AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Darker Than Black

Notices

View Poll Results: Darker Than Black II OAD - Episode 04 Rating
Perfect 10 19 35.19%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 24.07%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 22.22%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 9.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 5.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 3.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-30, 14:01   Link #21
Rima-Chan
lurker

Darker than black is one EPIC anime!! I'm gonna miss it!! T__T I loved this OVA
Old 2010-07-30, 17:07   Link #22
Tarantula Lady

Mechalord said:
QUOTE]How can Hei's story be over? It seems like it hasn't really ever started.[/QUOTE]

My husband said that the same thing. In classic film noir, the story begins with an anti-hero who has lost everything, which is currently a good description of Hei. In S1, he had a goal and some hope, i.e. find his sister. In S2, he had a goal but no hope, just kill Yin. Now, apparently, he has no one and nothing.

Oddly enough, I thought the difference between S1 and S2 was that Hei lost his innocence. I know that's a weird thing to say about a character who has been killing people since early adolescence, but I couldn't help but notice that Hei starts off flaunting his abilities by twirling daggers but ends without any sort of grandstanding behavior.

It seems like he's grown up and learned that the world isn't a fair place but you have to accept that harsh fact.
Old 2010-07-31, 09:28   Link #23
Sakabatou77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantula Lady View Post
Mechalord said:
QUOTE]How can Hei's story be over? It seems like it hasn't really ever started.

My husband said that the same thing. In classic film noir, the story begins with an anti-hero who has lost everything, which is currently a good description of Hei. In S1, he had a goal and some hope, i.e. find his sister. In S2, he had a goal but no hope, just kill Yin. Now, apparently, he has no one and nothing.

Oddly enough, I thought the difference between S1 and S2 was that Hei lost his innocence. I know that's a weird thing to say about a character who has been killing people since early adolescence, but I couldn't help but notice that Hei starts off flaunting his abilities by twirling daggers but ends without any sort of grandstanding behavior.

It seems like he's grown up and learned that the world isn't a fair place but you have to accept that harsh fact.
Good point!

Last edited by Sakabatou77; 2010-08-01 at 10:25.
Old 2010-08-01, 12:57   Link #24
Suimancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantQuiteGuess View Post
Spoiler for Hei:
Spoiler for Yin's wish...perhaps:

Quote:
He still had hope. Yin was turning into a monster, literally sucking the souls of living things around him. He would most definitely stop Yin from being a monster they do not want her to become. It was unfortunate that the only solution was to kill Yin, a perfect mirror with what Hei and Bai went through during the events prior to season 1. Hei and Yin’s final moments after Suou “died”, in my eyes did not show a hopeless situation ( ironic given Hei’s goal)but of mutual understanding between them. Hei is still alive with all the ‘memories” of his allies and loves ones. It is through living that he manifests their hopes for him and his hope for himself .
Quote:
His badassery in killing contractors were not done in an attempt to make the world a “better place” shounen style…His fights were not a exhibition of his battling skills (impressive nonetheless) but a surrender to the oppression that that he with his sister has experienced from the prescribed stigma of being a contractor. Given the protocol of the syndicate, they would most definitely M.E his memories, but he chose to fight alongside his sister instead, his love for Bai taking precedence over his morals. Through a “compromise”, he inhibited his emotions to be able to kill similar to a contractor’s innately suppressed emotions.
As such, I believe that the concept of the “world is unfair” was already painfully etched and accepted in Hei "before" S1. The difference was his manner in confronting such a harsh reality. S2 further pounded this reality with his separation from Yin and Suou, the saving grace being his losses were not met with heart wrenching defeat (infamous Hobo Hei) but of calm acceptance instead (a resolute Hei). Perhaps in essence, were saying the same thing .

PS: Was the gold figure indeed Shion? Could anyone who could read moon runes be able to confirm the presence of Shion and his V.A in the credits? Thanks a bunch.
Old 2010-08-01, 20:31   Link #25
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Oh man, that was crazy! The action was magnificent too. When that shock wave guy came and was blowing threw the walls, it was crazy.

I really hope they continue this series. At the very least, conclude everything with Yin.
Old 2010-08-01, 23:55   Link #26
Equidistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suimancer View Post
Spoiler for Yin's wish...perhaps:

He still had hope. Yin was turning into a monster, literally sucking the souls of living things around him. He would most definitely stop Yin from being a monster they do not want her to become. It was unfortunate that the only solution was to kill Yin, a perfect mirror with what Hei and Bai went through during the events prior to season 1. Hei and Yin’s final moments after Suou “died”, in my eyes did not show a hopeless situation ( ironic given Hei’s goal)but of mutual understanding between them. Hei is still alive with all the ‘memories” of his allies and loves ones. It is through living that he manifests their hopes for him and his hope for himself .

PS: Was the gold figure indeed Shion? Could anyone who could read moon runes be able to confirm the presence of Shion and his V.A in the credits? Thanks a bunch.
I can't really see the logic in Hei killing Yin at the end. She had already become Izanami, had already killed(or perhaps saved) countless people. I think Hei realized what Izanami(and Yin) were doing at the end. Taking the souls of contractors, dolls, humans, and giving them a new life on Shion's created Earth.

There are a lot of questions though. Yin says it's not too late, and once again asks Hei to kill her. What is this refering to, Shion's new Earth? The soul-sucking child left behind? Even though Yin says it's not to late to stop something, nothing actually changes. Earth 2.0 fades off in the distance, and Kaga-Tsuchi remains to kill the CIA agents. Another question is what part Hei was supposed to play in the prophecy. When Misaki listens to the tape left by Amber, Amber says if Izanami and Izanagi meet Hei will...We never find out what Hei would do. I theorized earlier that it's possible Hei actually created the child left behind by extracting whatever was in Yin and somehow transferring it, however that's just my wild guess.

As for the gold child being Shion, I really doubt it. Yin first merges with it during the time Hei is choosing the third option, and Yin is left behind inside the gate. In episode 3 of the OVA Yin mentions that whenever the thing feels Hei is near it tries to talk to her, and in OVA 4 the thing asks Yin why no one else has been able to hear it yet, and refers to itself as "we". It's something that came from the gate, and there's never been enough information about the gates to figure out what it is.
Old 2010-08-02, 15:03   Link #27
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Hei is a soldier, fighting a one man war.

Darker than Black, A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist. Hei, a young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless in a world of criminals who operate above the law…
Old 2010-08-02, 17:25   Link #28
Sakabatou77

Lightbulb

Quote:
I can't really see the logic in Hei killing Yin at the end. She had already become Izanami, had already killed(or perhaps saved) countless people. I think Hei realized what Izanami(and Yin) were doing at the end. Taking the souls of contractors, dolls, humans, and giving them a new life on Shion's created Earth.
I don't think Izanami was collecting souls for the new Earth. If that's the case, then majority of the population in the world is dead. Including Misuzu. No. The new Earth and everybody on it was copied by Shion. That's all. He died at the end because he used all his power to do it.
Old 2010-08-02, 22:17   Link #29
Equidistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakabatou77 View Post
I don't think Izanami was collecting souls for the new Earth. If that's the case, then majority of the population in the world is dead. Including Misuzu. No. The new Earth and everybody on it was copied by Shion. That's all. He died at the end because he used all his power to do it.
If Shion copied the actual people, then wouldn't everyone have reversed genders, due to Shion's copies always having a flaw?
Old 2010-08-03, 03:29   Link #30
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

That was BS... we never got to see "Shichi's" real form. We never got a good look at his face.

A movie wouldn't do the series justice. There are plot holes that need to be filled. The fate of one of the contractors from season 1 was still left up in the air. The OAV generated more questions that it answered. Ok, we know how we got from season 1 to season 2 but....

This show needs another season.
Old 2010-08-03, 05:49   Link #31
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
If Shion copied the actual people, then wouldn't everyone have reversed genders, due to Shion's copies always having a flaw?
The gender isn't the only thing that can be different about a person. I'm sure other minor details (you might overlook) are also valid for Shion's power.
Thus, they probably didn't bother showing any obvious or great changes to people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord
That was BS... we never got to see "Shichi's" real form. We never got a good look at his face.

A movie wouldn't do the series justice. There are plot holes that need to be filled. The fate of one of the contractors from season 1 was still left up in the air. The OAV generated more questions that it answered. Ok, we know how we got from season 1 to season 2 but....

This show needs another season.
I would have also liked to see his original face, though that doesn't bother me much. Besides, he had really no reason to show his face so it's okay.

A movie would be cool nevertheless.
And the major plotholes could be partly filled up with another season, and I have a lot of faith and hope for that to happen.
Old 2010-08-03, 16:53   Link #32
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
PS: the chinese contractor was badass.
Which one?

The Chinese Electric Batman contractor...or that crazy martial arts contractor who diced the wall into little cubes and could use some form of telekinesis?
Old 2010-08-03, 22:09   Link #33
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Finally. They need to make a new movie now. From the director of Batman Begins, "Pedo Hei Begins"

Anyway, I liked this OVA. Action was great, reminded me of Season 1. My favorite part would have to be after Hei throws the bottle. The CIA woman says 'She is still alive you know' And Hei's eyes grow big and he is like 'hell ye'
Old 2010-08-04, 07:07   Link #34
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intranetusa View Post
Which one?

The Chinese Electric Batman contractor...or that crazy martial arts contractor who diced the wall into little cubes and could use some form of telekinesis?
Both of course!

I loved the way their fight was animated. It looked incredible.
Old 2010-08-04, 07:20   Link #35
Suimancer

Quote:
Yin’s further existence would further escalate the “death” toll of both humans and contractors. Whether it was killing or saving, she was not happy with what she was doing. Would you want your loved one to be the cause of more “deaths”?
I believe Madam Oreile already spilled the Beans to Hei way back in ep 10. There was prophetic meaning in his dialogues about and with Suou. Especially when he seems to already know what fate awaits Suou during their final scene together. Just a theory though
Quote:
There are a lot of questions though. Yin says it's not too late, and once again asks Hei to kill her. What is this refering to, Shion's new Earth? The soul-sucking child left behind? Even though Yin says it's not to late to stop something, nothing actually changes. Earth 2.0 fades off in the distance, and Kaga-Tsuchi remains to kill the CIA agents.
Perhaps this suggest that Yin has yet to fully evolve or change, killing her then would stop her from truly becoming something she does not want to become.

Quote:
Another question is what part Hei was supposed to play in the prophecy. When Misaki listens to the tape left by Amber, Amber says if Izanami and Izanagi meet Hei will...We never find out what Hei would do. I theorized earlier that it's possible Hei actually created the child left behind by extracting whatever was in Yin and somehow transferring it, however that's just my wild guess.
I believe Madam Oreille made use of Hei to aid in the fulfillment of the prophecy. Ordering him to shoot Yin , perhaps was not meant to kill Yin but damage her container instead, leading to her continual awakening. We are not sure how definitive the Mitaka documents or Amber’s prediction are. As we have seen, different parties were either aiding or hindering the prophecies. They could likely lead to changes to the future that the two sources stated beforehand.

Quote:
I would like to add that the personalities and memories of the residents of the new Earth came from the M.E database containing the memories of M.E’ed people and the doll’s collective intelligence network. I theorize that Yin used her soul sucking abilities to transfer said memories into the copies. As for Suou and July, Yin made use of their newly sucked souls instead.
Old 2010-08-04, 18:16   Link #36
Sakabatou77

Lightbulb

Quote:
No, they had something differnt to them. It doesn't mean they would all be different genders. Maybe the new Suou is shorter, or her eyes are different. They never said gender would change. It just so happened that when Shion copied himself, he turned himself into a she.

You can say memories were placed in the new world's occupants, but I'm not buying that Izanami walked around at least Tokyo sucking up souls to place in new bodies. Here's my evidence. Suou's dad was killed by bleeding to death, not buy Izanami, and he was on the new world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suimancer
I would like to add that the personalities and memories of the residents of the new Earth came from the M.E database containing the memories of M.E’ed people and the doll’s collective intelligence network. I theorize that Yin used her soul sucking abilities to transfer said memories into the copies. As for Suou and July, Yin made use of their newly sucked souls instead.
Plausible, but where did Suou's dad get his memory?

I'm not saying these claims are wrong, it's just that 1 thing that doesn't add up, and if this was all true, then everybody in Tokyo is dead. That's one empty city now.

Last edited by Sakabatou77; 2010-08-04 at 20:59.
Old 2010-08-05, 21:08   Link #37
Crontica

Quote:

Tell that to Furude Rika and see how far you get. Hei is practically fighting for a reason to live otherwise he'd committed suicide long time ago.
Old 2010-08-06, 01:04   Link #38
Suimancer

Quote:
No, they had something differnt to them. It doesn't mean they would all be different genders. Maybe the new Suou is shorter, or her eyes are different. They never said gender would change. It just so happened that when Shion copied himself, he turned himself into a she.

You can say memories were placed in the new world's occupants, but I'm not buying that Izanami walked around at least Tokyo sucking up souls to place in new bodies. Here's my evidence. Suou's dad was killed by bleeding to death, not buy Izanami, and he was on the new world.

Plausible, but where did Suou's dad get his memory?

I'm not saying these claims are wrong, it's just that 1 thing that doesn't add up, and if this was all true, then everybody in Tokyo is dead. That's one empty city now.
I mentioned that Shion and Yin made use of the M.E database. The people looking for Suou M.E'd her real, also dead father during the latter episodes.
Old 2010-08-06, 04:55   Link #39
Sakabatou77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suimancer View Post
I mentioned that Shion and Yin made use of the M.E database. The people looking for Suou M.E'd her real, also dead father during the latter episodes.
Oops, read your statement wrong. But that's a lot to do with everybody in the city. Oh well.
Old 2010-08-07, 00:30   Link #40
Ansalem
Speaker

An excellent conclusion to this set of OVAs, albeit obviously a sad ending we all knew was coming. As with some others, the last few seconds of the episode were the strongest part for me. If only there were more to look forward to.