AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

View Poll Results: sola - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 25 36.23%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 43.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 11.59%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 8.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-17, 09:51   Link #41
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

I started to have a strong suspicion of Matsuri's true intent,but I think Mayuko confirmed it when she said the word "sacrifice" to Matsuri.

Also it would be stupid for Yorito to tell Aono he wants her to be happy only to sic Matsuri on her.

Super speculative theory
Spoiler:
Old 2007-06-17, 10:04   Link #42
Kenji_Chaos

i think...

Spoiler for Predictions:
Old 2007-06-17, 10:11   Link #43
Boukenxha

I think be it a big sacrifice or a small one, someone ought to gain something in return. So perhaps at least one person will not die... maybe.

Anyway, I think Nemesis2124's theory is quite interesting with Aono being the beneficiary. I like the idea of revisiting the past, which would probably include some bonus mind-fuck for Aono. And if we are really going back to the past, it means we'll be getting a 2 for 1 flashback ep which will please me greatly. The problem will be how to make this time-travel trip work in Aono's favour and not have her breakdown again when she returns to reality.

And I just have to mention that the Mana x Yorito scene on the rooftop was very well done. The Koyori x Aono one was pretty good as well. As for the theory behind it, I say for dramatic effect and atmosphere. No that's not necessary a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But still, maybe something big that affects the area may be what's in store? It still is suspcious that Mayuko and Takeshi left the area.
Not just with Mayuko and Takeshi, they also cut out Mana and Koyori from any more involvement. I hope they will be back, even if it's just a glimpse of their normal life. A Mana head-chop on Koyori will be nice.
Old 2007-06-17, 10:43   Link #44
gosuken

Send a message via MSN to gosuken
This episode was beautiful but full of sadness. I agree it was not full of twist but the straight forwardness of this episodes gave it much of power.

Spoiler for Episode 12???:
Old 2007-06-17, 11:31   Link #45
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I think that Matsuri is behind the amplified mind wipe. Her existence was the first to go. You would have thought that Mana would have had a pic of her on her cellphone still from the prelude to the station fight. Mana has not once mentioned Matsuri and attempted a confession at the end.

Aono would not have needed to do something on this scale if moving to a different location accomplishes the same thing imo. Plus Aono would not need to wipe out Matsuri's existence since she is just worried about herself and Yorito.

In a worse case scenario, Aono could be totally oblivious to the mind wipe currently going on imo.

So do you think that Matsuri already "killed" Yorito? He did have a blank expression on his face at the end of the episode.
Old 2007-06-17, 11:36   Link #46
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Watched the Doremi fansub that was just recently released.....and I'm left thinking "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!"

Before I go into that though, first off, I'll have to say that this is easily one of the best Sola episodes, in terms of emotional delivery. And no, I'm not going to put anything in spoilers; the Doremi sub is out, so I feel absolutely no obligation to extend this courtesy. However, I'll give a warning at least; if you don't want spoilers, skip my post. Now.

Alright, now that's out of the way, my thoughts. Episode 11 set the tone from the get-go; Yorito peeling his pride and joy off the ceiling from the very first second was just a precursor of the heart-wrench that was to come. Like the first sign of farewell it seemed to me, and definitely the sign of things to come.

Aono's demeanour sees a 180 degrees turn-about this round; now she very clearly gives off the vibes of insecurity, feeling unstable about herself and her relationship with Yorito. Very different from the Kaede-madness that came over her just a couple of episodes ago, and honestly, how I wished they went with insecure Aono from the very start; it would have made it that much easier for me to sympathize with her. In fact, I felt for Aono more in this one episode than I did throughout the rest of the series so far; it was an example of how to do things right, but too little too late, if you know what I mean. Really, if she had dropped the Yuki-coldness and showed more emotion even as she was hunting down Matsuri previously, I might have liked her just a little bit better than that....

Yorito too feels like an entirely different character than he used to be, but I guess no one can be faced with the kind of revelation he had to endure, and not be changed by it. While his 'calm' demeanour creeped me out a little (I mean, smiling so much he gave off Itsuki-vibes, c'mon!), it does quite competently portray a certain resignation that is necessary for the whole thing to work, and I can only give a thumbs-up for this aspect.

And Mana.....what can I say? Take everything about the character into account, and I'll have to say that Mana is actually the best-portrayed character of the entire series. From the camaradie to the concern and finally the last meeting with Yorito, Mana undergoes the most consistent character development of everyone in the cast, and Honda-san's efforts certainly did not go to waste, either. There's nothing I don't like about the character of Ishizuki Mana, and it'll certainly be reflected in my Final Critique.

On the other hand, Koyori as a character gave a fairly good reckoning of herself as a character too, but the nature of her character kinda works against her in my opinion. I can understand a young girl like her not wanting to lose a friend, and Koyori's emotionality certainly does not fail in this regard, but what I do question is Koyori's seemingly absolute dependence on Aono. Only way I could ever accept such a dependence from one character on another is if there's a very good reason for it, and Koyori's reasons aren't very good in my opinion; she can go to school, she isn't suffering from some terminal illness that makes Aono the only pivot in her social life. Most girls her age shouldn't be that emotionally deep unless they have had a reason to mature beyond their years, and I don't see any reason for Koyori to develop such emotional depth. So while the Koyori-Aono scenes are touching in their own right, it doesn't totally wash with me. Apologies for that.

And Matsuri seems to be falling behind where character development is concerned; her moe-ness is what got me hooked on Sola in the first place, but as Sola has progressed thus far, she has been displaying a certain one-tone lack of change with respects to her personality that kind of leaves her in the lurch, where my empathy with her situation is concerned. Which makes her sudden transition in character all the more jarring; all of a sudden it feels like Matsuri has become the 'hunter' while Aono begins to look like the 'hunted', where for the entirety of the previous episodes it had been the other way round. Matsuri as a character seems to be drifting further and further from my comprehension, and consequently my preference, as I try in vain to figure out just what the hell she's planning.

Which is why, despite the obvious themes running in the last seconds of this episode, I'm not buying the possibility that it's a final Matsuri-Aono showoff; it would throw all logical sense out of the window, although Nomad has admittedly been less than stellar so far where their handling of plot consistency is concerned. I tend more towards the belief that Matsuri is going to offer the Aono the chance to do something, and the sword is needed as a prop for it; what exactly, I'm not sure. But I don't think it's a fight, especially not if Matsuri said it's something that she agreed with Yorito on; I don't think Yorito would agree to a bloodbath. So yeah, probably something to turn back the clock on, figuratively.

Therefore, would have been a perfect 10 for this episode, if not for the little 'the heck is going on' sequence at the end. As it is, Episode 11 still scores a pretty neat 9 from me on this one.
Old 2007-06-17, 12:18   Link #47
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

On the whole, this is one of the best Sola episodes thus far. The mood was powerful trough the whole episode, and the with Yorito peeling down his ceiling pictures you just knew something big is going to happen.

Aono finally acts in a way that doesn't make me want to see her burn. Should she have been this way earlier, perhaps i could be able to feel some sympathy towards her. Right now it is too late for me to like her in any way.

Yorito himself seems like a different person. Influence of his "old memories returning", or his soul has found some peace after finding out the truth and facing it? The Mana scenes were very well done, and i could truly sympathize with the girl. In the end it seems that her feelings for Yorito might indeed be deeper than just friends, but it was hard to tell.

The memory loss ... who is behind it? Considering that Yorito seems to be aware of it, it has to be either Matsuri or possibly Mayuko. Ok, lets cut to the real deal.

I am still unable to figure out just what is going to happen.

"I don't like the idea of some one being sacrificed" <- thank you for being vague enough for it to be impossible to tell whom you are talking about, Mayuko Ok, i assume Yorito is out of the question, so that leaves us with Matsuri and Aono.

"When you speak the boy's name, your face shows doubts". Now, the way i interpret this leaves me to believe that Matsuri and Yorito are not going to get a happy end, whatever it is they are plotting.

Matsuri sacrificing herself and thus being separated from Yorito? Both her and Yorito disappearing, but she wants to live (together with him)? But something seems fishy - Yorito has agreed to the idea, but i will be damned if i can picture him agreeing to Matsuri sacrificing herself.

Matsuri hunting down Aono seems out of question (being OOC for Matsuri aside), because Yorito proposed the moving to another city. Would seem like a really cruel joke if Aono's death is being plotted instead, so i assume that they intend for Aono to survive... or at least - to give her the choice.

And this is what i think Matsuri is there for in the end - to give Aono a choice of some sorts that will resolve the situation one way or another. But once again i am left with some loose ends in my hands that my mortal mind can't tie together. Mayko mentions a sacrifice, but i can't see Yorito agreeing to sacrificing either Matsuri or Aono.

Does Matsuri intend to end her life and restore Aono to normal? Wouldn't this cause Yorito to disappear? Yes, she wanted to disappear together with Yorito, but if this is the case, why would Yorito propose the moving away, if he knew he wouldn't be around soon?

Matsuri ending her life to somehow make Yorito a normal human? Excuse me while i go bash my head against the wall a bit ... maybe that will make me capable of imagining Yorito agreeing to it.

Matsuri going to slay Aono? The whole moving away thing doesn't make sense then, not to mention it doesn't seem like Matsuri at all. Yorito agreeing to it seems very far fetched as well. (Unless in some twisted way he imagines this making Aono happy ). "Your face shows doubts when you mention his name" doesn't make that much sense either ... unless this would cause Yorito to disappear... wait - a new idea popped in my head just now

They indeed intend a triple suicide/murder The whole moving away is an act to cover up their disappearance (along with the memory wipe) ... Matsuri chops up Aono -> Yorito disappears -> she kills herself.... ... or not.

Then we still have Yorito's promise to Matsuri.

Gah... my brain hurts. There are pieces that doesn't seem to fit in whatever theories i can come up with. There are still many ways the thing can go, and all the dialogue and hints are vague enough to keep us in the dark, aside from the feeling that something less than happy is going to happen. Perhaps we are aiming for one of the most tragic endings ever ... who knows... i surely don't.

And so, the gnawing on keyboard ensues again, along with the wait for the next episode. Something tells me it is going to be spectacular.
Old 2007-06-17, 12:52   Link #48
abunai yatsu

Leaving the whole Matsuri w/ sword thing aside (completely confused by this along everybody else), for some reason, I keep thinking how this series will pull a Moon Child (movie) on us.
Spoiler for ending of Moon Child:
Old 2007-06-17, 13:33   Link #49
Icerack

I don't think anyone's truly behind the mind wipe. I think the existances of Yakas or illusions just disappear from people's minds once they begin to leave or cease to exist.
Old 2007-06-17, 14:14   Link #50
abunai yatsu

That could be one possibility that explains the mind-wipe, but then, nobody has ceased to exist (yet) and there'd have to be a line that seperates when they "leave" as opposed to when people don't see them for a while.

As for the possibility that Matsuri, Aono, Mayuko, or even Yorito being the cause of the mind-wipe, I'm not sure that's the case either. When Aono made Yorito forget that he stabbed Matsuri, it seems to me that it was her control over paper that allowed her to do this.

I dont know about anybody else, but I'm getting a strong Socratic vibe from my own post.
Old 2007-06-17, 15:15   Link #51
stonedzombie
またね

Send a message via AIM to stonedzombie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom-Takaya View Post
Spoiler:
I totally forgot that Aono's picture disappeared as well......so obviously, its not only Yorito thats an illusion.....OR, they actually did purposely erase themselves from everyone's memory. And as painful as it is for me to say it, I have to agree with Dark's theory that Matsuri will probably sacrifice herself in order to give Aono and Yorito life again....

just thought of something. If Yorito is fake, how does he have such a nice house? And if its Aono's, how does SHE have that house? I know it sounds silly, but seriously......how? Maybe it was abandoned or what?

Last edited by stonedzombie; 2007-06-17 at 15:49.
Old 2007-06-17, 17:34   Link #52
Nemesis2124

Well, that theory is certainly a possibility. However, I think that's more ending material than an answer to episode 11's cliffhanger.

Also, it's rather interesting that we're talking about the yaka potentially being illusions as well. At some point I started getting the idea that yaka are closer to something like a ghost, rather than a true immortal. More accurately described as a creature whose time has stopped, rather than a being that lives forever. Think of typical ghost lore, where spirits fueled by negative emotion linger on in the world until they achieve their wishes. The similarity seems pretty uncanny to me, and with this new thought about them being illusions, I'm thinking the yaka are probably more of a metaphysical being than we've previously been led to believe. And with Yorito being made from this same metaphysical power, it makes sense that both he and the yaka are on the same level of existence.

Last edited by Nemesis2124; 2007-06-17 at 18:00.
Old 2007-06-17, 21:34   Link #53
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I don't only have the question of who's erasing memories. I wonder just what was going on when Yorito disappeared. Did he pull the disappearing act, himself? Gosh, that was hard to watch.

I don't imagine that Matsuri is actually coming to take out Aono. Yet, I can't see things going as she and Yorito plan.

Two episodes left, yes? It's already becoming so sad. That can only mean there will be an incredibly happy ending... right? Right?!

I'll accept nothing less than an ending with all of the characters living happily ever after in a big house under a bright blue sky in a big field full of flowers and bunnies and... and ponies. A MAN CAN DREAM, CAN'T HE?!

Also: The preview speech between Koyori and Mayuko warmed every bit of my heart. I'm just sitting here basking in the beauty of it.
Old 2007-06-17, 22:54   Link #54
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Mana is SO AWESOME. I said it and I will repeat it again: she owns. In fact, I have the theory that she only likes Yorito because that makes her more awesome :P, but damn, she runs and jumps like a ninja, and is like a 1st class detective (of the paranormal xD) and she looks good too. Its a shame what has happened in this episode, my favorite character is out of the important characters rooster :S (or is she?). The same goes for Koyori but in another way, I guess Mana goes for the "Action" while Koyori stayed back a little, getting worried (and involucrated) with the others more passively.
With that said, both sisters own. May they live a happy life (not like the main characters it seems).

Speculating is kinda useless in sola, I mean EVERYTHING can happen in this series xD, but I still think that the "Dying seeing the sunrise" is the most posible (and cliched) ending. Still, I hope they pull something better.
Old 2007-06-17, 23:04   Link #55
Nemesis2124

Either way, I just hope we get an actual ending, and not some eternal cliffhanger like so many shows love to do.
Old 2007-06-17, 23:18   Link #56
Forever
Revealing the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Mana going to slay Aono?
Erm you meant Matsuri right? I cant see how mana ever going to scratch her.

Anyway, another fantastic ep. The mood was melancholy yet beautiful at the same time.
Old 2007-06-18, 01:20   Link #57
dojikyo

I know it doesn't deserve a 10 and I'm sure I could pick it apart and or read some of the posts picking it apart but the scenes with Koyori +Aono and Mana+Yorito scenes shine far more brightly than any flaws.
Old 2007-06-18, 01:40   Link #58
kazune-kun

Yeah, that rooftop scene with Yorito and Mana is so sad. I didnt really like Mana but after that episode, my pov changed. She's reliable, understanding and like what she said "she's a very accepting person." I think she deserves to know the truth.

I have a feeling that Mana does like/love Yorito too. It seems like she was about to say either "I wont forget," or "I love you." ("I definitely... won't forget. I--")

Man, that sucks. Being forgotten that you existed is the worst thing ever.
Old 2007-06-18, 02:35   Link #59
Nemesis2124

Y'know, re-watching this episode I'm beginning to doubt we've really seen the end of Mana and Koyori's place in the story. One wonders just what point they really had if their importance ends here. Obviously, they won't be serving any active purpose in the final stages, but something tells me their sentiments are going to serve as a pivot for their respective important people.

Now, hypothetically speaking, if Yorito and Aono ever "re-established" their lives in the town, is it possible everyone's lost memories would return? A moot point you might say, but something tells me the shows current depressing mood could be a phase of sorts that will come and go by the time we get to the ending.

For a while now there's been a specific theme building: The idea that it's important for people to let go of the past, and worry about what's right in front of them. For Aono, it's rather easy to see how this can play out. She can come to accept her loss, look foward, and embrace the fact that there's someone else she should be with. The same concept may end up applying to Yorito as well though. If he manages to survive, and a certain somebody does indeed kick the bucket, it's possible he'll be put in much the same situation. One where he needs to accept the past, and look forward as well (Yes OP, I'm looking at you).

And interestingly, what got me on this train of thought is Yorito's recurring line that's been repeated over and over throughout the show. "No two skies are ever the same," or something to that effect. In a way, it's like a metaphor for the concept of accepting the loss of your precious thing, and realizing there's other great things out there.

...Or something like that; as always, the trash receptacle is very nearby.
Old 2007-06-18, 06:22   Link #60
Nifft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
I'll accept nothing less than an ending with all of the characters living happily ever after in a big house under a bright blue sky in a big field full of flowers and bunnies and... and ponies. A MAN CAN DREAM, CAN'T HE?!
Spoiler for pony:

I think Matsuri was the one erasing memories and records. Her power is decay, and it seems like memories, records, etc. are decaying part by part -- the stronger ones disappearing last.

Also, Aono was on camera during the erase process (packing and doing origami), while Matsuri didn't appear until deletion was complete.

My preferred ending: Mitsuri kills Aono and herself, but uses the blood to make Yorigami into a real boy, who goes to school as a new transfer student. Last scene is Yorito bantering with Mana (who is flirtatious).

-- N
Closed Thread