AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-12, 12:10   Link #161
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

From what I saw, this episode seems to compress the first 2-3 chapters (can't remember chapter 3). The opening is also weird.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 12:43   Link #162
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Not bad. Not bad at all.

While it doesn't have the usual first episode flair, intrigue, or hook, it certainly has its charms. For what looks like a slow-paced, slice of life show, it did its job correctly at least.

And Kaoru, hands off Ri'ko, please? She's spoken for already.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 12:54   Link #163
sikvod00

Loved the first episode. This is looking to be a great series!
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 13:08   Link #164
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
That was fun, I was watching but it hadn't "grabbed me" then the drum solo came and I was like "you now have my full attention" between the solo itself and the animation that was quite something.
Old 2012-04-12, 13:14   Link #165
Bern-san

Good episode, so far liked the characters (except Karou's relatives)
I liked the opening more than the ending

Can't get the piano part of Moanin' out of my head (one episode and I'm already desperate for the OST)

Definitely looks like the type of shows which needs more than 12 episodes but oh well
Old 2012-04-12, 13:15   Link #166
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
That was a pretty good first episode. Felt a bit weird watching it having read the first two chapters of the manga beforehand. Still, this show's definately a keeper for me this season~
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 13:44   Link #167
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Best premiere of the season for me, 10/10. Watanabe puts most other directors to shame and exemplifies just how much more talented than he is than the common dribble.

All the little touches were great, the animation was superb (Look at the drum solo holy shit), I love the char designs. The BGM was awesome.

This is how you make anime.

Now if only he'd direct more...
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 13:46   Link #168
Katapan
俺様祭り

I guess I'll put my worries over the pacing to rest for now. Okay, I did think that something slightly slower would've been even more perfect, but I'm definitely keeping in mind that this is a pilot that probably aimed to get at this particular point in the story, without actually skipping the OP/ED, and also with less time compared to your average anime episode due to noitaminA! -- and yet I feel that Watanabe made the episode flow well with the right scenes in spite of all the constraints. Was there ever any doubt, though?

The obvious issue put aside, I have to say the episode looked good: some of it we'd seen in the PV, but the complete drum sequence is really something. I'm quite fond of that Nakazawa OP myself, which is greatly helped by the YUKI song I'd been dreaming of for weeks. The dialect also shines through and Hosoya pulls it off magnificently (not completely sold on Nanri's Ritsuko yet, I'd say she oscillates between refreshingly great and less engaging moments). Yep, this season's Thursdays will be a treat.

+ the addition of the Ningen Dryer.
Old 2012-04-12, 13:47   Link #169
kuromitsu

Well, this was... fast. Then again, with 12 episodes they have to get over the setup as fast as possible. At least it didn't feel rushed. I'm torn between hoping that they'd slow down in the following eps, and wishing that they keep the pace so they actually get somewhere in the story... I'll have to continue trusting Watanabe, I guess. (damn you, Noitamina!!)

Sentarou and Kaoru sound a little different from how I imagined they would, but both seiyuu are pretty good so far. Sentarou came off as more abrasive than in the manga but I suppose that's because of the shortness...

And I'm glad that the BGM knew its place and did its job instead of trying to be in the focus. What with a big-name composer on the staff and the "omg jazz!!" hype, I'd been kind of worried that they'd put extra emphasis on the music at the expense of story/character moments, but thankfully that's not the case. As far as I can tell the drum solo was pretty good (I'm not good with drums, though so I wouldn't know how good it actually was...), and I can't wait to hear the full version of the OP. I'm not impressed with the ED, though... both music and animation are mediocre. Ah well.

Oh yeah, and extra bonus points for the animation during the performance sequences. Most anime wouldn't go this far (Nodame Cantabile, I'm looking at you).
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 14:09   Link #170
ookamigirl

Damn... didn't expect it to be this interesting.
Sentaro & Kaoru, what an unusual friendship ^^
Those two really get into some weird situations LOL
Jazz... seems like an very unusual band idea.
This seems like an interesting anime, will be watching it.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 14:16   Link #171
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Okay ... that was very well done.

And finally I come across an OP that I really like!

Adding this one to my actively following series ... excellente.

Yeah - jazz isn't really my thing and all that (though neither are astronauts - i.e. Uchuu Kyodai) ... but the coming of age and slice of life elements are very well done indeed.
Old 2012-04-12, 14:27   Link #172
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Excellent, excellent, excellent. I don't think an anime episode can be much better than that, for my taste.

To be honest the hype of jazz and a supposed old master director didn't really capture me (I'm not a jazz fan, and I haven't been able to get into Cowboy Bebop). But the actual episode certainly grabbed me and held on. Story pacing, characters, mood, emotion -- all good. But it's this strange hollowness in my chest that tells me I love this show. Not many shows give me that emotional wave, but this one did. For some reason, I am reminded of Honey & Clover, different as that was.

Kimura Ryouhei, Hosoya Yoshimasa, and Nanri Yuka are all persuasive. And the OP is outstanding, both music and image.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 14:27   Link #173
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
OK... can anyone explain to me why I liked this? It's terribly boring on paper, and nothing much even happened. So why?
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 14:42   Link #174
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
OK... can anyone explain to me why I liked this? It's terribly boring on paper, and nothing much even happened. So why?
Because it was really well done, and in so many ways, perhaps?

Forgot to mention that I liked the ED too, and must admit that I lol'd at the way Kaoru was walking when was thinking aloud about hearing Sentaro's drums, so much that Riko said ... "Ummm ... is something wrong?" :lol:
Old 2012-04-12, 14:49   Link #175
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Excuse me while I just try and scrape my jaw up off the floor.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 15:29   Link #176
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Excuse me while I just try and scrape my jaw up off the floor.
While you're down there, would you mind picking mine up for me as well?

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 15:33   Link #177
webkid94
*Author

Okay start, interesting to hear Yoshimasa Hosoya voice another Kansai-dialect character (like Arata from Chihayafuru), the drumming was awesome. Felt a little too slow and long-winded, but luckily I didn't have huge expectations (I'm probably the only person around that hasn't seen Cowboy Bebop or any other Watanabe series). As of now, Tsuritama edges Sakamichi overall but the potential for awesome jazz music is definitely there.

3.5/5

Now waiting for Eureka seven AO, that show determines whether spring is a success or a failure in my eyes.
webkid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 15:55   Link #178
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Kyuushu dialect, actually (don't make that mistake in either region!). I actually thought this was a real against-type performance from him, and I thought Kimura Ryohei was absolutely brilliant.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 16:17   Link #179
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I gotta say, this episode rendered me unable to view anything for a little while. I fear anything else I watch as a follow up to this would just seem so mediocre. Good going Watanabe sensei.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 16:26   Link #180
Dr. Casey

Downloading the episode now. I like watching series that take place in the past, it's fun to think about how old my family was during the time the story takes place and imagine what they might have been up to at the time, how they might have responded to certain situations (Playing Higurashi made me imagine my 1983 pre-demented grandparents joining in the effort to protect Satoko for example), etc. So if this story takes place in 1966, that would make everyone...

Papa Lloyd: 48
Grandmother Slonecker: 42
Papa Bill: 32
Grandmother Rabon: 42-43
My mom and dad: 14 and 17
Uncle Ronald: 20
Uncle Mike: 18
Aunt Ina: 6
Aunt Mary: 24
Uncle Sonny: 23
Aunt Linda: 22

Neat.