AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-05, 14:01   Link #5521
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If it makes you feel better, I'm not voting for any unknowns either. Even if I don't know a series, I still like to know who I'm dealing with.
Old 2009-11-05, 14:04   Link #5522
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
No? Not even after the results are posted?
I believe we will let people know who they are after the results are posted.
Old 2009-11-05, 14:21   Link #5523
Team Rocket Elite

Quote:
That's not much of a point. I don't like voting for characters I don't know. And the whole hentai, red/blue bunch of BS pissed me off. Yeah, I'm touchy like that sometimes.
Ah, sorry about that. I thought other people would just ignore it. >_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Well, I'm not going to tell you what you find moe. But this is our tournament, and we will tell you how to vote. Obviously, that wasn't the case for this match. Next time, we'll be sure to have a force-vote code for certain arena, like Emerald 10.
You can tell them how to vote, but the voters can choose to ignore that and not vote or vote based on a coin flip.

Quote:
No? Not even after the results are posted?
Even if they don't officially announce who the characters are, I'm sure someone who isn't on staff and knows who the characters are will post their identities here.

My last votes for ISML 2009:
Spoiler for Votes:
Old 2009-11-05, 15:00   Link #5524
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

Final Votes

ARENA 01: [Chii] Hakurei Reimu
ARENA 02: Evangeline McDowell [Index Prohibitorum]
ARENA 03: Hakurei Reimu [Kamio Misuzu]
ARENA 04: [Index Prohibitorum] Misaka Mikoto
ARENA 05: [Kamio Misuzu] Kurata Sayuri
ARENA 06: Katagiri Yūhi [Chii]
ARENA 07: Kawasumi Mai [Minase Nayuki]
ARENA 08: [Kurata Sayuri] Vita
ARENA 09: Louise Vallière [Yagami Hayate]
ARENA 10: [Minase Nayuki] Louise Vallière
ARENA 11: Misaka Mikoto [Katagiri Yūhi]
ARENA 12: [Tsukimiya Ayu] Evangeline McDowell
ARENA 13: Vita [Tsukimiya Ayu]
ARENA 14: Yagami Hayate [Kawasumi Mai]
ARENA 15: [Contestant 1A] Contestant 1B
ARENA 16: [Contestant 2A] Contestant 2B
ARENA 17: [Contestant 3A] Contestant 3B
ARENA 18: [Contestant 4A] Contestant 4B
ARENA 19: [Contestant 5A] Contestant 5B
ARENA 20: Contestant 6A [Contestant 6B]

Damn, but the last Arena had me going When confronted with a "mystery girl" I just use the pic and IMAGINE what kind of character she must be depending on the expression, pose, and general vibe. These two girls seem almost identical aside from their appearance...

Anyway, what a joy in being able to at least vote for Misuzu, Ayu, and Chii for one last time (MULTIPLE TIMES )!

And Kimi ni Kodoke is probably my favorite of the season so far That and Railgun, with Bantorra & Sasameki Koto as runner-ups, and Winter Sonata as being kinda "on the edge"; dunno how long I'll keep up with it at this point. Oh, and I got Kobato.'s first 4 eps to check out too.

Sawako Hope to see her in next year's competition!

Speaking of that... I wonder if having the first day of Nominations opening on New Year's Day might result in a low attendance? Just a thought
Old 2009-11-05, 15:05   Link #5525
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Rocket Elite View Post
Ah, sorry about that. I thought other people would just ignore it. >_>
I should have. Sorry for getting so irritated over that. Was having a bad morning.
Old 2009-11-05, 15:09   Link #5526
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

ARENA 04: [Index Prohibitorum] Misaka Mikoto
ARENA 07: [Kawasumi Mai] Minase Nayuki
ARENA 08: Kurata Sayuri [Vita]
ARENA 09: [Louise Vallière] Yagami Hayate
ARENA 10: Minase Nayuki [Louise Vallière]
ARENA 11: [Misaka Mikoto] Katagiri Yūhi
ARENA 17: Contestant 3A [Contestant 3B]
ARENA 20: [Contestant 6A] Contestant 6B

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Old 2009-11-05, 15:26   Link #5527
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
The flaw with the exhibition matches this time was that 1) we didn't have a way of enforcing "sharing of information" so the info can be "leaked" easily and 2) technical issues that gave some resourceful people ways to find out who the characters are. If we do this again, we will try to think of a better system.
Old 2009-11-05, 15:28   Link #5528
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahasuerus View Post

Damn, but the last Arena had me going When confronted with a "mystery girl" I just use the pic and IMAGINE what kind of character she must be depending on the expression, pose, and general vibe. These two girls seem almost identical aside from their appearance...

Anyway, what a joy in being able to at least vote for Misuzu, Ayu, and Chii for one last time (MULTIPLE TIMES )!

And Kimi ni Kodoke is probably my favorite of the season so far That and Railgun, with Bantorra & Sasameki Koto as runner-ups, and Winter Sonata as being kinda "on the edge"; dunno how long I'll keep up with it at this point. Oh, and I got Kobato.'s first 4 eps to check out too.

Sawako Hope to see her in next year's competition!

Speaking of that... I wonder if having the first day of Nominations opening on New Year's Day might result in a low attendance? Just a thought
I am surprised that you mentioned Winter Sonata. Being Korean, I actually had low expectation of that series, but may be I was too hasty.

I have a feeling Kobato is of type you like, but chance of Sawako making it to ISML prelim doesn't look good, sir. Sawako is probably one of the best heroine of this season, but she is not of moe type that typically garners attraction among MoTo voters. If we were International Best Character Tournament, I would strongly support Sawako, but we happen to be Moe League, and it would break my heart to see Sawako lose again and again, just like how sad I was at seeing Hitotsubashi Yurie go winless.

As for New Year thing, since the nomination period is something like a whole week, I would imagine the pluses and minuses will cancel each other out.
Old 2009-11-05, 15:52   Link #5529
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
I am surprised that you mentioned Winter Sonata. Being Korean, I actually had low expectation of that series, but may be I was too hasty.

I have a feeling Kobato is of type you like, but chance of Sawako making it to ISML prelim doesn't look good, sir. Sawako is probably one of the best heroine of this season, but she is not of moe type that typically garners attraction among MoTo voters. If we were International Best Character Tournament, I would strongly support Sawako, but we happen to be Moe League, and it would break my heart to see Sawako lose again and again, just like how sad I was at seeing Hitotsubashi Yurie go winless.

As for New Year thing, since the nomination period is something like a whole week, I would imagine the pluses and minuses will cancel each other out.
Ah, you make a good comment/comparison between Sawako and Yurie; I'd hate to see that happen (AGAIN)

But really, this ISML Tournament really seems to attract voters who don't really vote based on moe but popularity. So perhaps if Sawako's series becomes popular maybe she'll stand a good chance? Too bad; she's precious and funny. Noto is perfect for the role

Winter Sonata may be too gloomy for me, although it really is too soon to tell. I've found it hard to get into the spoken Korean voices as I'm so used to Japanese; it's kinda jarring But I won't let that detract me from my viewing pleasure, if it can be attained through a good story and believeable characters. It's really pretty subdued so far, not that that's a bad thing.
Old 2009-11-05, 17:27   Link #5530
wontaek

Quote:
Ah, you make a good comment/comparison between Sawako and Yurie; I'd hate to see that happen (AGAIN)

But really, this ISML Tournament really seems to attract voters who don't really vote based on moe but popularity. So perhaps if Sawako's series becomes popular maybe she'll stand a good chance? Too bad; she's precious and funny. Noto is perfect for the role

Winter Sonata may be too gloomy for me, although it really is too soon to tell. I've found it hard to get into the spoken Korean voices as I'm so used to Japanese; it's kinda jarring But I won't let that detract me from my viewing pleasure, if it can be attained through a good story and believeable characters. It's really pretty subdued so far, not that that's a bad thing.
One turn off unique to Koreans is that, the actors who are doing the voice lacks voice training, and the female actor is reputed to be inferior actor in Korea. She just doesn't know how to convey emotion through her voice, so it is rather painful for Koreans

Going off in tangent, I have finally whittled down my 2010 ISML nomination list to 10. Would appreciate anyone's thoughts about them.

1. Ruiko Saten ( A certain scientific railgun )

2. Hanato Kobato (Kobato )

3. Sakurazaki Setsuna (Negima)

4. Kotobuki Tsumugi (K-ON)

5. Isara Gunther (Valkyria Chronicle)

6. Isayama Yomi (Ga Rei - Zero )

7. Amamiya Yuuko ( EF )

8. Mizunashi Akari ( ARIA )

9. Shiho Matsuri ( SOLA )

10. Tsukamoto Yakumo (School Rumble)

Last edited by wontaek; 2009-11-06 at 14:55.
Old 2009-11-05, 17:41   Link #5531
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
Sawako is probably one of the best heroine of this season, but she is not of moe type that typically garners attraction among MoTo voters.
I'm caught up to episode 5 now, and I would have to agree. It's a beautiful anime with a virtuoso performance by Noto-chan, but, as endearing of a character as she is, I don't think Sawako possesses what would be considered moe qualities.

Episode 5 of Seiken no Blacksmith is totally win! Loli elf moe is sweet. Lisa gets a nomination from me.

*anxiously awaiting Aha's impression of Kobato*
Old 2009-11-05, 17:47   Link #5532
wontaek

Quote:
I'm caught up to episode 5 now, and I would have to agree. It's a beautiful anime with a virtuoso performance by Noto-chan, but, as endearing of a character as she is, I don't think Sawako possesses what would be considered moe qualities.

Episode 5 of Seiken no Blacksmith is totally win! Loli elf moe is sweet. Lisa gets a nomination from me.

*anxiously awaiting Aha's impression of Kobato*
I, myself, wish I had room to nominate Lisa, but I am at a lost whom I should remove to make room for Lisa. And I am also awaiting for Aha's impression of Kobato.
Old 2009-11-05, 18:00   Link #5533
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

ARENA 04: Index Prohibitorum [Misaka Mikoto]
ARENA 05: Kamio Misuzu [Kurata Sayuri]
ARENA 06: [Katagiri Yūhi] Chii
ARENA 07: Kawasumi Mai [Minase Nayuki]
ARENA 10: [Minase Nayuki] Louise Vallière
ARENA 11: Misaka Mikoto [Katagiri Yūhi]
ARENA 15: Contestant 1A [Abstained] Contestant 1B
ARENA 16: Contestant 2A [Abstained] Contestant 2B
ARENA 17: Contestant 3A [Abstained] Contestant 3B
ARENA 18: Contestant 4A [Abstained] Contestant 4B
ARENA 19: Contestant 5A [Abstained] Contestant 5B
ARENA 20: Contestant 6A [Abstained] Contestant 6B

I'm with Mushi on this one: I can't vote for a girl I don't have any frickin' clue who she is!
Old 2009-11-05, 18:05   Link #5534
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
If it makes you feel better, I'm not voting for any unknowns either. Even if I don't know a series, I still like to know who I'm dealing with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi
I'm with Mushi on this one: I can't vote for a girl I don't have any frickin' clue who she is!
It is such a good feeling when you know you're not alone.
Old 2009-11-05, 18:17   Link #5535
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

Ah, Blacksmith is another series I was interested in checking out. Preliminary reviews were kinda less-than-enthusiastic, which does go to show that you can NOT go by reviews to decide if a series is worth watching.

Come to think of it, those reviews are probably the reason that mainly only popular shows get reviewed... and that mainly only popular shows get seen

I'll watch my Kobato. eps tonight
Old 2009-11-05, 18:47   Link #5536
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Ah, Blacksmith is another series I was interested in checking out.
Sword and sorcery medieval type fantasy. It's a nice departure from all the high school stuff. Cool action, good production quality, and some genuinely interesting characters, IMHO.

Screw the reviews. Just make sure you give it 5 episodes, unless it just doesn't doing anything for you at all. It's not going to be everybody's thing.

My biggest "problem" with it, at first, was the K-On! style beaver teeth mouths. That is just so annoying to me for some reason. I'm thinking we're now going to be subject to that more and more as every studio in the country "adopts" it at least once or twice in future productions just because K-On! was successful. But, I must be getting used it... hardly noticing it anymore in this series because the characters actually have some substance and strength of personality to them.
Old 2009-11-05, 20:37   Link #5537
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Sword and sorcery medieval type fantasy. It's a nice departure from all the high school stuff. Cool action, good production quality, and some genuinely interesting characters, IMHO.

Screw the reviews. Just make sure you give it 5 episodes, unless it just doesn't doing anything for you at all. It's not going to be everybody's thing.

My biggest "problem" with it, at first, was the K-On! style beaver teeth mouths. That is just so annoying to me for some reason. I'm thinking we're now going to be subject to that more and more as every studio in the country "adopts" it at least once or twice in future productions just because K-On! was successful. But, I must be getting used it... hardly noticing it anymore in this series because the characters actually have some substance and strength of personality to them.
So that's what their faces were reminding me of!

I kind of get the feeling Sacred Blacksmith may copy Railgun. I just wonder whether Lisa will end up being to Cecile what Kuroko is to Mikoto.
Old 2009-11-05, 20:57   Link #5538
gaffer7

ARENA 02: [Evangeline McDowell] Index Prohibitorum
ARENA 04: Index Prohibitorum [Misaka Mikoto]
ARENA 07: [Kawasumi Mai] Minase Nayuki
ARENA 10: Minase Nayuki [Louise Vallière]
ARENA 11: [Misaka Mikoto] Katagiri Yūhi
ARENA 12: Tsukimiya Ayu [Evangeline McDowell]
ARENA 17: [Contestant 3A] Contestant 3B
ARENA 20: [Contestant 6A] Contestant 6B

Bonus arenas I was clueless in, just picked on first impression, even if it looks like I just chose A!
Old 2009-11-05, 21:27   Link #5539
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Wow, do people like the left side that much? 0.o We just chose positioning randomly.
Old 2009-11-05, 21:28   Link #5540
Eater of All
NOM

Spoiler for Votes:

Voted based on images. While I don't really like the idea of voting for/against someone I have no knowledge of (see my regular season votes) either, if the matches are intended that way, then no way am I wasting my votes. It's not like I can rage at the minute chance of winning the lottery when that's actually the whole point of it.

Tags
international, saimoe