AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Negima

Notices

View Poll Results: Negima Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 9 30.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 33.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 30.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 0 0%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-30, 23:12   Link #1
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Negima Episode 5 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Negima, Episode 5!

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for raws.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the game or manga out of the anime thread.
    If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the game or manga, either PM them or use spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for title:
Old 2006-11-01, 09:49   Link #2
Katapan
俺様祭り

We already get a few changes in the OP - I'm not 100% sure about which characters are speaking this time though. I can clearly hear Ayaka's voice, and the other 2 should be Makie and Ku Fei?

Well, there was a lot of humor this time.

Spoiler for ep5:

I believe there was a REC reference during the Chisame scene, with the same movements as Aka in the OP during a photo shoot? I'm sure there were a lot more, as usual.
Old 2006-11-01, 13:49   Link #3
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
Spoiler for ep5:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-01, 17:02   Link #4
Cai Calamigarde
Memento mori...

nice and impressive,
and a bit fast
Old 2006-11-01, 18:43   Link #5
Anacone
Lazy Poster

Send a message via MSN to Anacone
Unlike PPD, this feels like its going somewhere. And jokes are much simpler (good thing) and it has style. I'm not fond of big cast but already started liking Negima, Evangeline and Chamo. But after this episode I'm bit afraid that Pactio system with huge cast breaks storytelling and it becomes to group of amusing but not enough small stories.

Edit: I need to add that having big cast can interrupt strongly with creating necessary emotional bond to one or more characters. Luckily Negima looks just like me Does admitting this increase my points among girls .

Last edited by Anacone; 2006-11-01 at 19:20.
Old 2006-11-01, 18:49   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The big cast is a fundamental part of the manga .... the director of this appears to be lampooning it a bit (students listed by number in OP) while making use of it. It'll be interesting to see if he can differentiate them enough for the casual viewer who hasn't read the manga.
Old 2006-11-01, 19:40   Link #7
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Somehow Nodoka wearing glasses looks like Nagato from Haruhi.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2006-11-01, 22:40   Link #8
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Wow! The editing in this episode was amazing! Huge props out to the editor, sound engineers and animation director. Fabulous technical work. None of the editing felt uncomfortable or unnatural. Some of the best editing I’ve run across since FLCL.
Old 2006-11-01, 23:45   Link #9
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
lol nodoka is cute...i love her reactions reading negi's thoughts after doing some small actions to get his attention
there are tonnes of random scenes but the do not feel too out of place thank god ^_^
the card piced for asuna this time turned her into a pig lol!!!...
wee! konoka pactio negi's reaction was also entertaining to watch...lucky guy? ofc he is!

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-11-02, 02:25   Link #10
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

ワッフルワッフル
The 2ch jokes went overboard with the Chiu section.

There's a heck of a lot more jokes in this episode, I couldn't stop laughing.

The animation is getting a little extreme as well, some of the still cuts with people teleporting around is starting to remind me of School Days. But the action scenes are still nicely done, so I guess it's meant to be like that.

Kamo got rejected because of his breed (also means bad fur).
Noto fans will probably drool all over Nodoka's scene though.

And there sure is a lot of pointlessly weird places in Mahora, like a giant empty food court(?) with incredibly expensive foods listed in dollars. ^^;
And a graveyard that seems to be there for absolutely no reason.

The Chupa club bakas walking around yelling "effort" "future" and "50 yen off" killed me.
Old 2006-11-02, 16:45   Link #11
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y View Post
Kamo got rejected because of his breed (also means bad fur).

The Chupa club bakas walking around yelling "effort" "future" and "50 yen off" killed me.
haha.. This is precisely why I'm glued to the screen when Negima!? is on. Like you, just couldn't stop laughing in this episode from as much as I understood by watching the RAW. The translation is going to make this episode even funnier. Oh goody! Took some screencap..

Asuna is exercising her vocal cords in the following. Some might call it singing but I believe it's a ritualistic chant where notes and melody are way overrated as long as the message is gotten out. Looking forward to what Sinbou will do next week.

Old 2006-11-03, 01:42   Link #12
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Totally hilarious. "Glued to the screen" is right. The time just zips by. There is so much going on, most of it mirth-inducing -- when it isn't awe-inspiring (the movement, angles, colors). And the OP is just getting better and better for me, everything working together for the effect. I do look forward to the sub. But first I look forward to the 16:9 version.

And as a fan of Noto-kawaii-yo-Noto, yes, Sushi-Y, yes. Surely Notoka's #1 net idol ranking is well earned, lol. But Konoka's expression was also beautifully animated in the choice scene in the hallway with Negi and Setsuna.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-11-03 at 02:01.
Old 2006-11-03, 15:16   Link #13
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I just had to rewatch it again and have noticed few more things that I didn't in my first viewing.

Spoiler:

I also wish I watched the wide screen RAW since some of the details are cut off in the 4:3 version. Btw, couple more amusing screencaps, though, I think in one of the screencaps, Shinbou might be channeling his own thoughts. Try to guess which one..

Old 2006-11-04, 14:00   Link #14
Child_of_Sierra

3 pactios by episode 5...nice very nice

I like how they handled konoka's pactio buildup. It may not be what I expected but it was still done very much the way No.13 would have in such a situation. (Setsuna was like )

With all the seemingly random scenes and images I'm amazed that something still happens within the episode that is central to the plot. And we get some nice character development to boot for quite a lot of 3-A girls too.

Spoiler for shana parody:
Old 2006-11-04, 18:38   Link #15
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Totally hilarious. "Glued to the screen" is right. The time just zips by. There is so much going on, most of it mirth-inducing -- when it isn't awe-inspiring (the movement, angles, colors). And the OP is just getting better and better for me, everything working together for the effect.
Totally agree with this. For the OP in particular, I absolutely loved the added piano parts in the background, and the solo line in the music is amazing. I wasn't a huge fan of Happy Material, but if they're going to be selling 8 different versions of 1000% Sparking, I'm in. King Records knows how to make money. Agree about the episode too; I was totally glued to the screen. If I had to pick a favourite moment, it would have to be when Nodoka figures out what the book does and gives this evil smile, sort of like "Oh, I've got you now..." I also thought Konoka's pactio was great, and lined up with her thoughts from the first version of 1000% Sparking. Very well done.
Old 2006-11-05, 12:44   Link #16
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child_of_Sierra View Post
3 pactios by episode 5...nice very nice
That's one thing that I'm liking about the new Negima series: Shinbo is well aware of the importance of the Pactios that Negi made during the manga versions of the Evangeline arc and
Spoiler for manga:
Hence, in order to avoid the same mistake that Xebec made in their version of Negima (and to avoid the possible wraith of angry Negima fans), Shinbo is making sure that Negi's main Ministra Magi receive their Pactios early on in the new series.

Quote:
With all the seemingly random scenes and images I'm amazed that something still happens within the episode that is central to the plot. And we get some nice character development to boot for quite a lot of 3-A girls too.
You can definitely give some credit for that to Shinbo's experience working on Pani Poni Dash. In a few episodes of that show, Shinbo is able to make full use of the show's huge cast by inserting scenes featuring some of the minor characters in between scenes that focus on the main storyline of the episode.

Quote:
Spoiler for shana parody:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-05, 13:54   Link #17
Child_of_Sierra

Well considering that knowledge of the production team's past and current projects is also a requisite to understand some of the jokes, (which seems to appear every other minute or so) I'm listing Negima!? as one of the "deep" shows for this season

The best part with this type of direction (referencing other works) is that you always find something new to appreciate when watching the episode again.

And um just so my post has something episode 5 specific...
some observations:

Ayaka is now girl 13. (in OP)
someone in the staff likes sculptures...
nodoka gets entangled in vines, konoka gets entangled in tree branches, the next girl is entangled in...?

Last edited by Child_of_Sierra; 2006-11-05 at 14:25.
Old 2006-11-06, 13:06   Link #18
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child_of_Sierra View Post
And um just so my post has something episode 5 specific...
some observations:

Ayaka is now girl 13. (in OP)
Can you say animation error?

Quote:
nodoka gets entangled in vines, konoka gets entangled in tree branches, the next girl is entangled in...?
Spoiler for possible guess:
Old 2006-11-10, 23:13   Link #19
Azure22
Magic Pilot

Send a message via AIM to Azure22
Ok, again, Takahata looks ominous to me in this episode, when the two chibi dudes are playing with cleanex.

On a side note, this episode seemed far to abrupt to me in everything it did. The change of scene right at the end was far too sped up, and now that I've seen episode 6, I feel confident that those events, coupled with the last few events in this episode, could have been made into two seperate episodes. Don't get me wrong, this was still a great ep (from what I could tell without speaking Japanese,) but it felt a bit too random when it was serious. Random humor is great, random action is a bit... Childish. There simply wasn't enough build up.
Old 2006-11-23, 04:45   Link #20
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Cool, I always wondered what Honoka's powers where ever since the first Maho Negima anime because they never went into detail near the end where she was using her book. Ha, Kamo got burned by words of truth!

Hmm, I'm starting to wonder if every episode from now is going to show Negi making a pact with each of the girls. It be kind of interesting to see each of there powers but that would just not well for the anime.