AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2006-10-23, 13:45   Link #41
Dollyja

Location: http:scdja.20.forumer.com and http://freewebs.com/dolijah
Favorite Pokemon?

What is you favorite Pokemon? Mine's is Pikachu. (I hope this isn't in the wrong section. )
Dollyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 13:51   Link #42
Shay
Monarch Programmer

I don't think this is allowed.

Mines Charmander.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 14:10   Link #43
Dollyja

Location: http:scdja.20.forumer.com and http://freewebs.com/dolijah
I also like Voltorbs electric properties. I'm not up to date on this subject. My favorite Pokemon for battling was Mew, but that was on Pokemon Blue for Gameboy.
Dollyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-25, 00:49   Link #44
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Mines would be ............ . EVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Such a cute pokemon. Train it to be the strongest pokemon and never let it evolve .
Old 2007-07-19, 23:10   Link #45
Katsu Koneko
明日がある

Send a message via AIM to Katsu Koneko
Pokemon (Pocket Monsters)

"Pokemon Getto Daze!"

'ello everyone! Welcome to the Pokemon thread of Animesuki! Join in discussions of the 10 year running anime and have fun! Talk about the voice actors that made it come alive, the episodes/movies, and the singers of the opening and ending themes.

And be sure to put spoiler tags when you're talking about the latest Japanese episodes.

"STAGE ON!"

Currently there are 508 episodes of Pokemon as of today (7/19) and it reached it's tenth birthday on April 1st, 2007. There are three series, "Pokemon (Indigo - Jouto), Advance Generation (Hoenn - Kanto Battle Frontier), and the latest, Diamond and Pearl (Shinou)". Movie 10 was just released (7/14) and is number 1 in the Japan box office.

"Daijoubu Daijoubu!"

My favorite character is Satoshi/Ash, I just really love him. He's just so sweet and caring to his friends, mom, and his pokemon. It's hard not to love him unless they hate these attributes. Also, my favorite Pokemon is none other than Pikachu. It's just so cute and cuddly..well if it's not angry or evil. I've watch the anime since it first appeared on KidsWB and still continue to watch it through CN and from other sites.

So I declare this topic open!

DISCUSS and..POKEMON GETTO DAZE!

My AnimelistMy DeviantartMy Youtube
Index & Spinx banner Made by Pellissier / Keiichi & Rika Icon Made by Nabiki Asakura

Last edited by Katsu Koneko; 2007-07-22 at 20:02.
Katsu Koneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 01:24   Link #46
quina

Send a message via MSN to quina
quina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 02:00   Link #47
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by quina View Post
...........I guess it is understandable.........

As for Pokemon, I still watch it. Now Watching Diamond & Pearl. Though I've switched to watching the Japanese version. Hikari/Dawn is my favorite female protagonist so far ("daijoubu, daijoubu").
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 03:06   Link #48
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I suppose it has durability.

Problem is I don't know that anyone on the forum follows it (but I guess we'll see). Points to the OP for a nice opening post though
Old 2007-07-20, 03:58   Link #49
Katsu Koneko
明日がある

^ Pika thanks you for taking your time to post in this thread. ^^

I'm watching both the English and Japanese version of the series. I like to compare them. XD

Thanks for the compliment Vexx-san. ^^

Index & Spinx banner Made by Pellissier / Keiichi & Rika Icon Made by Nabiki Asakura
Old 2007-07-20, 11:38   Link #50
ItachiGT
Banned

OMG.........Pokemon.........LOL!

I watched the series for one year, as i was 13............Fortunately i dropped it!

This series, if you watch it longer, you will get dumb....no joke, the truth!
ItachiGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 12:25   Link #51
ghstwrld

Don't hate, pokemon is still enjoyable. It has a charm and spirit that no other show has been able to replicate.

Too bad the pokemon subbing scene is so janked. The pokemon dub on cartoon network is awful. These new VA's, espicallay satoshi's, are horrible.

By the way, the diamond and pearl games own my soul. I'm barely getting any of my university work done.
ghstwrld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 13:23   Link #52
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I see some threads were merged ... ouch.

Pokemon is just as durable as Hello Kitty and, in Japan at least, its a rite of passage for most small boys(children, they keep trying to lure girls in).

It wasn't until I'd seen a few raws, a few "forbidden episodes", and started noticing just how BAD the english dub scripts were that I realized that there was a more charming show being buried by American licensing idiocy.

So hand out the "donuts and pie" (sushi, mochi, nigiri, etc) and go to the "town carnival" (matsuri) passing by mostly unexplained ruins (shinto shrines or buddhist temples).
Old 2007-07-20, 16:41   Link #53
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
So hand out the "donuts and pie" (sushi, mochi, nigiri, etc) and go to the "town carnival" (matsuri) passing by mostly unexplained ruins (shinto shrines or buddhist temples).
Pokemon was aimed at the elementary school crowd.
Did they really want a show where almost every episode the viewer would go 'Whats a sushi' and their parents wouldn't know the answer? A show where they would demonstrate the lack of knowledge every day?

No, so donuts and pie win.

Now I haven't listened to the original plot of pokemon, (Let alone watched the psychoitc episode) so I don't know how bad the dub is, but the localization was intentional.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 17:57   Link #54
Katsu Koneko
明日がある

Whoa..what happened here? Weird.

Was there ever sushi? I only remember seeing mostly riceballs.

Old 2007-07-20, 18:20   Link #55
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
Pokemon was aimed at the elementary school crowd.
Did they really want a show where almost every episode the viewer would go 'Whats a sushi' and their parents wouldn't know the answer? A show where they would demonstrate the lack of knowledge every day?

No, so donuts and pie win.

Now I haven't listened to the original plot of pokemon, (Let alone watched the psychoitc episode) so I don't know how bad the dub is, but the localization was intentional.
Of course the localization was intentional, it was just lamely done as are many imported series "targeted at kids". That argument is a fairly lame defense of poor choices in localization - localization *can* be done well, it could have been "educational" with a moment at the end of each episode explaining what things were. "Hey kids, did you know what the gang was eating? ..."
Hell, they could have called them tacos or burritos... corndogs even... something a little more nutritional.
I was a parent of elementary school kids in the late 80s and 90s during the height of the Pokemon craze. Broadcasters were scrambling to find anything that could be labeled educational. Missed opportunity.

There were a number of episodes that didn't make it over... like the bikini contest episode with the male of team rocket crossdressing with inflatable boobs... and a few that probably should not have made it over (like one intrinsically Shinto ghost episode that occurred during a matsuri -- the dub was barely comprehensible because they were trying to localize it and failed).
Old 2007-07-20, 19:56   Link #56
Katsu Koneko
明日がある

XD The Bikini episode was pretty funny. We got to see Gary in a pink shirt and James with inflatable boobs.

BUUUUT! KidsWB aired it! 4kids decided to change the plot and cut the the James boob scene.

Old 2007-07-20, 23:35   Link #57
ghstwrld

Quote:
I see some threads were merged ... ouch.

Pokemon is just as durable as Hello Kitty and, in Japan at least, its a rite of passage for most small boys(children, they keep trying to lure girls in).

It wasn't until I'd seen a few raws, a few "forbidden episodes", and started noticing just how BAD the english dub scripts were that I realized that there was a more charming show being buried by American licensing idiocy.

Quote:
Of course the localization was intentional, it was just lamely done as are many imported series "targeted at kids". That argument is a fairly lame defense of poor choices in localization - localization *can* be done well, it could have been "educational" with a moment at the end of each episode explaining what things were. "Hey kids, did you know what the gang was eating? ..."
Hell, they could have called them tacos or burritos... corndogs even... something a little more nutritional.
I was a parent of elementary school kids in the late 80s and 90s during the height of the Pokemon craze. Broadcasters were scrambling to find anything that could be labeled educational. Missed opportunity.

There were a number of episodes that didn't make it over... like the bikini contest episode with the male of team rocket crossdressing with inflatable boobs... and a few that probably should not have made it over (like one intrinsically Shinto ghost episode that occurred during a matsuri -- the dub was barely comprehensible because they were trying to localize it and failed).
This man speaks truth. The dub is horrible. Its another anime that's been butchered and squandered by 4kids Entertainment (I'm still not over the One Piece debacle). Earlier this year, I was able to watch some of the original kanto episodes and a couple of the movies, and was pleasantly suprised. It's a totally different show.

When pokemon is on form, it reaches early disney/Studio Ghibli like greatness. I recall Satoshi Tajiri (pokemon creater) mentioning that being one of his goals with the IP and he's definitely succeeded.
ghstwrld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-21, 01:20   Link #58
Keruri
Like a falling star

Quote:
and a few that probably should not have made it over (like one intrinsically Shinto ghost episode that occurred during a matsuri -- the dub was barely comprehensible because they were trying to localize it and failed).
Episode 20? Feh.... I laughed. I was 6 when the episode first aired in America, and I still laughed at the terrible edits (though I'm biased because I saw the episode in Japanese).

That episode's dub had so many things wrong with it. The (really well) edited "penny" that they forgot to edit the hole out of? The ghost-repelling "stickers"? Editing out kanji in the kimono/taiko drum scenes? I'm just glad they didn't call the kimonos dresses.

A "hey kids, do you know what the gang was eating" segment would've made me die of laughter. I personally think they should've just called the rice balls and left it be, like in later episodes (not counting the few with the terribly pointless edits from onigiri to a sandwich).

Oh Katsu, we've spoken about episode 18 before and its terrible butchering. And we had our laughs about Shigeru and his pink hawaiian shirt. XD
Keruri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-21, 04:08   Link #59
Katsu Koneko
明日がある

Oh yeah that was a fun conversation. XD Yay onigiri to sandwich. I think my favorite one was "Donut".

Old 2007-07-22, 16:38   Link #60
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Today I have watched the fourtieth (40th) Pocket Monsters Diamond and Pearl episode, broadcasted the past week in Japan.

Spoiler:

I mark this episode with particular focus, because going way back to the very first series aired in Japan plus the Advanced Generation series and what has been so far televised in Diamond and Pearl, then this one would make the 508th episode of the entire anime franchise counting also all of the banned episodes that were aired only in Japan.

The number rings bells on me because that was the total number of episodes which comprise the whole Dragon Ball trilogy anime franchise.

The Dragon Ball trilogy ran in Japan from February 26th, 1986 to November 19, 1997 spawning 508 episodes in total, roughly equivalent to 11 years and 9 months.

Pocket Monsters anime started in Japan since April 15th, 1997 and the TV series remains ongoing as of today. Already broadcasting 508 episodes which would be equivalent roughly to 10 years and 4 months.

It took Pocket Monsters one year and five months less than the Dragon Ball trilogy to catch up with and outnumbering the latter in regards to the total amount of episodes televised in Japan.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote