AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-11, 08:35   Link #1
ReddyRedWolf

History's Strongest Disciple (The original manga)

Tatakae!! Ryōzanpaku Shijō Saikyō no Deshi

Fight! Ryōzanpaku History's Strongest Disciple

What is its relation to History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi?

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi manga is a remake of Tatakae! Ryōzanpaku Shijō Saikyō no Deshi ( lit. Fight! Ryōzanpaku, History's Strongest Disciple), which was serialized in the monthly manga magazine Shōnen Sunday Super, publishing five tankōbon between 2000 and 2002.

Spoiler for cover:

Quote:
This series relates the story of a peaceful yet weak boy, who one day, after being beaten up really bad by some of his school comrades, decides that being bullied around isn't an option anymore. Seeking revenge on his bullies, the young boy, Shirahama Kenichi, decides to join a fighting dojo. But what he doesn't know is that the dojo he wants to join is actually a place of gathering for those who have mastered different types of fighting styles. Thus begins his journey...

NOTE: This is the orignal story that "Historys Strongest Disciple Kenichi" is based on.
Interestingly besides Shigure there is another master alluded in Ryozanpaku. I like Takeda more than proto-Takeda. Also Proto-Nijima pretty much hides his alien-devil persona well. But still a bad friend.

Edit:
Differences of Tatakae!! Ryōzanpaku with the Kenichi manga.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenichi...y.C5.8Dzanpaku

The wiki link contains spoilers don't click if you don't want to be spoiled.

Last edited by ReddyRedWolf; 2009-03-11 at 14:01.
Old 2009-03-11, 12:53   Link #2
yongshun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Spoiler for cover:

Interestingly besides Shigure there is another master alluded in Ryozanpaku. I like Takeda more than proto-Takeda. Also Proto-Nijima pretty much hides his alien-devil persona well. But still a bad friend.
Yeah but I think they were talking about Miu only because they showed her as one of the masters that is from Ryosanpaku.
Old 2009-03-11, 14:03   Link #3
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

What ? its a remake ? original story ? History's strongest disciple Kenichi is not already the original story ?
Old 2009-03-11, 14:18   Link #4
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
What ? its a remake ? original story ? History's strongest disciple Kenichi is not already the original story ?
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi is a reboot of Fight! Ryōzanpaku History's Strongest Disciple.

While the premise and most of the characters are the same the storyline has differences with its succesor spin-off.

You'll notice also how the art is well... crappier than the Kenichi manga.

Shows how the original idea was reformulated and the mangaka did better character designs for the Kenichi manga.

Yes this is the version the mangaka would rather forget.
Old 2009-03-11, 14:42   Link #5
NoLongerSane

Just a quick question, but how many volumes are in this original series? I can not remeber if there were 5 or 6. Anyway, I thought this series was a fun read. It is amazing that the mangaka improve on his work for the current rendition we are reading right now.
Old 2009-03-11, 14:49   Link #6
ReddyRedWolf

Five volumes from 2000 to 2002.
Old 2009-03-11, 15:11   Link #7
NoLongerSane

That is cool. I remember having the raws of these volumes on my computer before they were lost. Didn't the mangaka show the improvements he made in one of his HSDK volumes by having a comparison between the characters of this series with the one he has right now. One of the characters he changed in the art form was Takada, which I thougt was interesting.
Old 2009-03-11, 17:49   Link #8
Cinocard

Old news. But I think just recently a group is translating this? Stumbled upon this years ago, when HSDK was just serialized. Never read it though, because of how muscular Miu is on the cover
Old 2009-03-11, 21:27   Link #9
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinocard View Post
Old news. But I think just recently a group is translating this? Stumbled upon this years ago, when HSDK was just serialized. Never read it though, because of how muscular Miu is on the cover
Why did you think the mangaka did a reboot?

I can't wait to see the earlier versions of the Kenichi cast. Especially Shigure.

Young Elder cracks me up with the Dojo hunting.
Old 2009-03-12, 06:50   Link #10
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Lol ok i understand , yeah , i watched the first chapter omg the design ... , well i keep on Kenichi its better .
Old 2009-03-12, 22:22   Link #11
ReddyRedWolf

Well I'll be... Honoka isn't a brat in this.
Old 2009-03-12, 22:32   Link #12
yongshun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Well I'll be... Honoka isn't a brat in this.
She also looks a little older in this one
Old 2009-03-13, 13:30   Link #13
NoLongerSane

Quote:
Originally Posted by yongshun View Post
She also looks a little older in this one
I am trying to figure out why she was made into a loli in the current series and not kept as she from this series.
Old 2009-03-13, 13:49   Link #14
yongshun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLongerSane View Post
I am trying to figure out why she was made into a loli in the current series and not kept as she from this series.
Because they needed a Loli in every Shounen Manga?
Old 2009-03-13, 15:36   Link #15
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Because HermitxHonoka wouldn't be as amusing?

Here she stands out more like a bro-con.

I'm judging here Kenichi and Honoka has a one year gap instead of three.

But the mangaka does like to draw her a bit older in the covers of the Kenichi manga.
Old 2009-03-13, 16:24   Link #16
NoLongerSane

Just a question about the manga
Spoiler for Upcoming story:
Old 2009-03-15, 04:01   Link #17
yongshun

Wow Kenichi is pretty badass in this one. He isn't like that wimpy guy in the current one but still pretty wimpy but man the way he tortured that guy and LOL him dragging the guy by his nose ring and singing the song to "Dog of Flanders" and giving the guy a new nickname. Honoka looks pretty cute in this one as well protecting his brother and everyone favorite Kisara prototype makes an appearance.
Old 2009-03-15, 08:01   Link #18
ultimateking

Quote:
Just a question about the manga
Spoiler for Upcoming story:
that'll be the 5th volume
Old 2009-03-15, 12:46   Link #19
aesthetic
Violinist/Pianist

i think i like this remake better.. although i would miss the alien nijima (he's damn human here?!) well.. but kenichi looks a bit stronger here compared to the early chapters of the older version.. miu had a slight change here.. especially when she goes umm.. how should i call it? "somewhat evil" mode.
Old 2009-03-15, 13:38   Link #20
yongshun

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetic View Post
i think i like this remake better.. although i would miss the alien nijima (he's damn human here?!) well.. but kenichi looks a bit stronger here compared to the early chapters of the older version.. miu had a slight change here.. especially when she goes umm.. how should i call it? "somewhat evil" mode.
This isn't a remake this is the original HSDK, the new one is the one that has an anime based of it is the remake.
Closed Thread