AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-07-27, 14:36   Link #41
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

I'm personally wondering what happened to the steampunk influences they were talking about when the project was announced. I was expecting somewhat more metal and gray.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 15:20   Link #42
FireChick

They'll probably get into those soon. Just have to wait and see!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 22:27   Link #43
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
HOLY ****!!! THAT was AMAZING!!! I knew it'd look good, but I didn't think it'd look THIS good (O.O). I will be there every step of the way (^,^)!

Btw, I've always wondered, how did the original show do in japan(if it ever aired in japan)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
2. It's by far the best "anime" influenced animation that America has produced. Good enough to shame many anime from Japan.
Really. Watching the original literally brought me to tears(tears of happiness; really). I never thought an American show, esp one from Nick(generally a kids channel) could be that good, and even(IMO) as good as the best anime of japan.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 23:41   Link #44
tyciol
*Artist

I wonder, do you think there are Japanese animesuki-like sites set up to convert shows like Avatar for Japanese-speaking viewers who don't understand the english?
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 09:34   Link #45
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I remember that it got a dub in Japan (found a clip of it and watched it once, yeaaaaaaah) but it sounds like it only aired on the Nick channel which isn't in a lot of cable packages over there.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-29, 06:55   Link #46
frubam
simp for Lyria

I know I'm late but...wait a sec, Toph has a daughter (O.o)!? I did always found her cute despite her small stature(well, that haughty personality inside that small stature is what sold her for me (^,^) ), but I can't imagine someone 'putting the reins' on her at all. It couldn't be...Sokka could it?
Old 2011-07-29, 08:26   Link #47
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I know I'm late but...wait a sec, Toph has a daughter (O.o)!? I did always found her cute despite her small stature(well, that haughty personality inside that small stature is what sold her for me (^,^) ), but I can't imagine someone 'putting the reins' on her at all. It couldn't be...Sokka could it?
Nah, Sokka was with Suki. I think Toph must've found a guy, but I like to imagine he was more the stay at home dad type while she went around teaching metalbending (which apparently she did).
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-29, 09:52   Link #48
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I've heard a number of people speculate that it was some guy she just had a fling with, sounds like a lot of us have a hard time imagining her settling down.
Old 2011-07-29, 16:28   Link #49
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Been outta the loop on Avatar since some time before the "film that should be forgotten" but damn this has got the fires of interest burning once again.

I may have to go ahead and watch some of the older seasons again just to get to grips with it all....once again.

Kinda wish I spent more time watching the series whenever my wee cousin was watching it
Old 2011-07-31, 21:17   Link #50
Macros617

One of the things I enjoyed about the original Avatar series was the actual journey that they had to take from the four corners of the world. The effort that the artists put in to make the world that Avatar took place in to be massive. I heard this series is centered in only one city. I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to react to it, hopefully there's enough content centered in there that it won't show too much.
Macros617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 22:32   Link #51
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowscarves View Post
Usually a hate towards anime dubbed in English stems from the generally poor voice acting. As picky as I am with English dubs, I had no complaints with Avatar. Like many have already mentioned, the voice acting is amazing (as is everything else), so give it a shot. Maybe it'll change your mind.
It doesn't make any sense to say someone "hates dubs." All animation is dubbed. From the Random House Dictionary:

dub - to add (music, speech, etc.) to a film or tape recording.

It makes sense to say "I hate dubs that aren't the show's original dub in it's original language." The original dub in the original language is what the show was designed for, and it usually gets much more $$$ resources in its production. Avatar's original language is English, and it's voice acting is quite good. I've heard the Japanese dub, and it's terrible, ruining a lot of the characters personalities.

As for despising any dub in English, even if the show was originally written and cast in English...that's just depressingly weeaboo.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 22:44   Link #52
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Does Avatar have a Japanese sub?

Anyway, really looking forward to this. Also, nice to see that the creators are keeping their time honoured tradition of messing with shipper's heads

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 22:48   Link #53
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Does Avatar have a Japanese sub?

Anyway, really looking forward to this. Also, nice to see that the creators are keeping their time honoured tradition of messing with shipper's heads
It has a Japanese dub if that's what you mean (if you meant Japanese subtitles somewhere then I have no clue), I saw clips of it a few years ago and wasn't that impressed.
Old 2011-08-01, 23:15   Link #54
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
It has a Japanese dub if that's what you mean (if you meant Japanese subtitles somewhere then I have no clue), I saw clips of it a few years ago and wasn't that impressed.
I meant subtitles. I was just really amused by the idea of Japanese people watching subs of Western cartoons.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-02, 02:19   Link #55
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
It doesn't make any sense to say someone "hates dubs." All animation is dubbed. From the Random House Dictionary:

As for despising any dub in English, even if the show was originally written and cast in English...that's just depressingly weeaboo.
... Oh thanks, so I guess I'm a weeaboo? Wrong. You clearly have no idea what I just wrote before. Like I said, this series LOOKS like anime, if I didn't know any better and saw this airing on my TV, I would think : Oh great, yet another dubbed anime.

It's a matter of feeling here. This series looks like anime, so having japanese audio with it would feel normal while english audio feels uncomfortable. That's all there is to it. If it looked like american cartoons do, say The Simpsons or South Park (which are the only american cartoons I watch) English is of course, the audio that feels comfortable and normal with them. It's a matter of personal preference. You don't mind the English audio or anyone else here, sure fine, but let me be and stick with anime that actually is anime.

And what you said about dub is correct yes, but also nit picking. Everyone knows it's original meaning but everyone also knows that dub generally refers to animation or films that have had the speech replaced with another language. Especially in anime industry if you have a word dub, it always means something else than JP audio.
Old 2011-08-02, 03:31   Link #56
ZODDGUTS

Um ignoring the idiotic topic going on. Gotta say this looks great. The animation in the first series already was great, but this even looks better.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-02, 05:05   Link #57
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

I was a huge fan of the original series, but the movie really let me down. That said, the Legend of Korra looks MUCH better, that trailer got me hyped.
Old 2011-08-02, 07:27   Link #58
frubam
simp for Lyria

We all know who the masked guy is. It's gotta be
Spoiler for guess:

On a different note, I wonder which brother Korra is gonna hook up with? Or are they gonna keep the friend solidarity going on like the beg of the original series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
Nah, Sokka was with Suki. I think Toph must've found a guy, but I like to imagine he was more the stay at home dad type while she went around teaching metalbending (which apparently she did).
True, but despite how goofy Sokka was, he did manage to attract the attention of a few girls. I wouldn't be surprised if he used his vast intelligence to unintentionally manipulate a few girls here and there. We know he was like a pimp.
Old 2011-08-02, 08:28   Link #59
Aesthetic Shampoo

Quote:
We all know who the masked guy is. It's gotta be
Spoiler for guess:
So...he'd be like 100+ years old in this then

Quote:
On a different note, I wonder which brother Korra is gonna hook up with? Or are they gonna keep the friend solidarity going on like the beg of the original series
I assumed it would be the airbending master's only son.
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-02, 11:27   Link #60
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnythesun View Post
I assumed it would be the airbending master's only son.
He looks a bit young to me

chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra