AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-08, 15:19   Link #1
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
This anime is pretty violent...

Geez,

I was expecting this to be a fun kiddy anime but this turned out to be pretty violent. Seems like people die every other episode or so. I was especially moved after a specific episode involving a little girl...

this anime is great still. disturbing and yet touching...
Old 2004-03-08, 15:28   Link #2
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonz20
this anime is great still. disturbing and yet touching...
Yeah, I agree. Some of the stuff people do for alchemy is pretty disturbing and the way Scar kills people is pretty violent itself.

Though this is disturbing, I suggest you check out The Galaxy Express 999 TV series. Pretty dark stuff happens there too and for some reason I expected that, like Fullmetal Alchemist, to be more upbeat.
Old 2004-03-08, 15:47   Link #3
Kiro
chocolate overdose

i too was really shocked when said person was killed. at one time, it's really lighthearted, if not funny and from one moment to another it gets really serious, violent or scary and for me this is the reason, why i was higly disturbed when she died.

if some character in the anime/manga "berserk" would die, one would at most be sad, because he liked the character, but it isn't something unexpected from a series like berserk to see someone die.

i think, that fma disturbed everyone at that moment because nobody expected the series to be like that. there do happen worse thing in other animes, but because you really don't expect it from fma, it really shocks you from time to time.

i think, that mix is, what makes fma really unique. if you live on the northpole for a year or two, you get used to the cold temperature. same with the sahara. you get used to the heat. but watching fma is often like traveling from the sahara to the northpole in five minutes.
Old 2004-03-08, 15:53   Link #4
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiro
i too was really shocked when said person was killed. at one time, it's really lighthearted, if not funny and from one moment to another it gets really serious, violent or scary and for me this is the reason, why i was higly disturbed when she died.

if some character in the anime/manga "berserk" would die, one would at most be sad, because he liked the character, but it isn't something unexpected from a series like berserk to see someone die.

i think, that fma disturbed everyone at that moment because nobody expected the series to be like that. there do happen worse thing in other animes, but because you really don't expect it from fma, it really shocks you from time to time.

i think, that mix is, what makes fma really unique. if you live on the northpole for a year or two, you get used to the cold temperature. same with the sahara. you get used to the heat. but watching fma is often like traveling from the sahara to the northpole in five minutes.
yeah i agree...

btw, did you all of you notice that they changed the ending scenes of that specific episode when that character (little girl) died?... I thought that was pretty cool. Like they were dedicating it to her... (lol... i am speaking as if she's a real person...)
Old 2004-03-08, 17:03   Link #5
Remington

ya, there are realy lots of contrasts in this anime. specially the very beginning was shocking for me. i had little information bout that anime and was expecting a nice opening, where the two elric kids are using some alchemie, transmuting some stuff and so. and then the atmosphere changed u here a deep scream, thunder and lightning, and suddenly there is only one child left with a missing leg and heavily bleeding while the other has turned to ashes O.o. "wtf" was my first thought ^^".

@dragonz20 noticed that too. it made me think bout "eds smile". in that ending he was almost crying while he had a square smile across his face, if u keep that in mind and then watch e.g. the end of the 2nd opening, it comes to mind that sometimes his smile maybe fake, and he's grinning while he actually wants to cry. hmhm a very profound anime afterall
Old 2004-03-08, 17:12   Link #6
ShadowLady
Darkness Prevails

Send a message via ICQ to ShadowLady Send a message via MSN to ShadowLady
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonz20
yeah i agree...

btw, did you all of you notice that they changed the ending scenes of that specific episode when that character (little girl) died?... I thought that was pretty cool. Like they were dedicating it to her... (lol... i am speaking as if she's a real person...)
Yeah i noticed that when nina died, although not right away because I was too much in shock at first, it was sad, although I did kinda expect it. She was so cute and sweet when she was alive and there was so much of a focus on her that all of a sudden I just said, she's gonna die just because I thought it was eerie to see so much of her. and I was right. they pulled that kind of stunt in buffy the vampire slayer all the time. just when you start to like someone they kill m off.
Old 2004-03-08, 20:20   Link #7
Mcdonalds

Yea, this anime changes a lot but now after watching so many episodes, i have become used to this change in atmosphere all the time and expect something twisted to happen each ep, although it still surprises me how they come up with that. I don't think that the anime is violent compared to other series that i have watched. I do think though that this anime hits on very sensitive subjects in science such as science will eventually turn bad possibly? (human cloning).
Old 2004-03-08, 20:48   Link #8
SketchyMcChips

The turn of pace from lightheartedness to violence can be a little unsettling at times. Although when you see blood at any point in a series I wouldn't be surprised if people started getting killed.

I'm going to compare it to another series out at the moment, Peacemaker Kurogane. This series has at least one episode that's 90% or more comedy and light heartedness, but the whole subject matter means its just a distraction from the violence.

To be honest I kind of expected FMA to be like this, especially after seeing the attempted transmutation on the brothers mother. Maybe it's just me but I don't particularly find any of it disturbing - maybe i'm an example of this desensitised genration...
Old 2004-03-08, 22:35   Link #9
Kiro
chocolate overdose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SketchyMcChips
Maybe it's just me but I don't particularly find any of it disturbing - maybe i'm an example of this desensitised genration...
not really. after the "nina-incident" i got used to it too in some way. but unlike naruto or other "fight-animes" fma is really able to give me a nice shiver from time to time because of the dark stuff that's happening. i do like naruto, but i really doubt, that gara will be very frightening, when he transforms into that "something" in the next episode (should be ep.74).
Old 2004-03-08, 22:48   Link #10
Dragon Flame
Wet Kimimaro Love

Send a message via ICQ to Dragon Flame
shukkaku isnt scary, that "gaara thing" its gaara himself, hes really freaky int he manga.. lol u should see what he does to those two guys at the tournament, anyway back on topic, FMA adds the violence in a good way, its not out of place and unbefitting..
Old 2004-03-09, 05:59   Link #11
Kain

Quote:
hehehe, wuss
I LOVE the occasional violence, It keeps things interesting.....
But then again, It might just be me LOL
Old 2004-03-09, 10:38   Link #12
Joe Dalton

It is a verry deep anime mostly about human nature.
Especialy the episode you all are talking about. What made it sad was not that she died as adorable as she was you couldnt help but care about that char but the real impact was with the elric brothers.
When Edward cries there at the end and his tears get los in the rain thats what really got me.
Old 2004-03-09, 11:16   Link #13
Kiro
chocolate overdose

and that is, what i like about fma. it is violent at times, but it's going really deep. a little bit like berserk. berserk was full of gore and i didn't think, that the series would care so much about the characters, after i had seen the first two epsiodes. but it did.

other than fighting series like dragonball, fma does show the outcome of violence instead of trying to make it look cool. i think that is more educational, than cutting every scene, where you see a tiny blood drop. (they actually do this in german television when it comes to anime so i'm glad that most of the shows shown here suck and that i don't watch them anyway)

Quote:
shukkaku isnt scary, that "gaara thing" its gaara himself, hes really freaky int he manga.. lol u should see what he does to those two guys at the tournament, anyway back on topic, FMA adds the violence in a good way, its not out of place and unbefitting..
if you mean that really really bad episode (which was drawn horrible and where nothing really happened) : i wasn't really excited/thrilled/scared/whatever, as gaara killed those two nonames. at that moment, the animation was just SO crappy, that i was more scared of the animation itself. naruto went really downhill after the lee/gaara fight for a while but the last three naruto epiodes were really great and i'm beginning to look forward to the new eps again now, like i did in the past.
Old 2004-03-09, 11:56   Link #14
meluckycharms

Suprised me

*Spoilers*
I like anime that surprises me. I was surprised by how the episode turned out. I kind of thought that it would be another sappy father loves daughter thing, but it turned out far more interesting. Was anyone else surprised by when Roy Mustang revealed his ultimate goal? That surprised me I thought he was going to be serious.
Old 2004-03-09, 17:57   Link #15
Kiro
chocolate overdose

Quote:
Originally Posted by meluckycharms
*Spoilers*
I like anime that surprises me. I was surprised by how the episode turned out. I kind of thought that it would be another sappy father loves daughter thing, but it turned out far more interesting. Was anyone else surprised by when Roy Mustang revealed his ultimate goal? That surprised me I thought he was going to be serious.
i don't think that post had spoilers. IF you write something, that maybe a spoiler, then just use spoilertags. like [spoiler] spoilertext [/spoiler]

then it will look like this

Spoiler:
Old 2004-03-09, 21:26   Link #16
nak
Squishy

Send a message via AIM to nak
Quote:
i don't think that post had spoilers. IF you write something, that maybe a spoiler, then just use spoilertags. like [spoiler] spoilertext [/spoiler]

then it will look like this

Spoiler:
What makes this anime so diffrent is its attention to the pace of the tone throughout the entire series. The fact that it seems to always find the perfect balance of seriousness and lightheartedness makes it very unique. Many animes are complained to be either too serious or way too lighthearted. I think the ammount of violence is in key with how much humour is in the series. it is a rarity, at least in my opinion.
Old 2004-03-09, 22:03   Link #17
Dark_Sun
I LOVE YOU!

yeah it is..i knew that from the first episode..when i saw ed's leg in gore... x_X

btw...off topic but..i thought homonculous or however you spell it meant 'a very small human' LoL
Old 2004-03-09, 23:52   Link #18
Joe Dalton

naruto has gone downhill since ep 19 or so and yeah its been getting better the last few eps but thats besides the point
Berserk was a great anime but I think i like FMA better since its also terribly funny at times,
But neither is my number 1 fav anime
Old 2004-03-10, 02:00   Link #19
bLizz4rD

Send a message via MSN to bLizz4rD
In my opinion, FMA is one of the rare animes that has managed to bring out the emotions of it's viewers! Which is totally amazing, considering that it's only anime, not real life actor/actresses in it.

The twist and unique flow of story, has kept many of us fans wondering and anticipating on how it'll turn out in the next episode, which i believe is the main reason how many of us has turned into instant fan of FMA.

FMA has a good mix of science (alchemy part), drama, comedy as well as violence. Totally unique, totally FMA. Not something that you can find in another anime.

All thumbs up for FMA. Good job!

I give my loyalty to you!
Old 2004-03-10, 10:27   Link #20
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington
it made me think bout "eds smile". in that ending he was almost crying while he had a square smile across his face, if u keep that in mind and then watch e.g. the end of the 2nd opening, it comes to mind that sometimes his smile maybe fake, and he's grinning while he actually wants to cry. hmhm a very profound anime afterall
yeah i noticed that too. He has different smiles and he forced his smile for Nina... at least that's what I thought. It's a subtle change in the anime but it had a very profound effect for me too at least...

FMA is definitely a great anime. I am really feeling it and I am glad I took the time to download it and check it out. As for the comparisons between this and Naruto. Well I was hooked on Naruto for a little while but my hunger for it has diminished a lot. Cause is a combination of bad art, overuse of fillers (3+ mins of a character looking at the sky as the birds are chirping), and slow development of story. Then again, FMA has only reach 20-some episodes so we'll see if it continues at this high quality and pace. If so, we may as well declare this anime to be one of the best of all time.
Closed Thread