Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-31, 22:22   Link #681
Hata
時の異邦人

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I think it's going to be more that they just want to do the best they can and possibly to represent Japan in the world championship alluded to in the first episode. If we need more personal reasons, then it could be Miho wanting to go up against her sister (more shades of Saki).
that is not it I think, I meant by the end of episode 4 when Momo said "we must win no matter what". that is called a foreshadow or clue right there, there is no way the student council has any prior knowledge or even purpose with Miho and her sisters. remember the generous term the student council gave for joining the Tank Club? there might e a hidden purpose behind it, and representing Japan does not fit the urgency.
Old 2012-10-31, 22:28   Link #682
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hata View Post
that is not it I think, I meant by the end of episode 4 when Momo said "we must win no matter what".
I took that to be connected to Miho helping Hana prove her point to her mother who, you know, just disowned her.
Old 2012-10-31, 22:42   Link #683
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
That should just be the Pz. Is and IIs which were considered obsolete. Pz. IIIs, 35(t)s and 38(t)s were considered competitive in the early campaigns. The Pz. III and equivalents were supposed to engage enemy tanks and it was the Pz. IVs which were the support tanks - that's why they had a low-velocity gun.
I won't deny that IVs were initially designed as a support role against infantry and fortifications. This was indeed true. But the roles for both tanks, I'd argue, was reversed almost overnight.

Rommel's encounter against Matildas in Arras would affirm this, and his experience would probably differ with Guderian's more optimistic view of German tanks. I am sure you know the story. While driving off the BEF counterattack, German crews discovered the IIIs' 3.7cm was inferior and largely useless against British Maltildas. This prompted an act by Rommel that gave birth to the infamous 88.

During the French campaign, German engineers thought of equipping IVs with guns based on the PAK 38 to increase penetration power since the IVs had a larger turret ring capable of mounting a larger gun whereas the IIIs did not. Of course, this never came into fruition since the campaign was over before replacements were necessary. Nonetheless, it set the precedent that rendered the IV to be the most upgradable German tank chassis during WWII.

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 23:02   Link #684
Midonin
Last Engage

Girls & Tanks 04 - Dance! Dance! Fish Dance!

I would love to discuss the characters of this show a little more, but with such a large cast in a small time frame, some characters are going to lose out. The main characters, obviously, and the student council has enough personality shown that I can get a lock on them. The historical society kinda has it by dint of the figures they've assumed (will we ever learn their real names?), but the volleyball team and the first years really get the shaft. If it weren't for the fact that Mika Kikuchi is the head of the volleyball group, I wouldn't have my eye on them nearly as much.

The first years, especially. Were they all friends before they were put on a team? What's their stories? These sound like the kinds of things fit for a spinoff. (I hope there is one.) Even the Gloriana team is mostly "stereotypically British". We know every individual tank of Oarai, but the non-lead ones for Gloriana may as well be filled with masked grunts.

Seeing the first years playing cards helped their characterization somewhat, and I loved what the council was doing. They alternated between being the laziest of all and extremely trigger happy in the span of a few minutes. I think Yuzu might be the only well-adjusted one on their crew.

I am glad for what character moments we do get, though. Hana's going to make flower arranging awesome or die trying. (Has there ever been a flower-arranging anime?) And Miho's story continues be intriguing. Lots of stuff happening in quick cuts in this show. The Ankou Dance, which was great, was over with as soon as it begun, and the same for the tournament. No mulling over whether to enter it or not, or trying out for it. They were in thanks to the power of montage and editing.

If the show is switching out the visuals for the ED, I would love if it switched out the vocals, too. Covers by the other teams. Maybe they're saving that for the DVDs.

It's a fine show so far, I'm just not sure how far my specialties in discussion can go in regards to analyzing it. (Said he, after writing several paragraphs.)
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 23:34   Link #685
willx
Nyaaan~~

Pardon me while I just leave this here:

willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 00:25   Link #686
Random Wanderer

Usually I see this question asked dozens of times by the time a show gets to this point, but the discussions about tank history seem to have warded it off for this series. That leaves me to ask: how many episodes is this series going to be? They could do some much more interesting stuff with a 24 or 26 episode series that I don't think they would have time for with a 12 or 13 one. There's potential here that could easily be used for a full two-cour series, and I feel it would be rather a shame to see it not get the time it deserves.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 00:34   Link #687
Tak

Well, here is a million dollar question: Are boys allowed in Sensha-do?

- Tak
Old 2012-11-01, 00:39   Link #688
Pen3

Since i do not like the Heavy plates on PzIV H, i hope Miho gets a Panther instead. Not sure how agile the Panther is.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 00:41   Link #689
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Well, here is a million dollar question: Are boys allowed in Sensha-do?

- Tak
Given how it's connected to "womanly virtues", I'd say that in the modern age of THIS universe, no. Might be in its past though -- I mean, Rommel HAS to have been a male here too, right?
Old 2012-11-01, 00:43   Link #690
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
I mean, Rommel HAS to have been a male here too, right?
I certainly hope so. I am not sure if I have the stomach for Erwina Rommel's Ambition: Campaigns of the 9-tailed fox.

- Tak
Old 2012-11-01, 01:17   Link #691
Eclipze

Does the Town Carrier have an abundance of resources or something? Allowing the practice tank match take place in residential areas, destroying multiple properties in the process? Seriously?
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 01:19   Link #692
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
Does the Town Carrier have an abundance of resources or something? Allowing the practice tank match take place in residential areas, destroying multiple properties in the process? Seriously?
No, that was on land. Two town-carriers both docked at harbor, remember?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 01:19   Link #693
PzIVf3

PzKpfw. IV - Projekt (W 1466 & AKF 31941)
[/url]

http://www.panzerbaer.de/models/35_n...iv_w1466-a.htm

Intended to built a slopped armor and thicker armor to make it built easier but the small eight wheels did not support the heavy weight. The project was scrapped.

I dont know why they deleted the large road wheels.
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 03:01   Link #694
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
I'm sort of curious about that too. St. Gloriana has the Churchill as their "boss" tank. I wonder what the Saunders have.
That was just a Friendly match. They showed a Crusader in the background, proving that they didn't use their best equipment in this battle.
Old 2012-11-01, 04:09   Link #695
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Huh. This is interesting.

Nonna, aka this character from the Pravda (Russian) team:

Is voiced by Sumire Uesaka (Dekomori Sanae from Chuunibyou).

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbv
I gasped at the choice of Uesaka Sumire as the seiyuu of Nonna because Uesaka is famous as a loli-dresing Russian/USSR otaku (who actually now studys Russian in Sophia University, one the top schools in Japan for foreign studies) who says she loves Russian history, literature, art, military, music, everything. Everyone should know about this amazing girl, perhaps starting with her blog http://ameblo.jp/sumire-uesaka/ and her cosplay as a Russian soldier http://c.asset.soup.io/asset/3119/0188_8848.jpeg
And as houkoholic posted on the Chuunibyou thread, Sumire Uesaka is also quite the military knowledgeable, and her favorite tank is the BT-5.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 05:01   Link #696
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I guess the Russian squad's going to be riding T-34s then?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 05:45   Link #697
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
No, that was on land. Two town-carriers both docked at harbor, remember?
Ah, ok. Doesn't change the question entirely though. That town has too much spare resources to allow the urban damage?
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 05:48   Link #698
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Ah, ok. Doesn't change the question entirely though. That town has too much spare resources to allow the urban damage?
The map was decided three days in advance. If anyone has a problem they can forward a complain in writing within the first 24 hours.

And all damage is paid for.
Old 2012-11-01, 08:02   Link #699
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Compensation:
Any damage to buildings and roads within the designated battlefield would be restored using compensatory payments handed out by the Senshado Federation.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 08:13   Link #700
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Does the Senshado have that much spare resources?

(Answer: yes, obviously. They're at the point where giant carriers are used for school campuses and tanks for high school sports.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks