AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 03 Rating
Perfect 10 35 28.69%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 34.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 32 26.23%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 8.20%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.64%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.82%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-23, 12:00   Link #181
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
yeah, private "contractors" only go for experienced personal. They aren't in the business of training recruits, let alone cadets. They typically leave that to national governments who have the time and facilities.

but who knows?

perhaps with the nature of the fleet, former military personal of the fleet will be able to enrol or use the facilities of the Frontiers UN Spacy military?

it's the only plausible idea i can come to if they think they can train a green pilot, i wonder if he will be able to take part in a joint UN Spacy combat flight training with other regular military pilots?
Old 2008-04-23, 15:10   Link #182
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Well I didn't find the fanservice in this episode particularly well written or charming at all and the first half was a complete bust for me. I'm thinking I'm going to have to reevaluate my expectations for this series (that doesn't mean lower them, just to change them) a bit next episode and then I should hopefully enjoy it a little bit more. That said I still didn't find this episode as enjoyable as the first two and the part where the trio was stranded felt cringe worthy and forced rather than well written. I would have used that sequence to show more of Alto's insecurities that were starting to come out during it and maybe had some contrasting words of sympathy from Ranka juxtaposed with some common sense criticism from Sheryl (which she did eventually give). Also I might have had a little more character bonding then what happened, something like them sharing their concerns about what is happening (because really a lot of the fear has really yet to be addressed on Ranka and Sheryl's part at this unknown enemy that threatens to destroy them. For all the havoc a lot of the characters besides Alto seem pretty nonchalant about it to the point where I wonder if the first episode wasn't actually the first time they'd been attacked by the Vajra).

Of course I'm not the writer and we got the fanservice, which I continue to think is a lot more intrusive then it ever was in Gundam 00, which took a lot of flak for fanservice I felt was among the most subtle that I'd ever seen. This episode made it a little too obvious with the goofy music and camera angles though and the buns were just a bit to silly. Like I said, I'll probably be readjusting my expectations to allow for comedy and goofy fanservice in this series as I am not the writer, but the viewer and therefore as much as I would change somethings it's not my vision nor can I do anything to change it. It's best to just go along for the ride and see where it takes us at this point despite any misgivings I currently have at missed opportunities to define the series a little further.
Old 2008-04-23, 20:02   Link #183
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Of course I'm not the writer and we got the fanservice, which I continue to think is a lot more intrusive then it ever was in Gundam 00, which took a lot of flak for fanservice I felt was among the most subtle that I'd ever seen.
Summeragi + Subtle + fan service = ??? error doesn't compute! I'm saying this from the perspective of someone who liked the fan service in Gundam 00 btw...
Old 2008-04-23, 23:16   Link #184
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Summeragi + Subtle + fan service = ??? error doesn't compute! I'm saying this from the perspective of someone who liked the fan service in Gundam 00 btw...
I don't recall any breast grabs and sudden unexplained nudity though, just cleavage. Either way, that wasn't really what bothered me so much as what I felt was the out of character behaviour that felt forced in to achieve it. Things such as Alto acting like an angsty kid out of nowhere when all hints pointed at his character being fairly mellow and laid back with dreams of being outside flying. There was no indication that he had that side of his character before and if it WAS something he was hiding that will come up later then it wasn't really the best time to have it come forth.

Likewise, Sheryl who was previously shown to be a pop princess who has a nervous breakdown at the loss of a single videotape and who lives a pampered life more or less is seen suddenly dispensing common sense life advice out of nowhere as the circumstances fit it. Again it could be another side of her character that we haven't seen yet, but it couldn't have come forth at a more inappropriate time as during and around a fanservice scene. It really kill the character development if it really was development and not people acting out of their established character when you are left wondering how serious it all was because of the circumstances of the events.

I'm a bit apprehensive too because I know of Shoji Kawamori's late tendency to go all weird and random on us when the story seems to be establishing itself as serious and it's looking a bit like the trend has started again. Luckily I'm pretty prepared now in case we get another Bird Human scenario, but I hope not.
Old 2008-04-23, 23:18   Link #185
Westlo
Lets be reality

What breast grab? Sheryl didn't brake down because of the tape, it was the earring.. she wanted the tape so she could see where she lost the earring... if the actual episodes didn't make it obvious enough the first ED and the 3rd eye catch should have shown those earrings are very important to her. You're missing a lot of stuff man... not just this ep but last ep too.. You're generally pretty good at picking stuff up going by your 00 and Geass posts so I'm a bit bemused at how you're missing easy things here.
Old 2008-04-24, 00:07   Link #186
4Tran

Quote:
Either way, that wasn't really what bothered me so much as what I felt was the out of character behaviour that felt forced in to achieve it. Things such as Alto acting like an angsty kid out of nowhere when all hints pointed at his character being fairly mellow and laid back with dreams of being outside flying. There was no indication that he had that side of his character before and if it WAS something he was hiding that will come up later then it wasn't really the best time to have it come forth.
Westlo's covered the Sheryl bits, but I'm just as curious as to how you're reading Alto's character. From the very first episode, he proved to be anything other than a mellow character - getting angry no fewer than four times: when Michael teased him, when he wasn't allowed to do the corkscrew, when Ranka admitted thinking that he was a girl, and when Sheryl was leaving the concert.

Besides, how can any of the characters behave out of character when it's early enough that their characterizations haven't been firmly established yet?
Old 2008-04-24, 00:19   Link #187
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I don't feel it was out of character at all. Sheryl, maybe a bit, but it's more like we hadn't had the opportunity to really know her before.

Quote:
I don't recall any breast grabs and sudden unexplained nudity though, just cleavage. Either way, that wasn't really what bothered me so much as what I felt was the out of character behaviour that felt forced in to achieve it. Things such as Alto acting like an angsty kid out of nowhere when all hints pointed at his character being fairly mellow and laid back with dreams of being outside flying. There was no indication that he had that side of his character before and if it WAS something he was hiding that will come up later then it wasn't really the best time to have it come forth.
Alto's always been angsty at his lack of freedom (2000 meters of sky isn't enough for him, and suddenly he's stuck in a small room. Underground.), and at his own helplessness. Whether it's his inability to defeat giant space monsters with his bare hands or to breath hard vacuum.

Quote:
Likewise, Sheryl who was previously shown to be a pop princess who has a nervous breakdown at the loss of a single videotape and who lives a pampered life more or less is seen suddenly dispensing common sense life advice out of nowhere as the circumstances fit it. Again it could be another side of her character that we haven't seen yet, but it couldn't have come forth at a more inappropriate time as during and around a fanservice scene. It really kill the character development if it really was development and not people acting out of their established character when you are left wondering how serious it all was because of the circumstances of the events.
Sheryl's a prima dona. She's capricious, arrogant, selfish, what have you. But she's not weak. What she exhibited was her strength. The same kind of strength and self-reliance that made her go out to get her earring back rather than throw a tantrum till her assistant send someone to get it for her.
Old 2008-04-24, 01:41   Link #188
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Well if you want my full thoughts on the episode they are now up.

Honestly I can't help but feel that the second half renders much of what went on during the shelter scene fairly inconsequential, and I'd almost refer to it as a semi-retcon of the events. We get a pretty clear explanation in the Alto/Ranka scene in the park of what was going through their heads during the shelter scene and it would have been nice if we'd actually gotten to see it instead of the steamed buns stuff as it would have explained a lot about the characters actions. (Remember people I blog shows as they are progressing so that comes into account) Okay actually not entirely, but I'm just going to take what Ranka and Alto said in the park as the definitive recollection of what went on and how they felt about things as it by far makes more sense then "Don't Look At Me With Those Lecherous Eyes You Pervert" when the real issue is that they are all under stress and possible about to get killed by some stray fire and Alto lacks the power to do anything about it at the moment when he really wants to be of use. This I already knew it's just it did not come through properly at all because of how the scene was presented.

Anyway I gave the episode a 6.5 and rounded up to 7 after a coin flip, so not god awful, but nowhere near as good as I felt it could have been. Don't be mistaken, I felt the second half was up to par, it's just the first half was weak sauce.
Old 2008-04-24, 05:09   Link #189
Westlo
Lets be reality

Let me get this straight, you're complaining that them looking back on it.. a recollection so to say was a more true indication of what they thought than their actual actions during the event? Um if that's right... all I can say is.. duh.. of course it is.

Also are you going to bother answering questions by me, 4 tran and Minh or will your shift tpoics onto another complaint? Also what's this got to do with anything?

Quote:
(Remember people I blog shows as they are progressing so that comes into account)
Wouldn't you pick up on stuff when rereading/proofing it though? I mean some stuff you have misinterpreted/missed has been obvious.

Btw Sigel posted ratings for last week in the ratings thread, Episode 3 rated 2.3%

Last edited by Westlo; 2008-04-24 at 05:35.
Old 2008-04-24, 07:01   Link #190
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Well if you want my full thoughts on the episode they are now up.

Honestly I can't help but feel that the second half renders much of what went on during the shelter scene fairly inconsequential, and I'd almost refer to it as a semi-retcon of the events. We get a pretty clear explanation in the Alto/Ranka scene in the park of what was going through their heads during the shelter scene and it would have been nice if we'd actually gotten to see it instead of the steamed buns stuff as it would have explained a lot about the characters actions. (Remember people I blog shows as they are progressing so that comes into account) Okay actually not entirely, but I'm just going to take what Ranka and Alto said in the park as the definitive recollection of what went on and how they felt about things as it by far makes more sense then "Don't Look At Me With Those Lecherous Eyes You Pervert" when the real issue is that they are all under stress and possible about to get killed by some stray fire and Alto lacks the power to do anything about it at the moment when he really wants to be of use. This I already knew it's just it did not come through properly at all because of how the scene was presented.

Anyway I gave the episode a 6.5 and rounded up to 7 after a coin flip, so not god awful, but nowhere near as good as I felt it could have been. Don't be mistaken, I felt the second half was up to par, it's just the first half was weak sauce.

i agree. this episode in the first half was meh,

after the second episode or the real exciting EPIC scenes in the first episode, this wasn't so tantalizing.
although any further fluff on the vajra are always welcomed.

the second was definitely far more exciting in terms of character engagement and pure emotion.

macross just don't seem the same without singing in it, Ranka singing fading into the sober funeral scenes was emotional.

i would of given this on the first have a 6-ish, but an 8-ish for the second half.

so erm...a 7?

Old 2008-04-24, 08:04   Link #191
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Alto's always been angsty at his lack of freedom (2000 meters of sky isn't enough for him, and suddenly he's stuck in a small room. Underground.), and at his own helplessness. Whether it's his inability to defeat giant space monsters with his bare hands or to breath hard vacuum.
Alto has Zentradi envy?
Old 2008-04-24, 13:20   Link #192
rpgman1

Alto seems to be more like an emo who seems to be infuriated at his powerlessness. You can see that he seems to have an inferiority complex when it comes to Michael. He is voiced by the same VA who did Graham Aker in Gundam 00, but it seems Alto wants to separate himself from the rest to prove that he got what it takes to be good. I thought Sheryl was some stuck-up ???? who seems to get what she wants, but I wonder if she is a tsundere. Ranka seems to be the cheerful one, but she has trauma from her past that she wants to cling on to someone dear. Alto is just caught in the middle between Sheryl and Ranka.
Old 2008-04-27, 07:04   Link #193
areas

Did Megumi Nakajima sang the song @ 19:42? My god, the vocals sounds so... spiritual. I'm just mesmerized by that one song in the whole episode. I'm a sucker for emo, ethnic sounding tracks, like those from Mai Hime.
Old 2008-04-27, 12:19   Link #194
Westlo
Lets be reality

Yes it was Megumi Nakajima and the song is called "Aimo", let's hope it's on the first ost!
Old 2008-04-27, 12:38   Link #195
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Yes it was Megumi Nakajima and the song is called "Aimo", let's hope it's on the first ost!
fool!

it is not a "hope"!

Its a CERTAIN!

Old 2008-04-27, 12:54   Link #196
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
Im with triangle right now, when is the ost go out?
Old 2008-04-27, 13:04   Link #197
Westlo
Lets be reality

Actually it might not be on the OST now... since they announced a Ranka Lee/Megumi Nakajima Debut CD Single.

Diamond Crevasses/Don't Be Late CD Single = 2008/05/08
Macross Frontier OST 1 = 2008/06/04
Ranka Lee Single = June 25, 2008 (Could be Aimo, could be second op)
Old 2008-04-27, 13:14   Link #198
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
Quote:
Actually it might not be on the OST now... since they announced a Ranka Lee/Megumi Nakajima Debut CD Single.

Diamond Crevasses/Don't Be Late CD Single = 2008/05/08
Macross Frontier OST 1 = 2008/06/04
Ranka Lee Single = June 25, 2008 (Could be Aimo, could be second op)
Uhh well don't be late is my priority now
Old 2008-05-14, 07:04   Link #199
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Well Leon to me is gonna pull a Ingram Prisken (Super Robot Wars) given he is seducing Cathy Glass.
Oh hell no.... Don't tell me he pulls an Ingram Prisken and shows up with a alienTech-fused, crystallised VF-25....
Old 2009-01-19, 11:50   Link #200
xxmimixx
♥Sebastian's new wife♥
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to xxmimixx Send a message via Yahoo to xxmimixx
So far, this has th be my favorite episode. The part when Sheryl, Altoh, and Ranka get stuck in that room made me laugh, or at least giggle. And at the end when Ranka sings was pure gold! I love that girl =D.