AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-03-10, 19:27   Link #241
Cyz
"Show it to me"

I still have my old Resident Evil 5. If I want to trade it to get the Gold Edition, will my old save file work? I mean, will my goodies (i.e. weapon upgrades etc.) can be carry on?
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 20:12   Link #242
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Not sure.

Though wouldn't it be more expedient just to download all the DLC instead? Resident Evil 5 is selling in stores for about 30 bucks now. I don't think you'd get much value out of a used copy when trading in to get the gold edition.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 22:22   Link #243
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Not sure.

Though wouldn't it be more expedient just to download all the DLC instead? Resident Evil 5 is selling in stores for about 30 bucks now. I don't think you'd get much value out of a used copy when trading in to get the gold edition.
Well, yeah that's true. How much was it? 4 bucks a piece? And how many pieces of DLC were available?
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 07:03   Link #244
Sides

You can get it as a package now as Untold Stories DLC, for 960 MS points on xboxlive or $12.50/€11.25 /£10.49 on psn. It is only for the lastest DLCs, costume pack 1&2, DE and LIN, and reunion of course, but not the older versus mode dlc is not included.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 12:16   Link #245
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Even if you include the VS mode, it'll probably still be under 20(US) dollars. Which makes it a marginally better deal than just buying VS modes...assuming you can get a 30 dollar value credit trade in on your old copy of Resident Evil 5.

Which I'm almost absolutely sure you won't.
Old 2010-03-11, 13:01   Link #246
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
From what I've seen/read about the series, one can argue that the change of direction does make sense. We are, after all, following a group of professionals whose job it is to deal with this stuff, so naturally the movie comparison tends more towards action horror than survival horror.

One thing I've never understood about 4 and 5 is the decision that folks shouldn't be able to move at all in fine-aim mode... in a genre where most everyone allows you to, albeit slowly. As I recall, the explanation was something about 'atmosphere'... which is about as solid as Guerrilla's decision to strip the Killzone 2 assault rifles of their mated weapons (itself explained in a GameInformer issue whose specific number escapes me at present), and certainly doesn't hold up when you consider Dead Space (which could be said to have learned quite a bit from the RE/Biohazard playbook).

I also recall that you don't have to worry about changing magazines... an odd decision, given that it would have been a free and plausible way to force a bit of caution onto the players. After all, being caught in mid-reload can lead to very bad things.

These things said, one thing I always appreciate about these games is the music; the composers rarely disappoint.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 13:38   Link #247
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
One thing I've never understood about 4 and 5 is the decision that folks shouldn't be able to move at all in fine-aim mode... in a genre where most everyone allows you to, albeit slowly. As I recall, the explanation was something about 'atmosphere'... which is about as solid as Guerrilla's decision to strip the Killzone 2 assault rifles of their mated weapons (itself explained in a GameInformer issue whose specific number escapes me at present), and certainly doesn't hold up when you consider Dead Space (which could be said to have learned quite a bit from the RE/Biohazard playbook).
If you think about it RE4 still had the tank controls from the first game, even RE5 has it, if you switch to RE4 contol option. In RE5's DLC Lost in nightmares, you can even switch to the old camera mode, together with the old control style it feels like the old resident evil, except for the boss fight....
In large RE5 is nothing more than RE4+RE0+(optional co-op)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
I also recall that you don't have to worry about changing magazines... an odd decision, given that it would have been a free and plausible way to force a bit of caution onto the players. After all, being caught in mid-reload can lead to very bad things.
You do have to reload, unless you have the unlimted ammo unlocked, or you can reload in the menu, just like the old games, where you won't trigger the reloading animation.

About Dead Space, i really hated that game, to many pop up screens, too much story and too complicated, weapons have even dual fire mode, seriously?. I hope they do streamline some stuff in Dead Space 2 and more gamelike rather than trying to be too serious.
The thing why people like resident evil is, it isn't serious, real looking guns and it has zombies, or zombie like creatures. And you have limitations, like no run/walk and fire, no melee attacks unless you trigger a sequence.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 13:48   Link #248
Woopzilla
Desensitized

I think 'atmosphere' is just the fanboy response. Whenever I've seen a post about this on any popular gaming forum, a horde of fanboys would come running and present the 'discussion ending' argument that you've never been able to move in any of the REs while aiming. I don't think that really justifies anything.

The changes in the RE franchise are meant to be a 'step forward', changing the direction a bit. And in this day and age one would expect movement while aiming to be the norm. You couldn't move while in first person view in previous Metal Gear Solids... that didn't stop it from being introduced in MGS4. There's other ways to build up tension than just shoving clunky control mechanisms onto the player. :/

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it's only made worse by you also being completely blind of your right (or left if you're playing as Sheva) while aiming. It's so annoying to see a stun rod flying in from the side of screen because you didn't spot the guy jumping over a wall or something.

Anyhow, supposedly the next installment will have a total revamp again. I remember reading something that they'll be trying to deliver a new experience (or perhaps the classic style again?).

Last edited by Woopzilla; 2010-03-11 at 13:58.
Woopzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 16:31   Link #249
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

I'd never really had any problems doing the whole "shoot to move" transition. It threw me off balance in 4, but now the entire process is like second nature to me. I haven't quite understand the annoyance some people have with the set up. Even if you did allow shooting while moving, the enemies would probably end up with a comparable movement/aggression increase to compensate. It wouldn't get any easier. Just faster.

But who knows. Maybe a faster pace would be more fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
You do have to reload, unless you have the unlimted ammo unlocked, or you can reload in the menu, just like the old games, where you won't trigger the reloading animation.
Being able to menu reload has basically turned the reload animation into a joke. With practice you can do this mechanical operation faster than the auto reload, plus you can do this while your character is performing an action (climbing, jumping, meleeing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woopzilla View Post
Anyhow, supposedly the next installment will have a total revamp again. I remember reading something that they'll be trying to deliver a new experience (or perhaps the classic style again?).
With the massive success of the last two "action" resident evil games, I somehow doubt they're going to just toss the basics of the formula to the wayside while there isn't any indication that it's not gonna make money anymore.
Old 2010-03-11, 16:48   Link #250
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Apparently it's the case though. Jun Takeuchi has said himself that RE6 will be a revamp or reinvention of the RE series, and that RE5 will be the last of it's kind.

I've can't remember which article I read (since there's many on this) but here's one: http://www.destructoid.com/resident-...m-122646.phtml This one's rather old though... but it's better than random speculations found on gamespot forums or something. :P

I personally hope they go ahead and try something different. If they must insist on another action based game, then they should at least make it scary again. Bring back the horror! This plaga stuff didn't really appeal to me... I just felt like I was fighting a horde of disgruntled villagers in the beginning.

I still like the two games though... I'd just like to experience the same uneasiness that RE2 brought about.
Old 2010-03-12, 03:01   Link #251
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Bring back the horror but don't take out the coop.

I always thought the Outbreak series had potential, but it was released too soon. If they manage to make a game as survival based as Outbreak with smooth controls for online I'd be pleasantly surprised.

Make every decision count, and make every man for himself. You might need to leave a partner behind to save yourself, and your partner might be able to survive the horror and take revenge on you, etc.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-13, 13:23   Link #252
Woopzilla
Desensitized

I've never played Outbreak... I suppose I'll watch a playthrough on youtube or something. I'm pretty ignorant of all the spin off games from the main series.

I liked the coop feature of RE5 too, but only online. The single player should be exactly that: 'single' player.

I loved doing random pro difficulty runs on RE4 with, for example, knife/handgun only. Doing this on RE5 with the liability known as Sheva in tow only resulted in accelerated hair loss as you tore it out while growing frustrated with her. She gets herself killed in some seriously stupid ways at times and just provides terrible backup. I once entered the 'dying' status with her right next to me... she just stood there and suddenly started reloading! Argh... I then died.

Anyway, I suppose a game where it's not necessarily 'co-op' but just 'multiplayer' would be good fun. You don't need them to pass obstacles and survive, but you simply increase your chances if you do. Perhaps a huge Raccoon City where everyone is deployed at several ends of the city and you can all team up somehow by luck... just like in a real horror movie, eh? But that's akin to a MMO... doubtful something like that will exist.
Old 2010-03-13, 21:29   Link #253
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
I liked the coop feature of RE5 too, but only online. The single player should be exactly that: 'single' player.
Gonna have to agree. The AI seems to only be able to ineffectually hand around you while it plinks at enemies with it's pistol, or suicidally charge them with heavier weapons. Not enough sophistication for it to be anything but a liability.

It's presence really does make single player crazy difficulty runs impossible.
Old 2010-03-13, 21:48   Link #254
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Ah, yea... it's choice of weapons is pretty rudimentary indeed. I think it's the most powerful weapon gets used first until no ammo is left. I suppose it was expecting a bit too much for the AI to use shotguns for clustered enemies/pistol for single enemies and heavy weapons for tough enemies.

I remember handing over my magnum to Sheva on my first playthrough to make some room for a herb. I was going to mix it with an existing herb and then get my magnum back... a bad guy showed up and she started blasting away with it. I was like nooooo... made the next boss fight a little tougher. Argh. Made a mental note to only ever hand over ammo from then on. :P
Old 2010-03-13, 22:04   Link #255
jonli
JONLIの憂'

I actually never played RE5 in singleplayer mode. The day I bought it I played with a friend from start to finish. It was a blast.

We played on the hardest difficulty at first and we ran out of ammo immediately, because we'd never share. It got so bad that we had NO AMMO at all at one point of the game and there was no way we could win and we had to restart the game on an easier difficulty.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-13, 22:20   Link #256
Woopzilla
Desensitized

I played on Veteran first time through. I was also always low on ammo all the time. It took me ages to get past the damn tribal village. I had to plan every bullet... couldn't afford to miss a shot. ><

I only completely ran out of ammo at the very end in the final boss fight. I had to use the knife a few times. There was no way I would restart the playthrough at that point. ;P

So far I've only played with complete strangers online. I can imagine how much more fun it must be to play through the very first time with a friend on voice chat.
Old 2010-03-13, 23:34   Link #257
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Apparently it's the case though. Jun Takeuchi has said himself that RE6 will be a revamp or reinvention of the RE series, and that RE5 will be the last of it's kind.
The one thing that annoyed me in RE5 the most was getting constantly grab by enemies. If they are gonna change everything for the next game I am hoping they, at the very least, get this out of the next game.

I much rather get stabbed from behind than going through another hug-fest as RE5 was.

Gotta say, I never had that much problems with Sheva in single player. The pistol and machine gun were the only weapons I gave her and pretty much used her as a pack mule for most of the game.
Old 2010-03-13, 23:52   Link #258
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Now, that you've mentioned it... the enemies really do like to hug you.

That also reminds me of the random 'command prompts' they've added in. I hated those on pro difficulty against N'desu. The chapter he was in was the last one I needed and S-Rank for.

Anyway, my second playthrough with the AI was a little less stressful with upgraded guns. I decided to wield the AK and give all handgun ammo to her which worked out alright. I also made much better use of the O button: "Sheva!", "Sheva!", "Sheva!", "CMON!!", "SHEVA!", "CMON!!"

Uhh... listing that dialogue looks a little odd.
Old 2010-03-14, 10:42   Link #259
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
I actually never played RE5 in singleplayer mode. The day I bought it I played with a friend from start to finish. It was a blast.
You didn't miss anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
We played on the hardest difficulty at first and we ran out of ammo immediately, because we'd never share. It got so bad that we had NO AMMO at all at one point of the game and there was no way we could win and we had to restart the game on an easier difficulty.
That's pretty easy to avoid as long as you do two things.

1:Immediately run from that initial mob you run into. They keep coming and you don't have the ammo to kill them all

2:Keep moving around the public assembly to collect extra weapons/ammo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
The one thing that annoyed me in RE5 the most was getting constantly grab by enemies. If they are gonna change everything for the next game I am hoping they, at the very least, get this out of the next game.

I much rather get stabbed from behind than going through another hug-fest as RE5 was.
Play Chris with the Minigun then.

Enemies can't grab him from behind

One thing I do hope gets changed for the next game, is to make the assault rifles more accurate. It's kinda screwy that you get better accuracy out of SMG's.
Old 2010-05-07, 05:13   Link #260
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

News :

Jun Takeuchi won't work for the next RES :

"It’s not easy following on from Shinji Mikami, just ask Jun Takechi. Jun was the producer of Resident Evil 5 and the soon to be released Lost Planet 2 and he has expressed just how much pressure he felt steping into Shinji’s shoes at the helm of RE5.

“Yes, it’s true we did feel extreme pressure – and Mikami-san’s shadow – after Resi 4,” Takeuchi told Xbox World 360. “However, because we were creating the sequel to this huge franchise we wanted to make our fresh direction clear.”

“Personally, I don’t think I’m gonna deal with Resident Evil 6 at all – as far as the series is concerned I’m not planning to return until at least two more Olympics have passed.”

So that means Jun won’t return until what, 2017 or something like that? Do I hear crys of bring back Shinji?? Let’s face it, RE5 was no RE4."

http://thegamingliberty.com/index.ph...sident-evil-6/

I agree !! Resident Evil is no more survival horror now ... damn when i remember Res 1/2/3 , the 4 was still ok even though it wasn't zombies . But 5 killed it ...
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror, third person shooter