Banned

Reine is actually last LOL
Shinhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 15:58   Link #2362
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marly View Post
How did they fail in the first place? It's already been established that no one can really stop the spacequakes from happening (hence the mass evacuation), which is the main reason the AST are after the spirits in the first place.
It isn't about the spacequakes. Those could be solved if they killed the spirits. And if that's the main reason they were after them they never would have attacked Miku or Kurumi who no longer cause them.

Quote:
Yes, but how does this actually affect the storytelling? Restating those points really doesn't include anything new as far as character development/plot is concerned. The viewers know that Origami is obsessed and that she was already powerless against Tohka as seen in episode 2 when she got wrecked in a single slash. Besides, by that same logic- It could also be seen as Tohka being too depressed over Shidou to fight Origami properly.
If the humans can fight effectively against spirits then Ratatoskr isn't needed. Preferable morally (from our perspective) but still essentially butting in on a legitimate military operation.

In the anime the AST fights effectively (sort of) against the spirits. At least the sword fights seem like Origami can hold up to non-berserk Tohka. In the LN the AST incorporate the fact that they can't win in their combat doctrine. They are expressedly forbidden from directly engaging a spirit, instead they are to keep it from moving until it becomes "lost".

Origami defies orders several times in order to openly fight spirits, which get her reprimanded and eventually suspended temporarily iirc.

Yoshino deliberately splits her own personality to protect the people trying to kill her. This doesn't make sense without the huge power difference.

Quote:
Thematically, maybe. Personally I believe the whole difference in strength is just re-emphasizing the power spirits have over humans since spacequakes are already a thing, so I don't see how it serves as anything more than a redundant expression.
Because it affects the characters. Yes, it smacks you over the face with how helpless the humans are, but that actually makes up a good deal of the character development. Hell, all of Kurumi and Yoshinos arcs are devoted to that difference in power.
Old 2013-04-20, 16:11   Link #2363
Znail

In the novel so are AST not there to save anyone or to actually accomplish anything, they just put up a show to keep their funding. In the anime it seems like the Spirits are only alive due to AST not having caught them yet,
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 16:25   Link #2364
Marly
>AS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
It isn't about the spacequakes. Those could be solved if they killed the spirits. And if that's the main reason they were after them they never would have attacked Miku or Kurumi who no longer cause them.
I never said it was about the spacequakes- I said that the fact that Seireis are capable of causing spacequakes alone is enough to establish them as legitimate threats. Just because the show didn't portray Tohka 'as powerful' as she was described in the LNs doesn't really make that threat any less legitimate.

Quote:
If the humans can fight effectively against spirits then Ratatoskr isn't needed. Preferable morally (from our perspective) but still essentially butting in on a legitimate military operation.
But the humans are clearly not fighting effectively- Otherwise, they would've killed the Seireis already. Just from the first two episodes, it was shown to the viewers that AST is just as helpless as they are in the light novels. I really don't get it- This is pretty much like complaining about how some DBZ character blew up a planet in a manga, but only blew up a moon in the show and supposedly that makes it any less impressive. This isn't about some silly power level discussion- It's about setting the theme, and you seem to just repeat the former while supposedly claiming the latter. Personally speaking, the adaptation is doing its job fine.

Quote:
In the anime the AST fights effectively (sort of) against the spirits. At least the sword fights seem like Origami can hold up to non-berserk Tohka. In the LN the AST incorporate the fact that they can't win in their combat doctrine. They are expressedly forbidden from directly engaging a spirit, instead they are to keep it from moving until it becomes "lost".
This is the problem with your argument. You keep repeating that 'it SEEMS like XX is less impressive' or something along the line- But that's really up to the viewers to decide. Some viewers can interpret what was shown in this episode as impressive as what you interpreted out of what was described in the light novels.
Marly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 16:52   Link #2365
kagato3

Quote:
I never said it was about the spacequakes- I said that the fact that Seireis are capable of causing spacequakes alone is enough to establish them as legitimate threats. Just because the show didn't portray Tohka 'as powerful' as she was described in the LNs doesn't really make that threat any less legitimate.
It's not, as you keep saying, about them being threats, its about the fact that humans short of the heavily augmented Mana are completely incapable of even hurting even the weakest of spirits. They've also cut all the stuff with the AST that shows the more realists of the group know that their only purpose is to annoy the Spirits till they leave. As it stands the anime makes the ATS seem like a valid threat to the spirits compared to the LN where they pretty much are kids with spitballs.

Quote:
But the humans are clearly not fighting effectively- Otherwise, they would've killed the Seireis already. Just from the first two episodes, it was shown to the viewers that AST is just as helpless as they are in the light novels. I really don't get it- This is pretty much like complaining about how some DBZ character blew up a planet in a manga, but only blew up a moon in the show and supposedly that makes it any less impressive. This isn't about some silly power level discussion- It's about setting the theme, and you seem to just repeat the former while supposedly claiming the latter. Personally speaking, the adaptation is doing its job fine.
Because it changes the tone of things. In the LN the AST are pretty much team rocket in the anime they seem that they could be a real threat. In the LN it was made clear that during the attempt to snipe Tohka might (stressing might) work is because she had both completely lowered her guard and they were using an experimental extremely high powered anti spirit rifle and even then they were not sure it would kill her.

Quote:
This is the problem with your argument. You keep repeating that 'it SEEMS like XX is less impressive' or something along the line- But that's really up to the viewers to decide. Some viewers can interpret what was shown in this episode as impressive as what you interpreted out of what was described in the light novels.
No his augment is they are altering the very tone of the story and it is.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 10:19   Link #2366
Athena
The Power of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen00 View Post
Spoiler for Popularity Vote:
I thought Reine would be higher, but whatever.
Old 2013-04-21, 10:48   Link #2367
Shinhwa
Banned

Too bad Kurumi isn't first >3>
Old 2013-04-21, 10:54   Link #2368
Iggy_Pop

Have anyone here seen the goods they've shown at the official website.
I mean wow:
Spoiler for goods:

There's also seems to be something called "Dere situation" CD they seems to be giving for those who pre order the first three volume of the blu ray/DVD. There's 3 CD, each for Tohka, Yoshino and Kotori. I've listen to the snippets to the CDs, I've got to say I really need to get them. Especially the one with Shido and Tohka, Tohka's reaction with Shido touching her hair is priceless.

Last edited by Iggy_Pop; 2013-04-21 at 11:04.
Iggy_Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 10:57   Link #2369
Birdway
Banned

No Kurumi there?

BLASPHEME!!!
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 11:00   Link #2370
Iggy_Pop

^ Oh yeah, I'm really surprised she wasn't in the dere situation CD and the goods doesn't have anything highlight Kurumi. Anything by Kurumi is pure win, hopefully there will a CD for her in the future, there's still more DVD/BD volume to come after all. And if there's Kurumi fanservice goods? I'm in.
Old 2013-04-21, 11:04   Link #2371
tm902541

Spoiler for Scan:
tm902541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 11:07   Link #2372
Iggy_Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm902541 View Post
Spoiler for Scan:
Where was this from?
Old 2013-04-21, 11:16   Link #2373
tm902541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_Pop View Post
Where was this from?
Source: livedoor ( Note: 18+)
tm902541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 11:52   Link #2374
Algester

Quote:
^ Oh yeah, I'm really surprised she wasn't in the dere situation CD and the goods doesn't have anything highlight Kurumi. Anything by Kurumi is pure win, hopefully there will a CD for her in the future, there's still more DVD/BD volume to come after all. And if there's Kurumi fanservice goods? I'm in.
there is and guess what its included in the PS3 game's limited edition... and another edition featuring Rinne I'm sure you gusta, the one with Rinne also comes with a meido scenario with Rinne and Touka and Kotori
Algester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 12:08   Link #2375
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Have anyone here seen the goods they've shown at the official website.
I mean wow:
Spoiler for goods:

There's also seems to be something called "Dere situation" CD they seems to be giving for those who pre order the first three volume of the blu ray/DVD. There's 3 CD, each for Tohka, Yoshino and Kotori. I've listen to the snippets to the CDs, I've got to say I really need to get them. Especially the one with Shido and Tohka, Tohka's reaction with Shido touching her hair is priceless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
No Kurumi there?

BLASPHEME!!!
I'm not getting my Kurumi fix.............. T.T

Considering how close she got to first place on the popularity poll, they'd better be giving her material focus soon. And she'd better start making the Nyantype and Megami scans.

Last edited by Shinji103; 2013-04-21 at 12:39.
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 12:24   Link #2376
Ramen00

Thanks for the update Riki!
Ramen00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 12:24   Link #2377
Algester

I already told you guys the PS3 game (likely a limited edition on its own as well) will come with a Kurumi Choidere Situation CD... is anyone listening?!
Algester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 12:25   Link #2378
Shinhwa
Banned

Eh, I am sure Kurumi's popularity will explode soon
Old 2013-04-21, 13:45   Link #2379
blackwhite67
Banned

Sorry if this has been asked before. i'm just confirming, in the newly translated 5.5 on BK, Tohka only lost to Ellen because her powers were mostly sealed by Shidou, right?

BTW, in volume 7 just what was DEM trying to accomplish by torturing Tohka?
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 14:26   Link #2380
Ultragunner

from what I understand, DEM wants to learn more about spirits => control them or even artificial create one => take over the world or some evil cliche scheme..

that's what we can say for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
No Kurumi there?

BLASPHEME!!!
AGREEEEE!!!!! LOL

Tags
action, angelic spirits, antiheroine, comedy, drama, fake harem, fantasia bunko, harem, light novel, open ending, possible true harem, romance, science fiction, seinen, shounen, time travel, tragedy