Notices

Old 2009-05-05, 18:43   Link #81
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Well, I really don't know why people began to scream "OH, NOOO. YURI" the moment they saw Yomi was back. She wasn't brought back for that reason.
Two, maybe three? words: Ga- Rei Zero

but yeah, I do hope this manga ends with its current arc (hopefully we get a KaguraxKensuke ending...). Really, it should've ended with 32...

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 18:51   Link #82
RahX

After reading chap. 42 I do hope that this time it doesn't end in tragedy; even though, I didn't like the whole Yomi comes back alive once again since the whole first arc of the manga was about Kagura learning to let of of her past and whatnot...
I do hope that Yomi learns to accept that Kensuke it's now a vital point in Kagura's daily life and knowing Kensuke he will probably go to Kagura's aid without thinking twice about it...

Quote:
43, and now the story is getting good. Kagura makes an important decision, and we're finally getting some hits about what's Yomi doing here (alive, I mean).
by the way, I haven't had the chance to read the chapter 43, probably I will do it during the weekend but what is this important decision that Kagura made?...I'm curious to know about it..if you don't mind could you tell us, please??
RahX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 23:57   Link #83
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahX View Post
I do hope that Yomi learns to accept that Kensuke it's now a vital point in Kagura's daily life.
Why would she have any problem with that? In fact, aren't you talking about Izumi here? Yomi and Izumi are not the same entity, and it's only in chapter 43 when Yomi finally takes over long enough to have a actual chat with Kagura.
Quote:
by the way, I haven't had the chance to read the chapter 43, probably I will do it during the weekend but what is this important decision that Kagura made?...I'm curious to know about it..if you don't mind could you tell us, please??
That was in chapter 42, so you already know that...
Spoiler:
Old 2009-05-06, 00:50   Link #84
Johnny
Working the bags...

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-06, 01:16   Link #85
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Spoiler for Kensuke/Kagura lost forever?:

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-06, 02:11   Link #86
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Spoiler:
I don't think so.
Spoiler:
Old 2009-05-06, 03:14   Link #87
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

Quote:
I don't think so.
Spoiler:
Kagura is my favorite character in this manga by a longshot. But, lets be honest. Who would, if in Kensuke's position, actually choose to stick with Kagura. Kagura is a girl who has chosen to protect with all of her might a girl who has died multiple times, at the expense of Kensuke's feelings of course. It may be just me but I find this behavior to be more than a bit "crazy". It isn't like Kensuke has any real obligation to stay with Kagura either. Any obligation that he previously had to stay with her, which were few and hardly enforced, were cast to the side when she reorganized her obligations. Not only does sticking with Kagura have obvious dangers at this point, but when they were closer on previous occasions Kagura almost never displayed any progressive action towards their relationship. When the largest step was made she immediately lost her memories. Honestly, I would have left a girl like Kagura long ago, and I think most every other person here would have left her as well. You know, you can man up by learning to love and let go as well. Well, that's my opinion on that.

On another note, am I the only one who feels that the yuri overtones are getting stronger as the chapters progress? I've known since chapter one that there will be no actual yuri, but I can't help but feel that the author is trying to pile up the yuri overtones as high as he can while still keeping the relationship decidedly platonic.
danin8r44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-06, 03:48   Link #88
RahX

^So, you are saying that let's throw out of the window all of the Kagura and Kensuke relationship that has been developing since the start of the manga just because Kensuke had a moment of hesitation?...
Kensuke was a really apathetic guy at the start of the manga and it was after meeting her that Kensuke started to take life more seriously, on the other side...Kagura sealed off all of her emotions and decided to act as a happy go lucky girl after what happened with Yomi in the past. It was thanks to Kensuke that she once again was able to open up to others and thus be able to face her past...
Kensuke and Kagura are the protagonists of the manga, not Yomi and Kagura.
RahX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-06, 14:11   Link #89
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Kensuke and Kagura are the protagonists of the manga, not Yomi and Kagura.
Well, from a storytelling perspective, the "protagonist" is defined by the "object of desire", which is the "goal" the protagonist pursues. In a straightforward action piece this dynamic is pretty simple, as the protagonist is the "hero" and the object of desire is usually "defeating the bad guys".

Some times though, things can be a bit more complex than that, for example now in the current arc of Ga-rei. Now the object of desire is "to save Yomi", and the one pursuing that goal is Kagura. So currently, she's the protagonist. What role Kensuke plays in all this? Well, if he oppose Kagura, he'll become the "anti-hero"; if he sides with Kagura, then he'll go back to be the sort of protagonist-side kick he has always been. It all depends on what the mangaka has in store for him.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2009-05-06 at 14:22.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-06, 15:11   Link #90
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

Quote:
^So, you are saying that let's throw out of the window all of the Kagura and Kensuke relationship that has been developing since the start of the manga just because Kensuke had a moment of hesitation?...
That isn't what I was trying to say. Sorry if what I wrote had some problems in it making it seem like that is what I was trying to say, it probably did. What I was trying to say is that in a normal situation, as in real life not a manga, Kensuke would have left Kagura by now. The threads that are binding them together are incredibly weak right now, and the only thing that is keeping them together at all is Kensuke's deep devotion to Kagura. I was trying to say that his devotion is unrealistic in this instance, and that he has no alternative reasons to continue pursuing Kagura. Of course, he is going to, of course they will end up together, but it all feels very fabricated to me.
Quote:
Well, from a storytelling perspective, the "protagonist" is defined by the "object of desire", which is the "goal" the protagonist pursues. In a straightforward action piece this dynamic is pretty simple, as the protagonist is the "hero" and the object of desire is usually "defeating the bad guys".

Some times though, things can be a bit more complex than that, for example now in the current arc of Ga-rei. Now the object of desire is "to save Yomi", and the one pursuing that goal is Kagura. So currently, she's the protagonist. What role Kensuke plays in all this? Well, if he oppose Kagura, he'll become the "anti-hero"; if he sides with Kagura, then he'll go back to be the sort of protagonist-side kick he has always been. It all depends on what the mangaka has in store for him.
If your definition of protagonist is right, then both Kagura and Kensuke are equal protagonists as they both follow different, but thematically important goals in the story. Actually, by your definition each character in the story had a point of being the protagonist when even a subplot was being focused on that revolved around them. That aside, how is Kensuke a sidekick by any means if he was the main focus(protagonist) of the story for at least the first half and the last arc was about him saving Kagura? I know that his power is likely less than Kagura's, but labeling him a sidekick or a side character is ignoring his ongoing and extremely strong, especially in the first half, influence on and focus of the plot. Also, why would Kensuke be an antihero if he chose to oppose Kagura? An antihero is a protagonist who has a bad character, or a bad goal(bad in the sense of evil). What Kagura is doing is left morally ambiguous and so if Kensuke decided to oppose her, his actions would not be considered necessarily good or bad. Though I can see a possibility that if Kensuke opposed Kagura then he may end up going against the goal of the new sole protagonist, and become an antagonist. An antagonist with goals that are likely morally ambiguous such as, "I have to save Kagura from Yomi by killing Yomi." He can also simply become a protagonist with different goals than the other protagonist. Of course, if he sticks with Kagura, he will either gain equal plot focus as Kagura, become Kagura's "sidekick" for real, or simply fade into the woodwork as a poorly played out plot device. Just about the last thing I can see Kensuke becoming is an antihero.

I wish I was happier that I see the amount of focus around Kensuke dwindling, but it has just been carried out so poorly at times. I vastly prefer the characters of both Yomi and Kagura to Kensuke, but ever since the whole "amnesia" incident the plot feels too awkward for me to fully enjoy Kagura's and Yomi's personalities. Dam you poorly constructed continuation plot..... Dam you
Old 2009-05-06, 15:29   Link #91
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by danin8r44 View Post
If your definition of protagonist is right, then both Kagura and Kensuke are equal protagonists as they both follow different, but thematically important goals in the story.
In depends on a lot things, like focus and action, etc. Right now Kagura is on a journey, and has a goal, and is at center of the conflict (she's protecting the one thing that everybody wants). Kensuke, on the other hand, is still trying to decide what he should do, that's what I say we still don't know what role he's going to play in the current arc.

Quote:
Also, why would Kensuke be an antihero if he chose to oppose Kagura? An antihero is a protagonist who has a bad character, or a bad goal(bad in the sense of evil).
Yes my bad, I just meant antagonist.

Quote:
Of course, if he sticks with Kagura, he will either gain equal plot focus as Kagura, become Kagura's "sidekick" for real, or simply fade into the woodwork as a poorly played out plot device.
This is the most likely scenario for him right now, unless the mangaka has some plot twist in store for us. We'll see.

Quote:
I wish I was happier that I see the amount of focus around Kensuke dwindling, but it has just been carried out so poorly at times. I vastly prefer the characters of both Yomi and Kagura to Kensuke, but ever since the whole "amnesia" incident the plot feels too awkward for me to fully enjoy Kagura's and Yomi's personalities. Dam you poorly constructed continuation plot..... Dam you
But did you read the latest chapters? 42 and 43, specially the later.
Old 2009-05-06, 15:54   Link #92
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

Quote:
In depends on a lot things, like focus and action, etc. Right now Kagura is on a journey, and has a goal, and is at center of the conflict (she's protecting the one thing that everybody wants). Kensuke, on the other hand, is still trying to decide what he should do, that's what I say we still don't know what role he's going to play in the current arc.
I mostly agree, especially that Kagura is the main focus of the story right now. I think that Kensuke does have a goal though. I could be wrong but I always thought that Kensuke's goal was to protect Kagura, his conflict is in whether or not he can or should protect her right now. Him finding a resolution to this problem is another step in pursuit of his goal. Also, I don't think that Kagura's goal is the one that everyone wants, just her.
Quote:
But did you read the latest chapters? 42 and 43, specially the later.
Yes I have, but my japanese reading skills are rather poor (I've always hated trying to learn to read or write any language without an alphabet you should see me try to read anything harder than basic Mandarin). That is why I am trying to make everything I say seem rather speculative. It's also why I find it really helpful to read this thread and have people rebuke what I say because it helps to clear up some misunderstandings I might have.
Old 2009-05-06, 16:27   Link #93
Kazu-kun

Quote:
I don't think that Kagura's goal is the one that everyone wants, just her.
What I said is "she's protecting the one thing that everybody wants", which is true. The Counter Measure Department wants Yomi (mostly dead) because they think she's a threat (and maybe she is, but that's beside the point); and the bad guys wants her for their own particular bad-guy-generic purpose.

In other words, everyone (all the factions) wants Yomi, and are therefore antagonising Kagura, who is, like I said, at the center of the conflict.
Old 2009-05-06, 17:12   Link #94
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Spoiler:
he got kick already

Spoiler for 43:
Old 2009-05-06, 17:33   Link #95
Wargumm1i
Hentai

How many chapters are there currently in japan?
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-06, 17:39   Link #96
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargumm1i View Post
How many chapters are there currently in japan?
I already told you, 43 chapters.
Old 2009-05-06, 17:44   Link #97
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Quote:
I already told you, 43 chapters.
Oh lol didint see it, because i had not checked for awhile that time.
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-28, 23:45   Link #98
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Special pic released by Kadokawa ACE on its August issue.

Some familiar characters, not sure on the one with the rifle. Looks familiar.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2009-06-29, 00:12   Link #99
Johnny
Working the bags...

I think it's the blond from the first arc, Shizuru...
Spoiler for current raws:
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-29, 00:17   Link #100
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Oh okay. I haven't seen her yet so far. Aside from reading Volume 9.

Even the new girl from Volume 8's there too.

Shizuru reminded me of the radio show on 6/20/2009 where Segawa
Spoiler for Stuff on the show:

Besides, is she really
Spoiler for Shizuru's allegiance:

Tags
action, shounen