AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-01-16, 22:45   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Madoka Magica - Character Discussion - Kaname Madoka

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Kaname Madoka related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Madoka Magica fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 23:44   Link #2
Genten
has a custom user title

Madoka: carefree, happy, and trusting. She is the quintessential 'main character' that all magical girl anime feature: whether it be Sailor Moon or Cure Dream. However, as this is Shinbo's work, she'll fall far from the normal trend of these leader types.

The rest might be spoiler-ish so it's enclosed in said tags for now:

Spoiler for Madoka Interpretation:
Old 2011-01-17, 00:35   Link #3
HitoriTomoyo
Tomoe Mami Fan

Placed into spoilers since I'm not sure if it's alright to to openly discuss this sort of thing or not.

Spoiler:

TOMOE MAMI FOREVER <3
HitoriTomoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 08:54   Link #4
FireChick

Madoka is sooooo adorable and sweet! I love her!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 09:52   Link #5
Genten
has a custom user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitoriTomoyo View Post
Placed into spoilers since I'm not sure if it's alright to to openly discuss this sort of thing or not.

Spoiler:
Spoilers because, well, this could be spoilerish:

Spoiler for Madoka:
Old 2011-01-17, 10:54   Link #6
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genten View Post
I do not trust Mami. Her nice appearance belies something darker underneath. This is Shinbo we're talking about, after all.
That has nothing to do with Shinbo. Is the story writer, Urobochi Gen, who you should worry about if you know his track record of stories.

I think whichever her choice is it will affect her for example if she gets along with Homura she can make Miki her enemy and viceversa.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 11:57   Link #7
Genten
has a custom user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
That has nothing to do with Shinbo. Is the story writer, Urobochi Gen, who you should worry about if you know his track record of stories.

I think whichever her choice is it will affect her for example if she gets along with Homura she can make Miki her enemy and viceversa.
I pointed to Shinbo because he's directing the series and I forgot who was writing the story.

Yep, I think that Madoka will eventually have to make a choice between Mami and (maybe) Miki or Homura. It really depends on how all of the characters evolve that will determine my sympathies for them.
Old 2011-01-17, 14:06   Link #8
Belgaesh

Forget about the visual novels Urobuchi Gen wrote, but the light novel of Fate/Zero was written by him. But in the end I can't imagine him doing Mahou Shoujo.

About Madoka, I thought of her as cute but she is passive and indecisive, I like more active characters. But is to soon for judge her, as seeing as only two episodes were released.
Belgaesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 15:20   Link #9
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Spoiler for ep1:
Spoiler for ep1:
Old 2011-01-18, 00:07   Link #10
HitoriTomoyo
Tomoe Mami Fan

Quote:
Spoilers because, well, this could be spoilerish:

Spoiler for Madoka:
Spoiler for Mami/Sayaka/Homura:

TOMOE MAMI FOREVER <3
HitoriTomoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-18, 15:29   Link #11
Genten
has a custom user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitoriTomoyo View Post
Old 2011-01-18, 20:14   Link #12
rocket
Senior and Demented

Quote:
Spoiler for Madoka's possible future motivations:
Old 2011-01-19, 23:52   Link #13
Dr. Casey

Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 17:13   Link #14
Spinell

Hmm, i know she is the main heroine in this series but i think she might not become a mahou shoujo. Great power (her potential) brings great responsibility.
The witch in the beginning of episode one is herself because she made a contract with QB and got said her "wish", that forces something on people (for example: "I wish we all would get along"). Sure, it's called wish but a curse is essentially something that people don't want or is harmful. So if Sayaka and Kyouko (or Homura) fight to the death she might do something like this.
Spinell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 17:17   Link #15
Genten
has a custom user title

As a somewhat off topic post I find it interesting that Madoka, the main character, has the least amount of posts in her thread than anyone else, even Sakura. I wonder if this speaks for her personality

Certainly though, I'll admit that Madoka is very bland. She has her qualities and perks but she easily fades into the background compared to the other characters, even the dead one.
Old 2011-01-30, 19:27   Link #16
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

^ L0L. i thoroughly agree with you.XD i actually find her personality boring. she isn't kickass either. she's too kind to appeal to me. DX the only thing that makes me be intrigued about her is that she's the main protagonist. if she's some side character, i'd never bother looking at her.*Shot to death* but well,since homura's quite showing something towards her too, i'm ok w/ her. L0L.
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 19:39   Link #17
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
As a somewhat off topic post I find it interesting that Madoka, the main character, has the least amount of posts in her thread than anyone else, even Sakura. I wonder if this speaks for her personality

Certainly though, I'll admit that Madoka is very bland. She has her qualities and perks but she easily fades into the background compared to the other characters, even the dead one.
This is true, but I also think it has to do with her attitude. She was very generic and one-dimensional and not quite likable at first, wanting to be a magical girl to cover up her own insecurities. She's left that trope, only to embrace the other magical girl trope, which is to whine and cry and give up. At least Sailor Moon, despite her tears and fears, still fought.

But I do think that, as she hopefully grows and matures, she'll become a better person. Right now, though, it's a bit painful to watch. I mean, most people in that position would at least see if it's possible to revive Mami. I know I would. If I was feeling that kind of guilt, and there was a way to make it better, I sure as hell would do it.

Here's hoping she grows, and doesn't just end up being a Shinji "Despair is my anti-drug!" Ikari.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 20:21   Link #18
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Madoka is my favorite character, it is odd that as the main character and namesake of the series she has the least activity in her topic but it's not surprising seeing the progression of things. Honestly Madoka's role isn't even established yet, we know that she's the main girl with a lot of potential as a magical girl... but that's it. All of the others basically have an established role in the series, even Kyoko in the (less than) 5 minutes she appeared in.

I think people are being too hard on her character in episode 4. Not bringing up the possibility of bringing her friend back? Behaving too depressed? I can see Madoka's train of thought actually involving the idea of bringing Mami back to life with a wish but apologizing to Mami because she not only "lied" to her by telling her that she definitely wanted to become a magical girl, but also because she is denying herself the thought of bringing Mami back because her fear of becoming a magical girl is too great. There's also the case that Madoka just didn't know Mami well or long enough to even consider risking her life for her. Maybe not everybody will agree, but that's what I believe.
Madoka has to grieve the tragic loss of her newly discovered and short lived friendship. She not only lost a friend who in her eyes was an idol, but she saw her brutal death and can't forget it. It seems completely normal and expected to me, also it was only one episode so I don't see why she's apparently not allowed to be depressed.

Personally I have more problems with Sayaka's character. It's consistent and all but I just can't understand her. To me Sayaka is much too impulsive, though we haven't seen her entire story so that may change. However for now Sayaka's character is one I cannot relate to. Madoka's character is the one I can relate to the most.

Also I just love Madoka's design the most. I'm pretty sure her character will give us all much more to discuss as the series continues, but for now I can see why the topic has almost no activity.

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 20:22   Link #19
Dark Wing

Once again I believe people are being way to hard on the poor child. This is not Sailor Moon or any of the other cookie cutter Magical Girl Anime that we are used to seeing as the creators have said already.

Everyone expects this 14 year old girl to jump up and fight a war thats not her own risking her life only to be forgotten if she should fall in battle leaving behind two loving parents wondering what happened to their little girl.
Old 2011-01-30, 20:28   Link #20
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
But wasn't that what Madoka had decided to do? Risk her life as a magical girl? What changed?

She found out it wasn't a game.

And people are forgetting that Sayaka took up the mantle despite all that. If Sayaka can, then Madoka can. And apparently a lot of magical girls make this choice to do so despite the risks, so yes, Madoka doesn't get off from valid criticism scott free.

Shinji was the same age and thrown into something he didn't ask for, either, and spent a great deal of the series afraid. He watched friends around him get injured and killed. And yet he still got in the Eva and did what he had to do.

I don't understand the drive to protect Madoka from any and all criticism. It's actually great that she comes across as a flawed character, because her growth is entirely dependent upon overcoming those flaws. She wouldn't be as interesting without them.

Edit: And yes, Sailor Moon, who was the same age as well. Who watched all of her friends get killed, one after the other. She drifted into despair, too, but pulled out of it and went on to confront Beryl. Comparisons are very valid.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters