Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-11-30, 21:58   Link #541
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
Hmm...I'd say she's more "moe" to me (as well as cute), as I've stated in the "cutest anime girls" thread. So the question is this: do you think she's more "cute" or "moe" or both? I think I've read a moe vs cute thread somewhere...
I see her (Luna/Hazuki) as "totemo kawaii desu" (very cute) then moe. I belive the otaku terms loli, moe, kawaii are the same. They are all expressions of admiration and adoration of someone or something. I wonder what other new term these hardcore Otaku's will come up with next.
Old 2004-11-30, 22:14   Link #542
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

hmm... I think there's a difference between kawaii (cute) and moe, kawaii is just adorable, while moe is... well, moe is literally used to describe [seeds] sprouting, so it's more like... err... to make you feel something "sprout" inside you... maybe something like a electrical shock, a doki doki feel, a little seedling sprouting out, bursting out of the shell... something like that... emotionally more impactful than kawaii... umm... I hope it makes sense...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-30, 22:28   Link #543
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
hmm... I think there's a difference between kawaii (cute) and moe, kawaii is just adorable, while moe is... well, moe is literally used to describe [seeds] sprouting, so it's more like... err... to make you feel something "sprout" inside you... maybe something like a electrical shock, a doki doki feel, a little seedling sprouting out, bursting out of the shell... something like that... emotionally more impactful than kawaii... umm... I hope it makes sense...
Bursting out of the shell, sprouting out hm...I wouldn't know since I'm not a plant . All jokes aside, "moe" means be attracted to a specific character or its specific partial element and to have a favor feeling toward it. "Moe" suggests the condition of being infatuated with one character or thing and implies an image of someone burning with desire.
Old 2004-12-01, 02:07   Link #544
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Honestly I didn't really understand the moe thing for the longest time. I'd read kj1980's posts on the subject and shake my head not undestanding how this was supposed to be different from kawaii other than kawaii being yesterday's hip word while moe is today's new term. Moe is the new kawaii?

After watching Tsukuyomi I finally get moe. Hazuki is the very definition of the word moe. Watching her, I understand the word's meaning. It is not about "burning with desire."

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-01, 02:15   Link #545
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Honestly I didn't really understand the moe thing for the longest time. I'd read kj1980's posts on the subject and shake my head not undestanding how this was supposed to be different from kawaii other than kawaii being yesterday's hip word while moe is today's new term. Moe is the new kawaii?

After watching Tsukuyomi I finally get moe. Hazuki is the very definition of the word moe. Watching her, I understand the word's meaning. It is not about "burning with desire."
Oh...looks like you had some kind of revelation. You said Hazuki is the very definition of it, please explain.
Old 2004-12-01, 02:31   Link #546
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

For Hazuki I feel this need to nurture and protect, as if she had found a snug nest in my heart where she curled up spreading warmth.

I know that sounds vague, but it was vague when kj1980 or Flash Squirrel explained it to me also. I guess it's a very weird concept.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-12-01, 03:35   Link #547
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
For Hazuki I feel this need to nurture and protect, as if she had found a snug nest in my heart where she curled up spreading warmth.

I know that sounds vague, but it was vague when kj1980 or Flash Squirrel explained it to me also. I guess it's a very weird concept.
Now that you know, it's very hard to explain "moe" in English, isn't it?
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-01, 06:09   Link #548
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

OMG! I guess I really do get it if you think that my vague and bizarre explanation made some sort of sense!

As far as explaining it in English... It's like a zen koan. I simply don't have the words so I need to explain it in riddles and poetry.

Old 2004-12-01, 08:19   Link #549
LytHka
Banned

Hazuki isn't really that 'moe' and not that cute either. At least it doesn't make my heart go 'kyun kyun~' or something. The first thing I noticed was her FAT face. It's even too fat at times when she wants to be cute and embaressed. The perfect example of that would be Taliesin's avatar. I think if any african family chopped off her cheeks they would have meat for a week.
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-01, 08:29   Link #550
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Now that you know, it's very hard to explain "moe" in English, isn't it?
I always felt it was more like the もえ in "燃える",
and that "萌" just a ごまかす codeword kanji.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-01, 08:48   Link #551
dreamless

I think 燃 is burning, more related to hot-blood, while 萌 is sprouting, more related to otakus (the stereotypical otaku image being a fat guy wearing a t-shirt with 萌 on it ) both read もえ, so we have Mai-HiME being "moe moe", both 燃 and 萌
Old 2004-12-01, 13:38   Link #552
dreamless

watched episode 9, wow this whole episode reeks of Shinbou-style, which I absolutely love! the art-style is so surreal and has a expressionism feel to it, great dark atmosphere and great actions.
Spoiler:
Old 2004-12-01, 14:49   Link #553
Bullsquat
Strange Love

Hrmph, and I thought for the longest time that moe is the name of a studio. You know, cosprayers, smash hit!, love love?.

Since the perception is that they're a little into pedophilia, references to lolita looking characters points to them.
Bullsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 07:20   Link #554
LK_LoA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsquat
Hrmph, and I thought for the longest time that moe is the name of a studio. You know, cosprayers, smash hit!, love love?.
That's m.o.e. ~ master of entertainment for your "goshujin-sama" fantasies. XD

In attempting to explain moe, I always thought it meant "cute in a childish way". So someone like Belldandy is not moe but Urd and SKuld are. Correct?
LK_LoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 08:57   Link #555
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK_LoA

In attempting to explain moe, I always thought it meant "cute in a childish way". So someone like Belldandy is not moe but Urd and SKuld are. Correct?
Urd!? I wouldn't say so. She has a more mature personality and appearance than Belldandy. I'm assuming your definition of 'moe' is correct, which I have no clue about.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 21:02   Link #556
Lost Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK_LoA

lmao Urd isnt 'moe'. She's the elder of the 3 sisters. and is the more powerful. Skuld im not so sure about, she's cute, but she isnt 'moe'.

To me 'moe' is super cute in a child like way, full of innocence and purity (on the surface at least) Baby Warkure (or however its spelt) in UFO Princes is definatly 'moe' but baby Hydra (her sister) isn't.

Hazuki is 'moe' cause of her innocence and the way she acts(even though she aint innocent :P)

Another 'moe' character would be Mina from Happy Lesson.

Just out of curiosity has anyone else seen the Ah My Goddess OVA's? I watched them the other day and i swear Belldandy's voice actress sounds exactly like the one who did Mariel in Hanaukyo Maids.
Lost Souls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 21:27   Link #557
AzureSky

any information about how many episodes will this series be aired?
26 or maybe 52? considering the manga is pretty far ahead of the anime i think.

Belldandy's seiyuu = Inoue Kikuko
Mariel's seiyuu = Tanaka Rie
AzureSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 22:46   Link #558
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

For moe, “cute in a childish way” sounds right to me. As far as I can read it, one major Japanese site says moe (pron. mo-ay) refers to feelings of love for an anime, manga or game character (or seiyuu or idol). The feeling is "stronger" than suki and is for girls or young women who seem cute (kawaiirashii) and sweet and innocent (ijirashii). Hazuki certainly fits, but maybe Luna doesn’t? The feeling is “primitive”, like a reflex of the nervous system. In Japanese, it appears that the word applies mainly to the feeling, and only then to the characters who inspire it.

There are several theories about where the word comes from. The main theory seems to be that it comes from the heroine of the anime Dinosaur Planet (1993), SAGISAWA Moe. Another idea is that it’s from the name of Sailor Venus (TOMOE Hotaru, 1992)[edit: actually Sailor Saturn. My mistake.] Or it might be from the shojo manga Taiyo Ni Smash! (1993), which has the character TAKATSU Moe (not sure about the pronunciation of the surname).

I thought it related to girls who were just coming of age (“sprouting”), but I don’t see that mentioned. It’s more that those feelings of love “sprout” (moeru 萌える ) or “burn” (also moeru but written 燃える ). Maybe someone can say. Some people apparently think the “sprout” kanji is a typo for the “burn” one.

One thing I read even goes so far as to lay out the top ten names for girls born in Japan over the last 15 years, and points out that the kanji 萌 (“sprout”) began to appear on the list in 1993, rose to first place in 1998, and was back to 7th place in 2002. “Moe” has been nominated this year in an annual contest in Japan for word of the year.

There's more info in English at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mo%E9
The two links at the bottom of the page are interesting, including one that supposedly presents the archetypal “Moé-tan”. I got my info mainly from this Japanese page:
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/keyword/%cb%a8%a4%a8

As for which characters are moe, that’s dealt with at length in one of the English links, where the author says that Sakura of CCS, and Sailor Venus, and Kokoro from Kokoro Library are prime examples, but that somewhat older figures such as Chi from Chobits and Minawa from Mahoromatic are also moe. But none of the primary characters in Onegai Teacher or Love Hina are moe, because they’re too mature and independent. One Japanese blog I read today said with exclamation marks that Hazuki in the new OP (as of episode 9) is truly moe.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2004-12-03 at 15:21.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-03, 04:19   Link #559
CoolMod
mahou timer

7 is up guys, sorry for the wait =)
CoolMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-03, 10:28   Link #560
z-kun
baka!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
For moe, “cute in a childish way” sounds right to me. As far as I can read it, one major Japanese site says moe (pron. mo-ay) refers to feelings of love for an anime, manga or game character (or seiyuu or idol). The feeling is "stronger" than suki and is for girls or young women who seem cute (kawaiirashii) and sweet and innocent (ijirashii). Hazuki certainly fits, but maybe Luna doesn’t? The feeling is “primitive”, like a reflex of the nervous system. In Japanese, it appears that the word applies mainly to the feeling, and only then to the characters who inspire it.

There are several theories about where the word comes from. The main theory seems to be that it comes from the heroine of the anime Dinosaur Planet (1993), SAGISAWA Moe. Another idea is that it’s from the name of Sailor Venus (TOMOE Hotaru, 1992). Or it might be from the shojo manga Taiyo Ni Smash! (1993), which has the character TAKATSU Moe (not sure about the pronunciation of the surname).

I thought it related to girls who were just coming of age (“sprouting”), but I don’t see that mentioned. It’s more that those feelings of love “sprout” (moeru 萌える ) or “burn” (also moeru but written 燃える ). Maybe someone can say. Some people apparently think the “sprout” kanji is a typo for the “burn” one.

One thing I read even goes so far as to lay out the top ten names for girls born in Japan over the last 15 years, and points out that the kanji 萌 (“sprout”) began to appear on the list in 1993, rose to first place in 1998, and was back to 7th place in 2002. “Moe” has been nominated this year in an annual contest in Japan for word of the year.

There's more info in English at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mo%E9
The two links at the bottom of the page are interesting, including one that supposedly presents the archetypal “Moé-tan”. I got my info mainly from this Japanese page:
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/keyword/%cb%a8%a4%a8

As for which characters are moe, that’s dealt with at length in one of the English links, where the author says that Sakura of CCS, and Sailor Venus, and Kokoro from Kokoro Library are prime examples, but that somewhat older figures such as Chi from Chobits and Minawa from Mahoromatic are also moe. But none of the primary characters in Onegai Teacher or Love Hina are moe, because they’re too mature and independent. One Japanese blog I read today said with exclamation marks that Hazuki in the new OP (as of episode 9) is truly moe.

Sorry for the long post.
Interesting post, Kaoru Chujo. I have only one comment to make, Tomoe Hotaru from Sailor Moon is actually Sailor Saturn, the warrior of destruction, not Sailor Venus (who is Minako).

Tags
fantasy, kemonomimi, seinen