AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2009-04-08, 10:19   Link #321
martino
makes no files now

I really, and really suggest you read this first.

You're just copy-pasting without understanding how it works, that's not the way to get around.
Old 2009-04-08, 19:43   Link #322
jofori89

Send a message via MSN to jofori89 Send a message via Yahoo to jofori89
Sorry, demo i actual don't understand it mean.
jofori89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 09:26   Link #323
Orochi^
未来

Hello, everyone :]

I'm having some encoding trouble which is driving me crazy with an anime here. I tried a lot of things, like encoding without any filter, encoding with some filters, encoding with the Insane x264 profile [0.6 fps D:], and the result is always the same. When I open the .avs in vdub, it looks good. Not perfect, but, good. Then, when I encode it, the output comes out really terrible.

Here is some comparison screenshots:

.avs opened in vdub

encoded

.avs opened in vdub

encoded

Of course, that's only in dark scenes. Bright ones are always perfect D:

I understand that the vdub opened avs is compressionless, so it naturally should look better, but... The encoded one is just AWFUL D:

So, this is why I'm here, asking for the pros some help. I rather do this than releasing something that might make everyone blind D: I never studied a lot x264 encoding, since the default profiles and some simple filters usually did the job pretty well. But, this one... :\

Here's the avs script:

Code:
LoadPlugin("C:\x264\fft3dfilter.dll")
DGDecode_mpeg2source("air.d2v")
ColorMatrix(hints=false, interlaced=true, threads=0)
tfm(order=1).tdecimate()
crop( 4, 0, -4, 0)
Lanczos4Resize(848,480)
fft3dfilter()
gradfun2db()
Trim(6,0)
And here's the x264 settings I used to those screens encode:

Code:
"C:\x264\x264.exe" --pass 2 --bitrate 1150 --stats "air.stats" --ref 12 --mixed-refs --bframes 16 --b-pyramid --direct auto --deblock 1:1 --subme 8 --trellis 2 --psy-rd 0.6:0 --partitions all  --8x8dct --vbv-maxrate 17500 --me umh --threads auto --thread-input --aq-mode 0 --progress --no-psnr --no-ssim --output "air.mkv" "air.avs"
Thank you so much, any help will be hugely appreciated :}
Orochi^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 10:56   Link #324
Scab
Saizen
*Fansubber

x264 fails to retain the grain you add with gradfun2b. Re-enable AQ and tweak psy-rd. Adding --no-dct-decimate can help too. Note that when encoding to a target bitrate these are all likely to raise your quants noticeably. Consider running some --crf tests to see the effects properly.
Scab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 16:57   Link #325
Orochi^
未来

Thank you for the answer, Scab. I tried out those settings you adviced me, but, it's still bad. Just a little better, but, not even close to what we see on vdub. Even with --crf 1 the result remains bad. So I assume I'd need to filter the .avs in someway that x264 keeps up the input as close as possible.

Any ideas?
Old 2009-04-15, 18:28   Link #326
TheRyuu
warpsharpened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orochi^ View Post
Thank you for the answer, Scab. I tried out those settings you adviced me, but, it's still bad. Just a little better, but, not even close to what we see on vdub. Even with --crf 1 the result remains bad. So I assume I'd need to filter the .avs in someway that x264 keeps up the input as close as possible.

Any ideas?
Try gradfun2dbmod.
This introduces grain in areas that are prone to banding instead of just dithering it.

Also in order for x264 to keep said grain, start with stuff like --psy-rd 0.8:0.2 --aq-strength 0.8.
Adjust as necessary. You should definitely NOT disable aq.

And as scab said, run a --crf 18/21 encode to see what bitrate you might need to achive good results.

Edit:
Furthermore, fft3dfilter() on defaults (sigma=2) is quite strong (this is also a factor which introduces banding).
I would also suggest doing anamorphic encoding (if it's a dvd) instead of resizing it to 848x480, but that's just a minor suggestion.
TheRyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 18:33   Link #327
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

If you can see any visual quality loss at CRF 1, there's something wrong in your decoder or processing chain, not x264.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 18:55   Link #328
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
If you can see any visual quality loss at CRF 1, there's something wrong in your decoder or processing chain, not x264.
Yeah, I think I agree... This may be a colorspace conversion issue in you h.264 decoding chain using the codecs on your system versus the uncompressed video decoding chain that is used when loading the .avs

Try taking one of your encoded files and loading it in avisynth with Directshowsource and playing that .avs...
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 18:16   Link #329
Orochi^
未来

Thank you, everyone.

In fact, opening with avs's DirectShowSource showed a better image, but, still not good. Then I adjusted the other settings you adviced me, changed to gradfun2gbmod, changed some other minor settings, and it got really better.

Thank you A LOT for the help, you all saved me :}

Anything you need (if I can help), PM me or something.

Thanks again! :]
Old 2009-04-18, 00:14   Link #330
SHiN-gx
Wanderers
*Fansubber

Send a message via Yahoo to SHiN-gx
I have an AVI clip of an old anime with 29.976 fps (not ripped by me) and it's riddled with what you call "ghost" artifacts. Is there a way to remove those artifacts? It's a different story compared to decimating it using the original source.

Also I append three clips into one AVI file and each clip has different set of filters, etc. and I ended up with this:

Code:
AviSource("op.avi").crop(6, 0, 0, 0).unblend(threshold=5, dthresh=0.50, show=false).lanczos4resize(640, 480) + AviSource("ep85.avi").crop(8,2,-2,-2).Levels(0, 1.3, 255, 0, 255).Tweak(0.0, 1.0, 3.0, 1.0).Stab().unblend(threshold=5, dthresh=0.50, show=false).lanczos4resize(640, 480) + AviSource("ed.avi").crop(6, 0, 0, 0).unblend(threshold=5, dthresh=0.50, show=false).lanczos4resize(640, 480)
Is there a way to simplify this?

Thanks.
SHiN-gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 00:37   Link #331
TheRyuu
warpsharpened

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHiN-gx View Post
I have an AVI clip of an old anime with 29.976 fps (not ripped by me) and it's riddled with what you call "ghost" artifacts. Is there a way to remove those artifacts? It's a different story compared to decimating it using the original source.

Also I append three clips into one AVI file and each clip has different set of filters, etc. and I ended up with this:

Code:
AviSource("op.avi").crop(6, 0, 0, 0).unblend(threshold=5, dthresh=0.50, show=false).lanczos4resize(640, 480) + AviSource("ep85.avi").crop(8,2,-2,-2).Levels(0, 1.3, 255, 0, 255).Tweak(0.0, 1.0, 3.0, 1.0).Stab().unblend(threshold=5, dthresh=0.50, show=false).lanczos4resize(640, 480) + AviSource("ed.avi").crop(6, 0, 0, 0).unblend(threshold=5, dthresh=0.50, show=false).lanczos4resize(640, 480)

Thanks.
Try like, deblending filters or something?
IIRC there's really no 'good' way to deal with these artifacts.
Old 2009-04-18, 00:59   Link #332
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHiN-gx View Post

Code:

Thanks.
You're SOL, generally. Unblending-type filters only really work in really pristine conditions, which old anime does not have.

Normally the blending that you'd get is because of the deinterlacing/poor IVTC that was done, probably in the ripping step, and older shows often have horribly composited scenes where, say, the background has a different cadence than the foreground and true IVTC is basically impossible.
If this happens and is blend deinterlaced but not decimated than you could get a pretty horribly blended rip, with zero way to recreate original frames outside of like, manually redrawing each frame. Which is probably what you have.
Frankly, I'd try hard to find the original source, probably DVD somewhere. That's the only way you'll really be able to improve the quality.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2009-04-18, 01:05   Link #333
SHiN-gx
Wanderers
*Fansubber

Send a message via Yahoo to SHiN-gx
^ Bummer. =/

Thanks for your extra info and I guess I'll go cry in a corner, deal what I have or look for the source. :P
SHiN-gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 05:55   Link #334
comatose

Actually, I found that in many shows, there's minor field blending - so you have a frame that's blended followed by a frame that isn't (because anime has dupes, hooray!)... so in many cases FreezeFrame-ing is a decent solution that works for everything but pans.

Obviously though, it's very frustrating and boring as hell.
comatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 06:19   Link #335
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

If the blended frame/clean frame pattern is consistent (haha yeah right) YATTA has some semi-automated ways to freezeframe stuff one scene at a time or so.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 06:58   Link #336
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by comatose View Post
Actually, I found that in many shows, there's minor field blending - so you have a frame that's blended followed by a frame that isn't (because anime has dupes, hooray!)... so in many cases FreezeFrame-ing is a decent solution that works for everything but pans.

Obviously though, it's very frustrating and boring as hell.
Yeah, that's great, except it'll take in insane amount of time and has to basically be done manually.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2009-04-18, 09:33   Link #337
jofori89

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Code:
Overlay(clip, clip overlay, int ''x'', int ''y'', clip ''mask'', float ''opacity'', string ''mode'', bool ''greymask'', string ''output'', bool ''ignore_conditional'', bool ''pc_range'')
Code:
int ''x'', int ''y''
rtfm
Overlay(last, logo, 600, 80, clip ''mask'', float ''opacity'', string ''mode'', bool ''greymask'', string ''output'', bool ''ignore_conditional'', bool ''pc_range'')
What dose it mean?
Old 2009-04-18, 10:02   Link #338

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofori89 View Post
Overlay(last, logo, 600, 80, clip ''mask'', float ''opacity'', string ''mode'', bool ''greymask'', string ''output'', bool ''ignore_conditional'', bool ''pc_range'')
What dose it mean?
avisynth documentation
50119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 21:07   Link #339
TheRyuu
warpsharpened

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofori89 View Post
What dose it mean?
Read the 'fine' manual. </stolen>
http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Overlay

and

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
I really, and really suggest you read this first.

You're just copy-pasting without understanding how it works, that's not the way to get around.
Old 2009-04-19, 19:25   Link #340
jofori89

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRyuu View Post
Read the 'fine' manual. </stolen>
http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Overlay

and
Thanks a lot,