AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-29, 17:37   Link #361
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I wonder if the current generation will consider Yamato a character of its own? There has always been a sort of Soul of Yamato. I wonder if that will play any part in the new show.
The Yamato represents the efforts of the whole crew — the sum of humanity — so, I'm sure that it will show through.

Quote:
The Star Blazers dub changed it slightly with the term "Star Force" replacing the word "Yamato" in most cases, making the crew the star, where Yamato seems more the star in Japanese.
Originally, the show was to be titled "Star Force", but that was considered too close to "Star Wars", so they changed it to "Star Blazers".

Quote:
That and I really hope they do Dessler well. He was always such an interesting person, with either the Japanese or English voice. Now that they have his potential future to work with... and wonder what they will do with it?
We'll see... (crossing fingers)
Old 2012-04-30, 18:24   Link #362
HighGuard

Weird that I can't seem to find torrents for this show, am I missing something
HighGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 18:46   Link #363
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well at this time, only those that saw it in the theaters (or had someone go see it in a theater for them) were able to purchase the limited edition blu-ray for episode 1 and 2.

For those that didn't or couldn't get to a theater, the Blu-ray and DVD for those episodes will be out on May 25th.

Episodes 3, 4, 5, and 6 will come out in the theaters on June 30th. (with BD and DVDs released on July 27th).

No word yet on when the third episode group (7, 8, 9, and 10) will come out, though I assume August or maybe September.

There will be 26 episodes total, in seven theater releases.

Only Episode One was shown outside a theater so far.
Old 2012-04-30, 19:36   Link #364
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineCorps View Post
Weird that I can't seem to find torrents for this show, am I missing something
There's a torrent for episode 1 because it was televised. Episode 2 will probably pop up only after the retail DVD/Blu-Ray's come out on May 25th.
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 19:59   Link #365
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
There's a torrent for episode 1 because it was televised. Episode 2 will probably pop up only after the retail DVD/Blu-Ray's come out on May 25th.
As Ithekro said, both the BD & DVD of Vol. 1 were sold at the ten theaters — as an exclusive — with the BD selling out at all ten in as many days. So, these are already out there, and my copy of the BD has doing heavy rotation in my BD Player since April 9th.
Old 2012-05-01, 13:11   Link #366
August138

Starblazers.com has posted an update on their YAMATO: 2199 coverage! Here's a sample:

The armament consists of three main gun turrets, each equipped with three 48cm positron shock cannons. Two subturrets, each equipped with three 20cm positron shock cannons, serve as secondary weapons. The main batteries fire beams or solid rounds (three sets of fusion bullets). These are selected depending on the target and battle situation. Unlike the positronic guns that were equipped on previous space navy vessels, the use of Wave-Motion energy made it possible to miniaturize the firing mechanism, and automatic fire also became possible. Antiaircraft pulse lasers are placed on both sides, and the bow and stern are each equipped with six torpedo tubes. The rear bridge deck is equipped with an 8-missile firing tower, 8 torpedo tubes on either side, and a missile launcher beneath the ship that can operate as a VLS (Vertical Launch System) during diving action.

Last edited by August138; 2012-05-01 at 13:12. Reason: adding link
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 16:04   Link #367
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

These shock cannons certainly are interesting. I notice that both the main and sub turrets are about a size larger than the guns on the historical Yamato. Probably sized up along with the ship when they scaled it up for this series.

The shock cannons are interesting. They can switch from firing beams or shell ammunition? Was that a feature from the original series? What's the tactical advantage of each of these? I suppose the beams could be faster than the shells, giving them longer range for stand off duels, while Fuision shells would have more firepower for close in engagements.

Automatic fire sounds rather intimidating, though somehow I can't quite see them firing off the main turrets like machine guns.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 17:09   Link #368
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The later films introduced a "Wave Motion Cartridge" to the shock cannons. They were suppose to have roughly 1% of the destructive power of the improved Wave Motion Gun. It seemed to be a option for cases were they either needed to penetrate ultra-thick armor (that the Shock Cannons energy beams, and sometimes even the Wave Motion Gun, could not penetrate), or in instances were the Wave Motion Gun would take too long to charge...such as if they were under heavy fire. The cartridges also acted like standard real world shells (in a gravity enviroment....) as they would arc over obstructions in some instances, allowing for indirect fire.

My guess it these Fusion shells are predecessors to the Wave Motion Shells. I also guess that is what they used to down the Gamilon carrier in episode 2.

Automactic fire likely means either a faster fire rate (look up the differences between the 8 inch guns on the American Baltimore class cruisers and the Des Moines class cruisers. The Des Moines had auto loading guns that has twice the rate of fire of the earlier guns...or seven rounds per gun per minute.) or that they can be fired without a gunnery crew from the bridge.

48 cm is around 19 inches. The "Super Yamato" class of battleship was suppose to have 20 inch guns (51 cm), while Yamato and her sister Musashi has 18.1 inch guns (46 cm). The secondary has been upped from her original 155 mm cannons (originally taken from the Mogami class crusiers when they were refitted from "light cruisers" to "heavy cruisers" and swapping the triple 155 cm guns for twin 20 cm guns) for triple 20 cm guns. The move bumps Yamato's guns from the traditional "light cruiser" guns to 'heavy cruiser" guns...or the same size as the new UNCF cruiser's guns.
Old 2012-05-01, 17:52   Link #369
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Silly Yamato, there isn't any gravity in space =P

Though 1% of the wave motion gun? When the wave motion gun is something that was able to devastate an entire planet? Sounds like nuclear 48cm guns.
Old 2012-05-01, 17:56   Link #370
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Enough for a broadside to destroy a large space station.
Old 2012-05-02, 01:30   Link #371
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Silly Yamato, there isn't any gravity in space =P
The Yamato does engage targets in atmospheres...
Old 2012-05-02, 04:02   Link #372
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Maybe there are Cannon launched guided projectiles. Or maybe the Japanese just like to make it look more historical naval. Or they like drawing arcs over starfields.

At least they had a spotter aircraft for landing the shells on target. (this was in Final Yamato)
Old 2012-05-02, 04:41   Link #373
macdawson

The previews for episode's 2 and 3.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17705586

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17705461
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 10:39   Link #374
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Maybe there are Cannon launched guided projectiles. Or maybe the Japanese just like to make it look more historical naval. Or they like drawing arcs over starfields.

At least they had a spotter aircraft for landing the shells on target. (this was in Final Yamato)
Or perhaps they are a science-fiction version of the M982 Excalibur laser-guided artillery shell, but with verniers instead of fins.
Old 2012-05-02, 12:42   Link #375
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Oh wow. Yamato and Kirishima in space at the same time.

The method of warping looks a bit different. Actually it looks sort of like the warping in one of the Harlock series, or probably more like the warping in Yamato 2520.

(No image since it looks better moving)

Also the Episode 2 preview I think proves that Japan is not alone on the planet. You can see a scene with what looks like representatives from other countries or orginizations discussing (likely the plan to send Yamato out to Iscandar). There is a UN, a ME (I think Middle East judging by his hair and features), a USA, a EU and one other that I can't see were he is from by my guess is China.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-05-02 at 14:51. Reason: Images
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 15:50   Link #376
August138

China and Asia are now "Eurasia".
Old 2012-05-03, 02:36   Link #377
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Does mean there is at least five "regional powers" left as will as the overall shell that is the United Nations. Japan being territorially the smallest of these. It is still at best a Interplanetary Power with Luna and Mars involved with Earth's remaining powers. Add to this maybe terraformed Pluto, depending on what the humans can do with it post-war.

Of course after Yamato returns the Earth could classify as at least a minor Stellar Power, as they will have interstellar capable ships (one assumes they will figure out how to make more Wave Motion Engines by 2201) and some rather powerful weaponry in the form of the Wave Motion Gun. Though with the potental changes, we have no idea just what Yamato's voyage will ultimately do to the Greater Gamilas Empire.
Old 2012-05-03, 05:42   Link #378
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Well there's only so much you can do in the middle of a hostile target rich environment, with a ship loaded with mega death beam spam.
Old 2012-05-03, 14:06   Link #379
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

A girl can dream I suppose: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=26993253

No idea what she is saying, but Nurse Captain is not all that far out of the picture. Considering were Yuki ended up by the 2009 film.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-05-03 at 14:31.
Old 2012-05-07, 12:16   Link #380
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Bandai Channel is showing "Chapter 1" starting today:
http://yamato2199.net/distribution/index.html

Though not available in say the United States.

EDIT:

Side note: The Japanese Wiki for Yamato 2199 says there were 21 Earth ships at the Battle at Pluto. 1 Battleship, 8 cruisers, and 12 destroyers.
Up against a Gamilas force of 1 Dreadnought, 7 battleships, 22 battle cruisers, and at least 90 destroyers.

The Earth force was outnumbered by at least Six to One. After being outclassed in terms of size and technology.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-05-07 at 16:57. Reason: Earth Fleet at Pluto

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato