AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-08-11, 14:56   Link #1
madlobster

Good 10-13 episode series?

I'm looking for a completed 10-13 episode series to download and watch. Some that i've already watched are:
Gantz
Green Green
Midori no Hibi
Yugo
Yumeria
Any suggestions?
Old 2004-08-11, 15:23   Link #2
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Meaning which? I think of a "good 13-episode series" as something with just enough story to fill up all the episodes rather than the kind of thing where they break off a tiny hunk off a bigger story. Which is kind of different to what you have listed here, although Yugo did a nice job of using 3 self-contained story arcs.

The stuff you have here is a jumble of various types of mainly seinen, but you didn't say what specifically you are looking for. Anyway, here are some of what I consider to be good unlicensed short series.

St. Luminous Mission High School - odd mystery series with a weird premise. Great soundtrack, not-so-great visuals. Good story, wimpy ending.

Narutaru - starts off cute, ends really sick and twisted. Violent and disturbing. Some might disagree about the length or ending but I say enough was enough.

Kokoro Library - starts off cute, ends up cute. Story is small and sentimental but well-developed. Characters well-crafted. Great soundtrack, OP and ED.

Iketeru Futari - 16 episodes, but they are about 5 minutes each - so all told this is a very short series. Silly and funny, with loads of fanservice. Romantic comedy without the harem and turtles, the image songs and the endless specials...

There are lots more but they all get licensed nowadays...
Old 2004-08-11, 15:40   Link #3
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Narutaru : one of the best series ever, quite dark and disturbing

Kita He ~ Diamond Dust Drops ~ : very warm and touching series

Kanon : great romance fairy-tale

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito : great series if you can get over the lesbian theme.

Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien : good j-drama type of series

Kikou Sennyo Rouran : it's 28 episodes but the actual length is 13 eposodes. good mecha anime.

There are some other great licensed series, like Gunslinger Girl, Hundred Stories/Requiem from Darkness, POPOTAN, Lain, Boogiepop Phantom, Paranoia Agent, etc. etc.

Last edited by dreamless; 2004-08-11 at 15:56.
Old 2004-08-11, 16:26   Link #4
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

well I can't recall any thats not licensed but good are Vandread 1st and 2nd stage, oh my goddess, Kimi ga nozomu eien and Initial D.
Old 2004-08-11, 16:48   Link #5
7thMethuselah

some good 13 episode series are

Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien : dead serious and depressing romance story, I love it

SaishuuHeiki Kanojo (saikano) : the most emotional anime I(ve ever seen, other pale in comparison, romance/drama, very depressing and sad, left me breathless for days to come ...

Serial Experiments Lain : well quite a "different" anime, not to mention it'll mess with your head, if you can figure it out, let me know and explain it to me

Shingetsutan Tsukihime : dark and mysterious, a compelling atmosphere, great anime

To Heart : one of the better slice-of-life anime available! One of my favorites.
Old 2004-08-11, 17:00   Link #6
madlobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
Meaning which? I think of a "good 13-episode series" as something with just enough story to fill up all the episodes rather than the kind of thing where they break off a tiny hunk off a bigger story.
I agree. That's the type I'm looking for.

Quote:
The stuff you have here is a jumble of various types of mainly seinen, but you didn't say what specifically you are looking for.
I'm not really looking for any particular genre. I'm open to all suggestions, as long as the series isn't too long.
Old 2004-08-11, 19:13   Link #7
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Serial Experiments Lain: The deepest anime I have ever watched, so deep you just might drown in it. Therre is no way you can understand it in one watch through - thats why I reccomend watching it another 3 times XD. LICENSED

Popotan: A little muffled in ecchi, but it has a nice message and a good story about friends. The art is also very nice. LICENSED

Shingetsutan Tsukihime: I heard it was good, nice and dark though I haven't seen it myself. Opening seems nice though. One of the few good game based shows. LICENSED

Narutaru: Haven't seen it, only heard it was good. Nice, dark and violent. Though it acts like pokemon at the first, hehe, or so says gotwoot.net.

Niea_7: No real important plot, but good enough to keep you watching. Interesting aswell. LICENSED

Bottle Fairy: Cute, educational, funny...what else could you want!? Good messages, even if its a kid show - I reccomend it to everyone. Good thing is another 2 seasons are coming sometime soon ^_^
Old 2004-08-11, 23:32   Link #8
NarutoHead

Send a message via AIM to NarutoHead
Fumoffu- Fumo!! Fumo!! Fumoffu!!

get it or you'll turn into a Banta-kun.
Old 2004-08-11, 23:42   Link #9
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

I will suggest King of Bandit Jing and Gokusen... both are pretty entertaining shows... out of the two, I prefer King of Bandit Jing... the art is nice and each episode are mostly stand-alone episodes (no major story arcs)... if you can stand a bit of repetitive animation for his attacks, the good art and designs will surely hook you... Gokusen is also an alright show... it's a comedy and the art is somewhat differerent from the usual stuff you see... I liked it...
Old 2004-08-12, 00:01   Link #10
pipen53

Send a message via MSN to pipen53
Wink

im actually looking for a few good anime series as well, mainly romance comedy or sports stuff. i dont really care how long it is as long as there IS a CONCLUSION. I get so frustrated if the series doesnt end properly, what i mean by properly is that the series ties everything off or as much as possible. not leave us hanging with some loose ends. the first time that happened to me was with a series i cant recall, it made me so angry i wanted to fly to japan and shoot the writers for the series. even watching the OVA wasnt satisfying. I dun care if its a bad ending as long as there is a ending. anyone got any recommendations. i live in Australia so tell me about the licenced stuff as well. Not a lot of anime gets licenced in Australia unfortuantely. lucky for me i live in the piracy capital of Australia :P jk
Old 2004-08-12, 00:20   Link #11
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipen53
...I get so frustrated if the series doesnt end properly, what i mean by properly is that the series ties everything off or as much as possible...
This plaint is beyond the scope of this thread - if you need a list of titles you should start another thread looking for suggestions for anime with definite endings.

Open endings are part of Japanese storytelling and don't have all that much to do with how many episodes an anime series runs to, or for an adaptation, how much of the source material was adapted. Open endings are also not stock setups for sequels. Plenty of Japanese novels for example close on a suggestive but indeterminate scene.
Old 2004-08-12, 00:33   Link #12
NarutoHead

Send a message via AIM to NarutoHead
open ending can suck on a big fat jelly donut.
Old 2004-08-12, 01:40   Link #13
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoHead
open ending can suck on a big fat jelly donut.
Thanks for sharing your feelings and making an important contribution to the thread.
Old 2004-08-13, 05:58   Link #14
SinnerChrno
Maverick Hunter

Since it hasn't been mentioned I will recommend Kono Minikukumo Utsukushii Sekai (12 episodes) as I have just finished this series up myself.

A mouthful, indeed.
Old 2004-08-13, 18:24   Link #15
locknoir

I'd recommend Saikano =x nice drama and with a nice ending .
Old 2004-08-13, 19:19   Link #16
MarcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Kanon : great romance fairy-tale
There are three fansub groups who subbed Kano : http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/108.html

Elite-Fansubs / AI&A-F / Ishin-Anime.

I wonder which group has the best video- and sub quality ?
The torrents for the Elite-Fansubs are hosted by Animesuki. So I guess the Elite-Fansubs group is the best version ?.
Old 2004-08-14, 00:46   Link #17
eXistenZ
pls..crac...anime need

i could use some suggestions for short series as well.

i loved saikano, love story, end of the world, played with my mind.

i think ill watch narutaru, but i could use more suggestions, dark and mind boggling would be a hit with me.
Closed Thread