AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-05, 09:51   Link #2241
justpassingby

Barubarusa Novel version
Spoiler:
During the Satelight Anime Night event, Matsumoto was among the audiences. They called his name during the Lucky Draw segment, but the Nico2 Camera didn't pan to him
Spoiler for Lucky Draw prizes:

Last edited by justpassingby; 2012-05-05 at 10:07.
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 10:22   Link #2242
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well there is definately as connection with another Matsumoto (Leiji) in the design of the Barubarusa there. Brigde radar and turrets are very Yamato inspired. The wings, missile batteries (and skull and crossbones) are very Arcadia inspired.
Old 2012-05-05, 10:55   Link #2243
justpassingby

I LOLed at Marika's "Nin" and "Gochisousama"

My impression about the 3 novels adaptation: Sucks :P. I know Sasamoto gave full authority to Tatsuo to do as he likes, but god damn.

According to ARIEL Japanese wikipedia entry (without source) [Link], Sasamoto didn't satisfy with the first 2 episodes of the OVA, that he wrote the scenario for the final 2. I think this time he will not comment anything or be careful with his comments, seeing what happened during Gundam AGE Flit Arc .

Which also brings the question if Bandai willl be involved in producing the plamo for Bentenmaru. There was even a Nico2 comment during the Satelight Anime Night Event, "The plamo is going to sell more than AGE's plamo"

Last edited by justpassingby; 2012-05-06 at 09:08.
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 11:59   Link #2244
Midonin
Last Engage

Mobirates 18 - Miss Kidnappee Can Take Care Of Herself, Thank You

And so concludes what was probably my favorite arc of this series so far. It has everything I can enjoy. Actual miniskirt space pirates. Cosplay. Some space battles. Yuri. Miko Chiaki reaching her breaking point. Yuri. Rapid instruction manual writing. Yuri. The further I get into this show, the more it's looking like I signed on for pirates, and ended up getting a business program instead. When plot twists hinge on insurance companies and accounting details, I feel kind of like I've stepped outside my comfort zone. But what keeps me in is the characters. That's the most important thing for any show, and Marika and Chiaki and the princesses and all the members of the Yacht Club aren't ciphers for business stuff like I thought they were - seeing them take control of the Bentenmaru in a way that was, arguably, more dynamic than the main crew shows that she has changed while still remaining recognizably herself. The show is very well made, I give it points for that.

Next week: Spring cleaning.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 12:15   Link #2245
00Coyote

LOL
Spoiler for episode 18:
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 12:20   Link #2246
Utsuro no Hako

The space battle could've been done a lot better. Unlike previous battles, there was no sense of strategy -- the enemy was just blasting away at the Bentenmaru one moment, then someone says, "We dodged them all" and the blasts stop, and then the enemy surrounds the Bentenmaru. Why did the shots stop? Why did the enemy surround the Bentenmaru then, and how did they manage it?

And during this Marika leaves the bridge taking the only other experienced pirate with her? I guess they left Lynn in charge, but does it make sense to have your electronic warfare expert having to do two things at once?

Thankfully the second half made up for the deficiencies of the first with Chiaki finally getting her pirate on.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 12:37   Link #2247
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Chiaki was so awesome when she boarded the ship. Nice help from the crew and Marika's plan to save the day. Lol at the end Marika's seen enough yuri.
Old 2012-05-05, 14:57   Link #2248
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Another excellent episode. Love that Marika knew in two seconds flat who sent Show the inside info. Chiaki was a hoot (I loved the "she's been under a lot of stress" line). The fiance was...about what I expected. (Hell, if Jenny was straight she still would prefer Lynn to that numbnut!) And as for Robert...seriously, from the moment that live broadcast went up, he should have known he was in trouble. If he'd been thinking, he'd have stepped back, used the excuse that this guy was publicly exposed as a total dumbass to cancel the marriage and let Jenny go and not make Marika pull out the heavy artillery. Now he's going to have to lose out on a number of deals and burn a lot of favors and political cred to stay out of jail, which is going to cost him in power and prestige. Ego seldom makes sensible decisions.

...And then there's Ai, looking like something out of Serial Experiments Lain and dodging enemy fire like the pros. After seeing the Yacht Club's performance, I'm surprised that Kane doesn't want to go back to teaching just to get some Class A apprentices!

+1 for Lynn hitting her cue and pledging to stay with Jenny.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 16:18   Link #2249
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That was amusing.

These girls are quite scary as pirates. And/or private investigators.

And Chiaki went off script, but switched on her pirating mode. Slightly over the top pirating mode. Just without the evil laugh part (which would have been awesome). Captain Chiaki will be fearsome when she gets her own ship.

And Jenny's talking about finding a way to become a pirate captain. She might be the scariest of the lot if she ever becomes one.
Old 2012-05-05, 16:21   Link #2250
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Great episode. Plenty of action as the Yacht Club is tested under live fire. Nice to see that Captain Marika learned to use some tricks used in the past to great effect.

Dark Queen Chikaki, you ROCK!

Spoiler for Chiaki under a lot of stress:

Endless "Don't get on a woman's bad side" Soul
Old 2012-05-05, 16:27   Link #2251
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Next week it looks like they will be cleaning up the Bentenmaru from the Yacht Club's activities. Maybe also find out who sent them the infected Cat Monkey's that nearly took the Bentenmaru out of the piracy business.

But Marika still needs to have a talk with Mami about her style options. "Pirates" is your theme, girl.

The cast, especially on the Corperate Flagship seemed familiar. Sounded like the same bunch of voices that was working the Earth Fleet during the Battle at Pluto in the new Space Battleship Yamato 2199.
Old 2012-05-05, 17:41   Link #2252
Kyuu
=^^=

Best line of the episode:

"Chiaki's been under some stress"

Or something along that line.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 18:43   Link #2253
aldw

I just might actually use this in one of my 'A Call to Arms' story scenarios, with a twist of course...
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 18:51   Link #2254
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
In before some ship from the 25th century tumbles through a temporal anomaly at Warp 13:

Spoiler for HUGE:

Spoiler for Ep18:

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-05-05 at 20:09.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 18:59   Link #2255
Random Wanderer

Why was Jenny back in her wedding outfit? They acted like she never got out of it, but she was in club uniform when they started the jump that ended at the beginning of this episode. She just doesn't look as good with all that makeup on. It's not natural.

"Chiaki-sama's been under a lot of stress."

Man, that fiance guy was pathetic.

Robert Dolittle should be ashamed of himself, leaving not only a data trail but actual communication logs of him performing illegal activities? Clearly the idiot thought he was untouchable. I actually suggested last time that the kids could use a large-scale news broadcast to discredit him, but I figured they'd just use the current evidence of him obviously trying to kill Jenny, rather than digging up additional dirt.

Quote:
And Jenny's talking about finding a way to become a pirate captain. She might be the scariest of the lot if she ever becomes one.
Heh. The kids are working up to make a respectable little pirate fleet, and the galaxy should be trembling in fear. If a single pirate ship with a single crew (plus contacts) can have this much impact, what's going to happen when there's three of them working together? Show said those girls would be scary in ten years. Those girls are scary now Show, in ten years they may be ruling the galaxy.

...So, wait, Marika handed over a top of the line prototype military scout-fighter to a high school yacht club? Man, she's going to be giving some poor government officials panic attacks.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 19:00   Link #2256
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Dark Queen Chikaki, you ROCK!

Spoiler for Chiaki under a lot of stress:

Endless "Don't get on a woman's bad side" Soul
Be converted as a follower of dark Chiaki she become trigger happy on that scene.

Another nice episode. I really love this series.
Old 2012-05-05, 19:15   Link #2257
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
...So, wait, Marika handed over a top of the line prototype military scout-fighter to a high school yacht club? Man, she's going to be giving some poor government officials panic attacks.
I think it was more along the lines of she's keeping it in the Yacht Club hangar at the relay station, and letting the club use it on occasions. It probably took up too much room on Marika's personally owned FTL battlecruiser, and Misa complaining about it was louder than the sound of 5 trillion a year rolling into the coffers, so she had to do something with it.

It is a good thing Marika is equal parts nice, naive and cunning, otherwise the school ground would be littered with craters as she takes out people she doesn't like with an orbital bombardment.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 19:23   Link #2258
Kyuu
=^^=

Spoiler:

We know plenty of this goes on.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-05-05 at 20:11. Reason: "proper" codes :p
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 19:28   Link #2259
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
I think it was more along the lines of she's keeping it in the Yacht Club hangar at the relay station, and letting the club use it on occasions.
But still, she's letting civilians, children handle a top-of-the-line military craft whose access has previously been limited to high-level corporations and stellar militaries. Most military types would probably freak out a bit at that.

Quote:
so she had to do something with it.
The thing's worth more than the Bentenmaru. Sell it back to the military with a markup, and get their own ship fully refitted, including reactors that aren't unstable and engines that can be started up properly.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 19:38   Link #2260
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
She obviously is not telling the adults the whole story. It's just a "personal, jump capable yacht" that will expand the type of ships the club can work with. No need to mention messy details about it being military in origin.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?

Last edited by Sackett; 2012-05-05 at 23:29.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri