AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2009-09-29, 04:14   Link #1661
xKeen

Hmmm...I'm finished with the series but I didn't understand the ending?Cliffhanger or something?
xKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 11:10   Link #1662
AKnightWhoSaysNi!
Bring me a shrubbery!

EoE? or the show?

Both endings were cluster fucks of fail. The show for time / budget constraints, EoE for super depressed creator giving humanity the shaft.

I remember being amazingly confused the first time I saw it, the second time through it all made sense (artsie sense, so everything was connected, not necessarily by logic)... but I still couldn't accept it. Just from how amazingly shitty it was to the characters. And to human spirit in general I guess.

It might be considered a cliff-hanger of sorts, the whole world is now a giant ocean of friken souls, and the idea is people with strong enough will can crawl back out, like Shinji did, and I'm supposing that's how Asuka got there too. But... yeah humanity is pretty much screwed.

There's a lot of connected junk, but the only difference between what happened in EoE and what the super evil dark room guys wanted the whole series, is that after EoE people had the option to come back.
AKnightWhoSaysNi! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 22:16   Link #1663
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnightWhoSaysNi! View Post
Both endings were cluster fucks of fail.
In your opinion, of course.

I thought both of them were great, but I had to watch them a few times to soak it all in.

Besides...I dunno...I had the feeling that in EoE, everyone coming back meant that EVERYTHING would go back to the way it was. Because, yeah...A bunch of peple coming back to a planet with no animals, no vegetation, no drinkable water, and no shelter is pretty useless. Better to keep your soul orbiting earth than come back just to die of starvation or thirst.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 23:23   Link #1664
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
A bunch of peple coming back to a planet with no animals, no vegetation, no drinkable water, and no shelter is pretty useless. Better to keep your soul orbiting earth than come back just to die of starvation or thirst.
Correction: broadly speaking Instrumentality nuked animals capable of realizing the concept of being alone, but many folk assumed that the PLANTLIFE remained. Given the supplementary information on the Black and White moons, it's a valid theory as well.

So, yes, life would still suck, but it was going to be at least survivable (and it's in fact one of the things that many great stories set in post-EoE hinge on).
Old 2009-09-30, 21:11   Link #1665
AKnightWhoSaysNi!
Bring me a shrubbery!

Just finished seeing 1.0 in theater, in English.

Sub > Dub and
Original > 1.0, but, still very well done and worth seeing on the giant screen.

Although 1.0 had to cut a lot for the shorter time frame, it kept all the really important bits and was easy enough to fill in the blanks from memory. But that's not really the point as its a re-telling of the story anyway.

What totally made it worth the price of admission was the last angel fight of 1.0. That fight is the perfect example of what made EVA so good. It's like you distilled everything right with the series you get that scene.

Misato commanding the entire countries co-operative efforts for mankind's last hope, worrying about the pilots and specifically Shinji, pimp-slapping Ritsuko for being such a terrible human being (though 1.0 cut it), and generally being an example of what happens when a good person has an endless supply of determination.

Shinji, despite his cowardly tendencies still gets in the cockpit, takes the time to worry about his fellow pilot (which is pretty much a first for her), gets absolutely blasted (which he half expected getting into the thing) and still crawls back to his gun, blasts the angel straight to hell THEN goes straight to saving Rei. Shinji: you're doin' it right.

Rei continues to do as shes always done, but after meeting Shinji it seems like for the first time she is doing it with purpose other than "because it's all I have", honestly seems determined to protect Shinji outside of just the letter of her orders. She gets her hunch rewarded when Shinji gets out there and pry's her entry plug escape hatch open with his bare hands because he is genuinely concerned about her... which again... is a first. And gets a smile from it, way to go Rei!

I just love everything about that fight.

1.0 also made another fact very clear: how much I hate Kaoru. I hate him, I hate what he did, I hate who he is, I hate what his appearance did to the god damn series. I HATE HIM!

Those four directors cut episodes were: Misato gets mind-fucked, Asuka gets mind-fucked, Rei gets mind-fucked, and then Shinji gets mind-fucked. They are distinctly different from the first 20, but they leave the series balanced on a very precarious ledge, one side is the triumph of humanity that got them this far, the other is the giant dark pit of "fuck it, people suck and I hate them". Well we kinda know which one it leaned into...

So those first 20 were like that angel battle, things were hard, Asuka, Rei, Shinji, Misato, Kaji all kept getting hurt, kept getting dumped on... but kept fighting, kept winning and kept getting closer to helping each other beat this. Awesome.

The next 3 are: okay, you guys just got it bad. Plus Shinji goes from being actually supportive (like with Rei) to useless when Misato and Asuka get dumped on. It's possible to think that the toll just pushed him to far to be able to help again, but it does show huge signs of "hey, guess how bad I'm going to screw you in the next episodes kid?". It wasn't hopeless though, and there was still the strong possibility they could rally for the end.

Then Kaoru shows up... and bye bye humanity! I understand what his purpose was outside of destroying Shinji's character, it does make a sort of sense to have the final angel as a sort of "trump card". Seele then has the advantage of knowing where / what the last angel is to finish them off, but has the ability to force Gendo to stick to his side of the bargain by sending the angel directly to him, kind of "Okay Gendo, its show time, you uphold your end of the bargain or bye-bye humanity!". The problem I have is the Shinji friendship part... bigtime. He formed his relation with Misato, Rei, Asuka, even Toji and Kensuke through blood and hellfire. Kaoru just shows up and goes "friends?" - "I LOVE YOU!". Oh Jesus f'ing Christ...

And bye bye Last 23 episodes.

So then we're set, EoE rolls around, every character shows that unkillable spark that the entire series had, rally's for their last stand... except Shinji, and then everything goes kaput.

[/endrant(for now)]

I am eager to see 2.0 now, just to see where the new direction goes.
Old 2009-09-30, 22:23   Link #1666
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

But you see. That's why Evangelion is amazing. It defied the whole triumph of humanity to show a darker complexion of human nature.

However, it wouldn't be bad to see a happier ending this time through. On the other hand, that would possibly make this series less special in my eyes.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-30, 23:06   Link #1667
AKnightWhoSaysNi!
Bring me a shrubbery!

I know someone would probably say that, but I see it MUCH more like the creator gave up on human spirit, rather than human spirit itself being destined to fail.

It depends on if you honestly take that depressing a view of humanity.
Old 2009-09-30, 23:31   Link #1668
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnightWhoSaysNi! View Post
EoE? or the show?

Both endings were cluster fucks of fail. The show for time / budget constraints, EoE for super depressed creator giving humanity the shaft.

I remember being amazingly confused the first time I saw it, the second time through it all made sense (artsie sense, so everything was connected, not necessarily by logic)... but I still couldn't accept it. Just from how amazingly shitty it was to the characters. And to human spirit in general I guess.

It might be considered a cliff-hanger of sorts, the whole world is now a giant ocean of friken souls, and the idea is people with strong enough will can crawl back out, like Shinji did, and I'm supposing that's how Asuka got there too. But... yeah humanity is pretty much screwed.

There's a lot of connected junk, but the only difference between what happened in EoE and what the super evil dark room guys wanted the whole series, is that after EoE people had the option to come back.
I try not to think of that ending....*shudder*
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 01:53   Link #1669
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
On the other hand, that would possibly make this series less special in my eyes.
How so? The TV series already pretty much made its mark, for good or ill. As for the movies, well, they're a fresh start in more ways than one. Which is a good thing, really, as we'll see how Anno WITHOUT his depression presents things this time.

I'm expecting great things, if what we saw with Tomino is any barometer (Turn A, is one of the most OPTIMISTIC and happiest Gundam shows ever, the Zeta movies were great overall, and King Gainer was hilarious).
Old 2009-10-01, 01:53   Link #1670
RisArk

People blow Evangelion's "mindfuckery" out of proportion.
RisArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 01:58   Link #1671
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisArk View Post
People blow Evangelion's "mindfuckery" out of proportion.
Ssshh, might incur the wrath of the more militant members of the fandom.

That said, Movie 3 will bring the timeline into a whole-new different direction than TV series or even the manga. Goodbye Point of Divergence, hello new material! Whoo-boy.
Old 2009-10-01, 04:04   Link #1672
RisArk

I thought 2.0 did enough diverging, from Asuka's appearance to the finale. There's very little similar to the episodes it's covering in the original series.
RisArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 04:20   Link #1673
xKeen

Deep anime is deep.I read the wiki for tips to understand,and cleared up some stuff...Is wiki trustable?
Old 2009-10-05, 07:28   Link #1674
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Spoiler for cooking time!...:
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 07:48   Link #1675
xKeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
Spoiler for cooking time!...:
What in the world? D:
Asuka looks happy
Old 2009-10-10, 07:59   Link #1676
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

I just watched end of . . .
It was weird. Very, very weird.
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 09:00   Link #1677
rei_lied

Does anyone have news regarding the release date of 2.0? Or no announcement yet?
Old 2009-10-10, 11:03   Link #1678
finalnight
Supreme Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei_lied View Post
Does anyone have news regarding the release date of 2.0? Or no announcement yet?
It took just under 8 months for 1.0 to go from theater to DVD in japan, so guessing around february-ish for 2.0 to hit dvd.
finalnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 14:26   Link #1679
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKeen View Post
I read the wiki for tips to understand,and cleared up some stuff...Is wiki trustable?
Yes and No. Just take whatever's in Wikipedia with a grain of salt, as it's prone to easy (and inaccurate) editing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
I just watched end of . . .
It was weird. Very, very weird.
Yes, it was, but if you understand the CONTEXT of how the movie was made (a heavily-depressed Anno essentially saying *#!@ Off to the rabid fandom), some of the weirdness suddenly make sense. Many of what you THINK is symbolism is actually just padding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalnight View Post
It took just under 8 months for 1.0 to go from theater to DVD in japan, so guessing around february-ish for 2.0 to hit dvd.
Actually, it's NORMALLY 6 months from Theatrical version to the DVD. The real question is, when will the Blu-Ray version come?
Old 2009-10-10, 14:45   Link #1680
Used Can

Will movies 3 and 4 be screened at the same time, or will they have different releases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
It defied the whole triumph of humanity to show a darker complexion of human nature.
EoE didn't precisely portray a loss of humanity either. The people who decide to reject instrumentality will return to the world. Those who don't have the will to do so will remains as tang.

Tags
movie, remake