AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 14
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 103 45.98%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 58 25.89%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 19 8.48%
7 out of 10 : Good... 16 7.14%
6 out of 10 : Average... 10 4.46%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.45%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 5 2.23%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 3 1.34%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.45%
1 out of 10 : Tortuous... 8 3.57%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-10-07, 05:30   Link #261
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I thought it was the mad scientist of Steins; Gate talking....
oh yea.... similar face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetail1989 View Post
Will they change the name of the anime in the second arc?I mean no more SAO already afterall
..??it can't still be named sword art online when it's completely
Different stuff.
well... I believe the light novel title still Sword Art Online

arc change won't change the title
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 05:37   Link #262
Alucard24

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, assuming you take literally what we were shown here, Kirito was automatically logged out when the deletion of SAO was completed. We can presume, since they both "beat the game" (per Kayaba) that Asuna was logged-out of SAO as well (since, well, there is no SAO anymore).
Yeah, all account have been deleted and most likely, Yui was too....
Alucard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 05:39   Link #263
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard24 View Post
But Kirito managed to secure of Yui's file remember? So hopes are up....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 05:51   Link #264
MartianMage

Well just watched this episode and well... it's so full of Deus Ex Machinas it's not even funny <_<

Didn't really feel anything about the episode except "oh it's over?" Well at the very least I'm still interested how they will continue on from here cause I've heard there are still more arcs and a season 2 is in the works.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 05:55   Link #265
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard24 View Post
Kirito transferred her main program to his NerveGear in Ep.12, though he said that recreating the Yui they know will be hard (if not impossible).
Old 2012-10-07, 06:02   Link #266
Rakshasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
Well just watched this episode and well... it's so full of Deus Ex Machinas it's not even funny <_<

Didn't really feel anything about the episode except "oh it's over?" Well at the very least I'm still interested how they will continue on from here cause I've heard there are still more arcs and a season 2 is in the works.
Yes, Kayaba is very much a Deus Ex Machina, but I don't see why he would be detrimental to the story.
Old 2012-10-07, 06:11   Link #267
Rakshasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
The final fight was okay-ish, but why the hell did Kirito go for a skillshot when he KNEW that Heathcliff would parry and counter them all? Kinda wtf but whatever...the rest was awesome, from double penetration death to limbo time to hospital wake-up. Very emotional last in-game moments with Asuna, I hope he finds her irl too! (but wait a couple of years kids, underage sex is probably illegal)
They are not as anal about sex here in Japan as in the US.

In any case that the game ended was rather surprising, despite the episode title. Kinda hard to imagine how they will portray life out-of-game.
Old 2012-10-07, 06:11   Link #268
MartianMage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshasa View Post
Yes, Kayaba is very much a Deus Ex Machina, but I don't see why he would be detrimental to the story.
Wasn't really referring to Kayaba. I'm pretty I'm not the only one complaining with all the asspulls(asuna breaking paralysis, kirito coming back from dead status to kill kayaba, them being alive after all that) that went on with this episode.

kayaba: I'm sure I didn't program it that way but oh well whatever lulx <_<
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
Old 2012-10-07, 06:12   Link #269
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Isn't it only a Deus Ex Machina when it comes out of nowhere?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 06:15   Link #270
MartianMage

And it does come out of nowhere.
Old 2012-10-07, 06:28   Link #271
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
But but but... for this story if there is a Deus Ex Machina wouldn't that be WUV

Kayaba was a tricked out evil dude, who seems to have no regard for human life. The SAO is his system, so the god like game changer is what ever allowed Asuna to sacrifice herself for Kirito, and what ever allowed Kirito to not let their deaths go in vain!
Old 2012-10-07, 06:33   Link #272
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Wasn't really referring to Kayaba. I'm pretty I'm not the only one complaining with all the asspulls(asuna breaking paralysis, kirito coming back from dead status to kill kayaba, them being alive after all that) that went on with this episode.
Them being alive after it all is the one thing that I can't find unrealistic because we actually have no idea how long it takes to really kill someone after they disappear from the SAO game world. You might just assume that they physically die the very moment they disappear... but that's never actually confirmed. It's just a guess. So for us to find out now that death doesn't happen the very instant you disappear is new information that wasn't previously available because we stayed focus 100% on what was happening in the game.

The other two... after much discussion in this thread and elsewhere, I think it really hinges on Kayaba's comment that they exceeded the rules of the game. How they did that hasn't been explained yet, but if it is explained or referenced again later in the story, it might help. (And sure, "The Power Of Love" is one explanation... but I'm thinking there may also be a bit more to it than that. )
Old 2012-10-07, 06:36   Link #273
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Well, technically, Ainclad is moderated by the Cardinal, which is automated to a high degree. Although Heathcliff had GM powah, maybe he didn't take into account all of the parameters that the various AI branches could calculate and temper with...but yeah, willpower.
Quote:
they exceeded the rules of the game
A fun explanation would be lag When you lag a lot, you can still move around, use skills and deplete enemy HP while everything else is freezing for a bit and then everything just bursts up to speed. Could say that Kirito's mind lingered in SAO long enough to safely disconnect before his death verdict resolved.

No clue on Asuna's para break though. I'd lol if it's because her cooking skill is maxed out.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 06:47   Link #274
Rakshasa

Quote:

kayaba: I'm sure I didn't program it that way but oh well whatever lulx <_<
Ok then, Cardinal is one big Deus Ex Machina then.

Seriously, there are, quite literally, deus ex machnias in the story so why is it so hard to accept them doing some deus ex machina type stuff? To keep the game balanced Cardinal could easily decide to un-paralyse Asuna, etc.
Old 2012-10-07, 06:52   Link #275
MartianMage

Quote:

Seriously, there are, quite literally, deus ex machnias in the story so why is it so hard to accept them doing some deus ex machina type stuff? To keep the game balanced Cardinal could easily decide to un-paralyse Asuna, etc.
Deus Ex Machinas are always hard to accept.

And it may be the work of Cardinal but it may be not. It was never implied that it was the Cardinal's doing. That's the problem with Deus Ex Machinas you never know if it was intentional or just sloppy writing. <_<
Old 2012-10-07, 06:54   Link #276
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:

Well, in fairness, it's not necessarily hard to accept if that's the explanation that's given (though people may find that to be a bit cheap -- a plot, like any good mystery, should generally provide the reader/viewer with all the clues they need to see things coming in retrospect, even while doing its darnedest to keep things a surprise). But the key problem here is that it wasn't explained, so we're left to grasp at straws. I kind of enjoy that myself... but I can see why some might find that frustrating.

Personally, I find the "Cardinal did it" explanation to conflict with the "surpassing the rules of the game" explanation Kayaba gave, so I can't quite buy that one (though it is also plausible). And you are right, though -- there are "Gods" in this story, so that does need to be kept in mind.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, back in Episode 10, there were some novel comparisons for things not explained in the anime that may actually have helped foreshadow this. (Which granted is a problem if this is supposed to be the case.)

Spoiler for Comparison to what I remember someone saying the novel said back in episode 10... ^^; (can someone confirm?):

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-07 at 07:07.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 06:58   Link #277
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
No clue on Asuna's para break though. I'd lol if it's because her cooking skill is maxed out.
Paralysis nearly killed Kirito, so it wouldn't' surprise me if she has been working on an antidote.
Old 2012-10-07, 07:03   Link #278
MartianMage

Quote:
Them being alive after it all is the one thing that I can't find unrealistic because we actually have no idea how long it takes to really kill someone after they disappear from the SAO game world. You might just assume that they physically die the very moment they disappear... but that's never actually confirmed. It's just a guess. So for us to find out now that death doesn't happen the very instant you disappear is new information that wasn't previously available because we stayed focus 100% on what was happening in the game.

The other two... after much discussion in this thread and elsewhere, I think it really hinges on Kayaba's comment that they exceeded the rules of the game. How they did that hasn't been explained yet, but if it is explained or referenced again later in the story, it might help. (And sure, "The Power Of Love" is one explanation... but I'm thinking there may also be a bit more to it than that. )
I guess that's true but as others have said regarding all of these asspulls on other websites... Kawahara Reki could have avoided all of these if he just gave an actual explanation. Yes, I'm saying Kawahara Reki cause LN readers confirm that Aincrad arc is indeed full of asspulls.
Old 2012-10-07, 07:18   Link #279
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Paralysis nearly killed Kirito, so it wouldn't' surprise me if she has been working on an antidote.
Even if she did, Heathcliff said that you can't remove paralysis by yourself - and everyone except him and Kirito were down. Anyway...

SAO was a unique game in more ways than one, so having an element of the unknown only made it better for me. Overall I'd give 8.5/10 to the Aincrad arc.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 07:47   Link #280
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
We know it's fast enough to make just yanking the helmets impractical. But we also know that the process doesn't actually start for a few seconds after HP reaches zero, or the resurrection item wouldn't work.

Maybe all the guys who died had to sit through a recording of Kayaba telling them he didn't remember why he killed them.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote