AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-24, 14:01   Link #221
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Send a message via AIM to Futaba-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Futaba-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui from Okinawa
"chor" (=Wings or Corps)
Y'know, the more I think about this, the more I think that Yui is right about the correct term being "Chor." Neville, Parietta, and others are quite explicit in talking to Morinas and Aaeru that the primary focus of the Sibylla before the war was as priestesses, not as warriors. The religious dimensions of the Ri Maajon were their primary focus... and a "Chor" (or choir) of priestesses makes more sense as an organizing unit than any sort of military terminology like "Corps."

(OTOH, having listened to the dialogue all weekend, it really does sound like they're saying "Call"....)

Chor Tempest? What do people think?
Futaba-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 14:31   Link #222
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Chor? Come on, I'd like to believe that the seiyuus wouldn't pronounce this as "call" or "core" . Same for choir.

Quote:
and a "Chor" (or choir) of priestesses makes more sense as an organizing unit than any sort of military terminology like "Corps."
Why? They do fight, after all, priestess or not. I still prefer corps.

Nice summaries, btw.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 14:35   Link #223
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
Chor? Come on, I'd like to believe that the seiyuus wouldn't pronounce this as "call" or "core".
"Chor" is pronounced "core" -- the "ch" is hard as in "choir". "Chor", "core", and "corps" are all homonyms, as is "cole" if you're a Japanese-speaking seiyuu not distinguishing between 'r' and 'l'.

Here's a question for someone with better Kanji and Katakana comprehension: on simoun.tv, is the term spelled "ka-ru" or "ko-ru"?
Old 2006-04-24, 14:42   Link #224
Matrim

What does "chor" mean anyway?

Old 2006-04-24, 15:11   Link #225
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
What does "chor" mean anyway?
It's Greek (and German) for "choir" or "chorus" -- and a choir of priestesses offering prayers to the Tempus Spatium makes sense as a possible etymology.

Since it's also the German word, is this just a case of wasei-doitsu?
Old 2006-04-24, 15:17   Link #226
Matrim

I see, now it makes more sense.

Talk about trying to guess what the scriptwriters were thinking when they came up with that name. Was it "core", "call", "chor" or "corps"? Place your bets, please.

Old 2006-04-25, 08:01   Link #227
Simon
気持ち悪い

(Catching up on my AS reading, so excuse me for replying to some old posts.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaba-chan
"That which is beautiful is good." (Literally, "if it's beautiful, it's good.")
Thanks - I had the literal translation, but I knew there had to be a more elegant way of phrasing it. That title fits the promo video so perfectly, too. And by the way, *glomp* for the episode synopses, and *glomp* again for all your great work on the Wiki (at least I'm guessing that's you - if not I sheepishly withdraw the second *glomp* ).

Yui, thank you for posting the OP/ED lyrics! Amazon shipped my CDs on Saturday, but it's great being able to read along to the OP video in the meantime (even though I don't know many of the kanji, just reading the kana helps).

Quote:
I'm thinking specifically of St. Juste from Oniisama E, who was about as far from Nausicaa in voice and temperament as you can get. Rather like Kotono Mitsuishi doing both Usagi Tsukino and Juri Arisugawa....
The first two anime I bought were Noir and Excel Saga - I've been in awe of Mitsuishi-san ever since I realised she was the voice of both Mireille and Excel. How does one person do that? In fact all three of the Noir girls are near the top of favourite seiyū list (Hisakawa Aya does the cutest drunk!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
I made a page with pictures, names and seiyuus of as many of the characters as I could figure out. Based on the official site and the Japanese wiki.
Is Grand Shrine Empress a translation of オナシア Onashia? Erii says that in ep 2, and it's on the official site, but I just assumed it was the character's name - a title would make more sense however.

So it seems the only two names left outstanding are ドミヌーラ Dominūra and マミーナ Mamiina. By elimination, do they match these two characters from the OP? Mystery face 1 (00:46) / Mystery face 2 (01:02)

I've also gleaned a couple of interesting tidbits reading the AOD Simoun thread. People there have drawn parallels with the sci-fi novels Commitment Hour and The Left Hand of Darkness - both sound quite relevant. More significantly,

Spoiler:

Quote:
Neville, Parietta, and others are quite explicit in talking to Morinas and Aaeru that the primary focus of the Sibylla before the war was as priestesses, not as warriors. The religious dimensions of the Ri Maajon were their primary focus...
I still think both chor and corps are equally plausible, but the point you're making here is backed up by the earliest synopses that came out: "They are at war; the country where the main characters live is invaded by the next country aiming at their superior engine. ... To intercept their attack, they convert the two-seater plane for ceremony, Simoun, into a fighter." (My emphasis.)

This fits our earlier speculation that not all Ri Maajon are for combat - if you replace "ceremony" with "ritual" in what I just quoted, you can imagine the Sybilla creating Ri Maajon for all sorts of religious purposes. But then again, maybe their history is one of being warrior-priestesses and the term corps has been handed down from that tradition.

Finally, I was thinking about the nature of Ri Maajon themselves: origins lost in the mists of time, a few hundred basic elements that combine in a mind-boggling number of ways... Hey, they sound just like kanji!
Old 2006-04-25, 08:40   Link #228
Yui from Okinawa

Send a message via Yahoo to Yui from Okinawa
Choir ? chor? call? but I continue to renewal....

http://www.geocities.jp/emiri_0623/interview.htm

Reprint from "The Voice of Blue Ffortune"News magazine interview to administrator "Halconf "
*This article is fiction , as if Webmistress Yui visit the planet "Sky Land ",and interview wth governner....

Yui: I straine and interview with the "man" of the first time, and more over politician.

Halconf: Hello the lady, and another world vister Yui, Today 's intervier is going to schedule to print at May issue "The VOICE OF BLUE FORTUNE "
The news magazine our simulaclm nation 's.

Yui: At first I thought he is more feminine face because of , All human-being on this planet who was born of everything of female ,and
reach to the a constant age, they decided permanent physical sex and jendeir woman or man.

Halconf: What go wrong?

Yui:No,I start to interview.

Yui's monologue
* ...He is masculine more than I imaginated before I met, tall and slender , onlly difference is Voice of tone of lower-alto and woman's frame remainings...

Yui :May I want to hear the opinion of the invasion of the "Argentum-Shou nation " in this time?

Halconf:
The invasion, it is clear and a plan filled with the desire to try to plunder of the treasure by which our country becomes it in sacredness.
Fortunately our holy nation is separated by the ocean and steep mountain range, They cannot attack without boat or air-craft, but it is impossible to their Primitive science, until just Now...

Yui :Just Now??

Halconf: Yes, the Argentum people is misfortune,why the nation is Totalitarianism as you talk your planet historical collapse nation so, as like.......

Yui :Yes I talk about our collpsed hisrorical nation example " USSR " or "NATIZ" .

Halconf:
That kind nation's people has No-right to desision of physical sex & jender, The nation force to many of people were Male by andlogen hormone When the new baby has born for soldier or industrial worker, except for the needs few female for population as if Baby Production machine.
The river water and the Sky is polluted, and it becomes impure, and the majority of people suffer from pollution-related disease.

Certainly、our Simulacrum nation has the dicision to prople's physical sex & jender at age of 17, There is at least freedom of the selection of the individual though it is not a total freedom will because the half of the human race must be "Opposite jender or sex".

Yui's monologue
*...I remember the movie "Casshern" BY Kiriya diirecter's movie one-scene, in Dictator's nation of the majority of the people who were suffered from pollution-diisease....

Yui :How will you fight with them in the future?

Halconf:
I want to call to the people "Know Your Enemy: Argentum".
Recently, the event that the remaining soldier from the airframe that crashed in our territory had lurked happened.
The enemy is swept away by the volunteer in my fortunately, the number of these way events is expected to be going to increase in the future though the thing cry was obtained. it is no-permanent our nation defended by the breakwater of nature.

Yui :Are your justice and public attitude as the politician that your daughter Ms.Neviril has gone out to the front of the combat as a Sibylla Aurea (=shrine maiden) by Simoun ,aren't you?

Halconf:
Yes, Lady Yui, at first I'm administrator, AND the seconnd the father of daughter, If she comes back safely, the responsibility as politician's daughter at the same time also really has me in feelings said to her in every case without fail, "
" Welcome home, Neviril " though of course the wish for daughter's happiness.

Yui :Thanks , Gentleman....

-FIN-

Other source is episode 4 & Japanese wiki page ’s Subject "シムーンの世界"
(Trans. The World of simoun)
http://dempa-kitaa.hp.infoseek.co.jp...moun/index.cgi

Last edited by Yui from Okinawa; 2006-04-25 at 09:32.
Yui from Okinawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 09:41   Link #229
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Yay! Boo!

Yay! Simoun 4 is out!

Boo! I can't watch it until after work!

Yay! We got a lot of work done on the Wikipedia page last night!

Boo! I didn't get synopsis 3 done!

(Okay, so I'm in a silly mood....)
Old 2006-04-25, 09:52   Link #230
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 2006-04-25, 13:44   Link #231
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Desu?

That was one funny glitch. 8)

I am officially freaked out by the fact that men in Simoun-land have feminine voices. And I don't mean just the bishounen like the commander, but everyone. It's just weird. Add that to the fact that some men seem to have breasts (like Waporif), and this show makes for a bit of a disorienting watch.

I liked episode 4, but still doesn't click with me as far as the whole series is concerned. I wish they'd introduce at least some elements of a major plot line, instead of just doing character interaction or establishing the world. Which is important as well, but now it's really taking away from the plot.

Also, what's wrong with Morinas? She didn't seem so playful last time? She seemed strong, determined, dedicated in her goals. But now she is smooching with Aael AND she can't hangle piloting a Simoun?

Spoiler:

Next week: another Rimone episode.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 13:54   Link #232
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Hey, wow, the fansub for episode 2 is out now. I thought episode 2 was one of the best individual anime episodes I've seen in a long time; I'll be interested to see what sort of a job the fansub has done with it. And how far off I was in my synopsis. :-)
Old 2006-04-25, 13:54   Link #233
Matrim

Nice to see Rimone in a central role in episode four and I think I like Aeru more and more.

Quote:
I am officially freaked out by the fact that men in Simoun-land have feminine voices. And I don't mean just the bishounen like the commander, but everyone.
I agree, it's weird.

Spoiler for episode four:

Old 2006-04-25, 21:15   Link #234
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
So it seems the only two names left outstanding are ドミヌーラ Dominūra and マミーナ Mamiina. By elimination, do they match these two characters from the OP? Mystery face 1 (00:46) / Mystery face 2 (01:02)
From the post-episode trailer at the end of episode 4, it seems that face 1 is Mamiina, and face 2 is Dominura (aka the drag^H^H^H^Hbitch queen of the fleet, or so she's made to seem).

Quote:
People there have drawn parallels with the sci-fi novels Commitment Hour and The Left Hand of Darkness - both sound quite relevant.
A friend introduced me to James Alan Gardiner last year, and I thought Commitment Hour was particularly neat. (And Ascending, of course -- I am not such a one as can get enough of Oar.) I had some reservations about the ending -- the characters' specific situations at the end were baldly telegraphed from the beginning (Chekhov's gun, eh?), and the actual secret of what was going on undercut a lot of the interesting things that the novel had to say up to that point.

Spoiler for episode 2:

Last edited by Futaba-chan; 2006-04-27 at 18:48.
Old 2006-04-25, 21:40   Link #235
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

episode 4 raw

I guess I'm just bewitched by this series. The supposedly slow development doesn't bother me in the least. And the feminine men's voices are a wonderful way of making us feel the alienness of the world. Episode 4 was so different that it just opened up the series to a whole other dimension for me.

I don't think the thing with Aaeru's eyes was a glitch. They must have intended it, it was so obvious. What the explanation is, though, I do not know. Just one more mystery....

Morinasu's apparent incompetence seemed reasonable to me: Aaeru tempted her into doing something she was not really trained for. Aaeru doesn't understand that other people need training. When she sat in a Simoun for the first time, she piloted so well that Neviril was amazed. On the official site, it says that Rimone is exceptional, too.

Morinasu was playful in both episodes she's been featured in, but I agree she seemed different. I'm thinking it may be different staff...I just checked and it's partly true: the episode director (enshutsu 演出) and animation director (sakuga kantoku 作画監督) have been new people for every episode so far. And a new storyboard person this week, too, as there was last week. We're back to the same scriptwriter as the first two episodes, though. (Info from this page of the official site.)

The music continues to be so weird that it's wonderful. The theme under the whole episode in the woods helped make it seem less serious than it might have. I guess some might feel it detracted from the tension. I felt it adding magic. Like I say, I'm bewitched.

The only slight disappointment I had was that I really couldn't get into Noto-kawaii's voicing of Rimone. It just didn't quite work for me -- maybe because I kept hearing the woman herself, instead of the character. But I do have a few more watches to get used to it, lol.

And I agree that I like Aaeru more and more. It took me a while to get used to her VA, Niino Michi, but I sure am now.

(Please let me know if I should spoiler any of this.)
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-04-25 at 22:05.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 23:06   Link #236
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
Is Grand Shrine Empress a translation of オナシア Onashia?
No, she's addressed by the title daikyuukou, which apparently means that.
Old 2006-04-25, 23:08   Link #237
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Episode 2 Synopsis (revised)

Simoun
Episode 02: "The Blue Spring"

I've revised the episode 2 synopsis. I'm reposting it rather than editing the old one in case anyone wants to compare to see how embarrassingly far off I was in a couple of places....

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

END OF EPISODE

Last edited by Futaba-chan; 2006-04-27 at 18:54.
Old 2006-04-25, 23:16   Link #238
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
I guess I'm just bewitched by this series. The supposedly slow development doesn't bother me in the least.
I don't actually think that the development is slow at all. The chor suffered 50% casualties between deaths and departures; if anything, they're being remarkably fast about getting anywhere toward being combat-effective again.

Spoiler for episode 4:

Quote:
The music continues to be so weird that it's wonderful.
I just absolutely love the music, and I can't wait for soundtrack albums to become available. Of course, I've fallen in love with the series altogether, but the music just really, really works.

Quote:
And I agree that I like Aaeru more and more. It took me a while to get used to her VA, Niino Michi, but I sure am now.
I've liked her voice from the start. In particular, the scene in episode 2 where she lands after her dogfight and gets chewed out by Paraietta features some really wonderful voice acting all around, but she was very good in this episode, too.

Last edited by Futaba-chan; 2006-04-27 at 18:44.
Old 2006-04-26, 00:22   Link #239
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Saw episode two.

A drastic improvement in both animation and soundtrack qualities from episode one. There were more variety in the background tracks played, and this time I could perceive that the Simoun CGI effects blended suitably with the watercolor landscape. Even I could feel inside the cockpit observing the Simoun flying by.

I really did not feel anything out of the norm with Neville's flashback of Amuria greeting her as her pair with the kiss. On the contrary, I felt it something natural like a formality from Amuria to greet her pair and welcome her, though I won't deny that Neville could have felt a connection to Amuria.

Aeru is solid about staying 'Simoun Simula' until the war is won. She's an interesting character within the all-broke-out war theme, unlike other main protagonists, she's got a plain morality about enemies always been enemies. Henceforth, she's not distressed about fighting to death or having to take enemies' lives in the battlefield.
However, I'm not fond for her hasty and reckless attitude about her views on the war for the start. Though its necessary so as for her to grow up, learning sooner or later that the invader nation are driven by need or motivated to retrieve Simoun technology.

Then, I continue with Paraietta who brings to me memories of Mai-Otome because her voicing is done by Ami Koshimizu, sounding exactly alike to Nina Wong.

Lastly, for my last impression I think that Erif overreacted after coming out from the spring. As a girl, 'he' could just had remained a Simula until the war was won thus giving 'him' more time to properly reflect about 'his' choice. The elders commented that they cannot force the Simula's decision to go to the spring, furthering evidence that nobody partaked in 'his' decision.
'He' simply went to the spring as felt obligated to carry on the ritualistic tradition. 'He' did not take into thought seriously the pros and cons of whether becoming man or staying as a woman. It was the pressure that stressed 'him' and strained 'his' future vision just because 'he' had to visit the spring as a must-do duty.

A note to Doremi fansubs: You made a mistake with the age. After turning 17, the girls decide whether or not to visit the spring to choose their gender.

Juunana sai means seventeen-years-old from Japanese Romaji.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 07:47   Link #240
Yui from Okinawa

Send a message via Yahoo to Yui from Okinawa
Episode-4 "The nearby War "

*above image is " ODD EYES " Aae!l

Episode 4 digest

Choir tempest is removed from the first line.
Aael flying around Shimoun by no permission for looking for her best
partner Sagitta(=Navicater) with good compatibility.

First choice SAJITTA is " Morinasu" , but no match for ...
She return Arcus Prima", try to persuasde " Neviril " who has been depressed
from to the voice from the outside of the door.
But the persuadsion failed to because of Shie has more depressed in the last time
battle and loss the partner " Amuria".

The next mid-moon-night , Aael and Rimone flying Shimoun around
by no permission,
They found the grounded Simoun , But there is the enemy 's trap.
They were s caught by An aged " Argentum nation 's soldier.
(Orijinally evacuate pilot from airframe Dragon-Fly had been crashed.)

That grounded Shimoun is only " Decoy " made by poor materials.....

Enemy Argentum Soldier become desperate what The air-craft Shimoun has
flying to their nation and it takes it home-land.
TThe enemy aged soldier oftalks about the own past to them, and grieves
for his body.
However, the difference of the language divided and separated him and them.

Enemy soldier tried to fly "Simoun" again, but Simoun has no Activate why that
has especially " the male or man is rejected by Emelald (Jade) ,eqipped on "Simoun".
Only piloted Sibylla , not mature woman or girl can activate Simoun and Fly.

Aael & Rimone try to escape from the rope cuttin,
Fortuneately, Enemy Soldier has the what kind of the disease of Lung ....
He coughs up blood....

He was vomited and the breath had already discontinued though when Aael and
Rimone tried to repulse him .

Aael forced to keep away "Remone " because of she is unmature youngt girl.

Aael was chopped off Tesa of the enemy person who died suddenly of sickness
of lungs (the pollution-related disease by smog), pulled from the cockpit, and peeled off
Aael seem to throw tears for "an aged enemy soldier", but anyone who knows that true reason....

After hidden returning, Arel offerd to "Waporiff" the leader of mechanics which Aael and Rimone willing to washes the airframe.
The secret of the fact blody cockpit buried to the eternal dark.and forgotten....
And aged Argentum Soldier , only no decision to become one sided jender.... His death will be forgotten even if the mother nation......

Last edited by Yui from Okinawa; 2006-05-01 at 09:18.
Yui from Okinawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri