AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-09-17, 05:50   Link #161
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

So EU beta is finally up and going (just FYI for anyone who's been living under a rock ).

Uh, first off I don't really understand why everyone keeps comparing it to DN or vise versa; but that's just as far as I want to go into that nonsense.

Anyway, been playing Fiona. Kinda of unsure how some things like heavy stander and block work, since they're both binded to the same exact key. But no matter, I'm just killing everything with the kick or shield bash anyway (ie. stun lock ftw) and that jump/drop aoe thing.

I didn't really notice it in the videos, until I played it, but it's really just five skills split over your mouse clicks (Left/Right, LeftLeft/RightRight, LeftLeftLeft/RightRightRight etc). In a way I think it's innovative, but to be honest after 2h into it, I started to feel it was dull. Several reasons for that, first off the way the attacks work, the swings you do aren't really tied into your mouse clicks, so if you do three mouse clicks you actually do four swings, which is kind of immersion breaking of the whole idea that "you do the swing". Secondly I find myself really only using one move; and sadly can't really see the light when it comes to using others, don't get me wrong I try to, but the game is making me feel like I'm wrong in doing so. And from what I read, after a while thinking to myself "I must be doing it wrong", aparently that actually seems to be "the good way to play" <.< "kick FTW" and all that nonsense, since it has best stun and whatnot.

An additional nitpick with this is the whole thing that I need to all these extra moves to do that move I really give a damn about (the stun kick), which at first I thought was cool "oh you can't just spam it" but then I realized that practically the best execution of it was "swing your sword at thin air like a retard so you hit with the kick from a safe distance", which is IMO pretty god damn lame.

Anyway I'll leave it at that for now, since I'm still going though it, will probably have to try out Lann and see if he plays less retarded or maybe get counter (still pumping that block) so that blocking actually makes sense (that should make things more interesting); really what's the point of block when you can safely dodge all attacks.

Regarding everything else. I love it. Love the progression, the story, how you can't just find armor or buy it, you have to earn it or make it from junk (everything being practically a set is a big plus too). Story is pretty awesome. Dialog is a little rough here and there but all is good; dunno what I would say about quality but it's all to my licking so I don't care. Aesthetics are great, graphics are perfect. Practically everything is very well polished and interesting except for the combat. What really worries me is the PvP in this game (with the combat working as it does); I haven't really heard that much about it, and I'm starting to piece together why.

ps. that XE whatever nonsense has to be the most annoying/stupid skill ever; is there anyway to unbind it, or bind it to something else?

[edit] Oh right the party system...

I joined a few random ones just for the usual, you know company (it's beta, dunno even if there are guilds in this yet). Personally favor guild parties in games, but this is fine once in a while. Anyway, it's all so damn random and aimless, I don't even know what's the point. I mean all I see is everyone just spamming Left at everything, particularly the boss (or maybe that's just Lann only having one attack animation or something?). I'm guessing it's some flaw in the game with how comboes add up in the score that it makes sense to just spam your normal attack constantly but whatever.

Point is after a few, in particular one where I got bugged and was just teleporting around, I kind of figure parties aren't for me in this game. At least until I can do a party where you actually have to do certain stuff and watchful of certain things, or not you and everyone else will die!

I think a lot of recent games of this type (and titles coming out as well) are just going to fall on their ass when the notion sinks in that killing the unholy trinity is not the solution, but making something else similar to it, or that functions kind of like it, albeit still different, ie. making it more dynamic or fun or what have you. This whole idea that you're a party, but even just one of you doing everything is enough to complete the dungeon just defeats the whole notion of being a party... you are suppose to wipe very very easily when just one person in the party dies. I mean it's not even rewarding, I got worse score, and practically no loot when I'm in a party, and worse yet most parties seem to be on normal difficulty... why?

Last edited by felix; 2011-09-17 at 06:14.
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-17, 13:42   Link #162
Xion Valkyrie

Vindictus EU is using the XE version right? Really hard to compare to the normal version, since it mostly plays like a different game.

Also, parties are really only useful later on, when the bosses get fairly hard. A lot of the later bosses have mechanics that promote party play, which is pretty fun.

However, pretty much ALL bosses have been soloed by the most skilled Koreans, so in this game, skill is absolute.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-17, 16:20   Link #163
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Vindictus EU is using the XE version right? Really hard to compare to the normal version, since it mostly plays like a different game.
Can you explain the difference?

[edit] googled it (somewhat)

Yes it appears to be XE version. Since I can jump and stuff + all the gravity defying moves. Actually I dunno, some of the stuff I see in videos that I've looked into have certain things faster and certain things slower. My attacks are slower then the video, and some of the boss moves seem faster then the video. Maybe it's just a difference in perception vs. watching it in a video. Yeah perception is probably what it is...

I keep reading a lot of contradictory comments on it though. For example the jumping stuff. I'm able to do a lot convenient stuff with it like jump over traps, jump up and cut the chains on swinging traps and do a smash attack while jumping, but that's about it. The smash is useful, but the damage on it is pretty horrible by comparison to say doing a normal combo. It doesn't chain with anything and because of the whole movement and positioning you have to perform even though it does double normal attack damage (lets say 200), you could do 900 with normal kick combo.

How exactly do you get past those swinging traps with out jump/cutting? Doesn't look like you can actually time it, but never really tried. I suppose you could avoid them altogether.

Regarding that flashy XE skill. Mine doesn't kill anything when I cast it, just pushes things back (somewhat), and it costs 20% hp to use and is on Left + Right combination (so really easy to mess up). I saw the videos, I think those are all really really high level GMs or something, since even in lowbie dungeons while hunting for mats at lv20 that thing still doesn't kill much of anything as I recall, where as my normal attack one-shots most things.

From what I read there is a damage difference or something. Meaning XE mobs are slower but hit much harder, or something. Kind of impossible for me to tell. Content later in the game also sounds like it is supposedly harder in XE.

I'm not sure if I should be happy honestly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
However, pretty much ALL bosses have been soloed by the most skilled Koreans, so in this game, skill is absolute.
Swheat!

That includes raid bosses, yes?

Last edited by felix; 2011-09-17 at 17:47.
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-17, 18:24   Link #164
Xion Valkyrie

They've changed a lot of moves around too. Spear Lann plays completely differently in XE than he does in normal.

Regarding difficulty, I do hear that XE starts out extremely easy but does get much harder later on.

And yeah, even raid bosses can be soloed. In fact, back when updates were slow most of the good players tried to beat each other's times in the raid boss for the update. I think all the raid bosses up to episode 9 have been soloed, although some of the later ones are very difficult to solo. You need both great gear and great skill to be able to do them.
Old 2011-09-20, 15:20   Link #165
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

After a while the combat grew on me. I think I'm really going to enjoy this game; well once it hits OBT.

Also this was posted on the forums. Got a good laugh out of it.

Old 2011-10-27, 04:39   Link #166
Xion Valkyrie

Oh, a week late, but episode 9 was released. Colru is by far the hardest boss in the game. I think this is the first boss where you can't just have 1-2 people carry the entire team, so lots and lots of fail runs in PUGs.

Overall pretty fun though.

Oh yeah, and Karok's new weapon:

Barret much?

Tags
action, mmorpg