AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-11-12, 02:10   Link #41
GustaveElazul
Gus

~truncated~

Last edited by GustaveElazul; 2013-10-16 at 09:04.
GustaveElazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-12, 12:23   Link #42
msgpoisoning

i'll be honest, most MMORPGS bore the living shit out of me. Why? because they are such a grind most of the time; like in RO where u do the same shit 4376938763 times, and the same can be said about FFXI, LineageII, most other MMORPG's. WoW still has the grind factor, but the way the game is set up with quests, a good pvp system, raids, typical blizzard polished product, and other factors make it actually appealing to me. If i had to choose an mmorpg to play i would play WoW. WoW is definitely the best mmorpg since EQ. Most of the EQ veterans that have basically "completed" the game, are moving to WoW. I've been in closed beta since the 2nd selection, and this is the most fun i've ever had in an MMORPG.
msgpoisoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-01, 05:17   Link #43
Hadoken
Dragon Hunter

Send a message via MSN to Hadoken
wow vs ffx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Does anyone know how would World of WarCraft compare to Final Fantasy XI?

How many of you plan to buy it?

What are your decisions current FFXI Players?

Anyone here played the Beta?

Thanks!
hey both are good.. we cant really compare.. lets try out wow to its full extent then maybe we can judge..
and yeah the guil wars r really cool..
ny 1 hear about FFX2? not x-2 but 12 the newer 1
Hadoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 04:10   Link #44
Zigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight
FF11 honestly is REALLY BAD... its an even more pointless timesink than EQ since theres really no end-game raiding in FF11 beyond ultra notorious mobs or something which is zzz...

yeah OK
THIS is FFXI end game and this is maybe 0.1% and it really isn't zzzz
you sound like someone who played the game, got level 10 and quit. =\

http://img96.exs.cx/img96/4083/5d-ok.jpg

Last edited by xris; 2004-12-07 at 19:23. Reason: img > url tag
Zigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 10:24   Link #45
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
im an FFXI plaer and i would go with WoW because FFXI gets boring really fast jus yesterday i logged on for only 10 mins and there was notting to do but lvl up which isnt all that great
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 10:29   Link #46
HK anime seeker
Looks fun...Time to jump!

I don't know about you but the end game is not "epic" enough. True there us a dragon and it takes lots of people to kill them but the setting is just not right. And did you know Wow sold out in most stores in America? Sales wise wow has the best sales for a mmo to date and that proves alot.
HK anime seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 12:40   Link #47
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK anime seeker
And did you know Wow sold out in most stores in America? Sales wise wow has the best sales for a mmo to date and that proves alot.
You also need to take in account 80% of those people are Blizzard/Warcraft fanboys (ran into 10 people who exactly were that). I personally have yet to meet someone whose an avid MMORPGer goto WoW and actually like it. And all the non-MMORPGers that haven't played one before WoW, love it. And I checked out the Quest system, EQ2's quest system > theirs imo. And I don't like the GUI setup, but I'll give it a shot once one of my friends pick it up. Although I gotta admit the hording aspect is really cool.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 14:59   Link #48
Zigma

Quote:
I don't know about you but the end game is not "epic" enough. True there us a dragon and it takes lots of people to kill them but the setting is just not right. And did you know Wow sold out in most stores in America? Sales wise wow has the best sales for a mmo to date and that proves alot.

lol, have you fought these dragons?

i mean.. im not the one to bash and what not but im also playing wow and both games are completely diffrent. Wow is generaly quest driven to gain exp and involes roleplaying etc.

Both games are great. Both companies are great but some people just have to get off their high horse.
Zigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 15:47   Link #49
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
given the choice, i am probably going to stick with FFXI because i am already established there.

Although i wonder if it is worth the time commitment.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 16:14   Link #50
Ranko
Mech Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to Ranko Send a message via AIM to Ranko
What's the point of a RPG where one can't RP

Personaly i stick to older style MUDs where one can truly RP with out all the CG crap getting in the way.

While i await Starcraft 2, i'll be avoiding WoW

MUDs - are where MMORPGs found thier roots, text based termnal games that are usualy free and built by people who just make the game for thier enjoyment as well as the enjoyment of the players.

I've been playing a MUD www.darkmists.org
for the last 4 years and i've enjoyed it alot more than the MMORPGs i've tried.
PK (PvP) is allowed for people rank 10 and up with a 3 level PK range, it's D&D based but still the world has it's own story, One can join houses (extra powers, RP), Clans (RP only), Religions of the in game immortals (the programers).

There are 11 Classes (or guilds) most of which have been broken in to subclasses.

In the last 4 years i've taken my chara and earnd a place as a follower of an imm, become head of my guild, and beta tested one of the subclasses as it came out.

I find the more chaotic RP experiance of a game where it's not driven by profit is far more enjoyible than some game where all you do is gather gear and kill monsters.
Ranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 18:50   Link #51
Ending

World of Warcraft seemed interesting and has got pretty good reviews too.

Just a shame that it requires monthly payments and a credit card. Ah, well...
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 22:05   Link #52
HK anime seeker
Looks fun...Time to jump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiYamazaki
(ran into 10 people who exactly were that)
You have no evidence to support and one ten people is nothing if you have done statistics in you life. Keep an eye on the share prices for blizzad in the upcomming months. And if it drops you can say its not a sucess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiYamazaki
You also need to take in account 80% of those people are Blizzard/Warcraft fanboys.
And likewise can be said for the other games that are out there. For example, FFXI is only popular because of the square and FF fanboys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigma
lol, have you fought these dragons?.
Lol, I have fought a dragon. Not bad but still lacking.

Quote:
Wow is generaly quest driven to gain exp and involes roleplaying etc.
Thats why it better then most mmo where you just hack, slash and gain levels, its just like a fantasy version of CS that neverends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamespot
Final Fantasy XI = 8.2, World of Warcraft = 9.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygamer
Final Fantasy XI = 8.8, World of warcraft = 9.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by YahooGames
Final Fantasy XI = 8, World of warcraft = 9
Quote:
Both games are great. Both companies are great but some people just have to get off their high horse.
Both games are great but one is better, you need to get off your now

On a more important note, both games have there pros and cons but both of them will suit the tastes. Some people like WoW, some people like FFXI. For me I like WoW and its going to be a great sucess and would be a great investment opportunity for people that invest in the games industry.

So lets get back on topic instead of trying to make this a FFXI is better then WoW thread.

Last edited by HK anime seeker; 2004-12-02 at 22:25.
HK anime seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 22:22   Link #53
Entropy
Flame warrior

Quote:
although I am pissed that blizzard is doing this before a Starcraft 2.
Somehow when I think about Starcraft II all I can see is a more stable,PG Dawn of War...something about the Games workshop-Blizzard relationship

I'll start screaming when I see an eye of ter...eye of horror .
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 22:52   Link #54
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Quote:
You have no evidence to support and one ten people is nothing if you have done statistics in you life. Keep an eye on the share prices for blizzad in the upcomming months. And if it drops you can say its not a sucess.
Its plenty, if I goto 4-5 different locations, meet 10 different people that no relation to eachother other then buying that game, and they basically spell it out to me that they're huge fans of WC and think that WC is the greatest thing since slice bread, then yeah, I have enough evidence to prove my claim. You need to remember, this just a game, I'm not doing statistics. I'm just trying to make conversation about a game I'm willing to play, not doing a census. The only reason I ask 10 people is because if I pretty much get the same response from 10 different people, 20-30 won't matter, maybe 2-3 different opinions and that's it (and that has happened several times). I did the samething for EQ2 and I bought it merely because the people I asked about it, all had different aspects for buying, weither they were old EQ fans, fans that were sick with the way EQ headed or people just buying it for the graphics, it was way more diverse compared to WoW fans I talked to, hell ask 10 people who bought Halo, I'm pretty sure it'll be the same. Games and gamers ride on hype, if a game is hyped a majority of people buying it will be hyped gamers. Also plus that and the way some of the reviews I've read from a few customers, and others also lead me to believe that. So yeah, I'm pretty positive a majority of the people are WC fanboys. And I never said it wasn't a sucess, nor do I watch any share prices, just saying, majority of people buying have been WC fans. I can't even say its good or bad because I, myself haven't played it, but when I do I'll let you know.

Quote:
And likewise can be said for the other games that are out there. For example, FFXI is only popular because of the square and FF fanboys.
And that's my point. People just bought that shit cause it was done by Square. Which is totally the point I'm trying to make they're WC fans whom most likely will have this as their first MMORPG from a company that hasn't done one before, so what I am trying to say is some MMORPG "vets" won't like it compared to their other more "detailed" I guess is the word, type of MMORPGs. But until I give it a shot, I can only assume.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 10:19   Link #55
Ero-Sannin

Send a message via MSN to Ero-Sannin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboGod
is Worlds of Warcraft going to have free online play like all other blizzard games? if so, it has a huge advantage over every other commercial MMORPG. although I am pissed that blizzard is doing this before a Starcraft 2.

blizzard has never released a disappointing game up to my knowledge, when WoW came out on beta, people said it wasn't taht great, and re-scheduled its release.. I heard from someone who plays both games ffxi and WoW, that WoW >>>> ffxi

and yah i hope they make starcraft 2 very soon, and no servers for games like WoW need a lot of bandwidth so there must be a monthly subscription from all players, but i m guessing an annual subscription would be much more efficient for most players

i m gonna give WoW a try as soon as i m done with my final exams and i m off for the winter holidays
Ero-Sannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 10:55   Link #56
JediNight
キズランダム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirhe
World of Warcraft seemed interesting and has got pretty good reviews too.

Just a shame that it requires monthly payments and a credit card. Ah, well...
You can pay via game cards which can be bought at game stores, or very soon via Paypal payment as well. The monthly fee is a necessary evil to maintain the game, and well worth every penny. For the cost of a 2hr movie with a soda/popcorn, you have an entire months worth of entertainment -- and you would probably play WoW 20+ hours a month. WoW is really fun IMHO as well, coming from a fan of UO and EQ (played DAOC too, that was so-so) ... the game is a good medium for the powergamer and casual player. Super-powergamers are approaching L60 on characters now in WoW, but even in EQ the first L50s were around 5-6 weeks into the game. This gives you a chance to try out multiple characters as well.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 11:18   Link #57
Alexcha17
Banned

I play WOW. but I hate to play FFXII... my PC sucks to run it.
Alexcha17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 16:06   Link #58
FrostLich

WoW is a really fun game. I cant really compare it to other mmorpgs since the only other mmorpg which i have played a lot is Ragnarok and maplestory (in other words, free mmorpgs). However, i doubt i can ever get back to grinding, questing is just so much fun. Its kind of like that bonus orc campign in Frozen Throne, in reality, your just hacking and slashing but because its pure quests, it becomes a really fun campiagn.

The graphics suits my style and I have always liked the warcraft story. The faction thing with horde vs allinace is cool too since a lot of ppl are really into it. If somebody calls out that this city is getting attacked, a lot of ppl will come and try to defend it.

However, the main reason i love this game is questing. It is just so much fun and i will never be able to return to a mmorpg that requires grinding. Blizzard now has gotton me hooked on questing and unless other mmorpgs start following blizzard's example, i will not be switching mmorpgs for a long time to come.
FrostLich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 19:31   Link #59
Tommy
Mr. Prince

I don't really play MMO games but if we go by the numbers it looks like WOW is a much better game then FFXI...

Gamespots review of both

FFXI- 8.2 http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/final...html?q=FF+X%21

WOW- 9.5 (extremely good for gamespot) http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/world...ml?tag=mp_num1
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 00:42   Link #60
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
Im amazed by the reviews about WoW. Not because of the high score, but the fact the reviewers actually feel they can effectively give it a score so soon after release. How is the WoW endgame? Can the reviewers honestly say that every profession and all the skills are balanced perfectly? How is the player community? I don't mean to sound like im bashing WoW, im sure its a great game, but an effective review of a mmorpg takes more time than this. I guess ive been buying into the hype alot recently when it comes to mmorpgs...its Final Fantasy! Its Star Wars! And now, its Warcraft!

I decided to be more careful this time and so I haven't bought it yet. Im really hoping its everything people say it is but from what I have heard and read its not the mmorpg that breaks the mold that I was hoping it to be. Its like developers are making a cake or something, sometimes adding an extra ingredient and making it a little better, other times under cooking it completely. Im sick of cake though, I want steak!

Anyway, even though it might not break the mold Im still interested in playing it. Can anyone describe quests in more detail? I have heard these are great and that there are tons of them but I heard they either boil down to "go kill such and such" or "deliver this item." Is there more variety than this and if so how much? Like enough to get to the maximum level and never feel the quests were repetitive? I heard pvp isn't fully implemented yet, how is it currently? Is there a wide variety of weapons and armors? Is there a wide range of enemies or are there 50 different types of rabbits where they all look the same but have different names? I want to love this game instead of being screwed over again .

Shun me, for I am frumious!
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote