AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-21, 09:31   Link #241
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

just got a question since I dunno that much Japanese language.

the last episodes Konata and Tsukasa are always saying - IKAHUDO and Dondake.

what do those mean? I got my subs from Gurren.
Old 2007-09-21, 10:53   Link #242
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ikahodo is a slang term that very roughly corresponds to "WTF?" or "what the hell" or more literally - "how much???"

Dondake is a slang term derived from the gay community that I almost translate as "!!!!??!!!". It can apparently be used for "wtf?" or "How the f*** are you?" or a few other almost meaningless rude terms of "!?"

When translating... every language has a few terms that really just don'[t translate at all without an entire paragraph of footnotes.

edit: I should qualify that the F*** word is being used in this context as a meaningless but crude expletive rather than with any connection to sex. Its just that "what the hell???" doesn't have the impact these days... we've pretty much run out of "shocking" words to be used sparingly.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-09-21 at 11:24.
Old 2007-09-21, 11:11   Link #243
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

thx alot Vexx.

My GOD!!! If you put it in literal way, Konata and Tsukasa is always saying "WTF" XD

Japanese language is really hard.
Old 2007-09-21, 13:28   Link #244
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

This is perhaps the 4th time I've tried to answer this...

Dondake is a slang which originated in the gay area of Shinjuku, and made popular by a gay entertainer named Ikko. Soon high school girls around Harajuku started to use it, and eventually picked up by the mass media. Soon many TV "talentos" started to use it, and even TV doramas. In the recently aired Dorama "Operation Proposal", Johnny's hottie Yamashita Tomohisa (Yamapi) used the word extensively, making it popular even among normal teens.

I'm not clear about the exact origin of Ikahodo, but they have the exact same meaning. The Harajuku teens and possibly the gay population started to use it instead of dondake, and many people have been arguing which is the "correct" or the "cool" term to use. Hence the joke in L*S is that like regular girls, L*S girls also debate about this. Ikahodo is rather new and it's catching up in popularity as the new cool slang to use. The dondake vs ikahodo debate has evolved into the hip dialog of when some one say "Dondake?", you automatically respond with "Ikehodo!".

Dondake was nominated as one of the coolest new slang of 2007 by a site I saw recently, but I think Ikehodo will catch up too. I think Ikahodo came about because the underground slang "dondake" has been appropriated by the Japanese main stream, and the moment that happens, it stopped being cool; thus a new cool term came about to replace it. Among the various sub-culture of Japan (of which otaku is one of them), the hate for the mainstream media is stronger than anything we have in the West. Just like the otaku, they shun the mainstream stuff unless forced.

I must say I'm very impressed with how current Lucky Star is with Japanese popular culture. It's like a social satire/commentary in anime form. I'm quite certain that the dondake/ikahodo debate is utterly out of the otaku's realm of reference, and yet they're making several references to it, including a radio "debate" between the Hiiragi Sisters on the Lucky Channel Radio Show a few weeks ago. KyoAni is trying to do something revolutionary here, and I sure hope they'd continue.

EDIT: changed ikehodo to ikahodo as that's the more popular version.

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-09-21 at 14:37.
Old 2007-09-21, 14:15   Link #245
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Trivia point: is it "Ikehodo" 「いけほど」 or "Ikahodo" 「いかほど」 ? I've seen it spelled both ways by fairly reputable sources.
Old 2007-09-21, 14:21   Link #246
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
When translating... every language has a few terms that really just don't translate at all without an entire paragraph of footnotes.
The word 'moe' pops up in my mind...I've never seen a good explanation...like Konata said, understanding the meaning of 'moe' means you're one of them...
Old 2007-09-21, 14:36   Link #247
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Trivia point: is it "Ikehodo" 「いけほど」 or "Ikahodo" 「いかほど」 ? I've seen it spelled both ways by fairly reputable sources.
Good point, I'm confused myself. I should have written iKAhodo since it looks like that's the more popular version. I'm thinking they're linked together and one maybe the mispronunciation of the other. I do see more poeple complaining about their lack of understanding for ikahodo.

いかほど sounded as if it has something to do with squids, not that いけほど sounded any better. Personally, I like dondake better. It just sounded more bad-ass than ikahodo/ikehodo.
Old 2007-09-22, 06:05   Link #248
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

Okay, having not watched the final episode... I want to ask about the commercial after the episode. Was there any "Coming soon by KyoAni" CM?
Old 2007-09-22, 11:20   Link #249
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggart View Post
Okay, having not watched the final episode... I want to ask about the commercial after the episode. Was there any "Coming soon by KyoAni" CM?
Nope -- no "coming soon" commercials (although some networks announced what would be airing next in that timeslot).
Old 2007-09-23, 03:07   Link #250
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Hi guys,

I was looking around and i see few diffrent fansubbers actually subbed Lucky star. A.F.K. is a good fansub but i personally dont like how they translate things like Moe,.... . So i was wondering between other fansubbers which one i should pick. Thanks alot in advance.
Old 2007-09-23, 11:39   Link #251
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
Hi guys,

I was looking around and i see few diffrent fansubbers actually subbed Lucky star. A.F.K. is a good fansub but i personally dont like how they translate things like Moe,.... . So i was wondering between other fansubbers which one i should pick. Thanks alot in advance.
Guerrand.
http://www.animesuki.com/group.php/734.html
Old 2007-09-23, 12:25   Link #252
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

My favorites were EnA but they seem to have been buried by RL or something.
Guerrand's speed subs are actually pretty decent and they're the only ones to have finished the series so far.
A.F.K. does excellent work... but *for me* their style of translation doesn't really serve this sort of show well. Roughly, I don't want to have to worry about whether I'm watching an a.f.k. joke instead of a Lucky*Star joke. It doesn't happen very often but when it does is can be jarring.
Old 2007-09-23, 23:33   Link #253
game2007

I heard somewhere that Ayano is the only girl in the series with a boyfriend, right? I think I got it from Chinese Wikipedia. LS has quite a strong cult following in Taiwan, and it's Chinese Uncyclopedia page is obsessed with it.
Old 2007-09-24, 07:00   Link #254
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by game2007 View Post
I heard somewhere that Ayano is the only girl in the series with a boyfriend, right? I think I got it from Chinese Wikipedia. LS has quite a strong cult following in Taiwan, and it's Chinese Uncyclopedia page is obsessed with it.
Ayano has a boyfriend?!!

Now we really need a second season of L*S!!!
Old 2007-09-24, 22:47   Link #255
game2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Ayano has a boyfriend?!!

Now we really need a second season of L*S!!!
And supposedly, she keeps her hair pulled back for the reason her boyfriend gave her the whatever you call that u-shaped thing, and uses it to keep her hair back as a respect to her boyfriend for the gift he gave her.
Old 2007-09-25, 01:48   Link #256
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
And supposedly, she keeps her hair pulled back for the reason her boyfriend gave her the whatever you call that u-shaped thing, and uses it to keep her hair back as a respect to her boyfriend for the gift he gave her.
Quote:
The Chinese Wikipedia agrees with the boyfriend part, but makes no connection between that and her tying her hair back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%B9%B8%E9%81%8B%E2%98%86%E6%98%9F#.E4.B8.BB.E8. A6.81.E8.A7.92.E8.89.B2
峰岸綾乃(峰岸 あやの(みねぎし あやの), 峰岸綾乃 聲優:後藤邑子/相澤舞)
11月4日出生。血型AB,身高160cm。住於埼玉縣。拿手科目是日語,不擅長的科目是數學。鏡的同班同 學。自國中開始,連續五年與美紗緒與鏡同班。美紗緒的青梅竹馬。用卡秋沙(Kachusha)頭飾帶綁著長 髮。所以前髮會從上面往後吊,變成禿額角色。行為舉止優良且愛照顧人,有著類似於美紗緒監護人般的身分。眾 人中唯一有男朋友的角色。
My translation:
Ayano Minegishi, Voiced by: Yuko Goto / Mai Aizawa

Born in November 4, she has AB type blood, and is 160cm tall. She lives in Saitama. She is good at Japanese, and bad at mathematics. She, Misao, and Kagami have been classmates for 5 years since junior high school, and is a dear childhood friend to Misao. She ties back her long hair with a hair comb along with her front hair, making her forehead considerably bald. She is very discreet, and likes to take care of people, making her a guardian of sorts to Misao. She is the only one of all the student characters with a boyfriend.

------

Personally, I've never seen this part of her bio, so it must have come from volume 5. I'd welcome Lucky*Star season 2 if the author continues to write up less mundane details like this.
Old 2007-09-25, 02:19   Link #257
game2007

Must've read wrong.
Old 2007-10-02, 07:18   Link #258
kim8268

Im just asking if there will be a season 2 of lucky star or a spesial episode (please answer me, sob sob)
Old 2007-10-02, 08:30   Link #259
red ribbon

so have they ever showed ayano's boyfreind in the manga
Old 2007-10-02, 10:15   Link #260
Calawain
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim8268 View Post
Im just asking if there will be a season 2 of lucky star or a spesial episode (please answer me, sob sob)
Nothing announced, but we had a discussion about it starting HERE
Closed Thread