AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-04-25, 01:19   Link #61
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Yeah I'm starting to notice. Ano Hana is DVD and so is Panty and Stocking.....

It seems the only way to get Blu-Ray (in the coming future), is to import.
If you're talking the US version of Ano Hana, NIS America lists it as a Bluray/DVD combo pack on their site. There's a few NIS releases like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
If this was made in response to my point about the difference between SD and HD content being huge if you have an HDTV, my point still stands with computer monitors. Basically the difference between watching SD and HD content is easily noticeable on any device with a lot more pixels than SD content has.
There's two factors that really affect how perceptible the difference between SD and HD is: screen size and viewing distance. In many cases, the effect is actually more noticeable on a PC monitor due to viewing distance. Though personally I feel there are factors more important to video quality than resolution. I wish I could say that it was only fansubs that suffer from crappy encoding but that clearly isn't the case - poor mastering affects quite a few older R1 DVDs. Not sure about newer DVD and Bluray releases.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 01:46   Link #62
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Oh right I forgot about that part. Panty and Stocking is feared to be DVD only though...
Old 2012-04-25, 13:28   Link #63
TJR

In general, producers are losing interest in selling anime DVDs/BDs as low cost, mass market items.

Demand just isn't at a level they're happy with (in recent years, partnering with Funimation, Sentai, Bandai Entertainment, etc. has provided little benefit), so they'd rather back off and be a bit more aggressive about protecting the value of their properties.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 10:29   Link #64
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

The US should have had it's own region code. Whoever decided otherwise needs a slap.

They can still fix it too. You update the blu-ray player software and you're done. There would be some specifics to work out, but it's possible. Unless of course, there is some stupid part of the design that breaks my logic, lol.
Old 2012-04-26, 11:07   Link #65
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
The US should have had it's own region code. Whoever decided otherwise needs a slap.
I recall people bitching a few years back because we were Region 1 and they were Region 2. Now there's bitching because we're both Region A.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 11:24   Link #66
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Blu-Ray was a blessing cause it only had three regions (almost regionless). Now I can import.
Old 2012-04-26, 11:46   Link #67
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

If Steins;gate isn't being released on Blu-ray...ima be so pissed.
Old 2012-04-27, 18:34   Link #68
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I recall people bitching a few years back because we were Region 1 and they were Region 2. Now there's bitching because we're both Region A.
People will bitch either way. But from a business stand point, they should be different. And let's face it... it's all about the money.
Old 2012-04-27, 19:00   Link #69
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

It could be the incentives run the other way, you know. I'm sure there's more interest among the Japanese in watching Hollywood films than the reverse.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 05:20   Link #70
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I know that there's no simple answer to this problem, reverse importation and all. Just saw this image and thought that it was appropriate for this thread.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 07:00   Link #71
Asf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post

I know that there's no simple answer to this problem, reverse importation and all. Just saw this image and thought that it was appropriate for this thread.
But "no extras" is wrong.
The Bakemonogatari discs come with with soundtrack CDs, character theme song CDs, character epilogue CDs, end-card pinups, extended-length episode previews, textless OP/EDs, character audio commentary written by the novel author, and new video for the character audio commentary showing the characters as they watch the show.
Asf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 07:21   Link #72
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asf View Post
But "no extras" is wrong.
The Bakemonogatari discs come with with soundtrack CDs, character theme song CDs, character epilogue CDs, end-card pinups, extended-length episode previews, textless OP/EDs, character audio commentary written by the novel author, and new video for the character audio commentary showing the characters as they watch the show.
I see. Then the person who made that image simply didn't do the research. Forgive me for posting it.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 08:04   Link #73
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
It could be the incentives run the other way, you know. I'm sure there's more interest among the Japanese in watching Hollywood films than the reverse.
Japan also has a much more favorable exchange rate so it is lot cheaper for them to buy from us than vice versa.

I don't buy BR from Japan but I buy figures and the exchange rate hurts.
Old 2012-04-28, 13:26   Link #74
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

However, even with all the "Extras" - that's a killer for any significant sales in the US. They'd have to be able to explain successfully that these are LOW VOLUME HIGH COLLECTIBLE items and build a small market of US patrons that would sign up for this. Unfortunately, the digital cat is out of the bag on that notion. And they'd have to provide english subtitles...
Old 2012-04-28, 22:25   Link #75
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post

It's how anime production companies make their money, deal with it.

I know it sucks, being used to R1 BD/DVD prices, but either deal with R1 anime or don't complain about the import prices :x
Old 2012-04-28, 22:54   Link #76
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

It's also an unfair comparison since movies have already earned box-office revenues both here and abroad, so they can afford to price the DVD releases much more cheaply than anime shows.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 00:42   Link #77
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I agree its a false comparison... yet "Joe and Jane Average" will make their choices on exactly that false comparison.

That's why I think the anime producers are better off realizing they're a niche collector market outside of Japan (just like they are *in* Japan). These are collectibles... like those $150 plastic dolls *cough* PVC-figures that adorn my office. There's a huge market in "$30" DVD average resolution packs (see Funimation & Rightstuf) but the quality Blu-ray whatnot is likely to be priced for the blueblood "don't care what it cost" people.
Old 2012-04-29, 02:02   Link #78
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I think it's also worth doing a "Japanese market price to Japanese market price" comparison rather than simply doing a Japanese to American price comparison.

On Amazon.co.jp, the bluray boxes for LOTR are it's around $135 US for the theatrical cut and $260 US for the extended. Compare to $60 for the US Bluray of the extended edition on Amazon.com. That's an unusually high differential from what I can see though: the complete Star Wars bluray package is $150 compared to $90 in the US, while a "priced down reissue" of Inception on Bluray is priced in the low $20s in Japan on Amazon.co.jp compared to $13 for the US version on Amazon.com.

EDIT: let's through some Japanese TV series in: remember the 12 episode live action of GTO? $235 on DVD, though it uses one hour episodes rather than half hour ones like anime. The Nodame Cantabile live action of similar length is $215. Both would appear to be priced much higher than American live action shows... a Japanese box set for all four seasons of heroes is under $110.

On the anime side, the bluray for volume one of Nisemonogatari (two episodes) is $63 and the second (three episodes) is $76. So bank on an overall series cost of around $328 US for the whole series (four two episode volumes plus one three episode). Slightly cheaper than most because it's only 11 episodes. The original Bakemonogatari, at 15 episodes, is available for $270 in box form - the original release would have cost more - I'd guess over $400. Looking at some slightly older shows, Sola (which came out in 2007) is available in a priced down box set for $70 (more than twice what I paid for my R1s a few years back), thought the upcoming Bluray rerelease will be around $240.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.

Last edited by 0utf0xZer0; 2012-04-29 at 02:42.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 06:22   Link #79
Kirarakim

You wonder if anyone but the most serious collector buys movies/TV series in Japan. Their prices are outrageous.

The only thing I can think to compare here is the Criterion Collection which releases great transfers of classics/foreign films/art house films, etc with loads of extras. They are more expensive on average than your regular DVD/BR but even they don't match the Japanese price system.

And even if the standard of living is higher in Japan (which I expect it is) those are still some crazy prices.
Old 2012-04-29, 15:40   Link #80
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Thing is, though, the industry is only able to stay alive because of those insane prices. Going lower is simply unprofitable, because the amount of people they'd get in addition to the hardcore collectors is (from what I've read) negligible.

Maybe if anime was treated like any other TV show, ratings and advertising would make it possible to sell BDs/DVDs at lower prices. However, since it costs money to have anime aired on TV, that loss of money has to be entirely recouped by disc sales (and probably additional merchandise).

And I think it's safe to say that the Japanese collectors are not only fine with it, but wouldn't want it any other way. DVDs/BDs are collectibles to them, not so much media to watch and therefor worth every yen they invest in them.

Tags
blu-ray, international, kadokawa, restriction