AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-03-17, 00:08   Link #1
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
Favourite villain or Antagonist in anime

Who would be your favorite villian in a series or movie and why?

I would have to go with Sesshomaru myself from Inuyasha. At first I thought he was just another run of the mill bad guy but after awhile you begin to see hes more dynamic. You begin to see him more compassionate somewhat such as when he revives Rin with the tensaiga and he lets her follow him. His fight is usually with Inuyasha alone and doesn't bother with the other party members. From the episodes ive seen he tries to attack Kagome once after she shoots an arrow at him and he tells her to stop but instead she shoots a second arrow. No pointless killings from him unless there is something he wants. Whenever hes in an episode you can be sure its going to be a good one in my opinion.
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 00:25   Link #2
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

Fun post. Let's see...
As of recent, my choice is Wendy from ROD TV. She has amazed me with her evilness. No special powers, no guns. Just an evil genius. She's basically a British drow.
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 00:32   Link #3
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
Griffithsu

When you say villian, you have to think of a bad man, one who would sell out his comrades, or kill his loved ones. Maybe even a conjunction of both. Or would a villian do this all in the name of obtaining his dream, even if it ment selling humanity out short.

There's only one, when I think of a great anime villian. One who goes beyond good and evil however. The face of a saint, even the heart of one to. He see's his actions as just. I speak of Griffith. He looks so friendly does'nt he ?

Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 01:13   Link #4
TheMongoMania

Nakago from Fushigi Yuugi is probably one of the most evil villians ever. I love the guy!
TheMongoMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 06:28   Link #5
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

I don't have a best villian, but I thought Aion from Chrno Crusade was pretty smooth baddy.
Old 2004-03-17, 07:57   Link #6
Naru_Narusegawa
Assasin Cross of Sunset

Kougaiji from Saiyuki!!
Naru_Narusegawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 08:24   Link #7
Wilcon

Send a message via ICQ to Wilcon Send a message via MSN to Wilcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Guts
When you say villian, you have to think of a bad man, one who would sell out his comrades, or kill his loved ones. Maybe even a conjunction of both. Or would a villian do this all in the name of obtaining his dream, even if it ment selling humanity out short.

There's only one, when I think of a great anime villian. One who goes beyond good and evil however. The face of a saint, even the heart of one to. He see's his actions as just. I speak of Griffith. He looks so friendly does'nt he ?
He sure does
And he's the only right choice for me, Griffith... speak the name
Wilcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 09:04   Link #8
cercia_highelf
Virtue

Alexander Anderson from Hellsing. What a guy! He's sooo cool!!!
cercia_highelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 10:05   Link #9
SwiftStar
Daydreamer

I always thought Vicious was awesome and totally deserving of his name. He did kill Mao so there is your betrayal right there and he always seemed more than a match for the completely indestructable Spike.
SwiftStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 10:27   Link #10
Nyssane
Mohji Fanboi

Send a message via AIM to Nyssane Send a message via MSN to Nyssane
My favorite is Mohji from One Piece.
Nyssane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 10:31   Link #11
Rika_Nika

Send a message via AIM to Rika_Nika Send a message via MSN to Rika_Nika Send a message via Yahoo to Rika_Nika
Ya.........I thought that Aoshi was the best villian in Rurouni Kenshin. But somewhat crazy at the same time. But doesnt the crazy, killer type of villian make the best ones. I mean look at Farforello from Weiss Kreuz he is a crazy, killer baddy, what makes him cool is that he cant feel pain......i mean that would be kewl not to feel pain
Rika_Nika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 11:01   Link #12
Hisoka44

hisoka from hunter x hunter and of course sesshomaru from inuyasha. best characters ever
Hisoka44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 12:46   Link #13
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:

And I agree completely.
Griffith is one of the most perfect villains ever. Sacrificing everything to acquire power. He's the perfect representation of a "raw" human being- always desiring for power. Manipulating his own friends, and then coldly killing them all to achieve his dream.

Vicious, from Cowboy Bebop, is a perfect villain too. A very strong man, both in intelligence and strength, who will do anything to achieve the greatest political power. He's more than a match to Spike Spiegel, as SwiftStar-san said. Everyone in the underground fears the single mention of his name.

Orochimaru. Although Naruto isn't nearly one of the best anime ever, it produced one of the best villains ever. And that's the cruel and cold Orochimaru. A man with no honor, who will sacrifice even the life of his father to achieve his ambitions. An egocentrical man who's a master at manipulating people and events. Someone who wants to achieve a true understanding of everything in this world, and is willing to sacrifice anything in order to fullfill his dream. Also, everyone, not only at the Hidden Leaf Village, but at the whole area of the 5 Great Countries piss their pants by hearing the single mention of "Orochimaru". Without a doubt one of the strongest ninja who ever lived, and by far the cruelest and coldest of them all.

Tetsuo. From the greatest manga ever, there needs to be one of the greatest villains ever. The paranoic Tetsuo is cruel, cold; even though being just a little child lost in sadness and sorrow after all. I like to separate Tetsuo into 3 "incarnations": the first and correct one, the second, cruel, cold and evil one (which's my favorite) and the third, "good boy" one. His second "incarnation" was the best of all. A rebel, a vicious villain, who would achieve enything through raw power. Also, his character design is one of the best I have ever seen (I was using an avatar of his not too long ago).

Shishio Makoto. The greatest villain in Rurouni Kenshin, IMO. Very strong, and a tactical genius. Wanted to achieve the greatest power that is to rule Japan, and then free it of the "Meiji scum". Shishio isn't a "villain", but an antagonist. Like Kenshin himself said once in the manga, only the time would prove if Shishio was right or wrong. He was an honored swordsman, who fought for his beliefs. He wanted the best for Japan (or at least he thought so), so he was willing to sacrifice people in order to achieve a "better land".

Friend. I don't know if it's really right to consider Friend as a villain, at least he's an antagonist after all. Friend from 20th Century Boys is a perfect antagonist. First, no one knows who is he, actually- everyone you meet in the manga is a suspect. Second, he's a genius. A genius in politics and tatics that made himself the most famous person of the world in a very short period of time. He managed to forfeit his own death, to achieve more power. A villain that can forfeit his image and lead everyone to believe he's actually the "good guy". He's indeed one of the best villains (I'd say even one of the best characters) that were ever produced.

What defines a good villain is, IMO, cruelty, coldness, evilness and intelligence. And every villain that I listed above have these qualities in abundance.
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 13:08   Link #14
Saouri
Megami-sama

Send a message via MSN to Saouri Send a message via Yahoo to Saouri
Talking

Best Villians?
I like a few...

*Dahji, from Soul Hunter. She was a puppet of Kun-lun. But she had style!
*Vicious, from Cowboy Bebop. One of the badass of anime. I simply love him. Sometimes he steal the show...
*Vincent, in Cowboy Bebop: Tengoku no Tobira. I like this character a lot.
*Aion form Chrno Crusade. Is a devil, but a charming devil...too handsome.
*Naraku form Inuyasha. Bad just for be bad...but i need to say he had style too to be a villian.
*Makoto Shishio, one of the greatest characters ever created for Rurouni Kenshin. As Vicious said...he isn't a "villian", he had his own reason to be in the way he is.
Saouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 18:09   Link #15
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

This is a really tough question, mainly because 'villain' can be defined in so many ways, and often the best 'villains' aren't evil at all, but have every reason to be the person they are, and do not see themselves as villains. I find that much more interested than a 2 dimensional character who is evil for the sake of evil.

Britai, from Super Dimension Fortress Macross comes to mind. As head of the fleet sent to recover/destroy the Macross he is put in the role as 'head villain' for a large portion of the series. Much of that time is spent trying to complete his objectives, while at the same time mulling over what exactly it is he has encountered in these 'miclones', the humans. Also he has to deal with his own forces changing over time due to their encounters with human culture. Some growing more vicious and unstable, while others becoming more unreliable in battle, as they learn to appreciate what it is they have been sent to destroy.

As a character, he developes very nicely throughout the tv series, but gets shorted in the movie version of the story.

How about the Magnificent Ten? Perhaps the greatest collection of villains in all of anime! Alberto the Impact, Mask the Red, The Fabulous Fiztgeraldo! Nearly all of them get more developement in just a smidge of screen time than many anime villains get in an entire series. Most of all, Alberto, as one of the main characters in the entire Giant Robo OVA. His feud with Taisou, and his friendships and relationship with the other members of the Magnificent Ten.

How about the villains in Hades Project Zeorymer? This OVA was known for the incredible amount of developement each character got, all packed into a very small amount of time, yet still pulled off remarkably well.

How about Legend of the Galactic Heroes for some villains? Though, the lines are blurred in that series more than many. Two great empires fighting against each other, neither really being the 'bad' side, but with many corrupt officials, nobles, and whatnot forcing the show's heroes to clash time and again. Oberstein is not exactly someone I would consider a 'good guy', yet they still manage to give him some interesting personality quirks that round him out well.

Back to Macross, I found myself enjoying many of the 'villains' from Macross 7 well into the series. Then again, that show is pretty much all about the slow, yet realistic developement of the characters (even if the story itself is highly unrealistic, no one is arguing that). Gigil, especially, developed into one of my favourite characters in the show.
Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 19:38   Link #16
SimplyEd
Claytard

Quote:

Agreed. A truly great villain, it's just as easy to hate him as it is easy to worship
him. Personally i detest him utterly, the only virtual being i hate more would be FF7's Sephiroth^^ Still, somehow i can't get rid of the feeling that revealing him as a villian is somewhat of a big spoiler for those who happened to just recently start Berserk while reading this thread...ah well

And now for the ultimate villain ever: Exel Saga's very own Il Palazzo-sama...
Spoiler:

The very incarnation of a charismatic, villainous leader of a terroristic foundation (sort of..) with megalomaniac ambitions for world domination ( btw, something i gave up long ago, this whole "world dominance-thingy" is just a hassle....kids, don't try this at home )
SimplyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 19:45   Link #17
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family

Send a message via ICQ to AkihaTohno Send a message via AIM to AkihaTohno
I have to say Wendy from ROD TV. I know there's a lot more ruthless people out there, but that woman CHANGED. And I mean it, she's stonecold beotch now. she suffers no remorse or anything. She gets her job done, and that's that.
AkihaTohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 20:13   Link #18
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkihaTohno
I have to say Wendy from ROD TV. I know there's a lot more ruthless people out there, but that woman CHANGED. And I mean it, she's stonecold beotch now. she suffers no remorse or anything. She gets her job done, and that's that.
YAY! Someone who agrees. She is so EVIL!!! And she was the "moe" secretary in the OVA...
I don't know which one I like more...
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 20:44   Link #19
daliinn

Vicious all the way. He is just so cocky its cool. I mean.. who else would try to take on a gun with a katana? Crazy cool....

Another sorta villian is Sora from .hack//sign. He is a dreaded player killer whos childlike instincts sets him as one of the coolest villians there is. This wanted player is a rebel among rebels. A true bad ass
daliinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 20:52   Link #20
Shaman
kitty kitty..meow

I'd have to go with Legatto Bluesummers. Because he's a bad ass and can basically kill anyone.
Shaman is offline   Reply With Quote