AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-11-09, 03:56   Link #301
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
I think throughout the years that I've been watching anime, I've come to appreciate the shows in which the characters wander around and get into trouble and even though their search is fruitless and somewhat pointless, the character interactions manage to keep it amusing and entertaining.

Michiko and Hatchin definitely falls under this category and part of the charm comes from the back and forth that results because this particular pair is just completely mismatched in their attitudes. As such, what will be interesting is the effect that these two characters will have on each other and the avenue in which two people join into one.
zzeroparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 13:35   Link #302
karumofin

wow ep 3 just blew me away, so much hilarious fleshed out charactarization, the series is starting to fullfill all my expectations. I hope they can keep up this quality.
karumofin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 14:28   Link #303
Reuther

This is by far my favorite new show of the season. I was skeptical of the description and picture shown on AniDB but I've been won over. It has excellent animation, in backgrounds, character designs and movement; classic story and character elements (orphan of uncertain parentage rescued from evil step/foster parents; child who is wiser than adults, but still a child) but the setting feels new; good music and sound. Generally it feels like a serious effort on all fronts.

My biggest concern is that Michiko's character is simply too over the top to be maintained convincingly, so I was glad to see her more humanly flawed side in episode three. As to the above discussion of the plot developments in ep. 3, I think we still don't really know Michiko's relationship to Hana and her father. She's told wildly different stories at almost every opportunity. I think we're still a ways from the truth, but we shall see.

Here's hoping they they've got a plot lined up that can sustain the characters and style presented so far.

Last edited by Reuther; 2008-11-09 at 14:32. Reason: sig didn't seem to show.
Reuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 17:51   Link #304
Tiran86

The first episode didn't impress me, although it had potential, since I rarely hate characters as much as I did with the foster family. Episode 2 and 3 were a lot of fun though.

As for episode 3, my first impression was that it wasn't Hiroshi. Looking back, I changed my mind. I agree that we'll see if she continues looking for Hiroshi. I'm interested to see where the plot will go if the Hiroshi plotline is already settled. We still have an antagonist in Jumbo and the priest, but I hope it doesn't devolve into a capture attempt of the week.
Tiran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-13, 00:39   Link #305
ZODDGUTS

Ep 3 not sure if that was really Hiroshi either. I mean he didn't react at all when he saw Michiko as if he didn't know her he had a "huh who are you?" type face. Anyways I've been enjoying it much more since the ep 2. Ep 1 annoyed me with the over the top abuse from the whole family. Also hope to see a flashback between Jumbo and Michiko.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-13, 00:47   Link #306
Tiran86

To be fair to Hiroshi, if it was him, it had been what, 11 years since he saw her last?
Tiran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-13, 09:37   Link #307
Molenir

After episode 4, all I can think is, there are a lot of kids that are desperately needing to get whacked. And one scumbag adult as well. She should have nailed the cabbies gas pedal and run down the little brats. That and she shoulda whacked Pepe instead of being kind and letting him live. Just goes to show, never leave an enemy behind.
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-13, 12:36   Link #308
NickelXenon

Was Hatchin...drinking? o_O
NickelXenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-14, 14:33   Link #309
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

I guess I should have known…I don’t keep a focus on all the peripheral aspects while looking for my ever-expanding anime list, but I had a bigtime S. Watanabe vibe after hearing the first few seconds of the opening theme…I only started watching this show after seeing a few pics of the art on some random weekly blog opinion, but when I saw this beautiful, kickass, blaxplotation-diva ripping thru town on a torqued-out motorbike, I knew this would become my next weekly addiction (Michiko v. Yourichi doujinshi’s filling my mind like a landfill now )…As I saw the opening I had a weird “Ed” vibe from Hatchin which gave me that tingly Cowboy Bebop feeling all over again…The random, slice of life awesomeness only completed the circle…I see why S. Watanabe got involved in this project…It’s much like his other two projects (Bebop and Champloo)…Looks like this one will be all about the journey and that’s alright with me…I know he’s supposedly only doing the music supervision (which he is a genius at), but I have to think he adds even more than that…Loving this series, just loving it so far…S. Watanabe, my all-time favorite director and music incorporater, PLEASE DO MORE, PLEASE!!! But thank you for whatever you have contributed to this show (which is now the rough jewel of my weekly viewing session)…

Oh did I mention Michiko is the hawtest anime character I've seen in years!!!!^^ Anime needs more sistaz and characters of color like this...
Old 2008-11-14, 14:49   Link #310
NickelXenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Oh did I mention Michiko is the hawtest anime character I've seen in years!!!!^^ Anime needs more sistaz and characters of color like this...
I thought everyone in this anime was Hispanic. I guess I just assumed since it's Brazil...
Old 2008-11-14, 14:59   Link #311
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelXenon View Post
I thought everyone in this anime was Hispanic. I guess I just assumed since it's Brazil...
Color = Brazilians too ...

Have you never seen black Brazilians or black Hispanics? Michiko is one of them...
Old 2008-11-14, 15:35   Link #312
golthin

Quote:
Nobody in this show is Hispanic. You can call them Latinos, though the USA goverment definition of Latino only consider people that speak spanish and from the americas. I think we already went over this before.

Hispanic=Anyone that comes from a country where Spanish is the official or main language.
Latino(USA definition)=Anyone that comes from a country in the Americas that speak Spanish.
Latino(world wide definitinion)=anyone that speak one of the languages that have Latin as a root
(Spanish, Italian, French, Italian and PORTUGESSE)
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-14, 15:53   Link #313
NickelXenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Color = Brazilians too ...

Have you never seen black Brazilians or black Hispanics? Michiko is one of them...
Well, in the USA, when people say "of color" they generally mean African American. Although they call hispanic/latinos white also when you look at police reports. Argh, it's too confusing. Everyone wants to be politically correct and now I'm lost. I don't even call myself hispanic or latino anymore. I just say Central American. Otherwise people have no clue.
Old 2008-11-14, 16:25   Link #314
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

All this is besides the point…In 90% of all anime produced, white, seemingly Anglo-Saxon, physically featured characters are JAPANESE

In-terms of anime, visually, she is a black character…In an industry where I’d speculate less than 1% of all main anime characters are of color (which means visually not white), Michiko is indeed a character of color…What’s not to get? This isn’t about perceived nationality, this is about a character being drawn with the characteristics of a black person…But to add to that peripheral, Black latinos and Black Hispanics who look in pigment the same as Michiko do infact exist…I should know, since my mother, aunts, and uncles are all Black-Chileans (Some super light skin; some dark skinned like Michiko)…
Old 2008-11-14, 17:02   Link #315
PastPrime

Quote:
Actually, Brazil was Portuguese, not Spanish.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-14, 20:11   Link #316
Molenir

Come on guys, does this political correctness crap really matter? Everyone knows what you're talking about when you say hispanic. We don't really need argue about semantics right?
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-14, 20:34   Link #317
ZODDGUTS

Yeah because Brazilians are hispanics... except that their not.
Old 2008-11-15, 11:56   Link #318
animeboy12

I'm really liking this anime. It's very different than the usually and I'm liking how Michiko pulls off the sexy look without being gratuitous.

If there's one thing I hate is that I've never seen an anime were the character have such pitiful aiming

Last edited by animeboy12; 2008-11-15 at 13:48.
animeboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-15, 16:32   Link #319
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molenir View Post
Come on guys, does this political correctness crap really matter? Everyone knows what you're talking about when you say hispanic. We don't really need argue about semantics right?
Actually, no everyone does not know. Brazilians do not refer to themselves as hispanic because we are just not so. Now, if you call us latinos, then that's ok.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-15, 16:44   Link #320
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Actually, no everyone does not know. Brazilians do not refer to themselves as hispanic because we are just not so. Now, if you call us latinos, then that's ok.
No it's not okay! Call a girl a latino and you'll end up getting bitch slap! Okay maybe they won't go that far.