Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-04-27, 00:20   Link #2461
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Send a message via AIM to Futaba-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Futaba-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
That's シムラークルム宮国 Simulacrum Kyūkoku, track 15 on OST 2. It's my most-loved piece on the entire soundtrack, which is saying a lot
I was disappointed when that (and Shinpan) didn't make it onto OST 1... but the piece that has really, really grown on me (and which I find myself replaying whenever I listen to OST 1) is Tabidachi no Yokan.
Futaba-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 00:49   Link #2462
rishidan
Lackey Extraordinair

Quote:
Your best, possibly only, bet is an auction site like Yahoo! Japan. The Maruya kits showed up there within 24 hours of release (August 2006 for Neviril/Aaeru, Feb 2007 for Morinas and Limone - they were sold at the Summer and Winter Wonder Festivals respectively). I counted six or seven Nevi/Aaeru kits go by and three each of Morinas and Limone - after the initial rush it took a while for the last ones to be sold, so there may still be people out there biding their time to sell.
I had a contact who can read and speak Japanese check for the garage kits but he wasn't able to find a single one anywhere.

Quote:
To give you an idea of price, I paid Y16,000 for Neviril/Aaeru, 10k for Morinas and 7k for Limone (plus another US$20-30 per auction in deputy service fees). These figures were fairly typical, except that I paid a bit much for Morinas - 7k would have been more reasonable, but at the time there was only the one kit for sale and I didn't want to miss out.
That link to Celga just cost me close to $150 if I win the auctions.

I'm torn between thanking you for the informing me about a site I've been looking for for the better part of a decade and raising my fist dramatically over my head and yelling "Curse you Simon... CURSE YOUR VERY SOUL!!!"

Seriously tho, you won't tell my wife..... right?

Quote:
For website navigation you can a get long way just by learning katakana. Once you're able to read the script, you'll notice that a lot of words are simply transliterated English. The way Japanese speakers do that transliteration may take some getting used to, but after a while it'll seem perfectly logical to write ガレキ gareki for "garage kit" (it's short for ガレージキット garēji kitto).
I'm one of those people who doesn't excel at memorization but rather by 'immersion', so the "buy a book" methodology is right out. This makes life extremely difficult since I don't have a single friend who knows any more Japanese than baka and nee-san.

If money wasn't a concern, I'd seriously consider getting a job in the back of a Japanese restaurant washing dishes or something.

Quote:
Hell yeah, but that Simoun is going to be one epic challenge to paint! You'd never guess from this pic, but the upper helical motor has an outer diameter of about 10mm - it's by the loop of wire visible in the kit contents (top left). I forsee many painstaking hours spread over a year of Sunday afternoons
Maybe it's a good idea I didn't find one of the kits... I dunno if I'd be up to that kind of challenge.

If you handed me two different sized paint brushes I'd be able to paint your house in a few days but that is a level of concentrated detail that I'm not sure I could accomplish in a manner that I'd be even remotely satisfied with.

Just out of curiosity, how easy is it to paint that sort of material? I can't imagine there's much room for error since it seems that any type of paint remover / thinner would also remove part of the medium.

Quote:
And finally, since I've been taking pics of my YJ plunder anyway, there are some Simoun phonecards in the middle of this image.
You're a person after my own heart. I was torn between the DVD poster and a couple of the phone cards but opted for the poster since my office's walls are pretty bare.

Now I just need to find the PlayStation Game and I'll be set!
rishidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 01:16   Link #2463
rishidan
Lackey Extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Another beloved BGM of mine from Simoun's OST is Kasuka Naru Koi no Kokoro.
Thanks for the recommendation, it really is a very pretty melody. I didn't realize that I missed it when I browsed the CD the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaba-chan View Post
I was disappointed when that (and Shinpan) didn't make it onto OST 1... but the piece that has really, really grown on me (and which I find myself replaying whenever I listen to OST 1) is Tabidachi no Yokan.
I got one of the OST's recently but wasn't sure which it was since it was second hand. Now I just need to find #2.

One of my other favs is track #6, Josei Kokka Dai Yon Gakushou: Josei Kokka Kakuritsu. I have NO idea what that translates into but, if I don't watch my speedometer when I'd cruising up the 15 in the morning, it's literally gonna translate into one hell of a speeding ticket.

I dunny why but there's something about the melody which makes it soooooo easy to down shift into 3rd and blow by the line of idiots in the "fast lane" who are only doing 60.
Old 2007-04-27, 04:07   Link #2464
xObserveRx

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Now, now, there's no need to be competing to see who's the most badass. There were plenty of series I enjoyed in 2006, namely Kanon, SHnY, Welcome to the NHK, etc... and the fact that Simoun is a great series doesn't prevent me from enjoying the rest of them. And shouldn't prevent you, either
I never said that I didn't enjoy any other series, I just said that I enjoyed Simoun more. And that's not saying the other series weren't great; they were. I just found that I got the most satisfaction on the whole, from Simoun. I'm curious where you got the Idea that I was hating on all other series from?
xObserveRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 04:38   Link #2465
oneplusme
Simoun-Fans Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishidan View Post
Anyone else want to share their favorite piece(s) of music and/or scenes?
Favourite scenes? Now that could be tricky to choose...

Spoiler for Favourite scenes throughout the series:
oneplusme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 11:48   Link #2466
Seska

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplusme View Post
Favorite scenes? Now that could be tricky to choose...
You forgot the scene, where your avatar hold some VIP, and swap place with the VIP...

My scene:
Where Yun, tells the truth about War. After some Nagate (Nagate=More then buddy/fighting buddy. I have it, from Bleach manga) died.
and the Scenes that i used in my AMV's, of course.

"Look, we might be losing the War, but we still have fangs"... No one say this, of course. But some episode display this message...(My Simoun-Fight)

(don't want to use Spoiler tag)

Last edited by Seska; 2007-04-27 at 16:56.
Seska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 13:30   Link #2467
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

AARGH! I was just finishing a lenthy post describing my favourite scenes when I hit backspace and the browser went one page back losing my post. So now I will just list them without saying much about them.

Spoiler for fanboysih rambling:

Hm, maybe I should have thought of limiting the number of scenes in that list.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 14:36   Link #2468
Hadriano

Simoun at Anime Boston 2007

I didn't get to chat much with the director since I was busy working at AB, but I did get to meet with him at the Charity Auction that we hold every Sunday. And, I slipped away with one yummy.

Spoiler for Huge picture inside:

It's the original storyboard that he used for Simoun Ep. 1, personalized. We didn't get to chat much about the series, but he just shrugged when asked on why it didn't do so well.

Also, I helped get a few Simoun music pieces into our formal ball. It was fun tangoing to some of it.
Hadriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 15:16   Link #2469
rishidan
Lackey Extraordinair

Jealousy Abounds ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadriano View Post
I didn't get to chat much with the director since I was busy working at AB, but I did get to meet with him at the Charity Auction that we hold every Sunday. And, I slipped away with one yummy.

Spoiler for Huge picture inside:

It's the original storyboard that he used for Simoun Ep. 1, personalized. We didn't get to chat much about the series, but he just shrugged when asked on why it didn't do so well.

Also, I helped get a few Simoun music pieces into our formal ball. It was fun tangoing to some of it.
EXCELLENT snag Hadriano!!!! How the #@$% did you happen across that gem?!

If it's the story board, is there any chance of you posting some pics of the inside?
Old 2007-04-27, 15:41   Link #2470
Hadriano

A few pictures from the storyboard...

I found out that this would be on the auction block on Saturday after I posted it on the AB blog. I wasn't letting anyone get in the way of me owning this.

It went for a pretty penny, but it was worth it since it was going to charity.

Spoiler for Kiss by Neviril and Amuria:

Spoiler for Simouns entering battle:

Spoiler for Ri Mājons:

Spoiler for Neviril panicking when she sees other pilot:

Spoiler for Neviril in pain after Emerald Ri Mājon:

Spoiler for Aearu takes off and goes into battle:
Hadriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 15:44   Link #2471
BiZz
God ?

You are Lucky man xD
BiZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 16:31   Link #2472
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Thanks for posting that great stuff, Hadriano.

As for favorite scenes, as we are seeing there are just too many. "Tachinasai, Aaeru. Watashi ga anata no paru yo" from Neviril on the burning deck in ep8 never fails to give me chills.

And Neviril's parade to the Simouns in episode one does the same. And I love the scene of Amuria peering from her cockpit like some leopard.
Spoiler for some favorite scenes:
And so on. There are probably several in every episode. I like every scene mentioned so far.

By the way, the release of the final subbed episodes has enlivened this thread so that we are now within 25 posts of the 2500 someone mentioned a while ago.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 22:09   Link #2473
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
By the way, the release of the final subbed episodes has enlivened this thread so that we are now within 25 posts of the 2500 someone mentioned a while ago.
Yes, and the stats should be slightly more spread out than before, too, with there being slightly more posters other than the usual suspects recently

Just doing my part to help with the 2500 I don't mean to be trollish, but, really, the post count is quite noticeable on the board; and this mention brought back memories

Congrats to the fansub group on the completion of their effort. I mean that quite sincerely. Even though I feel lukewarm towards the show, I can appreciate fan initiative like that.
yononaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 00:27   Link #2474
rishidan
Lackey Extraordinair

Random question...

Every series (at least the ones that I can remember off the top of my head) which made it past 14 episodes usually re-did either the opening or ending theme and credits.

Since Simoun kept both for all 26 eps, I wonder if that was a clue that it wasn't making enough ¥¥ to justify the expenditure?

Also, why did it top out at 26 episodes? I may be completely mistaken but I was under the impression that the max number of episodes (depending upon the time of year) is generally between 22 and 24.
Old 2007-04-28, 01:03   Link #2475
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

>>rishidan: I don't think this is the kind of series that would change OP or ED, but I'm not sure. I certainly never expected it to, anyway. They hired known artists to do both: Ishikawa Chiaki and Savage Genius. And 26 is more the standard number for two kuur (13-week seasons). 24 and 25 are other possibilities, but not more common, I don't believe. That's not to deny that this show was not very popular. Its unpopularity reflected badly on the viewing public, from my biased point of view.

>>yononaka: I actually hesitated to post about the 2500 in case you might find it a provocation. But it seems we have both mellowed, while still keeping our original opinions. Glad to see you're still keeping track of the thread. Your provocative (to me) posts added a lot to the discussion (and to the number of posts). I agree that it is good to see new additions to the cast of characters that posts here.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-04-28 at 01:20.
Old 2007-04-28, 01:13   Link #2476
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by yononaka View Post
I don't mean to be trollish, but, really, the post count is quite noticeable on the board; and this mention brought back memories
==> Kaoru Chujo casts Summon yononaka

==> yononaka appears!

j/k - nice to see you're still around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadriano View Post
And, I slipped away with one yummy. ... It's the original storyboard that he used for Simoun Ep. 1, personalized.
Oh wow, that is 100% Pure Win. I've picked up a few storyboards on YJ, but to get the director's copy, signed by the man himself... Congratulations!

As a bit of trivia, note the crossed-out kanji in the staff list on the cover: my b&w copy of ep1 has that corrected, which makes yours seem even more special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
That said, I still like Kanashimi no Simoun Shivuyura the most and have watched the pivotal scene with Rodoreamon and Mamiina in the end of episode 10 an unhealthy amount of time largely because of it.
That's a wonderful piece of music all right - both on its own and as part of what I call the "flight arc" on the CD (tracks 8-11, with Sono Mama De as the perfect landing). From the opening bars of Tabidachi no Yokan I'm completely swept away. Uplifting for the soul, but not so good when you're crossing the road with headphones on...

Hadriano's post reminded me that there's an ep10 storyboard begging for a home on YJ. Relevant to your interests, perhaps?

Spoiler for Mamiina and Rodore in ep10:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishidan View Post
I'm torn between thanking you for the informing me about a site I've been looking for for the better part of a decade and raising my fist dramatically over my head and yelling "Curse you Simon... CURSE YOUR VERY SOUL!!!"
Mwuahahaha! My work here is done

Seriously though, good luck - both with winning your auctions and with explaining the credit card bill to your wife (I'm sure she'll forgive you ... eventually).

Quote:
Now I just need to find the PlayStation Game and I'll be set!
I've pre-ordered mine from Animate via Celga Shopping. It's probably not the cheapest source, but I want to maximise my chances of getting the first-pressing bonus Shimire booklet.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 12:04   Link #2477
rishidan
Lackey Extraordinair

Quote:
Hadriano's post reminded me that there's an ep10 storyboard begging for a home on YJ. Relevant to your interests, perhaps?

Mwuahahaha! My work here is done

Seriously though, good luck - both with winning your auctions and with explaining the credit card bill to your wife (I'm sure she'll forgive you ... eventually).
I was bidding on the below but due to the fees + S&H, I tried to save a few ¥ and I ended up losing it.

Whether they were pulled out of a magazine or not, I'm STILL kicking myself soooooooo hard for being an idiot!

Quote:
I've pre-ordered mine from Animate via Celga Shopping. It's probably not the cheapest source, but I want to maximise my chances of getting the first-pressing bonus Shimire booklet.
Wait, I thought it was already out... There's an auction (★ポスター PS2 シムーン 異薔薇戦争 SIMOUN) that's selling what looks to be the poster, game manual and leaflet. Do Japanese companies release this stuff BEFORE the actual games? If so, that seems a bit odd. =\

Last edited by rishidan; 2007-04-28 at 13:40.
Old 2007-04-28, 14:35   Link #2478
omgwtfgg

OST missing tracks

Hi, I wanted to ask about the missing piano track found on the last few episodes of Simoun. It can be found at:

ep. 24 13:24

ep. 25 9:17

It's my favorite track from the series, but it doesn't seem to be on either of the OSTs. Was wondering if anyone had any information on it or have it on any format (mp3, midi, wav)? Even if someone could tell me the name of the track, it would be appreciated.
omgwtfgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 14:47   Link #2479
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
>>yononaka: I actually hesitated to post about the 2500 in case you might find it a provocation. But it seems we have both mellowed, while still keeping our original opinions. Glad to see you're still keeping track of the thread. Your provocative (to me) posts added a lot to the discussion (and to the number of posts). I agree that it is good to see new additions to the cast of characters that posts here.
Oh stop it, you're making me sound like a dangerous menace "Provocation"? I just looked at the thread because recently it's been featured more than it's been for a while, and it was funny to see you pointing out the numbers again (I think it's pretty normal to occasionally check in on a thread you've participated in, even if it's not your top interest? At least it's pretty habitual for me; although I suppose posting again is less so.)

I'm not completely sure what you mean by "mellowing", as my attitude toward the show as such has been pretty mellow from the beginning. I never thought it was a terribly "bad" show on the absolute scale (if there is such a thing), just nowhere near the top spots or worthy of being called a masterpiece. The fact that I criticized certain aspects of Simoun doesn't mean I hated the show, I just thought the various shortcomings took away from both the quality of the show and the popularity it could have had. (Although, I doubt that if Simoun were made in a way I would have liked better, it would have gained mass popularity ) If you thought I wasn't mellow, that didn't have so much to do with the show

Quote:
==> Kaoru Chujo casts Summon yononaka

==> yononaka appears!

j/k - nice to see you're still around
But I didn't appear when fignae summoned me before (Maybe it was a coincidence, but my stats were also on the page she referred to.)

BTW, is it now certain that the game will actually come out when announced? I'm asking because for a while there it seemed to exhibit symptoms of... I'm not sure if there's a term for this, but basically being left flapping in the wind due to the franchise (esp. the DVD sales) not performing to expectations. This isn't a schadenfreude question, more of an industry observation point.
yononaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 15:57   Link #2480
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

>>yononaka: I have mellowed, anyway. Maybe you always felt mellow and I just took any criticism as provocation. Sure it's normal to check back in, I didn't mean to imply it wasn't. I wouldn't have thought of you if I hadn't thought it was normal. I was right that my mentioning the numbers was a provocation, though. It provoked you to post again. Perfectly reasonable all round.

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri