AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-12-30, 14:51   Link #1
Utsuro no Hako

Prince of Tennis (2012)

Well, I can't find a thread for this even though it starts next week and Crunchyroll just announced a simulcast, 10:30 AM (PST?) on Wednesday

Quote:
“Middle school students fought fiercely against one another in a national tournament. Now, 50 chosen representatives return to fight against high schoolers! The stage is the U-17 (Under Seventeen) Japanese Representative Training Camp. Middle school students have been invited for the first time to a camp known to produce the best Japanese tennis players.

National champions from Seigaku, Hyotei, Rikkai, Shitenhoji...With all the rivals from the national tournament attending, everyone eagerly awaits their reunion. At first, the middle schoolers do not expect much from their high school opponents. However, the training camp is not so easy!

Athletes with skills incomparable to those they previously faced and their mysterious coach appear before them. Faced with numerous demanding challenges, can the middle schoolers survive in this meritocratic training camp? The new chapter of Prince of Tennis begins here! The curtain rises on a new stage--”
Cast taken from ANN:

Hiroki Takahashi as Eiji Kikumaru
Junko Minagawa as Ryoma Echizen
Kohei Kiyasu as Kaoru Kaidoh

Kenjiro Tsuda as Sadaharu Inui
Ryotaro Okiayu as Kunimitsu Tezuka
Yuki Kaida as Shusuke Fuji

Akiko Kimura as An Tachibana
Akira Ishida as Hajime Mizuki
Akira Nakagawa as
Kachirou
Karupin

I don't generally like sports anime, but I find myself interested in both this and Area no Kishi -- the latter because it's from the author of Drops of God and Bloody Monday and this because tennis is the one sport I actually enjoy watching.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 23:11   Link #2
sayde

I managed to watch the first episode today. It looks like its shaping up to be more of the same...which essentially means I've fallen in love all over again. I don't know how well received this franchise is on these forums, but I liked the original series a lot. So I'm happy to see they've brought it back after all this time.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 12:46   Link #3
Utsuro no Hako

This may be the first example of Dawson Casting in an anime. There is no way those people are in middle school. I'd have a hard time buying them as high school students.

I wish they hadn't blown their budget on CG. That opening shot of the train station made me think we might get Hanasaku Iroha-level animation, but then half the traditional animation consisted of panning across still drawings.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 12:56   Link #4
yellowscarves

In the original series, Seigaku had the nationals as their goal and that was made clear early on. I have to wonder what this series will be building up towards.

Also, middle schoolers that play at the professional level... I'll have a tough time swallowing that. If they're so good, why haven't they competed in the nationals and why are we just now hearing about them?
yellowscarves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 20:43   Link #5
larethian

I agree with yellowscarves on the part about believability.
POT used to be so good, but it seems the author ran out of moves and started doing fantastic stuff; I dropped it ever since Kikumaru can do bunshin.

Last edited by larethian; 2012-01-06 at 04:31. Reason: misspelled
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 21:09   Link #6
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Prince of Tennis is obviously nothing more than a cash-in at this point.

I mean, the plot for this is pretty much 'Assemble ALL THE POPULAR CHARACTERS to fight against new enemies.'

Personally, I stopped caring about believability when it comes to PoT. I'm just watching/reading it for the hilarity of it... as well as the fact that despite how one-dimensional some PoT characters are, I'm a fan of some of them.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 21:13   Link #7
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowscarves View Post
In the original series, Seigaku had the nationals as their goal and that was made clear early on. I have to wonder what this series will be building up towards.

Also, middle schoolers that play at the professional level... I'll have a tough time swallowing that. If they're so good, why haven't they competed in the nationals and why are we just now hearing about them?
Spoiler for possible spoiler for the old series?:

To me POT has already ended at the episode 178 of the first series. Everything released after that became more and more ridiculous to watch. Just how did they come up with those tennis moves?

Quote:
Personally, I stopped caring about believability when it comes to PoT. I'm just watching/reading it for the hilarity of it... as well as the fact that despite how one-dimensional some PoT characters are, I'm a fan of some of them.
Pretty much the same reason I still find myself watching this show. There are some characters I care about, and also, those crack-filled episodes in the original series that didn't happen in the manga were hilarious, and I hope the new series has them, too.
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn
The fact that you despair
Or the fact that you come to a resolution

Cannot prove that you are right.
~Everybody Has the Right to Make Mistakes~ - Quoted from Kino's Journey Vol. 12
BloodyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 21:15   Link #8
yellowscarves

I too, have a huge issue with the fantastic tennis. I stopped watching it soon after the nationals started, and after skimming through the national chapters and seeing blood and characters injured to the point where they need to be wrapped in bandages, I decided not to pick it back up. The old PoT really was something special, and it's a shame it didn't stay true to its roots. I'd much rather watch an adaptation of Baby Steps, but thought I'd give this a try on a whim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyKitty View Post
Spoiler for possible spoiler for the old series?:
Spoiler for Spoiler:
Old 2012-01-05, 21:26   Link #9
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Prince of Tennis ( the anime ) peaked for me at the Tezuka vs Fuji fight.

I know it was an original anime take on the Tezuka/Fuji angle, but I thought they captured the rivalry and drama really well and executed a tennis match that didn't rely on a crutch of "My Super Tennis > Your Super Tennis."

But alas, Konomi is too in love with DBZ Tennis.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2012-01-05, 21:46   Link #10
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowscarves View Post
Spoiler for Spoiler:
Spoiler for spoiler:

Quote:
Prince of Tennis ( the anime ) peaked for me at the Tezuka vs Fuji fight.

I know it was an original anime take on the Tezuka/Fuji angle, but I thought they captured the rivalry and drama really well and executed a tennis match that didn't rely on a crutch of "My Super Tennis > Your Super Tennis."
This. It's one of my favorite matches ever in the show. Or maybe just any matches that has Tezuka in it. The captain just has that big of an influence on his teammates and opponents, including the main character.
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn
The fact that you despair
Or the fact that you come to a resolution

Cannot prove that you are right.
~Everybody Has the Right to Make Mistakes~ - Quoted from Kino's Journey Vol. 12
BloodyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 22:01   Link #11
yellowscarves

Not counting the Tezuka versus Fuji match, the last opening was the highlight of the series for me. Seeing those short clips of Tezuka versus Echizen remind me of how much I love tennis (plus, Dream Believer is an amazing song).
Old 2012-01-06, 07:50   Link #12
ookamigirl

I never watched the first series of this, but I'm not gonna miss this one.
Well, those guy sure were impressive with their skills.
Really nice first episode.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 11:58   Link #13
yellowscarves

Quote:
Originally Posted by ookamigirl View Post
I never watched the first series of this, but I'm not gonna miss this one.
There's no rush, ookamigirl. The first series is the one that should not be missed, and I guarentee you won't regret watching it.
Old 2012-01-06, 12:03   Link #14
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyKitty View Post
This. It's one of my favorite matches ever in the show. Or maybe just any matches that has Tezuka in it. The captain just has that big of an influence on his teammates and opponents, including the main character.
Konomi has a pretty obvious favouritism of Tezuka, even if he tries to downplay it sometimes ( by giving Tezuka tough fights ), but it only shows that he treads carefully when it comes to Tezuka's fights.

Old 2012-01-06, 22:11   Link #15
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Is it just me or dose all those middle schoolers look like there in there 20s
Old 2012-01-06, 23:20   Link #16
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
dat dance in the ed, i wonder what type of technology are they using to make that?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 00:48   Link #17
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
Is it just me or dose all those middle schoolers look like there in there 20s
It's been played for jokes more times than once... Tezuka being mistaken as a teacher. I'm sure there's been a few jokes about Sanada as well.

The only ones who actually look like middle-schoolers are Ryoma and Kintaro.

Old 2012-01-07, 11:43   Link #18
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Oh man, I remember how obsessed I was with the first season, especially around the first 100 episodes or so. Then my love tapered off as the story became repetitive and moves just too ridiculous. I did end up finishing the first season, as well as the manga, but I just couldn't enjoy it as much as I had in the first season. Tezuka and Fuji was my favorite two characters, but Snake and the glasses guy were great characters as well (can't remember their names;; ). Though, maybe I'll watch a few episodes for the nostalgia and drop after I lose even that.
Old 2012-01-12, 20:31   Link #19
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

I liked the show because it was the first tennis anime I had ever seen. I too gave up on the realistic side, partly because when I was younger, I was exposed to Captain Tsubasa. Anyways, I hated some of the characters, like the other clueless annoying first years. I can't believe that Horio kid is back.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 15:14   Link #20
ookamigirl

First match was pretty intense. The 2-string racket thing was interesting.
Momo doesn't quit easily, that's for sure!
Nice episode!

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote