AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-02-11, 23:22   Link #1
guess

managing files

Hello, I am looking for a software that can managing files. It's kind of like explorer but for the files I put in. I can search by files name, by setting up a subject sub-category, by keyword, by date, by file size, or by file type etc. If you guys know any of free software for this, that would be great. But if you recomend something that is not free, it's OK. Thank you.

I need to edit this. I would like to have a software which allows me to type the keyword (by date, by file size, or by file type etc) and search for the file. So I can create a new folder, put in my files, set up an search engine by using this software and search for files. Of course, this search fearture will allow me to search from all designated folders, files, or even the entire computer.

Last edited by guest; 2006-02-12 at 13:22.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 14:42   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Have you looked into Google Desktop? I don't use it myself, but I was under the impression that its functionality is supposed to let you do something of that sort. Although there are some issues about privacy, since it stores the database of your files and directory structure on a remote server... or that may have been something else about a similar product from Google.
Old 2006-02-12, 15:47   Link #3
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
Have you looked into Google Desktop? I don't use it myself, but I was under the impression that its functionality is supposed to let you do something of that sort. Although there are some issues about privacy, since it stores the database of your files and directory structure on a remote server... or that may have been something else about a similar product from Google.
MSN, Yahoo and lots of other companies do it too... Some guy written a review on them

http://www.pandia.com/resources/desktop.html

To be honest even though I don't mind Gmail, having one of these big internet search engine products trawling away on my PC gives me the heebies...

If you are hard core I guess you could attempt something like Cygwin and compile htdig... Dunno if it would work, but if you try let me know how it turns out!

PS XP has an indexing function built into it which you can turn off to save a little space by right clicking on a drive and going to properties its called fast indexing (it's on by default). But check the interweb for how it functions and what turning it off means...
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 23:12   Link #4
guess

Does this x-friend have English version?

I am trying out two things for now: x-friend and Copernic.

I also don't feel comfortable to use some remote search engine to do this for me. Let's see. suggestions are always welcome.