AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-09-19, 01:02   Link #61
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerskian View Post
Tasogare Otome X Amnesia

Finally ! Thanks Horrible-Subs for not using the newest codecs !! Tried several versions until i finally gave this one a chance.

3 Episodes already . Looks like a "relatively" conventiional ( it's hard to use this two word referring to japanese anime at times... ) mix of school-life/ghost-story anime flavored with some ecchi/love triangle-harem stereotypes plus some typical comedy-gags from those genres.

Nothing great plot-wise nor the comedy-gags either..... but it's clear they had a decent budget to do this series since the animation is quite smooth, and the art direction shines often, making it more enjoyable than your average anime... although his aim is just being a "fast-food-watch" ...
I do agree with you there. One thing: the harem/ecchi elements are not the best thing about this show, and it gets worse. Near the middle I was close to thinking, "meh!" But they're actually setting up the story, and when the plot makes a comeback, it really makes a come back. Even the triangle makes sense. The ending is no surprise, but brilliantly executed (with a minor exception that I found easy to ignore). There was even a twist on the way which I didn't expect (something I've never seen in a ghost story before).

But most of all I love what they did with light and shadow, scenic shots and music. I found the show very atmospheric.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 12:51   Link #62
Maerskian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post

I'm not that knowledgable in Japanese history, but I always thought of the robotic sword as a reference to the automata that were popular during that time. I've never heard of sword fighting automata, obviously, but I wouldn't put it beyond some rich guy to use automata instead of straw puppets to train. (Here's a link that vaguely describes an archery automaton that apparantly could react to a hit or miss.)
Now you mention it, i remember reading somewhere that Japanese had some advanced robotic techonlogy .... very advanced/complicated ... for that time that is .... There was some models aside the archer doll, mostly toys... but still, worth all praise considering the time they were made.

Quote:
I'm sure there's a lot I'm missing in there, too. I don't think going too deep there is a good idea, though. It's really a sentimantal but fun romp through history, I think. Lots of "poetic license".
Yes and no.... we could learn/realize some more interesting facts... on the other hand... it could expose more flaws of this show

Quote:
I'm curious what you'll think of Kurenai. It's one of my favourites, especially due to the outstanding voice actors: Sawashiro Miyuki and Yuuki Aoi really brought the main characters' relationship to life. Most of the side characters are interesting, too.
Right now, just watched the first episode .... not enough to judge yet.... although it isn't that long ...
Maerskian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 13:00   Link #63
Maerskian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
You don't say whether you are in North America. If you are, you can watch Usagi Drop on Crunchyroll. If not, there are certainly torrents out there.
Not fond of watching anything on the computer... that's why i have my standalone player + 50" inch screen for ... need to get away from computers & relax to enjoy 'em. But that's good to know about that version, that will surely play with no problems, thanks for that

Quote:
What do you mean by "player-friendly?" If you're looking for shows encoded in something like XviD, you'll be pretty much out of luck. Nearly every show released in the past few years uses the H.264 codec in the Matroska container. I recommend SMPlayer. No Mac OSX version though. For that platform, check this thread.
My standalone player is the "famous" Popcorn A-200, that some years ago supposedly played mostly every file . I can even play blu-rays isos, Blu-ray remuxes on matroska containers, and of course .... i could play most animes; problems is, anime fansubs are always ahead of everyone else ( live action tv series, live action movies.... ) ... so nowadays, i can't play 10bit encodings, and even some rips using some particular codecs i still need to identify yet ... but still can play many HD-rip matroska files... for example: out of all the Kurenai versions, the one by [BSS] works fine on my player
Old 2012-09-25, 13:06   Link #64
Maerskian

Quote:
I do agree with you there. One thing: the harem/ecchi elements are not the best thing about this show, and it gets worse. Near the middle I was close to thinking, "meh!" But they're actually setting up the story, and when the plot makes a comeback, it really makes a come back. Even the triangle makes sense. The ending is no surprise, but brilliantly executed (with a minor exception that I found easy to ignore). There was even a twist on the way which I didn't expect (something I've never seen in a ghost story before).
... afraid to say i'm exactly at the same point right now: just in the middle of this show, and about to give up ... think i'll just go on because we agreed on many points until now ... wondering about that oncoming twist ...

Quote:
But most of all I love what they did with light and shadow, scenic shots and music. I found the show very atmospheric.
That's precisely what i mean earlier: the Art direction basically is what actually helps swallow this show. Were it made the usual way ( plain & generic drawings + crappy/south korean cheap studio style animation + typical party/electronic/comedy music ) ... this wouldn't last more than 5 minutes
Old 2012-09-25, 13:28   Link #65
Maerskian

And now for the weekly update... although didn't watch too much lately... or there's not much to say ...

Ongoing
Astro fighter sunred ... about to finish ... it's mostly the same from the beginning to the end, an ok watch if you're into parody, not outstanding but entertaining...

DT Eightron : Still stalled
Infinite Ryvius : just 4 episodes for now... nothing good to say yet, but will give it some time to develop since i read so many reviews talking about something greater behind... although my hopes are quite low
OZMA : still stalled
Hakugei - Legend of the Moby Dick : 5 episodes for the time being.... noting great to say yet, but still think it needs some more time to develop the plot.
Tasogare Otome X Amnesia : as described on an earlier message
- Mouryou no Hako : Just one episode for now; it started with a very interesting scene, nice drawings, some nice animations here & there... although then developed into something different, not as promising.... anyways, seems like it could be interesting

- Tsuritama : 2 Episodes so far. At this moment is more on the wrong side: It started with some interesting animation gag.... but they're using it again & again, making it look like they lack more resources than that, and making the viewer think on copy-paste animation... definitely not a good thing.

The co-starring uchuujin character is way too forced in everything he says... they way he acts even, there's no connection between one action & the next: he just appears, says "i'm an alien - you're my friend" and that's it .... his comedic gags are way too soft, and even when he's using his water-gun look like copy-paste again ( although this time with a really generic front look-cheap animation ) .

The Uchuujin's sister adds the once again unnecessary sexy touch in a show that didn't really start being fun ... and this compromise the air time ( once they put a character like that on scene, it's guaranteed she'll take several close shots from time to time ... a way, like any other, to fill air time ) .

Another character forced his way into the show... and this is looking worse.

Will try to see this one to the end out of the respect i owe to Mononoke's creator... and the fact that Kuchuu Branko ( with its many flaws ) was (although decreasingly) entertaining

- Real Drive : 2 episodes ... and now i understand why i dropped this one years ago.... this looks even stupid at times.... still can't figure it out how people compare this show to GITS or even Lain & the likes ... but still, seems like i'll need to be strong and go past episode 7 to find out .... or not.... not an easy task considering what i've seen so far ...

- Kurenai: Ditto
Old 2012-09-25, 18:49   Link #66
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Despite the opening episode, Mouryou no Hako is definitely not a "class-S" show about teen-aged girls obsessed with each other. The scene on the train is much closer to the overall sensibility of this show.

I found Real Drive extremely variable. The episode with "Eliza" is an intriguing tribute to both Stanley Kubrick and Joseph Weizenbaum. Many other episodes left me unmoved.

As for Kurenai, if you expected it to be an action show, it's not. It's much more a character drama with slice-of-life features. The story about Murasaki and her family returns in the closing few episodes, but in the middle, it's much more about her introduction to life outside the Sanctum. If you don't find episode six entertaining, you're probably not the right audience for Kurenai.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 22:28   Link #67
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Here is a suggestion for you:

Space Battleship Yamato 2199

It's a remake of the original series from the 1970s. Still has the great plot, with higher quality animation.

Also... I recommend against Kodomo no Jikan. The author is clearly anti-pedophilia, despite an insane misaimed fandom. Still, shows about child abuse never feel very good to watch.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 16:01   Link #68
Maerskian

Quote:
Despite the opening episode, Mouryou no Hako is definitely not a "class-S" show about teen-aged girls obsessed with each other. The scene on the train is much closer to the overall sensibility of this show.
Just saw one more episode and... absolutely, it looks that way. To be honest, the initial scene on the train caused a great impression; not that i'm a fan of horror/supernatural shows, in fact ... even if i think that's a genre with enormous potential... anime tends to go too much on topic instead of exploring new ways on it.... anyways, what i really like about Mouryou No Hako is the combination of drawings ( better than average animes ) and specially some scenes & sequences ( like the one on the train, that was well executed ).

For a brief moment, my hopes skyrocketed with the aforementioned initial scene... i was even expecting some surreal depravation dream-like scene ( Shintaro Kago came to mind on that very moment ) ... but guess that's too much for expectation ... anyways, the show looks good, and it's the most interesting out of the lot i have on my ongoing animes.

Quote:
I found Real Drive extremely variable. The episode with "Eliza" is an intriguing tribute to both Stanley Kubrick and Joseph Weizenbaum. Many other episodes left me unmoved.
hmmm.... so far, just swallowed the trashy parts... think i'll just give this show more time to check by myself if there's really anything worth mentioning ....

Quote:
As for Kurenai, if you expected it to be an action show, it's not. It's much more a character drama with slice-of-life features. The story about Murasaki and her family returns in the closing few episodes, but in the middle, it's much more about her introduction to life outside the Sanctum.
To be honest, i had no specific spectations on this one... just wanted to try it since, in the en, most of the shows Dawnstorm pointed as the most interesting titles.... turned out to be exactly the better.... so had to go for it didn't even stop too much checking the plot or anything.

Quote:
If you don't find episode six entertaining, you're probably not the right audience for Kurenai.
Still not sure what awaits me at ep. 6 but... this could be a controversial twist at this point of my life:

Years ago, i enjoyed shows like Aishiteruze Baby and the likes, or even found entertaining shows like Paradise Kiss or Nana ( to my own surprise ) , Air , Kanon, Ef , Mahou Tsukai Ni Taisetsu Na Koto , Saikano .... ( I was about to add Sugar , Da Da Daa ... or similar animes, but they have a different approach IMHO since they introduce a different set of characters/situations ... same for Honey & Clover + Nodame Cantabile ) .... but i find myself changed right now... and still not too sure if i'd welcome this kind of shows nowadays; this is a question in the air i still need to answer to myself; i still hold dear all those names i listed but.... will i be able to embrace new shows like those ones ? That's what i wonder, and seems like Kurenai will be my first trial
Old 2012-09-28, 16:07   Link #69
Maerskian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Here is a suggestion for you:

Space Battleship Yamato 2199

It's a remake of the original series from the 1970s. Still has the great plot, with higher quality animation.
Nice one ! Another one i skipped .

At this point, i must say that still have an enormous debt: watch all Leiji Matsumoto related series.

Watched some Harlock arcs and loved 'em, but still have the most older shows pending... with some dark clouds over 'em as i'm wondering if i'll be able to stand still watching 'em.... i'm aware they didn't age too well.

Still have all the yamato related shows pending.... so this will be one more to my list. Thanks

Quote:
Also... I recommend against Kodomo no Jikan. The author is clearly anti-pedophilia, despite an insane misaimed fandom. Still, shows about child abuse never feel very good to watch.
Think i passed on this one some time ago... didn't even try... but will add it to my list riht now, thanks for this one as well
Old 2012-09-28, 20:56   Link #70
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:

Think i passed on this one some time ago... didn't even try... but will add it to my list riht now, thanks for this one as well
Yeah... the author (a woman) is pretty clearly against sexual child abuse... but it's sort of the same way Lolita is anti-pedophilia... only with pictures. I quit reading after a few chapters, and I heard the anime is even worse.

If you got the stomach for it, but be aware that the fans of this show are about 50% outright Lolicons- and not the funny kind.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 01:14   Link #71
Dawnstorm

Quote:
If you don't find episode six entertaining, you're probably not the right audience for Kurenai.
Interesting statement. Episode 6 (had to look it up, but my guess was right) certainly stands out, but while I love Kurenai, I'm ambiguous about that episode. The elements that make Kurenai good are there in the same quality, but...
Old 2012-09-29, 05:15   Link #72
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I like the way they interweave the actual story into the performance piece, in particular the interactions between Murasaki and Yuuno. They harken back to episode three where Murasaki visits Shinkarou's school and encounters that "vile woman." All the characters' personalities are fully on-display in this episode as well. I think it is one of the most innovative and best-written filler episodes I have ever watched.

Not to mention that the cast can all really sing, in particular Ookubo Aiko who plays Yayoi.
Old 2012-09-30, 16:38   Link #73
Dawnstorm

I don't disagree with anything you say, here, but it felt sort of out-of-place to me. I normally like mood-breakers like this, but for some reason this one didn't quite fit. It's annoying in the way a dangling thread is annoying; I can't put my finger on exactly what's bothering me.
Old 2012-10-13, 08:13   Link #74
Maerskian

Sorry for the long hiatus ..

I'm having some trouble following some series ... one part of me want to go ahead and finish 'em ... but it's a clear case of facts vs. fiction, facts being that "Tasogare Otome X Amnesia" , "Infinite Ryvius" , "Hakugei" , "Real Drive" , "Tsuritama" ... or "DT Eightron" & "Ozma" ( barely seen a couple eps " ) are stalled ... and can't find a good reason to resume any of 'em yet as all 0f 'em lack virtues or just pretend to mix too many things on the show that ruin the experience IMHO .

On the other hand, comedy shows like "Astro fighter sunred" & "Kill me baby" are the ones that keep me going on along with "Mouryou no hako" that keeps getting more & more interesting as i go further; "Kurenai" also seems to improve as they focus on the relationship between the two main characters, although still need to reach the famous ep 6 .

About Kurenai: I really hope they focus on this relationship with Murasaki as the other elements of the show are quite uninteresting ( there's a love triangle floating on the air already ... eek! ) . Now i realize... one thing i can't stand in mostly any show is the excessive mix of sub-genres; for example, shows like The Simpsons or South Park are mostly known for it's comedy gags, but when you sit in front of any of 'em, you find yourself losing time with too much dialogue or even lame-plots... or even very slight drama touchs that makes no sense on these type of shows, that's basically why i can't stand a whole episoe of 'em, just a 5 minutes "best of" of the aforementioned shows would be enough for what they're worth.

More or less... the same thing happens with many anime shows; "Real Drive" introduce a stereotypical hentai/Ecchi looking simple-minded character in mini-skirt on a show with a "supposedly" high sci-fi context ...

At this point, i dont' know if got rusty after all this time.... but the mix of opposite sub-genres on the same show makes it hard to follow ... even attitudes like one i remember from "Infinite Ryvius" : there's a scene that should imply great tension as two male characters are evacuating a spaceship that's sinking on some kind of gravity field ; at some point, the only thing one of these characters can talk about ( with a happy face ) is if he should date a girl he spotted during the evacuation process ; to me this look like the typical copy-paste lines i've already seen on dozens of anime series based on school environments ... but here, it feels absolutely out of place. This is just one example, but i'd say it's more & more usual lately in more recent animes ...... for me, opposite sub-genres on the same show is a dangerous unstable combination. It's not like japanese never succeded with this formula, in fact they opened new points of view.... but unfortunately, that's the tiny portion, as most of 'em are hard to stomach artifacts.

"Kill me baby" is exactly as ( Think it was Dawnstorm once again? ) described: maybe not the greatest show in its genre, but i just started with it a few days ago ...... and next thing i know... i'm at ep. 9 already ... so at least it's quite entertaining ... more or less, the same thing applies to "Astro fighter sunred" ; not an otherworldly show, plus you must have a thing for J-comedy/parody ... but it's an easy watch.

Anyways, need to keep getting hold of some of the other shows recommended on this thread as i foresee a void in no time as i only have 4 shows right now with few eps. left to finish

Cheers

Last edited by Maerskian; 2012-10-13 at 08:37.
Old 2012-10-14, 20:48   Link #75
Dawnstorm

Quote:
About Kurenai: I really hope they focus on this relationship with Murasaki as the other elements of the show are quite uninteresting ( there's a love triangle floating on the air already ... eek! ) .
The relationship between between Shinkuro and Murasaki is definitely the focus (though it does branch out a bit). I can't remember a love triangle. In fact, I can't even remember a romance (except as sidlenes of the supporting staff, adding to characterisation). But it's been a while, and I might be selectively forgetting.

Quote:
"Kill me baby"
Quote:
is exactly as ( Think it was Dawnstorm once again? ) described: maybe not the greatest show in its genre, but i just started with it a few days ago ...... and next thing i know... i'm at ep. 9 already
Heh.

Quote:
Anyways, need to keep getting hold of some of the other shows recommended on this thread as i foresee a void in no time as i only have 4 shows right now with few eps. left to finish

Cheers
Maybe grab a hold of last seasons Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita. Postapocalyptic comedy with faeries (yousei). Impossible to tell whether you'll like it; there's nothing quite like it out there.
Old 2012-10-15, 11:53   Link #76
Nico87

Gungrave. You need to watch Gungrave.
Nico87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 18:23   Link #77
jesh462

Gungrave is amazing. Also use Media Player Classic : Home Cinema.
Open source, free, stable as a rock.
There is no reason to use anything else. I've never had a problem playing anything with it, 10 bit files, any type of sub, it will even read separate sub files with a simple right click and going into the sub option.
MPC:HC also supports all the cool stuff like Mad VR and chroma upsampling if you're into using your PC as a home theatre.
10 bit does require some out of your graphics card, so if you have an old ass computer you may just be out of luck.

P.S.
You never updated us with your thoughts on Usagi Drop.
jesh462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 10:12   Link #78
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
The relationship between between Shinkuro and Murasaki is definitely the focus (though it does branch out a bit). I can't remember a love triangle. In fact, I can't even remember a romance (except as sidlenes of the supporting staff, adding to characterisation). But it's been a while, and I might be selectively forgetting.
No, you're right, though Tamaki breaks up with her boyfriend at college around episode seven. That is another of the "Tamaki teaches Murasaki about the ways of men" stories which provide some of the best comedic material in Kurenai. The scenes where they watch soap operas together are also often hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerskian
"Real Drive" introduce a stereotypical hentai/Ecchi looking simple-minded character in mini-skirt on a show with a "supposedly" high sci-fi context ...
That was one of the aspects of that show that I did not appreciate either. While Minamo grew on me a bit, I never really liked her and wished there had been an adult protagonist instead. Not too many episodes reached the level of nine and ten.

Somehow Chihayafuru never surfaced in this thread. It's another game-based show like Hikaru no Go and like Hikaru kept my attention throughout. I had stopped watching Chihayafuru after episode one when it was first released because it seemed too "girly" for me. (I watch lots of shows with female protagonists but generally not ones that target adolescent girls.) After many friends here recommended I give it another try, I quickly put aside my stylistic issues and thoroughly enjoyed the show. I watched all 25 episodes in a couple of sittings and am looking forward to the sequel early next year.

It looks like Ikoku Meiro no Croisee fell through the cracks. It is a slice-of-life comedy set in late 19th century Paris. A Japanese girl of sixteen travels to France to work as a shop girl for an ironmonger. It has some lovely artwork by Satelight's team of French illustrators, and the main character, Yune, is a strong contender for cutest anime girl of 2011 despite having Usagi Drop's Rin as a competitor for that title.

Speaking of Satelight and its crew of French animators, I'll unabashedly suggest another of their shows, AKB0048, which despite its focus on idol singers is a fun watch. Since you've seen Oh! Edo Rocket, you'll recognize the premise, a ban on entertainment like the Tenpou Reforms. In AKB0048 the far-future successors to today's AKB48 idol group stage guerrilla concerts to challenge the government oppressors. Here's one such concert shown early in episode one. The four girls watching the concert become the main protagonists after a four-year time skip.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-10-20 at 11:27.
Old 2012-10-20, 14:22   Link #79
Maerskian

Quote:
The relationship between between Shinkuro and Murasaki is definitely the focus (though it does branch out a bit).
Glad to know ; i still need to watch more eps as i'm stalled right now ( lack of spare time lately ) but this definitely encourages me, thanks ;-)

Quote:
I can't remember a love triangle. In fact, I can't even remember a romance (except as sidlenes of the supporting staff, adding to characterisation). But it's been a while, and I might be selectively forgetting.
Well, i should 've pointed out that is just the slightest archetype... just two female classmates doing a couple of "stereotypical/copy-paste love triangle oriented" random scenes here & there... it's just that i'm too picky with copy-paste scenes like these since 've watched the same thing like a zillion times LOL !

Quote:
Heh.
Yep, however i look at it... you nailed it. It's a strange feeling.... i'm perfectly aware that this is far from being the best comedy show... but on the other hand, whenever i have a moment, and just can treat myself to 1/2 episodes max. .... i end up going for either "Kill me baby" or "Astro Fighter Sunred" ( almost finishing the 2nd season btw )

THIS !
Quote:
Maybe grab a hold of last seasons Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita. Postapocalyptic comedy with faeries (yousei). Impossible to tell whether you'll like it; there's nothing quite like it out there.
Just checked the name at AniDB and read some comments ... and already thought to myself that i HAD TO check it ASAP.... then i saw horrible-subs did it so grabbed the whole show already .

Thanks once again !! Not sure how you do it, but whether i like it or not at the end of the show, this is another title i would definitely love to check.... and already started with my hopes skyrocketing fueled by anidb comments pointing towards a kinda slice-of-life show with many black humour/criticism touchs here & there plus some weird atmosphere; definitely my kind ... "Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei" crossed my mind at this point, although wasn't expecting something as .... wild .

Episode one started .... way too genle considering what i had on mind ( i know, i know... ), even cheesy at times, i even disliked the main seiyuu's voice/delivery in the beginning ... also was initially disappointed with the fairies as i was expecting something else..... but, as the episode reached its half, it improved quite a lot, and even took a liking to the seiyuu's voice at some point... and even helped me look at fairies from a different perspective. The end of the first ep left me screaming ( not literally ) for more . Basically, the best elements are shown on the 2nd half ... although not sure if i should expect this type of social criticism analogies mixed with comedy often or if i'm raising my hopes too high & too soon once again....

Next episode was ok, although lacked the slight climax from the first ep, more like a transitional episode to conclude what was already shown earlier.

Not sure what to expect from now on, but can't deny i'm pretty pumped about it... as this is probably one of the few animes i still don't know how good/bad can be after 2 whole eps.... and that's quite rare, specially nowadays .
Old 2012-10-20, 14:25   Link #80
Maerskian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico87 View Post
Gungrave. You need to watch Gungrave.
Already did , although years ago when it was aired . Wouldn't mind to watch it again anyways, in fact, there's a number of shows i'd love to give a second run.

I loved it back then, even if i disliked those .... orcs ( ? ) .