely with each other.
Except that Mach and Blitz Calibur are I.D.s while the Revolver Knuckles are Armed Devices.

Anyway, what about Isis? She's considered the most dangerous in Touma's group, has golden eyes and seems to be on the run from the TSAB.

Wonder why.

One theory I've heard is that she's some sort of renegade cyborg, but I'm not sure.

Maybe she's a descendant from someone of Al Hazard, after all, Jail had golden eyes as well.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Old 2010-08-04, 19:47   Link #6
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

Quote:
And now Subaru is getting another device for her other hand.
That's not a device, it's AEC equip.
Old 2010-08-04, 21:07   Link #7
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Maybe she's a descendant from someone of Al Hazard, after all, Jail had golden eyes as well.
Since when has golden eyes been a sign of having an ancestor from Al Hazard? And I always saw Jail's eyes as more yellow than gold, myself.

EDIT: If it was mentioned anywhere in the Sound Stages, I apologize in advance for asking a stupid question.
Old 2010-08-04, 22:12   Link #8
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I figure if someone manages to wield two separate Intelligent Devices at once, the processing power of both of them would allow them to cast spells at an insanely fast rate, or lay down a myriad of spells at once.

And as such I figure that'd put a big strain on the mage, with both mana and mental capabilities.
Old 2010-08-04, 22:57   Link #9
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
That's not a device, it's AEC equip.
I fail to see much difference. So it can't speak; so what? A device is a device is a device. There are differences between them, but if it's been shown that a mage can handle multiple devices, I wouldn't think there is much difference as to whether it can speak. Devices either can respond to telepathy or accept commands via magic and mana flow, so with a bit of training it should be trivial to wield more than one.
Old 2010-08-04, 23:08   Link #10
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
I think we are trying to make a robocop character here. Put a device on each limb, take out the bad guys :P

heck it could be a corpse

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2010-08-04, 23:13   Link #11
Kaijo
Banned

"Officer Nanoha Takamachi, shot to death in the line of duty."

"Legally, she's dead. We can do whatever we want with her."

"There's a new gal in town; her name is Robomage."

"Nanoha? It is you!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U00p0LNZOpw
Old 2010-08-05, 02:26   Link #12
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

A random tough surrounds my mind, Lindy and Letti's forehead marks are a simbol of their race? Griffit, being Letti's son, have them too but Chrno doesn't. So maybe they are amrks of a religion or a social move that the three, Lindy Letti and Grifitt are followers and Chrono don't? I wonder if supplementary material says something about that xD
Old 2010-08-05, 02:41   Link #13
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Anyway, what about Isis? She's considered the most dangerous in Touma's group, has golden eyes and seems to be on the run from the TSAB.

Where was it said that she was on the run from the TSAB(before the whole Eclipse incident, of course)? But yeah, Isis being connected to Al Hazard seems interesting

Quote:
I fail to see much difference. So it can't speak; so what? A device is a device is a device. There are differences between them, but if it's been shown that a mage can handle multiple devices, I wouldn't think there is much difference as to whether it can speak. Devices either can respond to telepathy or accept commands via magic and mana flow, so with a bit of training it should be trivial to wield more than one.
Practicality issues perhaps? These are some of my thoughts:
  1. Concentrating magic powers into two devices simultaneously is probably too distracting. And if I remember correctly, casting spells in Nanohaverse is akin to calculating mathematical formulas.
  2. Most of the devices can be modded with extra features such as different forms, attack drones, cartridges and stuff, reducing the needs to bring more than one device.
  3. Modifying a single device is perhaps cheaper than buying a new one for each feature a user may need.

That reminds me, was there any person besides Subaru that uses more than one device?

Edit: Huh, now this does seems like a topic for the Magic and Technology thread...

Last edited by Tiresias; 2010-08-05 at 02:55.
Old 2010-08-05, 02:58   Link #14
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

|д゚)…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
That reminds me, was there any person besides Subaru that uses more than one device?
?

And I guess Ginga and Nanoha.

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2010-08-05, 03:19   Link #15
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananoha View Post
|д゚)…?
Painful engrish. And I wish they could have thought of something cooler or more intimidating than Lost Property Riot Force 6

I didn't even know the staff and book are considered to be separate .

I guess I'll modify a bit:
  1. Concentrating magic powers into two devices simultaneously, especially for non-unison or non-intelligent devices, is probably too distracting. And if I remember correctly, casting spells in Nanohaverse is akin to calculating mathematical formulas.
  2. Most of the devices can be modded with extra features such as different forms, attack drones, cartridges and stuff, reducing the needs to bring more than one device.
  3. Modifying a single device is perhaps cheaper than buying a new one for each feature a user may need.

Quote:
And I guess Ginga and Nanoha.
Nanoha? Oh, you mean in Force? For a moment I thought she has another one than Raising Heart for all these years...
Old 2010-08-05, 11:14   Link #16
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Well, Signum and Vita have used Rein and their own devices and now Signum has Agito as well...

So, anyway, if Fortis is just the field commander, who the heck is the main leader of the Huckubein?

Old 2010-08-05, 11:19   Link #17
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Painful engrish. And I wish they could have thought of something cooler or more intimidating than Lost Property Riot Force 6

I didn't even know the staff and book are considered to be separate .
Reinforce is also a device, which Hayate uses, too. Both the original and Rein Zwei.

Quote:
I guess I'll modify a bit:
  1. Concentrating magic powers into two devices simultaneously, especially for non-unison or non-intelligent devices, is probably too distracting. And if I remember correctly, casting spells in Nanohaverse is akin to calculating mathematical formulas.
Reasons 2 and 3 I'll buy as to why most mages only use one; basically, one device can do everything you need it to most of the time. reason 1 I won't, because the whole point of an ID is to make casting easier. ID's compensate for the mage, even firing off spells of their own if needed. Two ID's would naturally work together, if programmed to do so. It's like have two buddies fighting with you, helping you.

But issues of practicality aside, the original question was *can* they use more than one intelligent device? The answer: Yes, they can.
Old 2010-08-05, 11:23   Link #18
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Until evidence to the contrary appears, sure.

Old 2010-08-05, 11:27   Link #19
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Until evidence to the contrary appears, sure.
And even that might not be proof so much; one mage may not be able to handle it... but maybe most mages can.

In short, to prove that they *can't* you need to prove every single mage can't. As long as one mage can, then it's possible. Considering a mage can use multiple "dumb" devices, it's logical to assume actual Intelligent Devices can compensate *better* and thus be easier to use more of.

Hell, once Rein unisons with Signum and Vita, you have them using two "intelligent" devices, in the loose sense of the word.
Old 2010-08-05, 12:28   Link #20
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Reinforce is also a device, which Hayate uses, too. Both the original and Rein Zwei.
Kinda makes me wonder on what Zwei's real purpose is. The book is basically the power plant, and the staff is the cannon, so Rein is...a glorified fire control? Well, at least she's cute

Quote:
Reasons 2 and 3 I'll buy as to why most mages only use one; basically, one device can do everything you need it to most of the time. reason 1 I won't, because the whole point of an ID is to make casting easier. ID's compensate for the mage, even firing off spells of their own if needed. Two ID's would naturally work together, if programmed to do so. It's like have two buddies fighting with you, helping you.

But issues of practicality aside, the original question was *can* they use more than one intelligent device? The answer: Yes, they can.
Fair enough. I wrote reason 1 just in case the speculation drifts from "two intelligent devices" to "two devices" anyway . And yes, for now it looks like the answer is YES. Makes me wonder on how much a single ID cost, though , especially since most TSAB grunts seems to be limited to non-intelligent magic spears

Quote:
So, anyway, if Fortis is just the field commander, who the heck is the main leader of the Huckubein?
The Silver Cross itself perhaps? Whispering its dark biddings to their subconsciousness?