AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-30, 09:59   Link #241
Tabasco

I hadn't thought of that. The first two, yes. And obviously no young Mikuru= no elder Mikuru.

But that is true, this can't be the last of the tweaking that she'll need to do in order for her past to play out within spec. Which brings up a question I've been kicking around:
Spoiler for Vol 8:
Old 2009-10-30, 12:35   Link #242
SgtHydra
Void Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
I hadn't thought of that. The first two, yes. And obviously no young Mikuru= no elder Mikuru.

But that is true, this can't be the last of the tweaking that she'll need to do in order for her past to play out within spec. Which brings up a question I've been kicking around:
Spoiler for Vol 8:
I'm sure they'd love to do that, but unfortunately the time travelers have pretty clear rules about messing around with the past: everything has to happen EXACTLY how it originally happened, regardless of whether or not history records it. Whatever happened in the past must continue to happen with each loop of the time travel.

This isn't so much an exact answer to your question, but it is what it is. The time travelers are, basically, actors reading a script. Sure, they is some improv here and there and Mikuru makes a mistake sometimes or mumbles about something she probably shouldn't, but this may very well be predetermined events that occur each and every time.

But then this thread is about Nagato, so let's get back to her.

Here is a question for those smarter than I: Why are all known Humanoid Interfaces female?

All Glory to the Greentext.
Old 2009-10-30, 13:09   Link #243
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtHydra View Post
Here is a question for those smarter than I: Why are all known Humanoid Interfaces female?
Well, I doubt I'm any smarter than yourself, but I'll take a pass at it. Some stupid conjectures on my part:

-One possible explanation is that the Entity decided to base its interfaces on the most genetically homogenous form of humanity, the 'base form', and it's reasonably popular in genetics these days to say that the female form (XX chromosomes) is that form.

-Perhaps the Entity sees the female as the 'essential' human form due to the female body's central role in the creation of life, and chose on that basis?

-Maybe because Haruhi's subconscious god-self thought it'd make for more interest aliens if, instead of warrior males, they were all elegantly beautiful data-goddesses. Think about it, not only are they all female, but they all have a sort of refined beauty about them.

-On this same tack, given that the Entity is shown to have opinions, perhaps it feels that the maturing female form is the most elegant? It's a common concept in Science Fiction that sufficiently advanced races still appreciate elegance and beauty in less evolved spheres of existence, and like to model and understand those concepts.
Old 2009-10-30, 13:41   Link #244
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Just because all known Interfaces are female does not automatically mean all Interfaces are female. >_>

We only see female ones because female characters sell more merchandise.
Old 2009-10-30, 14:02   Link #245
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Just because all known Interfaces are female does not automatically mean all Interfaces are female. >_>
Do you really think that given...

Quote:
We only see female ones because female characters sell more merchandise.
Anything else would be the case? XD

I'm just working backwards from that to theorize some canon explanations. Unless...oh my God. The aspect of the Entity in charge of designing Interfaces is actually also the series Meta-Guy, Kyon, which would give him awareness of the marketing effects of making all the Interfaces female. It also explains why Yuki follows his orders so unquestioningly. AHHHHH!
Old 2009-10-30, 15:33   Link #246
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Again, it doesn't mean there aren't male interfaces, just that Kyon haven't seen any.

Or has he? Hell, anyone he knows could be an interface without him realizing it, given how well Kimidori and Ryoko are able to fit into society. Kyon never suspected a damn thing when he first met either of them. (Well, he suspected that something was up with Kimidori, but not what that something was.)

Taniguchi could be an Interface for all we know. He's been in the same class as Haruhi for years...

And yes, I do realize this makes the Interfaces sound like Cylons.
Old 2009-10-30, 15:43   Link #247
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisos erranon View Post
again, it doesn't mean there aren't male interfaces, just that kyon haven't seen any.

Or has he? Hell, anyone he knows could be an interface without him realizing it, given how well kimidori and ryoko are able to fit into society. Kyon never suspected a damn thing when he first met either of them. (well, he suspected that something was up with kimidori, but not what that something was.)

taniguchi could be an interface for all we know. He's been in the same class as haruhi for years...

And yes, i do realize this makes the interfaces sound like cylons.
Actually, I'm thinking more about the Matrix. Taniguchi as Agent Smith = Worst Thing Ever. Also, revealing Kyon's real name will be part of the process of him becoming a digital Messiah.

"Wa-wa-wasuremono, Mr. Kyon...you look surprised to see me...again."
Old 2009-10-30, 15:47   Link #248
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Except that, you know, the Agents physically take over the bodies of humans jacked into the System whereas Cylons hide amongst humans, and, in fact, are often programmed to believe they are human.
Old 2009-10-30, 16:06   Link #249
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Except that, you know, the Agents physically take over the bodies of humans jacked into the System whereas Cylons hide amongst humans, and, in fact, are often programmed to believe they are human.
More the vague 'anyone can be an enemy/part of the system' thing. But yeah, true.

Oh, hey, topic! We missed you.
Old 2009-10-30, 19:02   Link #250
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Maybe Yuki, Ryoko and Kimidori are secretly male.

What?
Old 2009-10-30, 19:05   Link #251
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
*bursts out laughing*
You've forgottened. Emiri is a male balloon dog
Old 2009-10-30, 20:47   Link #252
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
*bursts out laughing*
You've forgottened. Emiri is a male balloon dog

I have never noticed that Emiri somehow became male >.>
Old 2009-10-30, 21:05   Link #253
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
Maybe Yuki, Ryoko and Kimidori are secretly male.

What?

But of course!
Old 2009-10-30, 23:14   Link #254
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Where's Kogetsu and his knife? Is he sneaking up on us? XD
Old 2009-10-31, 04:42   Link #255
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
And yes, I do realize this makes the Interfaces sound like Cylons.
Okay, so far all I've got is the duh-dun duh-dun duh-dun... music, "Previously...on The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya", snippets of argument (and making up) between a harried Kyon and a semi-imaginary Ryoko, and of course—

Starbuck: Haruhi
Baltar: Kyon
Apollo: Itsuki
Boomer/Athena: Yuki
6: Ryoko
Helo: Taniguchi
Tyrol: Kunikida

It's far from a perfect match (outside of Kyon and Ryoko as Baltar and 6, which is so rightly wrong on so many levels), as it's just too dark a setting to even fit Mikuru or Tsuruya-san, but my brain's still going 90 to nothing when I should be sleeping... Thanks a lot, Kaisos...
Old 2009-10-31, 11:18   Link #256
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Battlestar Galactica is kind of boring and I don't really see the appeal but it is good show nonetheless.
Old 2009-10-31, 20:31   Link #257
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
Where's Kogetsu and his knife? Is he sneaking up on us? XD
... I've been away... and it's rather amusing that my name is mentioned within a conversation over gender confusion, given how much I seem to create on accident...
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-11-01, 00:17   Link #258
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
... I've been away... and it's rather amusing that my name is mentioned within a conversation over gender confusion, given how much I seem to create on accident...
You made that gender confusion by accident and yet refuses to explain. How evil of you.

I found more funny suggesting Yuki as a male would make you angry, since you are a regular member of the Genderbending thread/group. (btw, do you like Yuuki as much as Yuki?)
Old 2009-11-01, 02:23   Link #259
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Well... the thing is, Melancholy is absolutely horrible when it comes to the Nagatos, and that's really all there is to go from for Yuuki.

However, provided the "catch the sword with his fingers" thing is kept/used/whatever'd, that automatically makes him awesome.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-11-01, 10:58   Link #260
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Well... the thing is, Melancholy is absolutely horrible when it comes to the Nagatos, and that's really all there is to go from for Yuuki.

However, provided the "catch the sword with his fingers" thing is kept/used/whatever'd, that automatically makes him awesome.
By "catch the sword with his fingers" I assume you mean that tired, cliched method where one pinches ones thumb and forefinger together to "catch" the sword and arrest its motion, similar to the result of Ichigo and Aizen's first encounter in Bleach. It was old then. Tanigawa's "just grab the blade" was much more original, and poweful, as it shows that Yuki has little regard for her physical body. Especially when it comes to Kyon, even at this point in the story. And a sword? What's wrong with a knife? Not "macho" enough (author hasn't seen any good knife fights then)? Or does male!Asakura have "compensation issues"?

Yare, yare... This is why I avoid fanfic...

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2009-11-01 at 22:58. Reason: removed extra line break
Closed Thread

Tags
characters