AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 04 Rating
Perfect 10 43 14.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 4.15%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 8.65%
7 out of 10 : Good 42 14.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 26 9.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 13 4.50%
4 out of 10 : Poor 19 6.57%
3 out of 10 : Bad 16 5.54%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 8 2.77%
1 out of 10 : Painful 85 29.41%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-03, 02:11   Link #221
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniteowl View Post
I assume you haven't reed the novels yet so do you want a hint to why?
Actually I have read the novels. The twist is fairly obvious for the observant.

Still, it's fun to throw out that thought, given the hellish timeloop that's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_One
Only fanboys/girls would give this episode high rating.
I never give any series a score higher than 7. Or lower. Heh.

For all the anger and disappointment though, you have to hand it to the studio. The episode is BEING TALKED ABOUT. Sure, it's mostly cursing the decision to continue with the time loop, but people are forgetting that any kind of publicity is good publicity.
Old 2009-07-03, 02:15   Link #222
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Heck I was expecting an almost an entire repeat of the previous episode, all I wanted was One Significant line of text they skiped from the short story that wasn't included last episode and I would've been happy and given it a decent score, at least that way we're actually going somewhere... although very slowly, although it'd make sense since 15,000 + iteration have already occured.
Well, because that's th3 trigger, you silly.
Old 2009-07-03, 02:26   Link #223
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

I still had a blast watching this episode. I'm enjoying that each scene to the degree that it covered the same events had subtle differences that were pronounced. I especially preferred Kyon's reaction this time to hearing Koizumi with Mikuru over the phone, yelling at him as he affirmed he'd meet them and was leaving right that moment.

The reactions on this forum have been interesting to say the least. KyoAni is certainly proving who the fans of the show are for what the show does and who are not for one reason or another. One attempting to be creative is no guarantee of success that the creative output will be well executed is certainly true. But equally true is that viewers are a fickle lot and go into a show with preconceived notions, biases, and expectations. Nobody including KyoAni can be expected to win over everybody universally, and that there had been many people they have not won over is no indication that they have failed in a proper execution according to their intentions and in a way that pleases people whom they had hoped it would please.

Personally, I do like how the episodes are in a certain sense effectively keeping the interest of novel readers, if not all of them then those who do find value in these episodes offering something fresh by not letting those in the know know when they'll have the resolution that they're anticipating. To some degree I can sympathize with viewers who haven't followed the novel and don't quite get what's happening. But I consider the Endless Eight arc to be a very well articulated and truly heartfelt love letter to faithful fans of the novel series, among which I count myself. Thank you KyoAni for taking me into consideration, even if at the consequential preclusion of others.
Old 2009-07-03, 02:33   Link #224
allengator

Wow, part the third, huh? I have no idea why, but I laughed throughout this episode. Maybe its a combination of insomnia and tylenol. Then I saw the Youtube clip of Hosaka and completely went mental. Just catching my breath.

Hopefully there won't be a huge gap inbetween seasons again, because if we have to wait another three years for "Disappearance", then it'll be a long, long wait. Oddly, though, I am enjoying myself with this arc. I'd love to see how far Kyoani takes this...or perhaps not. It's a pickle, I tell ya.

Got to admit though, its got people talking. I bet that's the point of this.
Old 2009-07-03, 02:37   Link #225
Jintor

Old 2009-07-03, 02:40   Link #226
Shuyen

Even though there's slight progression throughout each cycle of the time loop thing... I seriously can't stand it anymore... This is getting so repetitive. MAKE IT STOP ;-;

Other than that, the animation and change of outfits was pretty good as usual.
Old 2009-07-03, 03:01   Link #227
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

You know...I'm a pretty casual Haruhi fan. I havn't read the light novels. So I should be quite literally pissed off right now but I'm laughing so hard at what Kyoani just pulled off here. Only Haruhi could get away with doing something like that not once but twice.

So much epic fail yet so much awesomeness just for the aftermath insanity and the lawl factor that ensued alone and it may not even end in the next episode. But nothing takes my interest in an episode and lays a smackdown on it quite like the repetition displayed here did. Literally, I think my brain completely shutdown (or came close to that point) part-way through this episode as I became unable to spot any real differences anymore outside of the altering of a few lines and scenes and the last part.

Feeling of "Deja vu." Well Kyoani certainly has succeeded in driving that thought process through my head watching this arc.

Last edited by Karlson; 2009-07-04 at 02:38.
Old 2009-07-03, 03:29   Link #228
SSJiffy
AWWWSOME

First I was like >: D then I was like >:O, and then >:[.
A 1 to this episode.
Old 2009-07-03, 03:31   Link #229
pigoz
YUKI.N>

Send a message via MSN to pigoz
Imho we'll get Endless Eight until the end of August
Old 2009-07-03, 03:34   Link #230
therationalpi

Should I be praising or chastising KyoAni for violating the Rule of Three? I honestly am not sure. They caught me off guard, for certain. In fact, they've caught me off guard twice. That's impressive, since I usually am pretty keen on things that like.

I'm not going to rate this episode, since I'm torn between 9 and 1, and neither a four or 5 would reflect my opinion.
Old 2009-07-03, 03:43   Link #231
Kikuchi

My reaction after this episode was seriously like this :

Spoiler for Pic:

I don't think the episode was bad, but if they wanted me to get frustrated they totally succeeded indeed.

What upsets me the most isn't that it repeats iteself like this, but more the fact that they could use those episode to do something ELSE.

Rated 4/10, under normal circumstances it would probably have been 6 or 7.
Old 2009-07-03, 04:07   Link #232
chinaboat

If this wasn't Haruhi it would have been the last episode I would ever bother watching my reaction at the end was a mix of frustration and disgust - The rule of three is pretty solid and writers violate it at their peril; I wonder how many new viewers who haven't read the novels are going are going to abandon the series now.

On the plus side, I'm starting to like the new OP song but the animation is still too much "superheroes to the rescue" for my taste and I loved Yuki in the green bathing suit - extremely kawaii.
Old 2009-07-03, 04:13   Link #233
Clawn

I gave this episode a terrifically high rating simply because it caused me to feel such emotion. This time, the anguish I felt as Haruhi slipped out the door and the loop was allowed to restart was exponentially more powerful than it was in the last episode. And it's very, very rare that any movie, book, or tv show can make me feel that strongly about anything.

I think this episode was completely necessary in order to cause the viewer to empathize with Kyon in those final seconds so much more than they would have if we had simply had a single episode of loopage.

However, I understand why some would get a little heated over this. Most tv shows wouldn't dare to make their audience feel some emotion other than a positive one.
Old 2009-07-03, 04:16   Link #234
Jintor

That's why I'm hesitant to rate this episode - they've clearly succeeded in making me very angry. But is that a good thing, or a bad thing? If they were aiming for it, then do they get a good rating, or a bad rating?
Old 2009-07-03, 04:22   Link #235
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuyen View Post
Even though there's slight progression throughout each cycle of the time loop thing... I seriously can't stand it anymore... This is getting so repetitive. MAKE IT STOP ;-;
What may seem like progression to us, for them, that very progression may have already occurred in throughout the previous time loops thousands of times.
Old 2009-07-03, 04:22   Link #236
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawn View Post

However, I understand why some would get a little heated over this. Most tv shows wouldn't dare to make their audience feel some emotion other than a positive one.
Which is why some of us still believe this series will continue to push the limits for what is considered norm. I'm sure a lot of us Haruhi fans can recall some of the reaction to the very first episode of Haruhi from the previous season. It was somewhat similar to here. That said, however, I draw my line for the need to empathize with melancholic despair at three. A repeat of this won't bode very well.
Old 2009-07-03, 04:27   Link #237
ucit

KyoAni lose the TPDD ^o^
Old 2009-07-03, 04:32   Link #238
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Wow, and who ever thought a Haruhi episode would get this many 1's out of 10. Nice going Kyoani.
Old 2009-07-03, 04:36   Link #239
daisekihan
Banned

I wasn't trying to say that, just because their deviating from the books, it's no good. I'm trying to say that they've created a fundamentally experience that is, to me at least, not an artistic success. What they are obviously trying is to make us feel Yuki's growing frustration at the constantly repeating two weeks. However, the show is from Kyon's perspective, so we should be looking at Yuki through the lens of Kyon's ignorance instead of feeling like we actually are Yuki.

If you are the kind of person who likes the Theater of the Absurd or that movie "Funny Games", then I guess we can boil it down to a simple difference of taste. But I just want to point out that yes, I get why they're doing it and why it might be seen and clever and experimental, but no, I don't think it succeeds as art and definitely not as entertainment.

Last edited by daisekihan; 2009-07-03 at 06:37.
Old 2009-07-03, 04:38   Link #240
paladinenvec

My opinion of this chapter can be resumed in 4 words!
Fucking painful to watch!!!
I didn't even bothered to watch the chapter entirely i just saw first if the ending was different, but hell no...Kyon gave up again.
Closed Thread