AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-05-14, 14:24   Link #81
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I guess "arranged marriage" means more than one thing to me. The "have my daughter for four cows and some land"? Yeah, slavery.

The "she's a nice girl, ya'll should talk" sort of matchmaking? Or the 'choose from this list please'? That's still an 'arranged marriage' but the rights of the individual versus the needs of the community make "fairness" a little murkier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
OK... the way you put it is the same that my sister dreams the perfect guy, so I guess you should start looking for dudes, not girls... assuming some kind of gender differences still exist where you live... don't get me wrong but all attributes you look for are quite masculine (generally speaking), while your contribution to the relationship is quite feminine (again after a quick read and without context).
Wait... how is a witty sense of humor or being able to carry on an intelligent conversation "masculine"?

Think carefully before you answer

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-05-14 at 15:45. Reason: merge double-post
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 14:36   Link #82
Ridwan

How about "two socialite old ladies with fans that sip tea befriended each other due to they being old ladies with fans that sip tea and then found out that perhaps their kids would be cute together since they had tripped a flag apparently and the other old lady was wife of a brigadier general" ?
Old 2013-05-14, 15:44   Link #83
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridwan View Post
How about "two socialite old ladies with fans that sip tea befriended each other due to they being old ladies with fans that sip tea and then found out that perhaps their kids would be cute together since they had tripped a flag apparently and the other old lady was wife of a brigadier general" ?
Either I'm lacking in comprehension or you are high on tea. Because that did not make sense to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I guess "arranged marriage" means more than one thing to me. The "have my daughter for four cows and some land"? Yeah, slavery.

The "she's a nice girl, ya'll should talk" sort of matchmaking? Or the 'choose from this list please'? That's still an 'arranged marriage' but the rights of the individual versus the needs of the community make "fairness" a little murkier.
The 'choose from a list' is the most bizarre one to me. It's like you are shopping for computer or something.

"Don't like the configuration of this piece? Next..." (pardon the bit of hyperbole)

The parents mean well most of the time but, it doesn't come off very good.

Last edited by Eragon; 2013-05-14 at 19:41.
Eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 16:59   Link #84
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Some of my Vietnamese friends had the annoying experience of having their parents arrange for "good candidates" to come visit, often without notice. A couple of them related locking themselves in their room until the poor sod went away.

A Chinese friend of mine, her grandmother went through stages over a ten year period - "Marry this Chinese boy, I like him." -- "Marry a Chinese boy." -- "Please get married to someone!"

Then she married the guy she'd been dating all along.
Old 2013-05-14, 18:54   Link #85
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
You really need to cute down on your onee-san fetish.
I don't have an onee-san fetish. What are you talking about.

I don't have a imouto fetish either! Stop trying to ruin my reputation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Some of my Vietnamese friends had the annoying experience of having their parents arrange for "good candidates" to come visit, often without notice. A couple of them related locking themselves in their room until the poor sod went away.

A Chinese friend of mine, her grandmother went through stages over a ten year period - "Marry this Chinese boy, I like him." -- "Marry a Chinese boy." -- "Please get married to someone!"

Then she married the guy she'd been dating all along.
I had a Chinese friend who married last year to her best friend of 10+ years (another good friend of mine) who was an Eurasian. Parents on both sides vehemently oppose, with the Chinese parents saying that she is being enslaved to an angmoh and the Indian-European parents saying that he has been tricked by a "dirty Chinese". So much for traditional families.

Only their siblings went for the wedding. I had to give it a miss because they held it in Hong Kong; though I wonder how their children will look like; being of Chinese, Indian and European descent.

P.S I get dibs to being a godfather!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 19:13   Link #86
LeoXiao
思想工作

More Eurasians are better Eurasians.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 19:15   Link #87
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If we still had arranged marriages in regular society in the United States, I would probably be married, have children, and be a responsible contributing member of society right now. Why? Becaues I'd have goals and responsibilities. Now? I have no real goal. Little motivation. And less prospects for continuing the family line.
Old 2013-05-14, 19:22   Link #88
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
I agree, and all the more for interracial marriages.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-05-14, 19:30   Link #89
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I agree, and all the more for interracial marriages.
I wonder, if one Eurasian marries another Eurasian, is it still an interracial marriage?
Old 2013-05-14, 19:31   Link #90
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
I could help out you with this, just find me a European girl.
Old 2013-05-14, 19:36   Link #91
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I wonder, if one Eurasian marries another Eurasian, is it still an interracial marriage?
Not if they are of different mix. It is like a Dutch-Chinese marrying a Indian-Scot, it i still considered interracial.

Old 2013-05-14, 19:40   Link #92
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

We presently draw the line at interspecies marriages. But that would only last until we find what amount to Humans with blue skill and nose ridges.
Old 2013-05-14, 19:43   Link #93
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
I could help out you with this, just find me a European girl.
There are plenty out where you live. I think by showing off your shota charm you can net yourself a wild European cheerleader bimbo.

Old 2013-05-14, 20:30   Link #94
zarqu
Stüldt Hĺjt!

Ugh. This whole thread should be about coercion?

"Is it fine that an individual is coerced into a relationship solely based on the rationale... 'tradition'."
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 20:53   Link #95
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarqu View Post
ugh. This whole thread should be about coercion?

"is it fine that an individual is coerced into a relationship solely based on the rationale... 'tradition'."
Freedom is SLavery, no?
Old 2013-05-14, 21:21   Link #96
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Freedom is SLavery, no?
Four legs good, two legs bad.

Screw missionary. All hail doggy!

Old 2013-05-14, 21:26   Link #97
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Four legs good, two legs bad.

Screw missionary. All hail doggy!
Pretty sure missionary is no legs.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 23:14   Link #98
Eragon
Still Alive

How did this conversation get here?
Old 2013-05-14, 23:22   Link #99
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
How did this conversation get here?
*points at LeoXiao*

This Russian started it first!

Old 2013-05-14, 23:30   Link #100
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
'

Sadly, this practice is still usual in my country.
And there is recent case where the man divorce his wife only after 3 days because he is not satisfy with his wife...

@S-chan
I prefer slavery on this case. WOT FTW...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote