AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2003-11-15, 01:19   Link #1
Kawaii_Sennin
She's a man, baby!!!

Dvd?

How do I play downloaded anime on my DVD player? I'm new to this and it would be greatly apprecitated if someone told me how.

Last edited by Kawaii_Sennin; 2003-11-15 at 01:31.
Kawaii_Sennin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-15, 02:25   Link #2
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii_Sennin
How do I play downloaded anime on my DVD player? I'm new to this and it would be greatly apprecitated if someone told me how.
Burn a VCD with the anime and run it in your (possibly able to read VDCs) DVD player.
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-15, 02:27   Link #3
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
Do you mean burning the anime (after reenoding) onto a cd(VCD) and playing it through a DVD player attached to a television?

edit: oops Flash beat me.
Vulkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-15, 02:49   Link #4
Kawaii_Sennin
She's a man, baby!!!

Where can I get these VCDs? And how do I reencode the anime?

Last edited by Kawaii_Sennin; 2003-11-15 at 03:00.
Old 2003-11-15, 15:14   Link #5
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Ok, I've only done this a few times and I wasn't really satisfied with the video quality but you:
(Feel free to correct me, guys, if I forgot something or made an error here)

1. Open file in Virtual Dub. Ignore the VBR audio error message that'll pop up. Under File menu click Save .wav. This is taking the audio of the file and making it into a wav file. Ok, close virtual dub.
2. Next Open TMPGENC. A window pops up. I'm American so I use VCD NTSC Click next.
a. Enter the location of your video file and audio file you just ripped in the places provided.
b. Click next until you get to a window which looks like this:

c. Click the expert button. A new window pops up. Click the advanced tab and then make the window look like this:

(Credit to MTB{SOLO} again for the image and my thanks for correcting me on the incorrect one I had before.)
d. Then hit ok, and click next. You get to a window to define where the file output is. Define that, hit ok, and it encodes.
3. Open VCD easy and add the mpegs you encoded to the box at the bottom labeled MPEG1 VIDEO/PICTURE/AUDIO files. I belive you can do 80minutes of video per VCD. Name your Volume Label above and define the name of the .bin file it's going to create. Uncheck simulate and check burn. Hit go!
a Note: some people may have trouble with getting VCDEasy to burn (an error will pop up about cdrdao and aspi) You can take the cd image file VCDEasy creates and use another program to burn it with also. I was particularly impressed with Nero's software. It's pretty easy to use and burn.
4. Now put the cd in your DVD player and it should run provided it's able to play VCDs. Most DVD players I've encountered are. You will notice a slight loss of quality but on your television it's nothing to be upset about. Do not however, what the VCD on your computer. It will look very bad. I think someone mentioned to me once the way television renders it's picture has a smoothing affect so the quality of VCD will look better on television due to that smoothing.
Note This is a rather basic set of instructions for VCD creation. There are other useful things you can add to VCD. For example, I usually like to put chapters in mine. Also, I've even read of people putting menus on their VCD. While that is beyond my skill level. Feel free to experiment.

Last edited by Vulkar; 2004-02-21 at 22:53.
Old 2003-11-15, 18:01   Link #6
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

I beleive that, if you use WinDVD as your DVD player that you can play episodes on it. You just need the right codecs...

Or so I was told, though I really have no idea if that is correct information or not.
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-15, 19:58   Link #7
Animaniac
On leave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiDusk
I beleive that, if you use WinDVD as your DVD player that you can play episodes on it. You just need the right codecs...

Or so I was told, though I really have no idea if that is correct information or not.
I think he meant standalone/set-top DVD player. ><
Animaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-15, 20:20   Link #8
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

ah ^^
My mistake
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-16, 01:42   Link #9
Kawaii_Sennin
She's a man, baby!!!

Is there a simpler way of doing this? I'm not computer savy like the rest of the people on this forum.
Old 2003-11-16, 14:40   Link #10
NenMaster

that is a pretty simple way to convert your anime
NenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-17, 13:26   Link #11
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by NenMaster
that is a pretty simple way to convert your anime
Yep, it's easy and worth it if you have a nice and comfortable setup for your Tv. I used to burn episodes of Gundam SEED to VCDs and watch them on my DVD player. I have a surround sound setup so, it was nice to get the full loud effect of the explosions and such. While it isn't 5.1 surround I can set my receiver to break up the sound and put it through certain speakers, so it's a nice effect.

Ok, I updated my last post with further instructions. Sorry, I know I promised to finish it yesterday, but I got sick with fever, cough, et al. I was doing the whole bedrest and fluids thing while watching a bit of anime to pass the time. I'm feeling much better now (thank goodness) and I hope my "guide" is helpful.
Old 2003-11-17, 20:57   Link #12
dark_breaka
Äñìmê Frëã|{

I would also like to add in that the quality is better if you convert the .avi file into a dvd file instead of a vcd the quality is way better but this can only be done if you have a dvd burner if you do then this is the better way but you can only usually fit
four ep per dvd-r if you encode it to a high quality and also you can add in sub menus so that you can pick the ep you wanna wach instead of fast fowarding to the one you wanna see.
dark_breaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 21:53   Link #13
Poueblo

Umm, Ive burned several vcds, but the resolution is always wrong. It cuts off the edges so some of the subtitles are cut off.. any way to fix this? I use nero..
Poueblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 21:55   Link #14
flammie
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poueblo
Umm, Ive burned several vcds, but the resolution is always wrong. It cuts off the edges so some of the subtitles are cut off.. any way to fix this? I use nero..
Slightly off topic, but the subtitles being cut off are due to an overscan issue. My question is, will getting a digital tv fix this kind of problem?
flammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 21:57   Link #15
Poueblo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flammie
Slightly off topic, but the subtitles being cut off are due to an overscan issue. My question is, will getting a digital tv fix this kind of problem?
lol dunno if u meant i was off topic, but srry if i was.. what i was trying ot say, is that it cuts off some of the border of the anime, and only shows the middle, which it zooms in on.. the quality is still ok, but u cant read well, and see whats going on at the sides of the screens..
Poueblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 22:07   Link #16
flammie
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poueblo
lol dunno if u meant i was off topic, but srry if i was.. what i was trying ot say, is that it cuts off some of the border of the anime, and only shows the middle, which it zooms in on.. the quality is still ok, but u cant read well, and see whats going on at the sides of the screens..
Actually, I meant I was off topic.

Yea, what you are describing is overscan, which is a definitely a problem with old, cheap, analog tvs. CRT monitors also have that issue, but we can adjust the width and height of the image. I would expect digital tvs not to have the overscan problem (hence my question).
Old 2004-02-02, 22:15   Link #17
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Poueblo yeah, there is a way. when you reencode the video reencode at a different size. It creates a black border around the image which is then obscured in place of the actual video by the sides of the tv. Like in the example picture which is encoding 334X270. Each tv is different so unfortunately you'll have to try several times to get the perfect size. You could need a size slightly larger or smaller than this example depending on your tv.
Old 2004-02-09, 23:29   Link #18
Fred The Fat

Unhappy Playback On TV set

Hey! If someone could help me it would be greatly appriciated. Ime trying to burn my episodes of rockman.exe Axess to vcd, so I can watch them on my dvd player. I'm using TMPGEnc to encode to MPEG1. I'm encoding at 4:3 525 line (NTSC) non-interlaced. The resolution is 352x340. Now everything works fine and i burn the disk with nero. but when i put the disc in my dvd player, it cuts off the edges, making it so i cant read some of the subtitles. Is there something ime doing wrong? I've tryed it in 3 differnt dvd players getting the same result. the immage is fine running off my computer though. Could someone pLeAsE help me!?!?!?
Fred The Fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-10, 01:21   Link #19
flammie
White Dragon

Use tmpgenc to put a black ring around it to compensate for overscan.
Old 2004-02-10, 08:06   Link #20
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Try this thread