Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-08-17, 07:12   Link #121
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
The only reason why I watched EoE was to see the JSSDF in action.
Yeah, they were cool. I'd feel bad for them since they were used, but they were really brutal.
Old 2010-08-17, 18:23   Link #122
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Yeah, they were cool. I'd feel bad for them since they were used, but they were really brutal.
Though I much prefer the Japanese Dub (English one isn't bad), I can't help but laugh at the way the american voice actor playing one of JSSDF said that line like "That's it boys, our mission has failed." It wasn't exactly those words, but it just sounded so funny.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 15:01   Link #123
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Though I much prefer the Japanese Dub (English one isn't bad), I can't help but laugh at the way the american voice actor playing one of JSSDF said that line like "That's it boys, our mission has failed." It wasn't exactly those words, but it just sounded so funny.
Yeah, that was pretty funny because they failed before they even started, no matter who won the battle.
Old 2010-08-20, 21:13   Link #124
OgodItsKanon
ばかな王女様
*Artist

End of Evangelion raped my brain D:

...Anyways, what do you think happened after
Spoiler for EoE:
Old 2010-08-20, 21:23   Link #125
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgodItsKanon View Post
End of Evangelion raped my brain D:

...Anyways, what do you think happened after
Spoiler for EoE:
That was left open to interpretation. There is a lot of religion in this series and I saw them as the new Adam and Eve, as do many people. The future of mankind looks grim, heh.

Quick question regarding that scene...what does Asuka say at the end? When I re-watched it, it was not what I remember, but I watched the Renewal so I guess they changed it?
Old 2010-08-20, 21:56   Link #126
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
Quote:
what does Asuka say at the end?
Kimochi warui which means:

"You're kneeling on my hand!"
Old 2010-08-20, 23:08   Link #127
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
"How Disgusting"

Of course, if we consider the thing about you have the will, you can come back to be true, and the only people we see is Shinji and Asuka left; you can kinda understand why she said that. It's just not the kind of ending she was aiming for most likely. But then again Asuka not fighting back and actually touching Shinji does make you think, have they changed?

Or Shinji hasn't washed his hands since the start of the movie. Your choice.

We also should consider that perhaps other people in other parts of the world have come back, but with all the crap that's happened it would be hard to know. But it would be hard, because we have to consider who would want to come back as instrumentality seems to feel very good for everyone; so... who wants to face reality?

P.S. Pen Pen is the best

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2010-08-20 at 23:26.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 12:45   Link #128
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I remember her calling him an idiot though.

One thing that bothered me was how much Shinji choked her. It looked like he crushed her throat every time, lol.
Old 2010-08-21, 18:18   Link #129
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Yea, and then it just ends!

I'm guessing he must have been out there alone for a long while, and then first person that comes back... someone who he wants to strangle! But then he realizes it's all real and returns to reality. But you know reality is cruel; in both Shinji and Asuka's case, they'd rather see someone else but hey.

Anyhow..
One thing I found interesting in is how the main leads' issues were resolved in the movie. All the characters really lacked self-worth and they relied on crutches to keep going. Shinji relied on the approval of the others, Asuka relied on her skills and competence, Rei pretty much was just to be used by Gendo. As the series went on, these things started to crumble as they really weren't that real. Nobody gave Shinji any respect and the ones that did died, Asuka had "performance issues" so bad she can't even pilot eva (hey, that makes the gender swap idea a few pages back really funny ), and Rei... well she was just expendable and could be replaced (and did).

But in EoE, we have Shinji willing to live for himself instead of other people, and Rei betraying Gendo in the most epic of scenes. Asuka... well that's sorta harder, I guess she really just could let loose against the MP evas without giving a damn anymore. Though she isn't completely satisifed til after third impact; can't really tell if she's mellowed out or just exhausted at the end.

And so you have it, people that were worthless and meant to be tools ultimately turning out to be the saviors of humanity. Talk about a reversal.

MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2010-08-21 at 18:33.
Old 2010-08-22, 10:18   Link #130
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Yes, truly wonderful writing. And it's this that make me wonder about Rebuild so much. At first I thought it was just a cash in, but they are changing a lot.

I am glad Asuka was alive at the end though. She must have been unconscious for a while, since Shinji bandaged her up and all. It sure does hurt when an Eva is damaged if the links aren't cut. That's another thing I overlooked or maybe I just didn't realize when I first watched it. She felt everything that happened to her Eva. And those MP Evas did not need to do all of that. They were really cheap. They somehow survived her attacks, and has LoL. Stupid Shinji sitting there like that.
Old 2010-08-22, 15:17   Link #131
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Yes, truly wonderful writing. And it's this that make me wonder about Rebuild so much. At first I thought it was just a cash in, but they are changing a lot.

I am glad Asuka was alive at the end though. She must have been unconscious for a while, since Shinji bandaged her up and all. It sure does hurt when an Eva is damaged if the links aren't cut. That's another thing I overlooked or maybe I just didn't realize when I first watched it. She felt everything that happened to her Eva. And those MP Evas did not need to do all of that. They were really cheap. They somehow survived her attacks, and has LoL. Stupid Shinji sitting there like that.
Yep, it was bad because she was fully synced, so when it got pierced with the lance... yea. >.>

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-08-23, 02:58   Link #132
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:

You've been making quite a few controversial observations about this ending scene. In the final scene was it that Shinji JUST appeared, was waiting there briefly, or waiting there for a LONG time? The same for Asuka. And Asuka being bandaged probably had nothing to do with Shinji. That's Anno just f*cking with us.

I'm personally a fan of the theory that it's been a long time since third impact began that Shinji appeared, and then a good while before Asuka appears as well. Evidence is the rusted cross of Misato that is briefly shown.

And the reason Asuka gets strangled is Shinji simply trying to reconfirm the pain of rejection, and when Asuka does, he whimpers like a broken down little boy, which disgusts her.
Old 2010-08-23, 12:19   Link #133
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
You've been making quite a few controversial observations about this ending scene. In the final scene was it that Shinji JUST appeared, was waiting there briefly, or waiting there for a LONG time? The same for Asuka. And Asuka being bandaged probably had nothing to do with Shinji. That's Anno just f*cking with us.

I'm personally a fan of the theory that it's been a long time since third impact began that Shinji appeared, and then a good while before Asuka appears as well. Evidence is the rusted cross of Misato that is briefly shown.
I guess I'll watch that scene again. I didn't notice Misato's cross. All theories are plausible too. Makes for endless discussion, and argument, haha.

And I think it's really stupid if they bandaged Asuka for the hell of it.

Quote:
And the reason Asuka gets strangled is Shinji simply trying to reconfirm the pain of rejection, and when Asuka does, he whimpers like a broken down little boy, which disgusts her.
I took it as him being angry and venting it out by choking her.
Old 2010-08-23, 13:26   Link #134
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

It makes the most sense if he was out there for a while. He looked fine when leaving Yui, but imagine doing that and no one appears for weeks or even months, and you begin to doubt whether people really being able to come back is true, thinking that you made the wrong choice. You can really tell by the look on his face.

Also, once someone made a comment about the terrible effects of Giant Rei decomposing-- that's certainly gonna be a hazard.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-08-23, 14:13   Link #135
SaitoKun

*Finishing to read all of the comments*
EoE Discussions are so much fun :>

Last edited by SaitoKun; 2010-08-23 at 16:09.
SaitoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-23, 14:21   Link #136
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
You can never finish reading all of the comments because they will never end. This is the mark of a truly classic story.
Old 2010-08-23, 14:32   Link #137
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
It makes the most sense if he was out there for a while. He looked fine when leaving Yui, but imagine doing that and no one appears for weeks or even months, and you begin to doubt whether people really being able to come back is true, thinking that you made the wrong choice. You can really tell by the look on his face.

Also, once someone made a comment about the terrible effects of Giant Rei decomposing-- that's certainly gonna be a hazard.
I figured Giant Rei just went *poof* But that does make the most sense. It also gives us enough reason to deduce more people appearing as time goes on. It would be good if more people returned too, Shinji and Asuka aren't exactly prime candidates for being Adam & Eve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
You can never finish reading all of the comments because they will never end. This is the mark of a truly classic story.
Yes. I wish it wasn't so damn depressing, otherwise I'd watch it more.
Old 2010-08-23, 16:13   Link #138
SaitoKun

Quote:
I figured Giant Rei just went *poof* But that does make the most sense. It also gives us enough reason to deduce more people appearing as time goes on. It would be good if more people returned too, Shinji and Asuka aren't exactly prime candidates for being Adam & Eve.

I wish it was for Gendo to re-populate humanity,Then the human race would be 100% epic.
Spoiler for Evangelion:
SaitoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-23, 20:14   Link #139
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I usually rewatch all of Evangelion (episode 25 and 26 as well), death and rebirth and EoE every year as a tradition. Yet every year the series still blows me away by the end.

I'd probably rewatch EoE more, but I don't want its effects to wear off.
Old 2010-08-23, 20:15   Link #140
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
I usually rewatch all of Evangelion (episode 25 and 26 as well), death and rebirth and EoE every year as a tradition. Yet every year the series still blows me away by the end.

I'd probably rewatch EoE more, but I don't want its effects to wear off.
I didn't watch Death and Rebirth this time. Aren't they just summaries of the series?

Tags
mecha, psychological