AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shana

Notices

View Poll Results: Shakugan no Shana II - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 62 57.94%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 28.04%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 10.28%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 1.87%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.87%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-04, 19:02   Link #101
karinvampire
Ka Ra Ku Ri

I have to say the best episode of the season I mean Wilhemina really stood out in this episode and now I really can't wait till next episode this reminded of why I watch this in the first place.
Old 2008-03-04, 19:10   Link #102
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by karinvampire View Post
I have to say the best episode of the season I mean Wilhemina really stood out in this episode and now I really can't wait till next episode this reminded of why I watch this in the first place.
Yeah, until episode 14-15 or so watching SnS II seems more like an obligation (because I've finished the first season) than actually enjoying it. This fight really made it worth it.

Also, does anyone else find it funny how the master of unrestricted spells cannot take down/neutralize the effects of Stigma?
Old 2008-03-04, 19:23   Link #103
mir
Canta per me...

Send a message via AIM to mir
I thought the episode was excellent. Creative fights, animation was top notch, and we got to see a lot more resolve and determination out of Wilhelmina than ever before. Hopefully the next episode is even better (aka needs Hecate sighting <.< ). As it stands, solid 9/10.
Old 2008-03-04, 19:27   Link #104
Aquifina

Wow. Great episode.

1. The action was obviously awesome, and Wilhemina was really allowed to shine.

2. But the ep. went beyond the action. Sabrac looks to be a great character; not only is he absurdly powerful, and has a great VA, but he seems to be a genuinely interesting character. His regret at having to kill as talented an adversary as Wilhemina, and his self criticism for not finishing her off earlier, all make him a great villain IMO.

3. Thank you, Shana, for showing some emotional awareness when she told Kazumi that Yuji had returned to his usual self. It seems that she has at least some inclination of what he wanted to say to her, before Sabrac appeared. The overdone jealousy arc with Konoe fades further into the future.

4. Aside from the one moment of screaming, Yuji does seem to be in pretty good shape. He was properly thankful of Wilhemina taking those wounds to protect him, and he's clearly using his brain to try to find a way of defeating Sabrac, as opposed to just moping in an emo funk.

There are two main questions in my mind for the rest of the season:

1. When will Hecate and the rest of Bal Maque make their re-appearance. That scene where Hecate interacts with the dove at the end of an ep is no coincidence in my view; there *must* IMO be some kind of lingering effect of the Konoe arc. At least, I hope there will be, in order to help justify the overly drawn out jealousy business that marred that section of the season.

2. Will Shana properly confess to Yuji by the end of the season? I have to think she will--there are two many eps left in the season to not do it, when she was so ready to do so at the festival, but how will it occur? And what effects will it have?

3. Will Pheles return this season? Considering how much they've focused on Kazumi's hougu, it seems likely, but who knows?
Old 2008-03-04, 21:38   Link #105
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Also, does anyone else find it funny how the master of unrestricted spells cannot take down/neutralize the effects of Stigma?
Not really. It simply goes to show how unique and deadly Stigma is. Considering what Margery said, it is also the first time she has to deal with something like this.

Episode 20 thoughts:
I don't know where to start...The action? Wilhelmina? Sabrac?

-Actually, I didn't think the scream was that bad, especially when Yuji finally saw the monstrosity that was Sabrac for what he is. After what I've seen so far, what I don't want is a sudden calm and powering up for Yuji, because that would be too shounen-ish in nature. Even Wilhelmina stopped him from doing something foolish.

-Speaking of which, Wilhelmina really shone here, because previously all we've seen her is try to kill Yuji, getting beaten up by Bal-Peol (that was justifiable, though), restraining Pheles and constantly battling the mysteries of how to cook a good meal. Being able to see one of the Flame Hazes NOT taking the upper hand is interesting, and that actually allows us to see Wilhelmina using her capabilities to the max. Although it's a given she will lose eventually, one can't help but cheer for her due to her tenacity and her ingenuity in using the landscape and delaying tactics to try to beat Sabrac.

The way she used the two buildings to try to crush Sabrac reminded me of the superheroes shown in Marvel or DC. Whatever that's around can and must be used.

-Sabrac. Is .Awesome. Kudos to J.C Animation for getting Takaya Kuroda for the role, since his voicing of Sabrac was pretty fitting for an assassin. Interestingly, Sabrac actually has some typical interests of an extremely strong character, like feeling pity at needing to kill off someone as skillful as Wilhelmina, attributing his 'failures' to his own bad habits by admitting them and calmly pondering about the consequences of the battle (wondering how many swords he will lose in the battle this time). Another one would be the fact that he uses others to help fulfil his purposes, so much so that he might not even have to lift a finger to finish the job. Makes me wonder whether the signal for him to enter was the large proportion of POE Bifrons fired, or the death of Zarovee and him.

One unfortunate thing about the episode with him was that despite his monstrous capabilities, the stating of the purpose of Zarovee and Bifrons might actually put him into the category of being a stereotypical villain who 'thinks nothing of the opponent or seeing as they are about to die, decides to humor their questions with a direct answer.' That is just one point of view though, and I'd prefer not to look too much into that.

-Where's the answer, Keisaku? Although we might be hearing that from him in the next episode, I wouldn't blame him if he can find no answer currently. His sole purpose to enter the world of the Guze and experience its dangers was because of Margery, the person who brought him in in the first place.

-Some Shana/Kazumi bonding, though overshadowed by the ongoing battle between Wilhelmina and Sabrac. Nothing much except for Shana's reassurances and the fact that since the two girls haven't really seen and experienced the terror of the Destructive Blade, they can still smile.

-When did Yuji get away, and how? I get the feeling it was when we stopped hearing Yuji talk (or make some kind of noise) at one point in time that she switched him with a bandage clone, though.

You know what rating this is going to get from me.
Old 2008-03-04, 21:43   Link #106
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Sabrac seems awfully extravagant with his PoE, especially for one called an assassin. Burnin' power like there's no tomorrow... Power overwhelming, I suppose.
Old 2008-03-04, 22:01   Link #107
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Yeah it just shows the power of Sabrac's unrestricted spell. If even Margery can't do a thing about it. But guess it wouldn't be so useful it could be countered easily.

I don't think it was a big thing for Sabrac to give Carmel a direct answer. Since she is an opponent he has a past with and respect for.

Think Yuji stepped out when Carmel used that trap. She could fly through the alley, drop Yuji off, and set up the trap. Since when she pulled that move Yuji was conveniently not around. Of course to be sure we'd have to ask her personally, but right now she's pretty busy.
Old 2008-03-04, 22:03   Link #108
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
Sabrac seems awfully extravagant with his PoE, especially for one called an assassin. Burnin' power like there's no tomorrow... Power overwhelming, I suppose.
He's an 'assassin' because of how he's able to sneak up to opponents without them noticing. Note how Wilhelmina perceived his fighting style as: Dealing a good load of damage and killing his opponent off before he/she is able to gather him/herself. I'm pretty sure it was actually the fact that he had to face Wilhelmina that dragged on the battle, and we were able to see him extravagantly 'wasting' his POE.

Anyway, he's got loads of it, so as long as he's in control, I don't think he really cares.
Old 2008-03-04, 22:21   Link #109
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Yet another person who does not understand Friagne. But yeah Sabrac is awesome, very awesome.

Okay i won't get into it. Huge Friagne fanboy here.
Loooong flashback, but I still remember how I was so surprised when Friagne got snuffed. I thought he was going to be the series' main villain and stuff (ala Inuyasha's Naraku). That was amusing.

Also, I heartily approve of your sentiment. Aside from Sabrac, Friagne is like, the only convincing villain in the entire series. Everyone else either fits the category of "what the **** is that?" or "member of Conspiratorial Organization X."
Old 2008-03-04, 23:06   Link #110
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Also, I heartily approve of your sentiment. Aside from Sabrac, Friagne is like, the only convincing villain in the entire series. Everyone else either fits the category of "what the **** is that?" or "member of Conspiratorial Organization X."
What about the Incest Twins and their giant plant tentacle thing?
Old 2008-03-04, 23:08   Link #111
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

I hope Sabrac doesn't go down in the next episode, as that would be lame.

He's a king of Guze out of any dimension he has ever crept in the Shana-verse.

I definitely went gung-ho with the explosive fight that went between him and Wilhelmina.
The staff for this season made Wilhelmina to go out at full power, and she deserves praise and commendation for her battle prowess and cognitive skills.

Though I have the sensation that Sabrac shares a similar thorough mindset as that of Wilhelmina.

Sabrac has become my favorite villain in all of the Shana-verse. He possess a reserved personality and his own flaws when it comes at getting distracted with the realization of his own mistakes.

But the best are his repertoire of special attacks and abilities.
Spoiler:

Sabrac is from another dimension.

But I'm getting a worried about how fast this second season is reaching the end. This is turning the same as with the last arc from the previous season.

Will the staff be able to nicely wrap things, at least as the fight with Sabrac is concerned?
Because nothing hasn't been resolved yet about the Reiji Maigo, Pheles & Johan, the Silver, the Bal Masque, Yoshida's resolve, and for Shana and Yuuji.
Old 2008-03-04, 23:13   Link #112
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
What about the Incest Twins and their giant plant tentacle thing?
That would go in the category of "what the **** is that" because they are, well, plain stupid. Probably among the worst and cheesiest of the lot.
Old 2008-03-05, 01:29   Link #113
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
That would go in the category of "what the **** is that" because they are, well, plain stupid. Probably among the worst and cheesiest of the lot.
They were pretty stupid, but I would have liked it if they stayed around longer. I actually like the twins.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-03-05, 01:34   Link #114
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Hee. Giga Drill Breaker de arimasu!
Old 2008-03-05, 01:52   Link #115
tntrulez

Yuji is such a wimp. Can't even smack on the girls. Go die soon Yuji.

Now Sabrac, they could have made the anime about him and it would have been awesome.

I wonder what he's trying to gain by going around assassinating people. I bet it's just to test himself. That would be an awesome reason.
Old 2008-03-05, 05:20   Link #116
OverFunk
It will never be the year

I hope that Sabrac isn't defeated by the end of 21...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
The fight is totally awesome...Sabrac and his pew pews, it's like watching a game of touhou being animated
Heh, so I wan't the only one who thought that. Wilhelmina = Meido = Sakuya. So moar grazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntrulez View Post
Yuji is such a wimp. Can't even smack on the girls. Go die soon Yuji.

Now Sabrac, they could have made the anime about him and it would have been awesome.
OH LAWD.

Never forget
Old 2008-03-05, 05:23   Link #117
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverFunk View Post
I hope that Sabrac isn't defeated by the end of 21...

Oh god no. You don't know how much I hate fights that stretch more than 2 episodes. It's just pointless and leaves little room for progression. It's bad enough that this fight already spans an entire episodes and bleeds into the next.

Anyone who wants a fight that spans 3 episodes and hated the Konoe arc is a hypocrite. They're both the same thing, very little progression and needless dragging.
Old 2008-03-05, 08:18   Link #118
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Oh god no. You don't know how much I hate fights that stretch more than 2 episodes. It's just pointless and leaves little room for progression. It's bad enough that this fight already spans an entire episodes and bleeds into the next.

Anyone who wants a fight that spans 3 episodes and hated the Konoe arc is a hypocrite. They're both the same thing, very little progression and needless dragging.
'Getting defeated in episode 21' and 'getting defeated in a fight that drags on till episode 21' is a little different, actually. I think OverFunk was referring to the villanous lifespan of Sabrac in the anime season by itself.
Old 2008-03-05, 14:35   Link #119
christinemarie
Crazy One

This is the best episode ever in SnS (season 1 and season 2 combined)
BTW, Gainax helped out J.C. Staff in this epic episode.

I love Sabrac. Most awesome villain in an anime this year.
Old 2008-03-05, 16:29   Link #120
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Hmm... I guess I'll have to be the odd ball on not finding Sabrac awesome. He relies on his infinite lives hack way too much, he commited way too many blunders IMHO (I mean, he died 3-4 times already), he relies more on spam attacks rather than accuracy, and gets a little too related with his victim to be an assasin. I mean, he's cool and all, but I found Friagne or Metamorphosis to be much more calculating and precise into what they did.
Closed Thread