AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 33 25.98%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 48 37.80%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 30 23.62%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 7.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.57%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.79%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 3.15%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-12, 14:42   Link #321
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Well with episode 5 I remember being halfway through and thinking "Uh Oh! This is not good, I should NOT have watched the LOGH first".
Pardon my probable lack of ability, but... what is LOGH?
Old 2007-05-12, 15:06   Link #322
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Legend of Galactic Heroes.
Old 2007-05-12, 15:19   Link #323
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Gave up and watched the a.f.k. sub .... comments:
1) the pacing was a bit slower, even more Peanuts-like. Also each individual sketch was longer (taking into account the more frequent multi-strip arcs in the comic).
2) The summer break isn't over ... in fact, I think I enjoyed the preview as much as the rest of the show because everyone is dressed fashionably (when did I become interested in fashion... aieee, sheesh!)
3) The Kagami segments did have the best comic pacing (e.g. fan sequence and festival sequences)
4) Tsukasa is becoming her own humor channel all by herself, submarining under all the louder humor
5) I enjoyed the festival sequence more for the visual appeal of the colors (the girls were all dressed to the hilt --- there I go again, drooling at fashion).
6) Yui was a bit awkward..... but then she's pretty awkward (someone above said a Tsukasa/Kona merge.... worst attributes of each ) Her high point was meeting Nanako (I figured Nanoko would be more flattered she was mistaken for a highschooler ). Kagami was still the prize of the Yui-festival sequence though with her aggravated asides.
7) This episode came closer to "slice of life" rather than "comedy" than any other so far... I'm reminded of the recent I.M. OVA 2 sequence which spent a couple of minutes showing Nobue washing her motorbike.

Kona's MMO submersion was okay.... necessary but not ultra-funny. Actually at the end it was more poignant with the unfinished homework withering on the floor. Enjoyed the style difference of the character chat. I tagged it as a bit of a reminder that the series is NOT "all about the funny" ... there are a number of poignant "I've been there" pieces in the comic.

The next episode will be more summer break focused it appears and may even include the brief beach sequence from the comic (mostly Nanako and Yui chatting with runthroughs from the other girls).

Lucky*Channel is really finished though for me... really really finished. I guess I'm getting aggravated because I'm plotting the remaining episodes and the amount of comic material they could be using from the 4-koma versus the residual humor in the L*C gag. On the other hand, Minoru is just a naturally very funny guy --- they should give him more one-liners in the main content.

For that reason, I'm firing my first "8" at the series. I would have given a "9" for the festival sequence just for the colors and animation richness even if the main content was a slower pace. Heck, I loved the "cloppity" sounds of all of them walking (having walked along with a bunch of happy chattering cloppitying japanese girls in yukata-garb at various festivals).

However, for the other reasons, I might have even gone down to a "7" but the saving moments of the episode allowed me to be more gracious.
I tend to agree that Minoru is the funnier one and if they'd just give him something to do other than act as a foil for Akira that it could be funnier. However, they just keep doing the same thing. I really think Kyoto Animation needs a lot of work on their own story segments. They've relied to much on adapatation's and its come back to haunt them in my opinion because after 5 episodes you kind of get the impression that they have no idea what to do with the segment. If I were them I'd call in some advisers to brainstorm some segments, but they may already have done all 24 episodes before they realized that Lucky Channel would start to flop.

Also I don't know if anybody else noticed, but Lucky Channel also seemed to come earlier this episode (At about the 18 minute mark) than in previous ones and I couldn't help but think "What that's it for the Lucky Star stuff? It was actually starting to finally get going this episode and you end it?!"

Basically if the episode is roughly 24 minutes it looked like this:

24:00 -1:39 (opening) 3:03 (Lucky Channel 5) - 1:30 (Ending 5) - 0:30 (Preview approximate) = 6:42

24:00-6:42 = 17:18 (Your actual time spent on the characters for episode 5). An average series has about 21 minutes spent on content so that's almost four minutes shorter than your average anime episode, which is quite a waste of time. Imagine what they could do with 3 extra minutes in each episode that is wasted on the same old Akira antics.
Old 2007-05-12, 15:20   Link #324
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

LOGH = Legend of Galactic Heroes, IMO the best sci-fi anime ever. No 'super robots' that can shred a thousand battleships in a single shot *cough*Gundam*cough*; this anime has its battles fought and won in numbers, tactics, and logistics, just like any other real war. Add in political schemes and backstabbing, and you have an epic space opera in your hands.

I myself stopped at ~eps 75, but that's only because I wanted to marathon the final episodes all in one go. It's already been completely subbed in English via HK DVDs, but IMO Central Anime's subs are the only way to go. Since the plot is so complicated, speedsub quality subtitles from the Hong Kong DVDs leave you with understanding three quarters at best of what is going on in an episode. While one episode is nothing (you know 3/4 of an ep), but with the episodes so interwoven and complicated, by the 20th episode you hardly understand what is going on anymore (you know [3/4]^20 = ~0.3% of anything).

And lol@Vexx. I knew it would be only a matter of time before you succumb to the temptation. EnA's release time frame is about a week, and there's very few people I know who can wait that long to watch one of their favorite shows of the season. :P

As far as Lucky Channel is concered, I guess those who can't stand it anymore should just treat it like a normal ED and skip it if its detracting from one's enjoyment of a show. I mean, that's what people do with OPs and EDs that they feel is starting to be repetitive, right? XD

@Kaoishin
I really don't get your math. You say that Lucky Star is almost 4 minutes shorter than the average anime episode, however, 99% of all anime also has ~1:30 OP/ED and a 30 sec preview. The only difference is that Lucky Star has Lucky Channel, and so that means the time difference between the two should be how long Lucky Channel lasts, which by your stats is only 3 mins. So I really don't know where you get this 'shorter by almost 4 mins' notion; in other words, your claim that most other anime has 21 minutes of content is false.

But that's not counting that a lot of anime has a ~1 min. recap of the previous episode (which LS doesn't have), and I for one actually counts the LS ED as 'content', since its audio is unique enough to every episode and is entertaining enough to a lot of other people. So even if one counts out Lucky Channel as part of LS, LS is only short 1.5 minutes at worst and 30 seconds at best.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)

Last edited by DragoonKain3; 2007-05-12 at 15:48.
Old 2007-05-12, 15:54   Link #325
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I agree with LC getting a bit repetitive, but I still don't see it spoiling my fun over it.

Am I too naive?

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-05-12, 17:07   Link #326
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I like LC, in the guilty pleasure way. Like how my friends likes Terence & Philip.
Old 2007-05-12, 21:14   Link #327
GriS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I like LC, in the guilty pleasure way. Like how my friends likes Terence & Philip.
Same for me
Old 2007-05-12, 21:35   Link #328
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I agree with LC getting a bit repetitive, but I still don't see it spoiling my fun over it.

Am I too naive?
No. Anyone who is like "omg, they do the same exact sequence everytime with different dialogue" is missing the whole point. They thought it was just a one time bit or that it would be changed up every time. The whole point is that its the same exact sequence every time with different dialogue and its the dialogue that makes it funny.
Akira introduces herself
Akira mentions Shirashi in some method of less importance.
Shirashi introduces himself with some joke attached.
Question asked.
Shirashi answers.
Akira answers with her nice side.
Akira switches to her evil side and answers.
They run out of time.
They make comments about the production being screwed up.
Lather, rinse, repeat.
Old 2007-05-12, 22:40   Link #329
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Also I don't know if anybody else noticed, but Lucky Channel also seemed to come earlier this episode
I didn't actually take note of the time or anything, but I also swear Lucky Channel came sooner than usual. I was wondering if it was just me, but apparently not... I was surprised when it suddenly cut to Lucky Channel because I felt it was too early - there should've been at least one or two more short segments of regular Lucky*Star... Kind of disappointing, IMO. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
...it would be only a matter of time before you succumb to the temptation.
I'm finding it's hard to resist temptation with Lucky*Star... I was barely able to manage with Utawarerumono (love the characters, not the story). Ah, you want to know what's "succumbing to temptation"? The fact that I today I bought the May edition of Comptiq mag for the chance at seeing more tidbits of Lucky*Star... I am ashamed and enthralled at the same time. <3

I'm really, *really* hoping something's going to change with Lucky Channel, and soon. I'm beginning to feel that it's really taking away from Lucky*Star...
Old 2007-05-12, 23:10   Link #330
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its not that I don't "get" L*C ... its that I'm getting wistful that time that could be spent on manga content is being used for "rinse, lather, repeat". The variations on the theme (ala canon...) - we're going to get 24 relatively unique variations? Having trouble visualizing that. Keep in mind that I consider "The Cheese Shop" sketch by Monty Python one of their funniest skits.

It doesn't ruin my love of the show ... I'll just start giving separate ratings for the main content and the L*C segment. If L*C can provide humor for me, fabulous. I just have to adjust my expectations that I'm going to get only 2/3 an episode for L*S and hope they cover a sufficient amount of the manga
Old 2007-05-12, 23:43   Link #331
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Akira introduces herself
Akira mentions Shirashi in some method of less importance.
Shirashi introduces himself with some joke attached.
Question asked.
Shirashi answers.
Akira answers with her nice side.
Akira switches to her evil side and answers.
They run out of time.
They make comments about the production being screwed up.
Lather, rinse, repeat.
I think what reaches me in LC is that. We have a name for that type of show here in Argentina ("sketch"). Basically, classical comedy shows here last 1 hour, and are divided into several "sketches". Each sketch maintains its structure throughout the shows. It's a common way of doing comedy around here. What changes mostly are the themes that each sketch touches, but all in all, the same structure pervades. I'm not very sure, but I think I never saw an American show with that kind of structure.

It's not for all tastes, but it is for mine . Besides, always remember the typical manzai comedy, in which every joke maintains a set structure. I think it's pretty difficult to make a judgment from a completely western point of view, since I feel Japanese people would feel less intimidated by the repeated structure of the jokes.

EDIT:

Quote:
Keep in mind that I consider "The Cheese Shop" sketch by Monty Python one of their funniest skits.
Haha, that just remembered me, in many English comedy shows I've seen a similar sketch structure. I also recalled my translation teacher telling us about the similarity between English and Argentinian humor, while most Americans that hear an Argentinian or English joke often receive it with a head scratch .

Old 2007-05-12, 23:54   Link #332
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Lucky Channel is no less of an acquired taste than the rest of the show. Honestly, I'm not surprised with all of your reactions.
Old 2007-05-13, 00:01   Link #333
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye... like I said.. it isn't that L*C isn't funny, I'd just rather have more L*S. If they can keep creating funny out of L*C then fabulous for those who enjoy it.
Old 2007-05-13, 00:28   Link #334
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

I just had a thought here.....

Isn't L*C just another variation of the Japanese classic "boke/tsukkomi" routine?
Old 2007-05-13, 00:29   Link #335
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Isn't L*C just another variation of the Japanese classic "boke/tsukkomi" routine?
That's why I said manzai

Old 2007-05-13, 00:55   Link #336
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Enjoyed the style difference of the character chat. I tagged it as a bit of a reminder that the series is NOT "all about the funny" ...
It's not? Oh, hell...

Quote:
The next episode will be more summer break focused it appears and may even include the brief beach sequence from the comic (mostly Nanako and Yui chatting with runthroughs from the other girls).
I'm thinking I might want to find scans of those strips.

Quote:
On the other hand, Minoru is just a naturally very funny guy --- they should give him more one-liners in the main content.
Much love for Minoru. Hey, since he's the only major male character... Doesn't that make Lucky Star a harem type of show?

Akira is starting to wear thin, though. It really is the same thing over and over. Not like their repeating the bit for the sake of repitition, but it's like the writers just can't think of anything else for her to do.

Comparing just eps 4 & 5, the times are:
OP - 01:40 01:40
EC - 11:32 11:06
LC - 19:12 18:30
ED - 22:03 21:34
PV - 22:34 23:04

So LC started only 30 seconds sooner, but was only 13 seconds longer. The ED was a full 60 seconds longer, though they cut 32 seconds off of the preview.

Not much of a conspiracy. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
The whole point is that its the same exact sequence every time with different dialogue and its the dialogue that makes it funny.
...yaddayaddayadda...
Lather, rinse, repeat.
Y'know, they've got medication for obsessive-compulsive disorder now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Likes it because it's a sarcastic exaggeration of the scatalogical tendencies of American children's programming... Or do they actually think it's funny?

If it's the later, well....
Old 2007-05-13, 05:52   Link #337
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Quote:

Likes it because it's a sarcastic exaggeration of the scatalogical tendencies of American children's programming... Or do they actually think it's funny?

If it's the later, well....
At first it is the later, then when they tried to dive below the tip of the iceberg, they found out the former.

Maybe I like LC channel because a lot of french comedians I like are comic duos....
Old 2007-05-13, 11:08   Link #338
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

I was somewhat disappointed with this episode, with the summer festival I had high expectations as it gave them so many scenarios to play with, but it all fell a bit flat, with lots of missed opportunities for humour. Eg. The fleeing goldfish thing was funny, but to wrap that scene up abruptly with Kagami catching one was a cop out, those tissue paper scoop things are so hard to use, you need a magic touch and Kagami's aggressive nature should have resulted in endless failure, perhaps leaving Tsukasa or Miyuki to scoop one. In the end I didn't think they took advantage of any of the events at the fair, really it should have been possible to make a whole episode of just the festival stuff but instead they seemed to be scratching around vaguely for inspiration. I didn't find Yui a very interesting character either.

Overall it wasn't a bad episode, but it missed the chance of being a great episode. In the end the best scenes were where they were just sat around at the sausages' house I thought.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Old 2007-05-13, 11:30   Link #339
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
I was somewhat disappointed with this episode, with the summer festival I had high expectations as it gave them so many scenarios to play with, but it all fell a bit flat, with lots of missed opportunities for humour. Eg. The fleeing goldfish thing was funny, but to wrap that scene up abruptly with Kagami catching one was a cop out, those tissue paper scoop things are so hard to use, you need a magic touch and Kagami's aggressive nature should have resulted in endless failure, perhaps leaving Tsukasa or Miyuki to scoop one. In the end I didn't think they took advantage of any of the events at the fair, really it should have been possible to make a whole episode of just the festival stuff but instead they seemed to be scratching around vaguely for inspiration. I didn't find Yui a very interesting character either.

Overall it wasn't a bad episode, but it missed the chance of being a great episode. In the end the best scenes were where they were just sat around at the sausages' house I thought.
THANK YOU! Oh lordy, someone else understands. I was also quite disappointed that the fair was overshadowed suddenly when Lol-Fang teach approached the group. They could have also done a lot more with Yui other than seemingly materialize a Bonta-Kun mask onto her face (although when I looked closer you can make out the outlines of something behind her head in the initial scene, but it looks nothing like the Bonta-Kun mask that she has on in the next shot.)

The best scenes for me were when Kagami's sweat drop made the Ide noise, when the fish scurried away from her and when Konata talked about the girls scoring a dating sim point with each other. Also Miyuki and Tsukasa having a stupid discussion was good to see again. Unfortunately those were all packed into a short period of time in the episode, and you want to keep the viewer laughing throughout so that wasn't a good thing. Wasted opportunity included the teacher's appearance at the festival, the MMO sequence, Yui's introduction (She's a spastic cop that can't aim worth beans for crying out loud. Come on get up now KyoAni storyboarder, let's switch places), which also happened to take up a lot of time. Plus, since Lucky Channel invaded the set earlier they also lost time. Better pacing and storyboarding is all that is needed to fix things and I think they can do this.
Old 2007-05-13, 21:46   Link #340
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I actually love L.C. I think that it's fun seeing Akira skewer something otaku related from the question pile. Lolicons, pigtails, MMO's ... nothing's sacred to her.