2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.11%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-16, 17:04   Link #81
Eryops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
You know those TIPS were traslated for a reason. It's just being lazy if you complain about how something doesn't make sense and haven't looked at all the resources given.
The creators of the show shouldn't expect the audience to be familiar with the source material to be able to understand a series. An offhand comment about how the traps that Satoko has spent years setting up are now being used would have sufficed.

Of course that would raise the question of why the Yamainu aren't aware that the mountain is full of traps. After all, they've been working in Hinamizawa for years and have been monitoring Rika, and by extension the shrine and the area surrounding it, so you'd expect them to have come across Satoko's traps in the past.
Old 2007-12-16, 17:07   Link #82
BakaOnna

Hahaha, some parts of this episode gave me a good laugh, especially the tone and replies Otonogi gave Takano when they failed.

It's so sad seeing such an excellent series end. I'm glad I was able to experience it since the first season aired. I had a fun time watching it while it lasted.
Old 2007-12-16, 17:16   Link #83
Captain Spyro
Captain of the Dragonfury

Send a message via ICQ to Captain Spyro Send a message via AIM to Captain Spyro Send a message via MSN to Captain Spyro Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Spyro
There, now I'm finally caught up to episode #23 of Kai. I can now comment in these threads.

I really didn't have too much to complain about in this episode. Wasn't perfect and a bit too silly in certain places, but it's not something to take too silly in certain parts. Overall, a solid 8.

Gotta say, I like Kasai and Tomitake a lot more than I did in the past.
Old 2007-12-16, 17:50   Link #84
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

It has kinda bugged me that the main cast has gone out of their way to avoid killing or even injuring these members of a hostile group that is actively working to kill them and everyone in their village. I guess them seeing the whole thing like a club game makes this make more sense. I suppose it's probably better for them to avoid killing them and ending up with blood on their hands in the final world anyway, though I can't say I'd definitely do the same were I in their situation.

That aside it was a great episode, I also thought Otonogi's replies were great. His casual smile, shrug, "Mission failed" was hilarious. Kasai is also very awesome.
Old 2007-12-16, 18:29   Link #85
ayukanon45
Doujin Music Composer

Send a message via MSN to ayukanon45
What is wrong with the music?
If you think about it, the anime wouldn't go with the games music, as it sounds a little overly-sythetic.
The animes soundtrack pulls off what the scene gives off.
oh yeah, 10/10
Old 2007-12-16, 18:51   Link #86
BakaOnna

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
It has kinda bugged me that the main cast has gone out of their way to avoid killing or even injuring these members of a hostile group that is actively working to kill them and everyone in their village. I guess them seeing the whole thing like a club game makes this make more sense. I suppose it's probably better for them to avoid killing them and ending up with blood on their hands in the final world anyway, though I can't say I'd definitely do the same were I in their situation.

That aside it was a great episode, I also thought Otonogi's replies were great. His casual smile, shrug, "Mission failed" was hilarious. Kasai is also very awesome.
If they did kill the Yamainu, there's a high chance that someone will get Hinamizawa Syndrome. The whole point of Kai was why the group shouldn't kill. They become stressed, paranoid, and eventually fall victim to Hinamizawa Syndrome. Killing the Yamainu will not help to achieve anything.
Old 2007-12-16, 19:25   Link #87
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaOnna View Post
If they did kill the Yamainu, there's a high chance that someone will get Hinamizawa Syndrome. The whole point of Kai was why the group shouldn't kill. They become stressed, paranoid, and eventually fall victim to Hinamizawa Syndrome. Killing the Yamainu will not help to achieve anything.
Yeah, I get that and it's kinda what I meant by them not wanting to have blood on their hands, that they would develop that. I should have been clearer. It still seems a bit strange to me though and I think the situations are different; this is self-defense against someone who's shooting at you, not murdering an abusive uncle in cold blood. Though I guess that doesn't really matter as far as the Syndrome is concerned. It still seems like they could have at least captured some of them in Ep 22 though instead of just chasing them out of the house. Ah well, guess I am reading too much into it, it's a pretty minor thing and doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the series at all anyway.
Old 2007-12-16, 21:45   Link #88
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
They're constantly breaking the mood with absurdities that have no place in an anime with a serious plot like Higurashi.
So true. The Yamainu are so useless that Takano might as well have saved her money and just bought a box of toy soldiers. The last arc is like a whole different anime from the Higurashi I grew to love. I am not even going to bother listing the "coincidences" and implausibilities in the plot any more as they are too many and if one can't see them while watching the anime no amount of convincing would change that. Let's just say there are fairy tales in which the way the good guys get to the happy end is way more plausible and feels less forced than in Higurashi.

Shion has been the only bright spot in the last two episodes.

Old 2007-12-16, 21:56   Link #89
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Well yeah, this is supposed to be Higurashi's good end, and if you have played some Japanese visual novels you know that good ends tend to be a little in the convenient side. Enjoy the story for what it is: a reward for all the struggles the characters have gone through, so in this side luck is finally on their side. Of course even I, the endlessly optimistic guy who only look on the bright side thinks that it could have been handled a little better, but hey, I think at how this is the orginal author first work and remember to cut him some slack, he will get better with endings on the future so for the moment let's give him the praise he deserves.

If you feel a little more sadistic than that then get the PS2 game and Miotsukushi-hen
Old 2007-12-17, 00:31   Link #90
Aethos

I have to agree. It's sad seeing this series come to an end. It's been a fun ride and to be honest I wish they'd go into a season 3 with Saikoroshi-hen and the PS2 arcs, but oh well...
Old 2007-12-17, 00:36   Link #91
lubczyk

I don't see what everyone's complaining about. Of course there are plot devices everywhere and logical fallacies and such. Sheezh!!! It happens in Shakespeare and Hollywood movies all the time. You're just being too nit picky to enjoy it. I've enjoyed the humor intertwined in the serious moments. It prevents from the audience from becoming numb to the tension.

Everything's a cliche people, get over it.

I give this episode a 10 out of 10.

The series has been a roller coaster ride for me and I can't wait for the finale.
Old 2007-12-17, 01:20   Link #92
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HashiriyaR32 View Post
Why the hell did they not take the MP5SD's from the weapon rack just before they left the clinic? They could surely use some more firepower.
Because this weapon isn't used by the yamainu men, which would be obviously a problem to infiltrate.
Also, Akasaka doesn't know how to wield machine guns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryops View Post
Of course that would raise the question of why the Yamainu aren't aware that the mountain is full of traps. After all, they've been working in Hinamizawa for years and have been monitoring Rika, and by extension the shrine and the area surrounding it, so you'd expect them to have come across Satoko's traps in the past.
Monitoring Rika doesn't mean they are that close to her. Furthermore, there are obviously instances they cannot tail her (other stuff around, certitute the target won't got anywhere else etc).
Finally, Satoko is doing her SERIOUS TRAPS business only on very rare occasions, and the "mine field" in the forest is one of them. IIRC, she didn't show this to many people nor several times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayukanon45 View Post
What is wrong with the music?
If you think about it, the anime wouldn't go with the games music, as it sounds a little overly-sythetic.
The animes soundtrack pulls off what the scene gives off.
oh yeah, 10/10
Sorry, but Dai's track are nowhere near of "overly synthetic"...
Old 2007-12-17, 04:43   Link #93
Cheezy
brrr

Send a message via MSN to Cheezy
I like the little comedy bits that was thrown around in this episode. It's the last arc and a good ending after all.

"I'm sorry but I can't serve you a cup of tea in this mountain"
Hah
Old 2007-12-17, 04:47   Link #94
ImpulseRAven
I <3 Kotomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezy View Post
I like the little comedy bits that was thrown around in this episode. It's the last arc and a good ending after all.

"I'm sorry but I can't serve you a cup of tea in this mountain"
Hah
I thinks it was more of his resentment towards her being his commanding officer and expecting to be treated like a princess on the battlefield.
Old 2007-12-17, 04:53   Link #95
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

^ indeed, this is the reason why Okonogi does snarky jokes about her being the "princess", and dating with Tomitake.
Takano is obviously completely ignorant about battlefield and such, just conceit and ordering stuff because of her "generous" payement towards the yamainu.

Considering how she is using them as tools and she don't exactly care much of what they do as long there is result, no wonder why Okonogi is quite nonchalant.
Old 2007-12-17, 05:48   Link #96
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

It's the rapid mood changes that get to me. When we're at this stage of a dramatic series, you don't want to see a bunch of supposedly trained military men treading logs in a comical fashion. I'm so disappointed that, when a series has done so well with tone and atmosphere for two seasons, that the penultimate episode would have almost none.

I have no qualms about the plot (other than the numerous conveniences in this arc, but I've swallowed those, since one can explain them with the probabilistic nature of the universe), but the execution in this ep was, at stages, really bad. Some of those scenes with the Yamainu were really tacky.

I'm a trained mercenary, lol. I'm gonna run away with the radio screaming like a girl.
Old 2007-12-17, 08:52   Link #97
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Is it just me or did the first season not have Satoshi saying "muu" I can't remember if it did or not
Old 2007-12-17, 09:29   Link #98
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Not it didn't have any of these.
That said, Satoshi's screentime was utterly short in S1. At least this mentions proves they are trying to not drop too many details.
Old 2007-12-17, 11:23   Link #99
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Not it didn't have any of these.
That said, Satoshi's screentime was utterly short in S1. At least this mentions proves they are trying to not drop too many details.
Though it is kinda out of the blue
Old 2007-12-17, 11:29   Link #100
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
It happens in Shakespeare and Hollywood movies all the time.
So? Maybe the naysayers don't like the typical Hollywood plots either, and as we all know Shakepeare has other qualities apart from plot intricasy. And there are different degrees of contrivances and coincidences, off the top of my head I can not even remember a single book or movie where so many things happened in a perfectly convenient fashion for the protagonist(s). More than half a dozen armed trained soldiers running away from a single unarmed man? Even the likes of Commando and Rambo would have trouble matching this feat... And what's more this in total contrast to previous chapters in which the Yamainu and Takano were capable people who achieved their objectives every time (against weaker opposition, granted, but still) bar Watanagashi/Meakashi. And the retarded mood changes are the icing of the cake. Say whatever you like about the past of the Hinamizawa club members, for me it's non-sense they were calmer than a Stalingad veteran would be - and all that in a battle against enemies who are supposed to be much more numerous and professionals armed to the teeth to boot. They were more nervous in the bloody water pistol fights once upon a time, this does not make any sense whatsover unless we assume they were too retarded to understand the extent of the danger and the odds against them.

Quote:
other than the numerous conveniences in this arc, but I've swallowed those, since one can explain them with the probabilistic nature of the universe
In what universe, may I ask there is any chance whatsoever of at least 8 people armed with firearms running away from one who is unarmed? And btw, these very same people had just overpowered opponents armed with Kalashnikov mere minutes ago. Of course, you can say that there is a probability of trained mercenaries all forgetting they actually had firearms in the very same moment but we might as well call that an impossibility. We are not talking about improbable things happening agaisnt all odds, we are talking about impossible things happening.

Closed Thread