AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 5 9.80%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 6 11.76%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 23.53%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 21.57%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 13.73%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 5.88%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 7.84%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.96%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.96%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-09-14, 19:04   Link #61
Razgriz8492

Just had a thought on the Febri being scared of Misaka stuff.

As she seems to act as some kind of conduit to allow others to control machines, she may be more receptive to electromagnetic fields. As we know, Misaka has issues with animals because of the field that she generates, so maybe Febri was reacting to it too, and needed to overcome that, much like 10032s cat?
Razgriz8492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 19:13   Link #62
rladls716

Maybe Touma would have done the same thing what Mikoto did.

Mikoto trusted Telestina, so why not this (I forgot his name) guy.
rladls716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 19:17   Link #63
Shadrala
Level 5 Railgun Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz8492 View Post
Just had a thought on the Febri being scared of Misaka stuff.

As she seems to act as some kind of conduit to allow others to control machines, she may be more receptive to electromagnetic fields. As we know, Misaka has issues with animals because of the field that she generates, so maybe Febri was reacting to it too, and needed to overcome that, much like 10032s cat?
Hmm, that's an interesting theory and the most plausible one I've heard so far! :3 Thanks for sharing!

Shadrala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 19:20   Link #64
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls716 View Post
Touma has done a lot of dumb things but i can't remember anything this dumb.

Quote:
Mikoto trusted Telestina, so why not this (I forgot his name) guy.
with Telestina, Mikoto had no choice, with this guy she had a choice of torturing the receipt out of him.
Old 2013-09-14, 19:27   Link #65
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
The dialogue was good (especially the Mikoto/Therestina conversation). The tension was great. The various character interactions were nice and tended to have a good sense of depth and urgency to them. For most of this episode, Mikoto seemed very sober and thoughtful, which I think shows how she is growing as a character.

... But yeah, that last scene had some serious issues with it. It's not just that Mikoto agreed to have herself paralyzed in the presence of a clearly morally challenged, highly intelligent "mad scientist" type (though that is pretty bad in and of itself). It's also this habit of her's of always going off on her own without maintaining contact with others. One of your best friends is a teleporter, and you go into risky situations without keeping contact with her? Why needlessly take such a silly risk? Why?!

This episode was excellent at hitting all the right emotional notes, and laying on the pathos and character development in a very compelling way. But it was also dumb. Emotionally smart, but intellectually dumb. Such a shame. With tighter writing (even just tighter editing), this could have been a superb episode. As is, I'll be generous and give it a 8/10.
Old 2013-09-14, 19:32   Link #66
julioalqae
the pragma

Send a message via Yahoo to julioalqae
i like the variation of the score in this filler arc....

while i can't say it's bad....as a index fan.......yeah this eps made me cringe in some part...., the act of therestina.....she is a kihara right??? and the way of mikoto convince her, seems too cheap
anddddd.....mikoto just believe that he will give that goddamn cure???
....., i really want to know who is the scriptwriter in this episode......

and for the next 2 episode....., i hope there is a justification for the ending...and some surprise will be good
Old 2013-09-14, 19:35   Link #67
Ilidsor
Angelerator

Quote:
How is what Touma would have done relevant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
with Telestina, Mikoto had no choice, with this guy she had a choice of torturing the receipt out of him.
She doesn't even need to torture him, I don't see why everyone is jumping to that. I'm sure if he was arrested and faced with life in prison for the murder of Febri then he would be willing to save her just to avoid it.
Old 2013-09-14, 19:38   Link #68
Triple_R
*Author

Right. Just arrest the man. Take him in, and force him to give you the cure in exchange for not having to spend the next 20 years in jail. It might not be ideal, but it sure as heck is better than getting yourself paralyzed in front of someone that probably deeply resents you and everything you represent to him.
Old 2013-09-14, 19:41   Link #69
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
How is what Touma would have done relevant?

She doesn't even need to torture him, I don't see why everyone is jumping to that. I'm sure if he was arrested and faced with life in prison for the murder of Febri then he would be willing to save her just to avoid it.
this is Academy City, no such thing as life sentence for top class mad scientist. AC will either gave him another job+raise or liquidate him.
Old 2013-09-14, 19:46   Link #70
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
this is Academy City, no such thing as life sentence for top class mad scientist. AC will either gave him another job+raise or liquidate him.
How do you explain Therestina then? It looked to me like she was in a prison cell, not a laboratory...
Old 2013-09-14, 19:48   Link #71
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
How do you explain Therestina then? It looked to me like she was in a prison cell, not a laboratory...
bad writing

also that cell she is in has a chair she sits in like throne. I wouldn't be surprise if she can open the cell door anytime she wants. She is a KIHARA.
Old 2013-09-14, 19:53   Link #72
Sumeragi
Banned

Tessa seems to be de jure in prison, de facto under house arrest.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 19:56   Link #73
Ilidsor
Angelerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Right. Just arrest the man. Take him in, and force him to give you the cure in exchange for not having to spend the next 20 years in jail. It might not be ideal, but it sure as heck is better than getting yourself paralyzed in front of someone that probably deeply resents you and everything you represent to him.
Heck she didn't even know it would just paralyze her. She could very easily have just gotten herself killed.

Quote:
1. For all Misaka knows they do.

2. How do you know that? That just seems like speculation. There have been cases of espers getting released and forced to do dirty work but no scientists. Scientists aren't exactly rare in this city.

and 3. Even if Kihara's and other "top brass" get off I can't see these brats getting any special treatment.
Old 2013-09-14, 22:28   Link #74
Primary Consult

Three things...
1. The Saten / Febri scenes were seriously adorable. Watch with subs off to fully appreciate them. Also the intonation of her voice during those scenes added much to the adorableness.

2. Someone above mentioned that it would be out of character for Telestina to help Mikoto... It has been established in Railgun anime that the various scientific groups in AC are competing with one another. IMO Telestina is simply bored, and by helping Mikoto she has the opportunity to mess up [potential] rival scientists' progress on a project she has little to no connection to. It is arguably the most Kihara thing she could do from behind bars.

3. As for the controversy involving the final scene with the scientist... her choices weren't just:
a) surrender to the guy and hope for the best
b) torture the guy Jack Bauer style
She had another option: c) ignore the data device and simply apprehend him and drag him to the Judgement office (does AC have "citizen's arrest")? Maybe call in a favor from Misaki to mind probe him. If they have to let him go immediately due to lack of evidence / crime, have Uiharu plant a GPS tracker on him. Even just the opportunity for the team to sit around for 5 minutes brainstorming what to do with him would have been better. If all else failed leave him alone in a room for five minutes with Saten and her bat .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
Heck she didn't even know it would just paralyze her. She could very easily have just gotten herself killed.
Actually she's pretty safe in that area. For some reason they skipped a few lines when adapting from the manga, but back in the ITEM arc they were specifically forbidden from killing Mikoto when trying to stop her from destroying facilities. Killing her would likely piss some people far more important than a bunch of disgruntled geniuses off...

Last edited by Primary Consult; 2013-09-14 at 22:43.
Primary Consult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 23:30   Link #75
sheeplet

That last scene was weird.

True, it was a hostage situation of sorts and there's definitely a lot of psychological pressure, but I don't see why Mikoto couldn't have kicked the lanky nerd's ass with her powers.

The risk of destroying the data isn't even all that threatening, considering Mikoto's absurd control over her powers. The range of her powers isn't limited to simply shocking people with electricity. Hell, she could have done it without using her powers, since Shinobu was there to assist.

The possibility of Mikoto making poor decisions in handling such a small threat because of pressure is certainly there, but it feels a bit off from the shrewd, strong, and violent persona that she had.
sheeplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 23:47   Link #76
Triple_R
*Author

Well, to be fair, she'd have to subdue him pretty fast and very efficiently in order to save the data. He could conceivably just crush it in his hands mid-attack. Or it could get fried by a stray electrical bolt, or it could crack just from the hitting the floor the wrong way. So there was a risk in attacking him, especially if you're not confident that the data has a backup somewhere, or that the guy knows it easily off the top of his head.

Still, there's also obviously a risk in letting yourself get paralyzed in this sort of situation. Or possibly even poisoned, since the guy could be lying.

Considering both risks, it's better to attack, imo. At least one of the two risks is much less likely to get Mikoto herself killed. Mikoto isn't going to save Febri if Mikoto herself gets killed.

If I was to give the writers the benefit of the doubt, perhaps Mikoto still has some lingering effects from the Sisters arc that's causing her great shame and hence subconscious borderline suicidal desires. That could explain her taking huge, seemingly OoC risks (including eating that candy from Therestina).
Old 2013-09-14, 23:52   Link #77
Altima of the Gates
Casting a spell on you...
*Graphic Designer

Location: Where there are no mallets or tentacles.... and the female cast of Tenjou Tenge is mine, all mine!
Send a message via AIM to Altima of the Gates Send a message via MSN to Altima of the Gates Send a message via Yahoo to Altima of the Gates
Quote:
bad writing

also that cell she is in has a chair she sits in like throne. I wouldn't be surprise if she can open the cell door anytime she wants. She is a KIHARA.
As long as she is useful, AC will save her for something, its all about using resources effectively. They do hold people, it is just that those people might not stay there if they happen to have a use atm.

As for Mikoto's actions this episode, yeah, her options were limited because she didn't make good use of her friends, I expected her to bring Kuroko with her to the facility and was surprised she went alone. However, her actions when she was alone were understandable. Don't think the guy was bluffing since he knows her abilities or break the stick if she tries something. I was more disappointed in Shinobu for easily going along with it and not negotiating to get the antidote for Febri. After all, if she means nothing to them anyway and were going to dispose of her as waste material, it ought to be fine. Any experiments could wait after they get the recipe to the others.
Altima of the Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-15, 01:36   Link #78
SilverTalon

I think her not bring Kuroko and also going alone was fine. Kuroko is probably (other than Touma) the only person she really trusts that she can leave to protect Febri. How does she know there won't be another attempt on Febri while she is looking for a cure? Uiharu, Saten, and Konori have absolutely no way to retaliate against the robots. Kongou's group maybe but they don't seem to be completely filled in.

And yeah that ending... capturing him (hopefully without letting him break that) was the far better option. Even if he managed to break it (assuming it was on there at all), there are other ways to get the information from him. Trusting Thelestina was fine because that was her only clue, even if he broke the data, she still had a huge clue to work from with the guy himself.
SilverTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-15, 02:16   Link #79
Marina2

I was going to addmore complian about the last scene but then I remembered that Mikoto is specially stupid when it comes to bluffing or mind-game.

I guess I can let this one pass...........

*add one more method in "How to beat Misaka Mikoto"*

Last edited by Marina2; 2013-09-15 at 02:51.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-15, 03:04   Link #80
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altima of the Gates View Post
As for Mikoto's actions this episode, yeah, her options were limited because she didn't make good use of her friends, I expected her to bring Kuroko with her to the facility and was surprised she went alone. However, her actions when she was alone were understandable. Don't think the guy was bluffing since he knows her abilities or break the stick if she tries something.
Yeah, well, if he implied he'd rather die than give her the data, I'm pretty sure he was bluffing. And maybe not even that would be enough to keep mum, considering the existence of telepathic espers.

Once again, the stick isn't important. Convincing him to hand over the real data is. And you can't do that from a position of weakness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primary Consult View Post
2. Someone above mentioned that it would be out of character for Telestina to help Mikoto... It has been established in Railgun anime that the various scientific groups in AC are competing with one another. IMO Telestina is simply bored, and by helping Mikoto she has the opportunity to mess up [potential] rival scientists' progress on a project she has little to no connection to. It is arguably the most Kihara thing she could do from behind bars.
Actually, the most Kihara thing she could do would be to start another mad science experiment. The lack of supplies and constant surveillance should be inconveniences, not unsurmountable obstacles.

Quote:
3. As for the controversy involving the final scene with the scientist... her choices weren't just:
a) surrender to the guy and hope for the best
b) torture the guy Jack Bauer style
She had another option: c) ignore the data device and simply apprehend him and drag him to the Judgement office (does AC have "citizen's arrest")? Maybe call in a favor from Misaki to mind probe him. If they have to let him go immediately due to lack of evidence / crime, have Uiharu plant a GPS tracker on him. Even just the opportunity for the team to sit around for 5 minutes brainstorming what to do with him would have been better. If all else failed leave him alone in a room for five minutes with Saten and her bat .
Sure. The point is, as long as she captures him, there are ways to get the data. It's if she doesn't that it all gets up in the air.

Quote:
Actually she's pretty safe in that area. For some reason they skipped a few lines when adapting from the manga, but back in the ITEM arc they were specifically forbidden from killing Mikoto when trying to stop her from destroying facilities. Killing her would likely piss some people far more important than a bunch of disgruntled geniuses off...
Yes, but do the geniuses know that? Because if they don't, she could easily find herself... well, not dead, but revived as an unholy scientific abomination.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote