AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-10, 08:23   Link #241
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Don't worry, our TL insisted on "Toaru" for just that reason. But - as thread owner - aren't you able to correct it back?

Well okay - then I stand corrected. If that's novel knowledge, I'll assume that it was indeed like this, and the wording from the initial monologue was intentionally deceiving. But consider me royally puzzled.
Wel you add the way he tried to inertvine and the totality of he monologue with himself and its clear....he did it to keep hr from beating the sht out of them, then again I haz dino kitty brain s:P
Old 2008-10-10, 08:59   Link #242
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Don't worry, our TL insisted on "Toaru" for just that reason. But - as thread owner - aren't you able to correct it back?
I don't think so...? I've never done it before, so I don't know how...
Tried editing the first post, but no go...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-10-10, 09:11   Link #243
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I don't think so...? I've never done it before, so I don't know how...
Tried editing the first post, but no go...
Edit -> Go Advanced, then you can edit the title.

Anyway, concerning the title, considering the と is written separately from the 或る kanji, IMHO having it separate wouldn't exactly be unacceptable <_<. (I prefer it connected myself though)

Last edited by selkirk; 2008-10-10 at 09:23.
Old 2008-10-10, 09:27   Link #244
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirk View Post
Edit -> Go Advanced, then you can edit the title.
It won't change... (o_o;;;; )
(The title in the post changed, but the thread title doesn't)

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-10-10, 09:33   Link #245
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
It won't change... (o_o;;;; )
(The title in the post changed, but the thread title doesn't)
Huh. I could've sworn that was how it worked in another vBulletin board I used to use...
Old 2008-10-10, 09:43   Link #246
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Title has been edited.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2008-10-10, 09:47   Link #247
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Title has been edited.
Thanks a lot.

Old 2008-10-10, 09:58   Link #248
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Title has been edited.
Too bad you can't change wikipedia, aniDB, Danbooru, and baka-updates so easily. Oh but the lack of consistency has left me in despair.
Old 2008-10-10, 10:14   Link #249
elroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
And how exactly do they know each other? If they already knew each other, why would

a)...Touma explain to her he's a level 0.
b)...Mikoto explain her Railgun.
c)...why she would be shocked(>.>) to see Touma nullify her attack?
d)...why didn't she greet him the same way as their second meeting?

Obviously it could be determined that he knew OF Mikoto(though I don't think this was so in the manga), which is why he might have wanted to save the delinquents from her, but I don't think that was his original intention, since I'd have to doubt that he can discern a person whom he never personally met from the back of their head.
erm... i dont mean to bring this topic back, but just to explain stuff.

According to the novel, these sequence did explained by the author, and maybe it just was my feeling, but i felt the manga did shorten a lot things.

a) Touma was trying to tell her he is also a level 0, just like the deliquents that were beaten up by Mikoto. Before that Mikoto said she won't use her rail gun on level 0 because they can be easily handled, but Touma nullifies her attack all the time. So she is going to use an even stronger attack on him.

b) Mikoto explained her rail gun because this is the first time she use it against Touma. The novel did mentioned they knew each other since half or one month ago, but it is not like they are going to meet each other everyday. Everytime they fight( basically Touma is just nullify the attacks and flees). But each time Mikoto attacks slowly becomes stronger and stronger attack. At the end she even uses her strongest skill- Rail gun and Thunder on Touma.

c) this is because Touma's ability is still an unknown to her. Which means that his power might be very strong if Touma becomes serious(though she is actually wrong...). If i remember, she is shocked when Touma threaten her that he is going to be serious, not when her attack was nullified.

d) Basically, Mikoto begin her first conversation in the anime by questioning why is Touma trying to lure the delinquents away from her. The second time she 'greet' with different way because she is looking for Touma to continue their fight.
Old 2008-10-10, 12:29   Link #250
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroid View Post
erm... i dont mean to bring this topic back, but just to explain stuff.

According to the novel, these sequence did explained by the author, and maybe it just was my feeling, but i felt the manga did shorten a lot things.

a) Touma was trying to tell her he is also a level 0, just like the deliquents that were beaten up by Mikoto. Before that Mikoto said she won't use her rail gun on level 0 because they can be easily handled, but Touma nullifies her attack all the time. So she is going to use an even stronger attack on him nor his power.

b) Mikoto explained her rail gun because this is the first time she use it against Touma. The novel did mentioned they knew each other since half or one month ago, but it is not like they are going to meet each other everyday. Everytime they fight( basically Touma is just nullify the attacks and flees). But each time Mikoto attacks slowly becomes stronger and stronger attack. At the end she even uses her strongest skill- Rail gun and Thunder on Touma.
Just to clarify, the whole point of that post was to give reasons as to why I think the bridge was their first meeting, not because I didn't understand what was going on.

Anyway, Mikoto didn't "use" her Railgun against Touma, she merely demostrated it to him. I am aware that the novel says they've met before, but I could just as well say that in the manga, that scene was their first meeting. You say "Everytime they fight"as if they fought before the bridge scene. Clearly, if they had already fought beforehand, Mikoto, much like her second meeting with him, would have asked for a fight. She would have already knew he was a level 0. She didn't, which means she didn't know anything about him or his power.

Quote:
c) this is because Touma's ability is still an unknown to her. Which means that his power might be very strong if Touma becomes serious(though she is actually wrong...). If i remember, she is shocked when Touma threaten her that he is going to be serious, not when her attack was nullified.
Again I am only refering to the very first bridge scene. Though, looking at this scene again, I had it wrong. Her expressions changed(fear to anger) when he labeled them both as unfortunate, not when he blocked her attack.

Quote:
d) Basically, Mikoto begin her first conversation in the anime by questioning why is Touma trying to lure the delinquents away from her. The second time she 'greet' with different way because she is looking for Touma to continue their fight.
Which is why I stated that the bridge is their first real meeting. Since you know Mikoto through the novels, you should know her personality well. She would have acted differently if a) she met him before or b) fought him before. I accepted the theory that they had met before due to being given info from the novel by serebe, but now, I'm leaning toward that 'they didn't meet before'. If this was the case, why wouldn't she go after the delinquents and Touma during their first meeting(before the diner scene), then decide to go after the delinquents and Touma during their second meeting(diner & bridge)? Just doesn't make sense, especially considering the way Mikoto's personality is.
Old 2008-10-10, 13:19   Link #251
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
I accepted the theory that they had met before due to being given info from the novel by serebe, but now, I'm leaning toward that 'they didn't meet before'. If this was the case, why wouldn't she go after the delinquents and Touma during their first meeting(before the diner scene), then decide to go after the delinquents and Touma during their second meeting(diner & bridge)? Just doesn't make sense, especially considering the way Mikoto's personality is.
In the anime, Touma canceling Mikoto's attack on the bridge didn't surprise her; the attack was just her argument against Touma's insistence that he's a Level 0.

She seems a little more surprised by this in the main manga, but maybe that's just frustration. The Railgun-spinoff gives what is definitely a first meeting, with a different delinquent situation. At first I thought this was a slight alternate-continuity issue, but I guess they're compatible after all. Is the spinoff's version not in the novels?

Still wondering why Touma doesn't just make it clear (or at least keep clearly insisting) exactly what his power is so Mikoto will stop bothering him. Though the manga makes it seem like she just doesn't believe him, he should at least try a little more. Not going to click any novel spoilers, if they apply.
Old 2008-10-10, 15:30   Link #252
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
In the anime, Touma canceling Mikoto's attack on the bridge didn't surprise her; the attack was just her argument against Touma's insistence that he's a Level 0.
This would then mean that Mikoto knew Touma was a lv 0, and implying that a lv 0 couldn't block her attack. This would also mean that she attacked him before, meaning they fought and it would naturally become a stalemate. Though she hasn't been a focal char in the translated chap releases, based on what I know of her personality, she wouldn't have naturally just walked up all calm and composed, like on the bridge scene. She would have been more like "IT'S YOU!!!" and getting ready to attack, looked more excited to fight him and/or something similar to their second[anime] meeting as opposed to anything else. It's different than the novel because in the novel the bridge scene is read as their 2nd meeting. In the anime and manga, the bridge scene is shown as the first.

Quote:
Still wondering why Touma doesn't just make it clear (or at least keep clearly insisting) exactly what his power is so Mikoto will stop bothering him. Though the manga makes it seem like she just doesn't believe him, he should at least try a little more. Not going to click any novel spoilers, if they apply.
Because it wouldn't be as fun if Mikoto knew what was going on. All of the fun lies in the fact that she can't figure out his power and coming up with different strategies rather than trying to take advantage of some weak point .
Old 2008-10-10, 15:38   Link #253
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
She would have been more like "IT'S YOU!!!" and getting ready to attack, looked more excited to fight him and/or something similar to their second[anime] meeting as opposed to anything else. It's different than the novel because in the novel the bridge scene is read as their 2nd meeting.
Well, she had to follow him all the way from the restaurant, so I'd imagine she's not really surprised anymore. Anyway, it's a love-hate relationship, so let her flip-flop if she wants.

She can dish it. He can take it. They're perfect for each other.
Old 2008-10-10, 16:55   Link #254
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
Well, she had to follow him all the way from the restaurant, so I'd imagine she's not really surprised anymore. Anyway, it's a love-hate relationship, so let her flip-flop if she wants.

She can dish it. He can take it. They're perfect for each other.
Only problem is Touma's fridge can't take it . But she can definitely vent at him and he can be safe from getting hurt. An interesting duo at any rate.

Impressive how much discussion has gone on just about whether it was their first meeting or not and whether he was trying to save her or the delinquents.
Old 2008-10-10, 19:09   Link #255
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Not to interrupt on the current subject but I just wanted to add my first impressions so far.

Really, really, good OP. Kotoko or Mami singing there? I can't tell. Usually I can tell but for some reason it sounds like both at different points to me

As far as the show itself goes I like the premise but I'm hoping the lead isn't just another mega-dork who is only good in a pinch. I like that character-type I guess, but seen to many lately I could use a fresh new type of male lead for once.
Old 2008-10-10, 19:15   Link #256
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine-Tails-Nin View Post
I'm hoping the lead isn't just another mega-dork who is only good in a pinch
...Did you get any hint of that impression from the first episode? Because the pinches start from here on out, perhaps making the point moot.
Old 2008-10-10, 19:20   Link #257
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine-Tails-Nin View Post
Not to interrupt on the current subject but I just wanted to add my first impressions so far.

Really, really, good OP. Kotoko or Mami singing there? I can't tell. Usually I can tell but for some reason it sounds like both at different points to me

As far as the show itself goes I like the premise but I'm hoping the lead isn't just another mega-dork who is only good in a pinch. I like that character-type I guess, but seen to many lately I could use a fresh new type of male lead for once.
Mami, if I remember correctly.
Old 2008-10-10, 20:39   Link #258
hirahira
a duck is fine too

Yup, it's Mami. I have so much trouble telling the difference between them too
Old 2008-10-11, 01:34   Link #259
ThoHell

I'm liking this series so far....waiting for ep 2 is killing me!
Old 2008-10-11, 02:10   Link #260
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoHell View Post
I'm liking this series so far....waiting for ep 2 is killing me!
You're not alone.. It's be here soon. *Waits*
Closed Thread

Tags
fantasy, science fiction, shounen