Old 2011-05-01, 13:45   Link #422
Chase

Spoiler for episode 3:
Battlefield 4
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 17:42   Link #423
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

wow, just watched ep 1. what a freaking hook.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 20:53   Link #424
TheGeekHuntress
If only you were brave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Not an awful lot make sense in this show, I hope they'll pull some sloppy exposition like Oretachi soon, because it becomes boring to see moving pictures (however well done) without context.
Hmm...I think the show is making some sense right now but it is in the beginning stages so some of the confusion will most likely be resolved in later episodes.
TheGeekHuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 23:08   Link #425
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

This is not a genre I usually like, but I'm digging this, especially ep3.

I can do without the silliness of the crazy bad guy, and escapes from point-blank range, but the action is good anyway, and the stuff behind the scenes that is only gradually being revealed is good.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 01:27   Link #426
LunaYoshi
The Blue Exorcist

Spoiler for I dunno:
LunaYoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 02:52   Link #427
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeekHuntress View Post
Hmm...I think the show is making some sense right now but it is in the beginning stages so some of the confusion will most likely be resolved in later episodes.
Not really, or at least it didn't for me. Anyway, lost my patience with the whole presentation so I just went on and read some spoilers, and now I get the impression that the direction was mostly to blame.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 05:02   Link #428
Wakan Tanka

Quote:
Not really, or at least it didn't for me. Anyway, lost my patience with the whole presentation so I just went on and read some spoilers, and now I get the impression that the direction was mostly to blame.
The episode was hinting at the true Deadman Wonderland, which is the hidden section G. I dunno what's the confusion is about? It's not like Ergo Proxy or something, one can't even take it seriously when the main protagonist is crybaby.

Last edited by Solace; 2011-05-02 at 06:12. Reason: Removed spoiler content.
Wakan Tanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 06:05   Link #429
Malkuth
Banned

Before being spoiled, I had no idea whether Shiro was a prisoner or not, [rant mode]hell... sometimes I had no idea if anyone else save for Ganta could perceive her, since her actions and words were completely ignored. Also the whole concept of the roman arena, called theme park, that is actually a prison was contradicted by the way the audience reacted and talked about it. Also a conceptual/presentation problem I had was that all prisoners were male, save for one, not to mention the seemingly inconsistent behaviour of the personnel. Another example is the method of execution through poisoning, WTF all prisoners were in death row? then why give them access to those candies (ridiculousness aside)? wait, makes sense because they provide income through the games, but if they do, why kill them during the games?!? and specifically for Ganta, man... that prison-admin must make up his mind, because in every odd-numbered ep. wants him dead, while in every even- doesn't, make up your f*cking mind dude!!! Oh! and I forgot that in order to kill him in ep.3, they deploy a defective mecha, instead of using... I don't know... the poisonous collar around his god-damn neck!?!?!

Anyway, some of these were explained later (judging from the spoilers), but unless someone watches for the action, or other otaku-esque reason, the storytelling of the anime is atrocious [/rant mode ]

And since you mentioned Ergo Proxy, I agree, it did not explain more, but it's world presentation was fairly consistent (save for the last episodes, where some plot-holes had to patched), and had a mature, yet surreal atmosphere; on the other hand, the atmosphere and presentation of DW is your next shounen adaption with budget and too much ambition
Old 2011-05-02, 06:08   Link #430
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Can we please not give spoilers?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 13:03   Link #431
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Before being spoiled, I had no idea whether Shiro was a prisoner or not, [rant mode]hell... sometimes I had no idea if anyone else save for Ganta could perceive her, since her actions and words were completely ignored. Also the whole concept of the roman arena, called theme park, that is actually a prison was contradicted by the way the audience reacted and talked about it. Also a conceptual/presentation problem I had was that all prisoners were male, save for one, not to mention the seemingly inconsistent behaviour of the personnel. Another example is the method of execution through poisoning, WTF all prisoners were in death row? then why give them access to those candies (ridiculousness aside)? wait, makes sense because they provide income through the games, but if they do, why kill them during the games?!? and specifically for Ganta, man... that prison-admin must make up his mind, because in every odd-numbered ep. wants him dead, while in every even- doesn't, make up your f*cking mind dude!!! Oh! and I forgot that in order to kill him in ep.3, they deploy a defective mecha, instead of using... I don't know... the poisonous collar around his god-damn neck!?!?!

Anyway, some of these were explained later (judging from the spoilers), but unless someone watches for the action, or other otaku-esque reason, the storytelling of the anime is atrocious [/rant mode ]

And since you mentioned Ergo Proxy, I agree, it did not explain more, but it's world presentation was fairly consistent (save for the last episodes, where some plot-holes had to patched), and had a mature, yet surreal atmosphere; on the other hand, the atmosphere and presentation of DW is your next shounen adaption with budget and too much ambition
The way I understand it the warden guy doesn't actually want Ganta dead at all, he wants to push him to his absolute limit to see if he's one of the those swirly blood users like the Red Man or the "sl-ice" guy locked in G Block because I assume he wants to pit them against each other in some sort of literal blood sport for his own amusement.

As for female prisoners...since when do female prisoners get kept in the same prison as male prisoners? That's just a recipe for disaster. Though it wouldn't surprise me if there are some other female prisoners hidden somewhere around this particular place considering Shiro's presence.

As for the games that the prison holds, I'm pretty sure it was revealed in the dialogue Ganta's old schoolmates had that they think it's all a performance like WWE or something. As for why it's being done that way, clearly it's the warden dude. That and this show was clearly inspired by Death Race 2000.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 13:04   Link #432
TheGeekHuntress
If only you were brave.

^^^Pretty much summed it up well.

Last edited by TheGeekHuntress; 2011-05-02 at 13:06. Reason: Basically repeated what Kaioshin stated.
Old 2011-05-02, 13:26   Link #433
Malkuth
Banned

^^Pretty much speculation and hints absolutely absent from the anime or inconsistent with what they have presented during its three first episodes
Old 2011-05-02, 13:35   Link #434
TheGeekHuntress
If only you were brave.

Quote:
^^Pretty much speculation and hints absolutely absent from the anime or inconsistent with what they have presented during its three first episodes
It is not inconsistent. You questioned why there were no female prisoners? The answer to that is not speculation. Female and male prisoners are not kept together for obvious reasons and since Ganta is male, he is with the male population so you are going to see mostly males
Spoiler for Gender makeup:
Its too bad you're confused but I found nothing confusing about the show at all, its not very deep.
Old 2011-05-02, 13:40   Link #435
Malkuth
Banned

Just two short points:

1) There IS one female prisoner already
2) And my confusion was eliminated after getting up to speed with the manga readers, as is evident from what you put ip in your spoiler
Old 2011-05-02, 13:43   Link #436
Seihai
スマイリウム

We know from episode 1 that women belong to A-block.
Old 2011-05-02, 13:48   Link #437
TheGeekHuntress
If only you were brave.

^^^Yep.

Quote:
Just two short points:

1) There IS one female prisoner already
2) And my confusion was eliminated after getting up to speed with the manga readers, as is evident from what you put ip in your spoiler
Spoiler for Gender makeup:

However, you didn't need to be a manga reader to know why one did not see the female prisoners in the first couple of episodes.

Now if only Ganta can stop crying! GEEZ!
Old 2011-05-02, 13:53   Link #438
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
However, you didn't need to be a manga reader to know why one did not see the female prisoners in the first couple of episodes.

Because they belong to A-block? And the OP and ED pretty much spoiled a bunch of chars, not like I'm worried though since I still can't make out their roles and such...

I would probably be about as whiny as Ganta if the same things happened to me and if I were at the same age... I would find it weird if you didin't become emotional etc. at least temporarily. It's been what, 3 days or so?
Old 2011-05-02, 14:16   Link #439
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Let's kill all your friends,wrongly accuse you of commiting the crime and stick you in a crazy prison and see if you don't cry as much as him
Old 2011-05-02, 14:20   Link #440
TheGeekHuntress
If only you were brave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Let's kill all your friends,wrongly accuse you of commiting the crime and stick you in a crazy prison and see if you don't cry as much as him
I know! I know! I was being sarcastic as people were calling him a crybaby.

Tags
action, horror, madness, prison, science fiction, shounen, tragedy