AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2010-11-17, 17:26   Link #521
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Not like that, you pervy wankers.
Hey you're the one that said it.
Old 2010-11-17, 19:52   Link #522
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

1000% FACTUAL LINER NOTES (Episode 5)

Kawamori's Commentary
#05 - Star Date
Script:Hiroyuki Yoshino / Storyboard: Yasuhito Kikuchi / Production: Takayuki Fukuda / Art Diection: Hiroki Marufuji
The scouting trip to San Francisco and Las Vegas, accompanied by Director Kikuchi, provided a terribly charming background for Sheryl. I can completely understand why people would fall all over themselves for her (laughs). In order to give Ranka, having just failed in the Miss Macross Frontier Contest, her debut into the entertainment world, we made the street concert scene. We were thinkng about what would push her to her chance to sing; of course it would be Alto's paper airplane...

Macross Check! (from DVD Vol. 3 Booklet)
1. Alto and Sheryl go on a date, just like Hikaru and Minmay went on a date in DYRL. In DYRL, they went for hamburgers, so Alto and Sheryl go for hot dogs. [Yot-chan's note: The DVD booklet misses my favorite homage in the entire series. When Hikaru meets up with Minmay in the park in DYRL, she says, "Atashi to ishou ja, iya?" ("Don't you want to go with me?"). In the locker room, Sheryl says EXACTLY the same line in EXACTLY the same way. Awesome.]

2. The Zentradi mall is named "Formo," which is the surname of Exsedol Formo, from SDFM and Mac7.
Old 2010-11-17, 20:13   Link #523
Father Hentai

As all was mostly mentioned, I just want to add that the drummer looked like Basara only a bit chubby

And yes, locker room scene was the best. Also it was nice to see how the "romance between Alto and Sheryl begins to bloom. Or at least why Sheryl starts to like Alto.
Old 2010-11-17, 20:14   Link #524
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
As all was mostly mentioned, I just want to add that the drummer looked like Basara only a bit chubby
Smeone mentioned that before, Shiroth I think.

Quote:
And yes, locker room scene was the best. Also it was nice to see how the "romance between Alto and Sheryl begins to bloom. Or at least why Sheryl starts to like Alto.
Yeah, I love the episodes/chapters where we see the "initial bloom" happen.
Old 2010-11-18, 02:33   Link #525
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Hey you're the one that said it.
Just pre-empting you guys.
Old 2010-11-18, 04:56   Link #526
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
[Yot-chan's note: The DVD booklet misses my favorite homage in the entire series. When Hikaru meets up with Minmay in the park in DYRL, she says, "Atashi to ishou ja, iya?" ("Don't you want to go with me?"). In the locker room, Sheryl says EXACTLY the same line in EXACTLY the same way. Awesome.]
I'm seriously surprised that wasn't mentioned in the notes. But yeah easily one of the best references we come across in the first half of the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Smeone mentioned that before, Shiroth I think.
Yeah that was me.
Old 2010-11-19, 23:11   Link #527
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Episode 6 - "Bye-Bye Sheryl"

Another enjoyable episode. We were given plenty of time with all of our characters and saw even more contrast between Sheryl & Ranka. While Sheryl is being strong and independent, Ranka is home eating pocky in incredibly childish pajamas. And of course, more of Alto's failure in romance.

Also, when did folding turn into tunnels? I remember the original Macross just disappearing and not going through a tunnel. Is it because of the different technology or something?

Spoiler for Comments with Screenshots:

Lastly...why does he hang the earring in the cockpit? That has got to be the worst place to put it. Get a damn necklace chain and put it around your neck!

Last edited by DragoZERO; 2010-11-20 at 16:38.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-19, 23:18   Link #528
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

^Alto always wanted a sort of decoration for his cockpit, that's why.

I also gotta agree with the contrast between Sheryl and Ranka. The pajamas!
This also has to be the episode where Alto/Sheryl sealed it for me, because the last episode I thought Sheryl was just having fun with him.
They also had a lot in common (careers, haterade for their fleets). I thought their meaningful conversation was nice and refreshing.

But my favorite part in the series was Diamond Crevasse as the SMS were readying for battle. (I also suspected death flags for Ozma here).
Old 2010-11-19, 23:37   Link #529
Westlo
Lets be reality

This episode brings back some fun memories, especially of ranka shippers on random curiosity pretty much /slitting their wrists, was hilarious, good read if the blog and its comments are still up at the new site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
We were thinkng about what would push her to her chance to sing; of course it would be Alto's paper airplane...
Personally thought that made her character weaker.. Michael's talk really should've been enough...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 00:59   Link #530
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

LOL, I still do remember RandomC.
It was a bad time for Sheryl's PR back in the days.
Old 2010-11-20, 02:16   Link #531
Solecs

Missed out on last week, though not much to say other than Sheryl .

As for this week, I really like the contrast between the happy-go-lucky last episode and the more serious side this time. The contrast between Ranka and Sheryl is also poignant as usual. It kind of makes dread what happens to Sheryl through the course of the series. I guess it's semi-karmic/redeeming since her current fame is manufactured she falls pretty hard and manages to eventually climb back. Her strength of character is really what sets her apart from Ranka. Ranka's expression when Ozma relented was pretty classic though.

Other points of interest include that awesome table, what looks like pink hippo pajamas, and Ranka having to run from what looks like half the city away to get to the concert. She must have really sprinted to make it there, though I guess there was no real time scale to compare it to.

Quote:
I draw the line at everything below 15 years. Which still is pretty low for a 35 year old, but looking don't hurt.
According to xkcd you're already well into the creepy range if you were to try dating a 15 year-old . If you like her enough you could always wait until you're 54 though .
Solecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 03:24   Link #532
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Hm...I distinctly remember supporting Ranka at this point when I first watched Frontier, probably because she was the underdog and Sheryl's early pushiness got to me... Now it's "Oh...so that's where he started thinking about why he was a pilot..." (not to mention all those moments where Alto looks unexpectedly gentle...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
But my favorite part in the series was Diamond Crevasse as the SMS were readying for battle. (I also suspected death flags for Ozma here).
Diamond Crevasse is my favourite Frontier song now, so I loved it here too...though I'm going to leave off naming a favourite moment until the rewatch is over, methinks. I just can't remember all the details at present!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Personally thought that made her character weaker.. Michael's talk really should've been enough...
So if they hadn't decided to put that it, the anti-Ranka faction would be a bit happier?

(Thanks for the notes, Yot-chan!)

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 04:47   Link #533
Ceci-chan
(・∀ノゝ)~キラ☆

“She needs that kind of appeal” Haha, oh, Michel. :P

Sheryl’s face when she’s singing Diamond Crevasse makes me want to cry. ;A; I remember that I first watched this episode thinking that she couldn’t possibly go back to Galaxy so soon, not when she’s building a relationship with Alto! Of course, now I know better.

Her DC outfit is <3. I think it’s one of her most elegant outfits in the series.

|facebook.twitter|
Ceci-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 05:18   Link #534
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecs View Post
According to xkcd you're already well into the creepy range if you were to try dating a 15 year-old . If you like her enough you could always wait until you're 54 though .
Dude, I said "looking". Dating a 15 year old? Ewwww. I tihnk I'd draw the line at at the very least at 18 and even that would feel wrong. Maybe 21. Maybe.
Old 2010-11-20, 05:48   Link #535
Father Hentai

Quote:
Episode 6 - "Bye-Bye Sheryl"

Another enjoyable episode. We were given plenty of time with all of our characters and saw even more contrast between Sheryl & Ranka. While Sheryl is being strong and independent, Ranka is home eating pocky in incredibly childish pajamas. And of course, more of Alto's failure in romance.
Sheryl = Star and her home fleet is being attacked
Ranka = A school student without any relation to Galaxy and not even an inch of being a star.

I don't see the reason to start to compare both in depth at this point already. Ranka is in complete disadvantage because we compare melons with apples.

Sheryl as well as Ranka do what they can only do at the moment. Sheryl: The show must go on. Ranka: Being a "normal" fleet citizen.

Quote:
Dude, I said "looking". Dating a 15 year old? Ewwww. I tihnk I'd draw the line at at the very least at 18 and even that would feel wrong. Maybe 21. Maybe.
Even though Wilder and Monica? are adults, but look at the age gap between both. :P

But at our age and with our civil moral and laws it's normal to dislike such thoughts. In other cultures... well, they get married even though they are children and in that culture it's "normal"
Old 2010-11-20, 06:01   Link #536
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

A solid episode, though this is probably where the character models start to loose a bit of beauty in them. I'm not complaining though, because this episode was beautiful when it needed to be, meaning Sheryl's Diamond Crevasse performance. Plus we all know that next weeks episode is the second best looking episode behind episode 25.

I've really got nothing against Ranka in this episode. She's acting the way you expect a girl in her situation (especially having Alto lie to her about being at the mall alone). Yeah she may be a bit old for the full body suit pj's, though we know she has a childish wardrobe (just look at her attire at the start of the episode ), so it works, really.

Sexual harassment on the bridge is okay as long as she likes it!

& of course one of my favorite scenes in watching Klan get into the Queadluun-Rhea.

Quote:
Lastly...why does he hang the earring in the cockpit?
So he can see it of course.

Quote:
Yet again the musice placement sideof the Macross franchise shines again, and it only get's better in the next episode. Plus i find that Diamond Crevasse makes exellent cliffhanger music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceci-chan View Post
Her DC outfit is <3. I think it’s one of her most elegant outfits in the series.
Without a doubt yes. It's amazing how well the blue aura of her hair and dress matches the song.
Old 2010-11-20, 06:13   Link #537
Father Hentai

I have to admit that I fell in love with Diamond Crevasse as well. The scene cuts between Sheryls singing and SMS departure was very emotional (for some people ) and perfect set.

Last edited by Father Hentai; 2010-11-20 at 06:56.
Father Hentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 08:19   Link #538
magnuskn

This episode is what clinched me for the Sheryl x Alto ship. Mostly by dint of a conversation and the glorious presentation of Diamond Crevasse.

00:00 – The whole prologue about space fold would only make real sense in the episodes to come. When I first saw the episode, it seemed like a somewhat useful info dump, but later on it became much for important than it seemed at this time.

00:37 – Who in his right mind would leave his sister in the care of a guy like Elmo? I guess if the option is having a wok thrown at your face for the foreseeable future, it’d make sense.

01:16 – Did we ever get a full version of what Sheryl was singing right here?

01:30 – It’s certainly good to see that Sheryl knows her business ( and is not only seen talking about knowing it ).

01:45 – Those little establishing shots of people being uneasy about Graces implants do help to elevate the importance of that fact.

03:52 – Yeah, Alto as if getting kissed by Sheryl didn’t affect you.

04:10 – So, does Michael have real concern for Alto being a “womanizer” or is he just having fun teasing Alto?

04:43 – It’s interesting to see that the first thing even Leon thinks about is trying the Minmay attack on the Vajra. But apparently the general belief at this time is that he Vajra are just mindless monsters and wouldn’t be able to understand it.

04:55 – The table of awesome.

05:10 – At least it’s not “Girls Gone Wild Promotions”.

05:50 – Heh, another of the subtle hints about Altos family problems.

06:10 – Yeah, “overthrow Sheryl”. Thanks for trying to disturb the friendship those two have, Nanase.

06:29 – Oh, Alto is just thrilled to be Ranka fan, I can see….

06:49 – I guess even Ranka notices the distinct lack of enthusiasm coming from Alto.

07:10 – One would think that Michael should be going after Nanase, but then again he has his own big-breasted girl who lusts after him.

07:55 – Well, why does Alto hide his going out with Sheryl? Not wanting to hurt Ranka
or trying to avoid confrontation?

08:05 – Yeah, to be honest if there wasn’t Sheryl, it’d seem pretty obvious where this is going. Too bad for Ranka that nothing did come of it.

08:19 – Michael sees it, too. Sniper eyes, indeed.

08:24 – The whole sequence that follows explains very succinctly how big a thread the Vajra are.

10:04 – I wonder… how much was Leon already planning to get rid of Cathy at this point? And why? Did he want her out of his hair, because he had seriously begun to plot the overthrow of President Glass, or because he wanted to get rid of her as his fiancée and had a long-term vision of simply foisting her off on Ozma?

10:18 – I love the eyecatch for this episode.

10:41 – Oh, wait, Ranka already is sixteen? I had thought her fifteen at this point. Oi. That makes her the same age as Alto and only one year younger than Sheryl? Double oi.

11:04 – Exposition time!

12:00 – Sheryl brings the smackdown on the cowardly reporter! Yeah!

12:31 – Sheryl SMASH puny reporter!

12:48 – I know they are “only” NUNS forces, but they still get the most bitching take-off sequence of all Valkyries. Besides the one in episode four for Altos graduation flight, that is.

13:25 – Good to see Monika gets a smidgen of personality, besides “the dutiful one”. Same for Captain Wilder, the old cradle robber.

13:38 – I never understood why Captain Wilder meant “Like a cat’s bell”. Anyone want to expound on that?

13:50 – Something I felt was totally missing in the movie: The reason why Cathy was suddenly part of the Frontier crew.

14:18 – Seems someone likes seeing Alto exert himself. Kinda like in the last episode with the tram.

14:30 – What an untypically Asiatic gesture from Sheryl…

14:34 - Yeah, Alto likes exerting himself for Sheryl, too.

14:40 – You can see the fondness in her expression.

16:00 – It’s interesting how subsequent publications ( the Sheryl manga for example ) would subvert that Sheryl didn’t remember her parents. An interesting continuity question, too.

16:20 – Alto is such a tsundere for Frontier.

16:30 – Sheryl understands Alto. And that already at this point in their relationship.

16:48 – How Klan puts all that hair in her helmet is a question for the ages. She probably also has prehensile hair like Ranka, we only never see it.

16:52 – Really beautiful drawing of Sheryl and Alto looking worried. A lot of the artwork in the series is phenomenal, but some special scenes always stir my heart with how good they are drawn.

17:13 – The two are so phenomenally awkward with each other, yet caring. A big difference between how Alto and Ranka and Sheryl and Alto interacted with each other in this episode, is because Alto is very much stand-offish with Ranka, while she obviously has developed some hankering for Alto-hime. Sheryl and Alto both have developed feelings for each other, such is quite obvious, but they are both in denial. It is an incredibly sweet scene, IMHO.

17:20 – I know that some will claim that the music is also played on other occasions, but Prologue F is for me the SherylxAlto music. It is played in some of their best moments, this one being one of them.

17:25 – And here we have Sheryl trusting her secrets to Alto. Which is just another one of the big moments for me in this episode.

17:42 – I got no doubt if Michael had been there to see those two, he would have responded just the same way as before when Alto and Ranka were having a little moment.

17:59 – How anyone can not see this as a “the heroine sees the hero off to his battle” moment, I don’t know.

18:05 – It’s very interesting how, on the aside, NUNS seems to have developed effective anti-Vajra ammunitions. Which, as we will see next episode, are very effective. At the very least, the sudden power-down of the Vajra is explained in passing.

18:25 – Well, Alto is not pretending to be only annoyed by Sheryl anymore.

18:29 – And I loooooove this transition to Sheryl, with the earrings “illusion” disappearing from her ear.

18:45 – Yep, Cathy and Ozma still have to work out some kinks.

19:10 – I’ll end this here, but the following sequence, launch and concert, Ozma and Canaria having a little conversation, Ozma promising that nobody will die, the camera cutting to Alto at a key moment of Sheryls singing and the song continueing to its real ending during the credits… this all make this an impressively choreographed sequence. It’s one of the things Frontier does really, really well.

Next week: Big explosions!
Old 2010-11-20, 09:43   Link #539
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
^Alto always wanted a sort of decoration for his cockpit, that's why.
Quote:
So he can see it of course.
Bah...I can't think of any reason that justifies it. He puts it on his ear later, right? They changed it because someone prolly pointed out how stupid it is to put something so valuable in the cockpit like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
This episode brings back some fun memories, especially of ranka shippers on random curiosity pretty much /slitting their wrists, was hilarious, good read if the blog and its comments are still up at the new site.
I'll have to read them later then, haha.

Quote:
Yes, but it has to be Alto to give the final push because he is the protag and all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceci-chan View Post
“She needs that kind of appeal” Haha, oh, Michel. :P
Yeah, but she really, really does. At least something to make her look more adult and not ten years old.
Quote:
Sheryl’s face when she’s singing Diamond Crevasse makes me want to cry.
Ignore my avatar.

Quote:
I remember that I first watched this episode thinking that she couldn’t possibly go back to Galaxy so soon, not when she’s building a relationship with Alto! Of course, now I know better.
I think after Alto showed up with her earring is when she would have started to think of staying.

Quote:
'Tis beautiful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Sheryl = Star and her home fleet is being attacked
Ranka = A school student without any relation to Galaxy and not even an inch of being a star.

I don't see the reason to start to compare both in depth at this point already. Ranka is in complete disadvantage because we compare melons with apples.

Sheryl as well as Ranka do what they can only do at the moment. Sheryl: The show must go on. Ranka: Being a "normal" fleet citizen.
You never need a reason. But there is intentional contrast at this point.

Quote:
A solid episode, though this is probably where the character models start to loose a bit of beauty in them. I'm not complaining though, because this episode was beautiful when it needed to be, meaning Sheryl's Diamond Crevasse performance. Plus we all know that next weeks episode is the second best looking episode behind episode 25.
Ozma's and Sheryl's model faltered a little. Sheryl's eyes looked bad in that interview, so painful. XD
Quote:
I've really got nothing against Ranka in this episode. She's acting the way you expect a girl in her situation (especially having Alto lie to her about being at the mall alone). Yeah she may be a bit old for the full body suit pj's, though we know she has a childish wardrobe (just look at her attire at the start of the episode ), so it works, really.
It definitely does work, the hood especially, lol.

Quote:
Sexual harassment on the bridge is okay as long as she likes it!
Yeah...still a dirty old man.

Quote:
& of course one of my favorite scenes in watching Klan get into the Queadluun-Rhea.
Yes...I wish they weren't talking at that point, I could focus on both her and the subtitles cause they are so small.

Quote:
Yet again the musice placement sideof the Macross franchise shines again, and it only get's better in the next episode. Plus i find that Diamond Crevasse makes exellent cliffhanger music.
This is the definition of music placement! You really can't get any better than this. It flowed perfectly into the ED sequence too.
Old 2010-11-20, 10:20   Link #540
Father Hentai

Quote:
You never need a reason. But there is intentional contrast at this point.
You are still comparing Melons with apple and I don't mean by boob size (both will loose against Nanase or Big Klan).

It is clear that one will be more brilliant or show more activities, because someone is about to loose something precious.

It is as Shiroth mentioned already, there is nothing to complain about.

It's a too early stage to make comparisons.

Tags
macross frontier, re-watch