Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2012-02-28, 22:15   Link #1
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Increasing PM Box from 100 to 150 or 200

This isn't something I'm passionate about or anything, but I thought it might be worth considering (mainly if it would be a simple alteration to implement).

In my Anime Suki inbox/outbox are a lot of messages I'd rather keep for posterity, kind of like important chat logs. Many of them have convenient links within them, or anime screenshots, or particular pieces of discussion that can be helpful for revisiting some old ideas. So, long story short, I lately find myself making hard choices over what PMs to delete to ensure I don't go much over a total of 90.

There's also the fact that I've PMed people in the past, only to get the message that their PM box is full, thus preventing me from completing the message. When this is for a discussion I'd rather not put up on somebody's wall, it can be a bit problematic.

Keeping both of these in mind, I was wondering if it would be possible to increase the PM box size from 100 to 150, or 200? It's certainly no big deal if it can't be done, but I just thought it might be an idea worth considering.

P.S. I did searches on this subforum for "PM", "Inbox" and "Private Messages", and neither brought up a thread on this particular topic, hence why I'm creating a new one for it.
Old 2012-02-28, 22:44   Link #2
relentlessflame

*Administrator

What I've typically done is to use the download feature to save them. You can download them either as XML, CSV, or Text files; the option is located at the bottom of the Private Messages screen right under the Display Options.

That said, I have nothing against necessarily raising the limit either... but I guess we'd need to run some stats to figure out what the impact would be if we change it.
Old 2012-02-28, 23:51   Link #3
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Does the software give you a nudge if the box is almost full?

I'm not cool so my box is never full and I wouldn't know.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 01:40   Link #4
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Does the software give you a nudge if the box is almost full?

I'm not cool so my box is never full and I wouldn't know.
There are warnings in place when you exceed 90, iirc 95 or 100 has addition ones.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 04:19   Link #5
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
The warning is only displayed in the upper right though with bolded text ; Some people may not even see it. I personally find that bolded text '' annoying.

And well yeah, aside from annoying, I would really appreciate more inbox space for the reasons Triple_R stated. Even if you delete few once in a while, eventually that 100 will be full of messages you want to keep, and there will be nothing left to delete. Obviously even if you increase it this would happen with those limits eventually as well but it would help at least a bit...

I doubt inbox messages even take much space on the server so I don't see any harm in increasing it to at least 200?
Old 2012-02-29, 05:31   Link #6
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

And also, the inbox limit gets halved for some unknown reason whenever an account gets banned (heck, I should know ). Is there a reason for this, or is it just part of vBulletin?
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 06:10   Link #7
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I don't see a problem with raising the limit a little bit, but ultimately it doesn't matter if you have 50 or 500 for a storage limit - it will be reached, and you'll have the same problems again. It'll just take a bit longer, maybe. In the end the solution is still to back up what you want saved, to either make room or just for redundancy (accidents happen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
And also, the inbox limit gets halved for some unknown reason whenever an account gets banned (heck, I should know ). Is there a reason for this, or is it just part of vBulletin?
We have no policy for this as far as I'm aware. This is most likely vBulletin's usual oddities.
Old 2012-02-29, 10:55   Link #8
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I don't see a problem with raising the limit a little bit, but ultimately it doesn't matter if you have 50 or 500 for a storage limit - it will be reached, and you'll have the same problems again.
Oh no it won't. Been here since 04 and I'm at 83 messages, which is surprising enough as it is,
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 11:08   Link #9
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Oh no it won't. Been here since 04 and I'm at 83 messages, which is surprising enough as it is,
Well right, if you don't have a lot of traffic in your box. The people who'd want an increase do have a lot of traffic (or at the very least the urge to store a lot of stuff).

Also remember that message storing is in two parts. What you send, and what you get. I've been able to clean out a lot of my box at times simply by getting rid of stuff in my sent box.
Old 2012-02-29, 11:37   Link #10
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Hmm... I tend to do a massive purge once every 3months or so of my inbox so I'm not that capped . I also do the same for my phone logs and email accounts too.

However, if it doesn't clog up the AS site nor make it slower, then I'm all by means for it.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 20:18   Link #11
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

This is my thing, but I get a lot of important emails that just like to have kept in both my inbox and in a separate downloaded file. I'm all for an upping of allowed PMs for this reason.

It also doesn't help that at the moment any sent messages count towards that total as well, so raising the limit would increase the length of conversations one could have before having to delete messages. It also makes for a handy "view-on-the-spot" message history while you chat.