AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 61 52.14%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 35.90%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 8.55%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 0.85%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.71%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.85%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-01, 20:20   Link #41
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
The Winter Firework variation though seems to be an original.
Not really, it's the version from Kanon arrange best album "recollections".

Btw, I made an avatar from this episode.
Old 2006-12-01, 20:42   Link #42
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
I don't think they've stretched the Makoto arc too much, per se, but that they are trying to resolve it a bit too quickly. The pacing of the arc in general has been fabulous, but this episode it felt a bit stilted - probably because KyoAni are compressing it down to resolution by the end of the next episode. If they'd decided to move it until episode 12 (as in, the resolution I assume is coming) then this episode would no doubt have been paced a little better.

That said - nine for this one. It was hovering between eight and nine, but the final few lines by Makoto boosted it up rather severely. Teared me up a bit, at least, especially with the music playing...

Looking forward (in a dreading sense) to ~requiem~.

-Andiyar
Old 2006-12-02, 00:01   Link #43
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Here's a transcript that corresponds to the final part of episode 9 in-game. Maybe this might clarify things for the viewers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selections of January 27, wednesday (Makoto)

After that day, Makoto starts to becomes much more quiet.
To say quiet actually doesn't exactly fit the picture, but it does put it in a better word.
Not saying much is the actual reality.
She spends more time doing nothing and just stays around from dawn to dusk.
I and Makoto look toward the drifting snow quietly. Makoto puts her ahnd on my thigh.

(omit first part about eating tangerine)

Makoto nods, as she shifts her focus to outside the window. The snow has gotten worse. I look towards that expressionless facade of Makoto without lifting my eyes.
Makoto has lost her smiles and her anger, basically she is slowly losing things that make her human.
This sounds obvious given how that she is only maintaining her human appearance after such a struggle.
Although her appearance might be human, but her emotions are not that of a human. Looking at this transformation is a painful thing.
Why not just simply disappear before it has come to this point?
To think that I would have such thought. Maybe it is I that am starting to weaken.
I already feel quite a sense of longing just at the thought of fighting with Makoto.
Makoto at the time was so full of spirit that it spites people almost.
Y: Hey, Makoto.
M: ...
M: ...?

(omit part on spitting out the orange)
Makoto takes out the tangerine peels that cannot be swallowed, and puts it back into my hand.
After the dinner, I lie dead in my bed. The time spent in dining wore me down.
Even so, because everyone is aware of the situation, the atmosphere wasn't heavy.
Besides, it is the only time that everyone could be together, Even if it adds more trouble, I would like to treasure the time.

M: Hey... Yuiichi...
Having snapped out of it, Makoto who should be back into her room shows her face.
Y: Makoto, what's going on?
I hide my weariness and gets out of the bed.
M: Read... read...
Y: Book? Manga?
She nods.
Y: Ok, come over here.
M: Umm.
She comes over happily,
and the moment she lies down, she parks her nose right next to my arm.

I remember that in the past, I would've tossed her out without giving it a second though for her being such a nusiance.
But now it's whatever that please her goes. Any expression of love or whatsoever has become meaningless.
Y: This one?

(omit reading)
M: Want...
Y: Ahh?
Makoto suddenly makes some noise.
M: Want to... get married.
Y: Wait till you've grown up.
M: Want to be married to Yuiichi.
M: That way we can always be together...
Y: Umm, that's true...
M: ...
Y: Want to... keep reading?
M: Umm...
Makoto seems to understand as well. The final moment is about to arrive. By then, Makoto will never be able to grow up.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-12-02, 01:16   Link #44
Minoto

Wow...all I can say is, next Friday is going to be painful, and will probably make me wish there was an 11 on the poll...
Old 2006-12-02, 02:15   Link #45
ImClueless
Rawr

Dunno if anyone pointed this out already, but a red fox on average only lives 3-6 years. 10-12 years is pretty much the extreme range of their life span. Makoto human form should be a 100 year old woman , but considering the nature of the whole scenario and show I guess thats beside the point.
Old 2006-12-02, 02:30   Link #46
Blue Reverie
Rank-and-file poster

Didn't Amano say she was some kind of special, legendary fox?
Old 2006-12-02, 04:09   Link #47
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Reverie View Post
Didn't Amano say she was some kind of special, legendary fox?
yea she did...and she also met on herself when she was small O.o how many of these foxes at there!? offsprings from the mother i guess...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-12-02, 04:14   Link #48
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

I shall start taking a different approach on my thoughts for each episode from now on.

I don't really see where the drops in quality are, but then again I've only gone through it once, so if anyone would care to point it out to me, please do. Storyline-wise...this episode is just about as different from the previous 8 episodes, as night is from day. If anything, I think of Episode 9 to be the true turning point of Kanon; knowing that there are plenty of sceptics out there who are watching Kanon for the sake of bashing it, I will now endeavour to state that if this episode doesn't make them change their minds about Kanon, then nothing ever will, and they should give it up and stop torturing us with their cynical words.

First off, I am a 20 year old male...and by the time of the Yuuichi-Amano bridge scene, I was already fighting hard to keep the tears from flooding. It is...just that powerful. Overall, all the scenes of Makoto's increasing degeneration was done wonderfully, and the more she declines, the harder is the emotional impact on me. Of course, the fact that I'm currently watching the Japanese drama serial <<One Liter of Tears>> only makes me all the more receptive to the slow, wrenching tragedy unfolding for Makoto, but fact remains is that this is the defining moment, for me. This is what Kanon is truly about.

Now that I'm done being all mushy, I'll focus on the one thing that I find lacking in this episode; once again, no Ayu or Shiori, and no Mai this time around, either. Actually, I think it's fine that Mai is not there; she'll just be stealing what's left of Mishio's role if she appeared anyway, and I don't particularly mind Shiori being absent either; she has totally no bearing on the Makoto arc as well, so her presence would merely be wasting time. However, it's the absence of Ayu I feel keenly the most; why, you ask me? Simply because Ayu had the chance to interact with Makoto back in Episode 4.

Now, I realize that more likely than not, their chance meeting is a purely KyoAni addition; it probably never happened in the game, and so by right, Ayu should not have that much of an impact on the Makoto arc either. However, from the way I see it, this part of Makoto's arc was a fantastic opportunity to do some fleshing out of Ayu's character on the side, but one that KyoAni failed to take advantage of in this episode. The way I see it, those two had actually drummed up a nice level of rapport in Episode 4, but KyoAni failed to build onto it further by having Ayu come in, and perhaps even assist Yuuichi in taking care of the ailing Makoto. If she had done so, it would have been a shining opportunity to showcase a more mature, more caring side of Ayu, and thus leave first-time viewers with another, and hopefully better impression of Ayu's character than the immature little girl the sceptics (not unreasonably, to be honest, at least as far as this series has run so far) think of her to be.

Spoiler:

The other thing I might want to gripe about is Nayuki. It is not for nothing that some are starting to think that this time, Nayuki hardly looks like being part of the family this time; Yuuichi does most of the work in taking care of the convalescent Makoto, and Nayuki doesn't seem to be doing much in the way of assistance. Granted, it was the same thing in Toei Kanon; however, the one thing about the flawed structure of Toei's rendering of the Makoto arc is that it sometimes serve to cover up some other flaws it might otherwise have. In this case, the Makoto arc in Toei Kanon runs for a grand total of one episode; with such limited time, the rushed pacing makes one forget that Nayuki wasn't there. However, with the slower, somewhat more realistic pacing of KyoAni Kanon, Nayuki's general absence in most of the scenes is all the more jarring. At least the complicated looks she gives Yuuichi is very well done, but otherwise, her lack of doing much of anything makes her look like an outsider, of sorts.

So, with all these, what's my final score? 9 out of 10. Because, despite this episode's flaws, I am not blind to the fact that in the end, this episode achieved what it set out to do; focus on the main storyline of Makoto's decline, and doing it well.
Old 2006-12-02, 08:22   Link #49
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

That's like... one of the worst things I've ever seen in my life. Sorry, I just had to say it.
Old 2006-12-02, 09:40   Link #50
KenOhki'sRage
Primula hates you

Nah that's fine, you're entitled to hate it as much as we're entitled to love it. I personally hate Fruits Basket and it has an enormously popular following. I wish everyone would love this as much as I do but you can't please everyone all the time.
Old 2006-12-02, 11:36   Link #51
Minoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
The other thing I might want to gripe about is Nayuki. It is not for nothing that some are starting to think that this time, Nayuki hardly looks like being part of the family this time; Yuuichi does most of the work in taking care of the convalescent Makoto, and Nayuki doesn't seem to be doing much in the way of assistance.
. . .
[W]ith the slower, somewhat more realistic pacing of KyoAni Kanon, Nayuki's general absence in most of the scenes is all the more jarring. At least the complicated looks she gives Yuuichi is very well done, but otherwise, her lack of doing much of anything makes her look like an outsider, of sorts.
I didn't really think that Nayuki's absence was all that odd. This has to be a difficult time for her, as she's trying to get her head around the revelation of Makoto's true identity. It's also something of a turning point for Yuuichi, as he realizes and accepts that the current situation truly is his responsibility, the result of his actions in the past. His relationship with Makoto shifts from that point on, as he drops the teasing and instead starts showing genuine concern and affection (not in the romantic sense, but he clearly sees the pain he caused her in the past, and wants to do the right thing this time) for her. How must that make Nayuki feel, watching Yuuichi demonstrate such concern for another girl? I'm not surprised that she'd keep her distance most of the time, and yet she still seems to try to act out her role as a silent supporter of Yuuichi -- think of the scene where Akiko and Nayuki bring up lunch while Yuuichi's sitting with Makoto, who's playing with her bell. They're trying to be helpful, and doing the only thing that they can, yet they're still on the wrong side of a closed door, both literally and figuratively.
Old 2006-12-02, 11:58   Link #52
Forever
Revealing the truth

DOnt want to sound too sadistic here, but I was kenna of disappointed that makoto didnt die this ep. I brought out the tissues and was so ready to see her die, but in the end didnt. Makes me felt I wasted my time getting the tissue.

But the last part was good. Stirred quite a lot of emotions within me.
Old 2006-12-02, 12:44   Link #53
Kurogane_Shiroikaze
Mikuru Moe Overload

Send a message via MSN to Kurogane_Shiroikaze
I cried on this episode. Twice at that too...

Kanon is not disappointing me at all... not at all..
Old 2006-12-02, 13:06   Link #54
KenOhki'sRage
Primula hates you

Clueless you and I ask the same questions. In Japanese mythology as foxes age they gain magical powers and their tails split. The most tails they can have is 9 which is an extremely magical and old fox. According to legend the Chinese emporer was once married to a fox, when it was revealed she was a fox she escaped.

I'm guessing that Makoto is either a kit for many many years or she's an adult fox that'll live for perhaps centuries, unless something were to get in her way. The fact that she's a young adult human is simply because it's Yuuichi's age not because it reflects her own age (which would only be 7 btw)
Old 2006-12-02, 13:58   Link #55
New/Old
Old to the New

Ascaloth.

Spoiler:

However, I will say this. Makoto's arc still has some things to go through before that wedding scene. Hmm-hmm. Do not think it'll rush immediately into that yet. You already saw a glimpse of the family getting a photo. That's one of the things I remember happening. At least from my hazy memory... I like to think of it as an overall overlook...
Old 2006-12-02, 15:24   Link #56
dzer

I hope some kind of miracle happens in ep10 and Kyon2 finds mama-fox and beg her for help
Spoiler:
Old 2006-12-02, 17:00   Link #57
lalala

uhh...i think i should watched episode 8 more carefully cause i was confused for half the episode ehe....so it wasnt emotional at all for me..
but i thought it was well made and although people say it goes too fast, i dont really want to see makoto going thru this regression over too many episodes

btw i never saw the originals or played the game so i dont know the story

over all it was good but confusing for me.....
Old 2006-12-02, 17:09   Link #58
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzer View Post
I hope some kind of miracle happens in ep10 and Kyon2 finds mama-fox and beg her for help
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

--Ian.
Old 2006-12-02, 21:59   Link #59
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quajafrie View Post
That's like... one of the worst things I've ever seen in my life. Sorry, I just had to say it.
Fair enough. The only thing I would like to ask is: Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoto View Post
I didn't really think that Nayuki's absence was all that odd. This has to be a difficult time for her, as she's trying to get her head around the revelation of Makoto's true identity. It's also something of a turning point for Yuuichi, as he realizes and accepts that the current situation truly is his responsibility, the result of his actions in the past. His relationship with Makoto shifts from that point on, as he drops the teasing and instead starts showing genuine concern and affection (not in the romantic sense, but he clearly sees the pain he caused her in the past, and wants to do the right thing this time) for her. How must that make Nayuki feel, watching Yuuichi demonstrate such concern for another girl? I'm not surprised that she'd keep her distance most of the time, and yet she still seems to try to act out her role as a silent supporter of Yuuichi -- think of the scene where Akiko and Nayuki bring up lunch while Yuuichi's sitting with Makoto, who's playing with her bell. They're trying to be helpful, and doing the only thing that they can, yet they're still on the wrong side of a closed door, both literally and figuratively.
Come to think about it...that does make sense. Still, I wish Nayuki was a bit more present than she was this time round; at least to show more scenes of her feeling conflicted, if nothing else. I just feel they didn't add enough Nayuki into the recipe to bring out her innate angst properly this time...but hey, what do I know? Different people have different tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New/Old View Post
Ascaloth.

Spoiler:

However, I will say this. Makoto's arc still has some things to go through before that wedding scene. Hmm-hmm. Do not think it'll rush immediately into that yet. You already saw a glimpse of the family getting a photo. That's one of the things I remember happening. At least from my hazy memory... I like to think of it as an overall overlook...
I understand, N/O. However, something I've almost come to expect of KyoAni is their usage of additions into the script to enhance the original storyline overall. All I'm saying is, I'm just disappointed they missed out a spectacular opportunity to do that.
Old 2006-12-02, 23:24   Link #60
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
what a heartbreaking episode i dont remember being this upset in the original but as Makoto grew worse i was almost on the verge tears. Nyuuki acted as expected with the news of Makoto being a fox. Watching Yuuichi spend time with her was very heart warming. Yuuichi has a big heart which is one of the reason many things like this will be happening to him. Makoto slow decline would devestating on most people but Yuuichi keeps it together pretty well. Oh well i gave it a perfect 10 if im this upset over this arc im going to be crying like a baby when the rest of girls in Yuuichi life get their stories told